Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paxton Lynch is now a Steeler!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Paxton Lynch is now a Steeler!

Tell me this guy doesn't remind you of early Big Ben...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdm3TayuSUo

Lynch's rookie season before he got injured. This reel ends with his pro day. Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah(I think I said Charles Davis earlier) NFL arm, ability to scramble/extend the play, accurate passer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bJ0-i1zRC0

The "can only throw 10 yards" comment is just plain silly.

For those that wonder if Lynch was selected too early. Here is the NFL Network calling Lynch a 1st round talent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7El03gPItQ

First game action ever for you all to critique.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6cB2h5wUx4

I'm saying this guy has insane ability. Looks like a young Big Ben 2.0 at times.

Here's a cold weather game vs the Chiefs. Looks a lot like Mason Rudolph last week taking what the defense would give and just moving the chains.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbZXsEyNNes

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Might be very premature to worship at the altar of Paxton Lynch.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Nice. I actually want big things for this ‘kid’. I got to meet his parents at some tailgates while he was at Memphis. Got to know his family some and where Paxton comes from. I’m rooting pretty darn hard for him to find some success here. Even as a backup. I have been saying for a while now that I think he would do well in the system the Steelers run. Of course NOW we have a completely new look to this offense. I still think(hope) Fichtner is a great QB coach for Lynch. Time will tell but you can’t find much wrong with his film.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Thanks, I enjoy the sprinkle of Irony now and then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Nice. I actually want big things for this ‘kid’. I got to meet his parents at some tailgates while he was at Memphis. Got to know his family some and where Paxton comes from. I’m rooting pretty darn hard for him to find some success here. Even as a backup. I have been saying for a while now that I think he would do well in the system the Steelers run. Of course NOW we have a completely new look to this offense. I still think(hope) Fichtner is a great QB coach for Lynch. Time will tell but you can’t find much wrong with his film.
    OK, good for you rooting for him. He could use it after being with his 3rd team in 4 years and only practice squad material.

There isn't going to be a completely new look to the Steelers offense. Pouncey said so in a post practice interview. Said the plays are all the same. I really don't understand this notion that Fichtner would somehow want to change the playbook that Rudolph has been reading and practicing for the last 2 seasons.

Thanks, I enjoy the sprinkle of Irony now and then.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, good for you rooting for him. He could use it after being with his 3rd team in 4 years and only practice squad material.

There isn't going to be a completely new look to the Steelers offense. Pouncey said so in a post practice interview. Said the plays are all the same. I really don't understand this notion that Fichtner would somehow want to change the playbook that Rudolph has been reading and practicing for the last 2 seasons.
    Really? “New look” as in personnel. This offense no longer runs through AB and Bell. Yes the playbook has been altered and will be some more moving forward. But “new look” meaning personnel.

I’m fairly certain the plan is to test Lynch out on the PS and if they like him he will move to the #2 QB role. That would demote Hodges back to PS. Why so snarky this morning?

Really? “New look” as in personnel. This offense no longer runs through AB and Bell. Yes the playbook has been altered and will be some more moving forward. But “new look” meaning personnel.

I’m fairly certain the plan is to test Lynch out on the PS and if they like him he will move to the #2 QB role. That would demote Hodges back to PS. Why so snarky this morning?
    New look from Week 1 to Week 3 is what I am talking about. We have known for a long time there would be no AB or Bell, so I am stating that the playbook hasn't changed since Ben injured his elbow.

Nothing snarky, just factual. ...I think that you might be sensitive to the reality that Lynch is with his 3rd team in 4 years and was passed over for Geno Smith. Perhaps you perceive that as snarky, but its just reality and pretty consistent storyline of a bust.

Well, I think your opinion is wrong. Facts are he didn’t put in the work in Denver. I don’t know if he got the big head because he went 1st round and thought he was safe, or maybe he just has never developed the work ethic. Whatever it was he “busted” out in Denver. Fact is Pete only keeps 2 QBs in Seattle usually. Geno beat him out fair and square for Wilson’s backup. Last question and I’m done with this: Do you honestly think Hodges is a better pure QB than Lynch? And if so, why did Hodges go undrafted and Lynch go 1st round?

Well, I think your opinion is wrong. Facts are he didn’t put in the work in Denver. I don’t know if he got the big head because he went 1st round and thought he was safe, or maybe he just has never developed the work ethic. Whatever it was he “busted” out in Denver. Fact is Pete only keeps 2 QBs in Seattle usually. Geno beat him out fair and square for Wilson’s backup. Last question and I’m done with this: Do you honestly think Hodges is a better pure QB than Lynch? And if so, why did Hodges go undrafted and Lynch go 1st round?
    Why so snarky this morning?

Scouts questioned Lynch's touch and accuracy in the pre draft process. Also some talk of him throwing wobbly footballs as well. He got drafted on size and athleticism and college production...kind of like Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Jamarcus Russell. Do I think Hodges is a better QB? I think he actually throws a more catchable football, showed good footwork and accuracy at the position in the preseason and slid in the pocket to look for open receivers quite well.

Hodges final performance of 10 for 20, 73 yds and INT wasn't a strong final showing. But neither was Lynch 1 for 7, 4 yards passing against the Raiders in the preseason finale. Not exactly a performance that says Pure NFL QB.

Why so snarky this morning?

Scouts questioned Lynch's touch and accuracy in the pre draft process. Also some talk of him throwing wobbly footballs as well. He got drafted on size and athleticism and college production...kind of like Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Jamarcus Russell. Do I think Hodges is a better QB? I think he actually throws a more catchable football, showed good footwork and accuracy at the position in the preseason and slid in the pocket to look for open receivers quite well.

