Thread: To everyone fretting that we just traded away our chance to draft a future franchise QB ...

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

To everyone fretting that we just traded away our chance to draft a future franchise QB ...

Consider the track record of first round QBs taken over the last ~20 years (with the jury still being out on the new QBs after 2017). It's a pretty unimpressive success ratio:

2016:
    1. Jared Goff, California, Rams
    2. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State, Eagles
    26. Paxton Lynch, Memphis, Broncos - BUST

2015:
    1. Jameis Winston, Florida State, Buccaneers BUST
    2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, Titans Borderline

2014:
    3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida, Jaguars BUST
    22. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, Browns BUST
    32. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, Vikings BUST

2013:
    16. EJ Manuel, Florida State, Bills BUST

2012:
    1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts
    2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins BUST
    8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins BUST
    22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns BUST

2011:
    1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers
    8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans BUST
    10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars BUST
    12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings BUST

2010:
    1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams Borderline
    25. Tim Tebow, Florida, Broncos BUST

2009:
    1. Matthew Stafford, Georgia, Lions
    5. Mark Sanchez, USC, Jets BUST
    17. Josh Freeman, Kansas State, Buccaneers BUST

2008:
    3. Matt Ryan, Boston College, Falcons
    18. Joe Flacco, Delaware, Ravens

2007:
    1. JaMarcus Russell, LSU, Raiders BUST
    22. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame, Browns BUST

2006:
    3. Vince Young, Texas, Titans BUST
    10. Matt Leinart, USC, Cardinals BUST
    11. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, Broncos Borderline

2005:
    1. Alex Smith, Utah, 49ers Borderline
    24. Aaron Rodgers, Cal, Packers
    25. Jason Campbell, Auburn, Redskins BUST

2004:
    1. Eli Manning, Mississippi, Chargers
    4. Philip Rivers, North Carolina State, Giants
    11. Ben Roethlisberger, Miami (Ohio), Steelers
    22. J.P. Losman, Tulane, Bills BUST

2003:
    1. Carson Palmer, USC, Bengals
    7. Byron Leftwich, Marshall, Jaguars BUST
    19. Kyle Boller, Cal, Ravens BUST
    22. Rex Grossman, Florida, Bears Borderline

2002:
    1. David Carr, Fresno State, Texans BUST
    3. Joey Harrington, Oregon, Lions BUST
    32. Patrick Ramsey, Tulane, Redskins BUST

2001:
    1. Michael Vick, Virginia Tech, Falcons

2000:
    18. Chad Pennington, Marshall, Jets

Albeit, this is a subjective analysis - but by my estimation, that's a BUST or borderline BUST status of roughly 7 in 10 first-round QBs taken. Also, 26 of those QBs were top 10 picks, 16 of whom were busts or borderline busts.

It's not encouraging math. More than 60% of QBs taken in the top 10 have either outright sucked, or have been merely average at best. Even if we have a terrible season and would've been in a position to draft Ben's heir apparent with a top 10 pick, it's more likely than not - given historical precedent that this QB would fail.

This makes me feel that much better about the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: To everyone fretting that we just traded away our chance to draft a future franchise QB ...

While I don't agree with all of your assessments (or whoever wrote this), I've always held the opinion that developmental quarterbacks is the way to go in the absence of a sure-fire prospect (Manning, Elway, Luck, etc.). Personally, I think Rudolph may end up being the best QB in the 2018 draft.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: To everyone fretting that we just traded away our chance to draft a future franchise QB ...

I don't know why anyone would think this is the time we need to draft the "heir apparent" QB. We already did that last year and have not yet seen anything to indicate he's going to be a bust. If he sucks, it looks like we have Ben back next year anyway. It's a free one-year audition to see if Rudolph can play in the NFL.

I would also point to our track record of drafting DBs:

Golson - BUST
    Burns - BUST
    Davis - BUST
    Edmunds - looking shaky

So, if we were going to draft a DB highly next year, as seems likely, at least this way we know we're getting someone who's not useless. The Dolphins took all the risk and we get the payoff for the same pick. The more I think about it in those terms, the more I like the trade.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Honestly think RG3 coulda been good but his career basically was over after his injury in the playoffs, he was never the same again

Though that's the risk you take whenever you pick an 'athletic' qb who gets by on that athleticism. As soon as they lose the speed, they lost a lot of what made them good.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Honestly think RG3 coulda been good but his career basically was over after his injury in the playoffs, he was never the same again

Though that's the risk you take whenever you pick an 'athletic' qb who gets by on that athleticism. As soon as they lose the speed, they lost a lot of what made them good.
    It's partly that, and partly that as soon as a QB has any success, the team wants to put him in bubble wrap. So all these mobile QBs are told they have to become traditional drop-back pocket passers, and the offense is redesigned to force them to play safer. So they have one good year and then they suck because they're being made to do something they're not good at.