Hodges final performance of 10 for 20, 73 yds and INT wasn't a strong final showing. But neither was Lynch 1 for 7, 4 yards passing against the Raiders in the preseason finale. Not exactly a performance that says Pure NFL QB.
    That wasn’t the question. But whatever.(teen snark)

That wasn’t the question. But whatever.(teen snark)
    In post 38 you say "well, I think your opinion is wrong." But I never posted an opinion, just facts:

1. Pouncey said the plays haven't changed with Rudolph as the starter
    2. Lynch is with his 3rd team in 4 years and lost the Seattle backup job to Geno Smith

I think you are a little sensitive to Lynch discussions, because you have a personal connection with him. That is an opinion.

In limited sampling of what I have seen of Lynch and Hodges, I think Hodges has shown that he has a better skillset to be an NFL QB than Lynch. I don't know who's parents cook better chicken at tailgates though.

In post 38 you say "well, I think your opinion is wrong." But I never posted an opinion, just facts:

1. Pouncey said the plays haven't changed with Rudolph as the starter
    2. Lynch is with his 3rd team in 4 years and lost the Seattle backup job to Geno Smith

I think you are a little sensitive to Lynch discussions, because you have a personal connection with him. That is an opinion.

In limited sampling of what I have seen of Lynch and Hodges, I think Hodges has shown that he has a better skillset to be an NFL QB than Lynch. I don't know who's parents cook better chicken at tailgates though.
    You think Hodges is the better pure QB? Ok that’s fine. I still think that opinion is wrong.

I would LOVE to find out which parents make the better tailgate food. I really would. I bet we would most likely disagree on that as well though. Especially since I’m not a big ‘tailgate chicken’ fan to start with.

You think Hodges is the better pure QB? Ok that’s fine. I still think that opinion is wrong.

I would LOVE to find out which parents make the better tailgate food. I really would. I bet we would most likely disagree on that as well though. Especially since I’m not a big ‘tailgate chicken’ fan to start with.
    I was giving the Samford crew a shot with the Alabama white sauce on the chicken, vs Memphis style sauce on BBQ chicken. I think ribs might be a mismatch.

You can disagree with my opinion that you pressed for, and we will see who the Steelers evaluate as better option to backup. Hodges actually had better college stats than Lynch in completion %, TD-INT ratio, Total Yds, Yds/attempt. He just isn't that tall. I think Lynch has a chance due to NFL experience, but he may just continue to display why he has been a 1st round bust.

I could go for some Memphis ribs right about now. Alas.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

And, hey ... the dude's a Yinzer. That can't hurt.

I posted a lot of Lynch footage in post #31 at the top of this page. Some are highlights but some are in game. Give them a look and you will see why I’m a fan. Of course getting to know his parents for a while made me like him on a more personal note as well, this guy is a very good football player. I’m glad he’s getting a shot with the Steelers because I think he can be an asset for the Steelers.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    At this point I think everyone has to acknowledge that any quarterback that wasn't currently under contract in the NFL isn't very good.
    ... Except perhaps Colin Kaepernick.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Practice squad QB? Does it really matter at that point? I feel bad for him......must be humbling to be a 1st round draft pick and end up being grateful being some teams last resort.

If we ever see him on the field, we have bigger problems.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I suspect in a handful of weeks Lynch and Hodges swap places.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I suspect in a handful of weeks Lynch and Hodges swap places.
    Why do you say that?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Because Hodges is still practice squad eligible, I think. Lynch’s physical traits are really intriguing. At some point the team is going to want to give Lynch a big # of practice reps to see if he's capable of harnessing that ability to NFL level decision making.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Serious question do they actually practice on the practice squad ?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Serious question do they actually practice on the practice squad ?
    Practice squad players participate in the normal team practices just like a “regular” player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Because Hodges is still practice squad eligible, I think. Lynch’s physical traits are really intriguing. At some point the team is going to want to give Lynch a big # of practice reps to see if he's capable of harnessing that ability to NFL level decision making.
    Lynch is practice squad eligible too, so I don't see a difference between him and Hodges there, as nobody is going to poach either off the PS. Hodges has a bit of a leg up in that he was in the offensive system the entire preseason. I can see the fact that Lynch has a bit of actual NFL game experience might give him an edge, but PS eligibility is moot point IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Practice squad players participate in the normal team practices just like a “regular” player.
    Cool good to know and thanks!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Cool good to know and thanks!
    Additionally, they act as a "red team" in drills. They scout the upcoming opponent and utilize their tactics against the active roster.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Lynch is practice squad eligible too, so I don't see a difference between him and Hodges there, as nobody is going to poach either off the PS. Hodges has a bit of a leg up in that he was in the offensive system the entire preseason. I can see the fact that Lynch has a bit of actual NFL game experience might give him an edge, but PS eligibility is moot point IMO.
    I still think, at some point, the Steelers bring Lynch up to the roster and try and get Hodges back through waivers onto the PS.

Give Lynch the small amount of reps that Rudolph isn't being force fed. See if Lynch can function as either the #2 or #1A.

I'm working from the starting point that Hodges isn't good enough.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

The "can only throw 10 yards" comment is just plain silly.

not if you watched him play in the NFL ....

averages about 6 yards per drop back ( and that is after run after the catch is figured in too )

so the guy isnt completing passes downfield he is a checkdown artist
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Additionally, they act as a "red team" in drills. They scout the upcoming opponent and utilize their tactics against the active roster.
    Thanks and also cool to know!

I still think, at some point, the Steelers bring Lynch up to the roster and try and get Hodges back through waivers onto the PS.

Give Lynch the small amount of reps that Rudolph isn't being force fed. See if Lynch can function as either the #2 or #1A.

I'm working from the starting point that Hodges isn't good enough.
    I haven't watch much of Lynch so won't comment on him. As for Hodges he passed my football eyeball test this preseason and think there is something there.