Much as I dislike the guy, I have to say I think that's the biggest reason Kaepernick sucked after his one good year. They were scared of injury, so they didn't put him in a position to succeed. RG3 probably could've been better for longer even after the injury if he didn't get the same treatment. Russel Wilson is the only one recently who's been allowed to keep playing the way that made him good, and he's the only one who stayed good.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    While I don't agree with all of your assessments (or whoever wrote this), I've always held the opinion that developmental quarterbacks is the way to go in the absence of a sure-fire prospect (Manning, Elway, Luck, etc.). Personally, I think Rudolph may end up being the best QB in the 2018 draft.
    Look at how quickly the 2018 class is already unraveling:
    1) The Cardinals have already cut bait with Josh Rosen (which is comical ineptitude).
    2) Josh Allen has shown himself to be barely a 50% passer in the NFL ... which has a Brady Quinn v2.0 feel already to his career.
    3) Lamar Jackson has yet to show he's capable of being more than a one-trick wildcat pony (I'll eat my words if he proves me wrong).
    4) Sam Darnold has nearly as many picks (15) as he does TDs (19) in his career. Hardly earth-shattering.

Of all the 1st rounders last year, only Mayfield appears to be the real deal - but if he routinely pull off Russell Wilson Houdini acts with his diminutive size, he may get exposed as well. Rudolph may very well end up being the best QB of that class. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It's partly that, and partly that as soon as a QB has any success, the team wants to put him in bubble wrap. So all these mobile QBs are told they have to become traditional drop-back pocket passers, and the offense is redesigned to force them to play safer. So they have one good year and then they suck because they're being made to do something they're not good at.
    I disagree with that assessment. RG3 was lights-out as a rookie, but Washington seemed bound and determined to get the guy killed at any cost. They constantly had him rolling out, running naked bootlegs, getting blasted on every throw. The way Washington exposed him, it was only a matter of time before they turned his knee into oatmeal.

It's a shame, really. He never got his confidence back after that injury, and it effectively put his career into a death spiral. The boneheads in DC own all of it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lamar Jackson has been passing all over the place...almost 600 yards in two weeks...lol. Josh Allen has been pretty damn good for the Bills too. 2 rushing TDs. He’s pretty much winning games for them. Instead of just looking at the stat sheet, you may want to watch them play a little bit. Goff may be the most overrated QB in the league as far as talent goes. If McVay doesn’t baby him, he shits his pants and goes into the fetal position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Lamar Jackson has been passing all over the place...almost 600 yards in two weeks...lol. Josh Allen has been pretty damn good for the Bills too. 2 rushing TDs. He’s pretty much winning games for them. Instead of just looking at the stat sheet, you may want to watch them play a little bit. Goff may be the most overrated QB in the league as far as talent goes. If McVay doesn’t baby him, he shits his pants and goes into the fetal position.
    Jackson has played the Dolphins ... and the Cardinals. Let's hold off anointing him the next Joe Montana until he actually faces a competent NFL defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I disagree with that assessment. RG3 was lights-out as a rookie, but Washington seemed bound and determined to get the guy killed at any cost. They constantly had him rolling out, running naked bootlegs, getting blasted on every throw. The way Washington exposed him, it was only a matter of time before they turned his knee into oatmeal.

It's a shame, really. He never got his confidence back after that injury, and it effectively put his career into a death spiral. The boneheads in DC own all of it.
    Washington with RG3 was an extreme example of how NOT to handle a mobile quarterback. The first part of what you said, about his rookie year, is exactly true. They went WAY overboard trying to overplay the mobility thing. Then went to the other extreme the following year - Griffin couldn't even play his game. I still think he had enough left to be effective if they'd not restricted him so much, but we'll never know.

Kaepernick's first year of regular action, when SF made the Super Bowl, was probably the exact right way to use a mobile QB. Give him free reign to take off and make plays when they're there, but don't run a ton of QB scrambles by design. But they still got scared after that first year and made him try to be a drop-back passer, and he sucked shit at that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

The jury is still out ask this question after we can see what Mason can do this season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

To everyone fretting that we just traded away our chance to draft a future franchise QB ...

Jackson has played the Dolphins ... and the Cardinals. Let's hold off anointing him the next Joe Montana until he actually faces a competent NFL defense.
    No ones calling him Montana...lol. But he’s been far from a slouch at this point. You really can’t say either way until he’s played through a good amount of the schedule. Just like we need to see Mason play through some of the schedule and see some teams get game tape on them.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

There's also the question of who in next year's draft class looks like a world- class QB. The only senior NCAA QB I've been scouting is Nate Stanley of the Hawkeyes. I consider him decent but not awesome.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Look at how quickly the 2018 class is already unraveling:
    1) The Cardinals have already cut bait with Josh Rosen (which is comical ineptitude).
    2) Josh Allen has shown himself to be barely a 50% passer in the NFL ... which has a Brady Quinn v2.0 feel already to his career.
    3) Lamar Jackson has yet to show he's capable of being more than a one-trick wildcat pony (I'll eat my words if he proves me wrong).
    4) Sam Darnold has nearly as many picks (15) as he does TDs (19) in his career. Hardly earth-shattering.

Of all the 1st rounders last year, only Mayfield appears to be the real deal - but if he routinely pull off Russell Wilson Houdini acts with his diminutive size, he may get exposed as well. Rudolph may very well end up being the best QB of that class. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass?
    I think you're seriously early on all four of these guys. Pump your breaks a bit before you label everyone a bust.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

No ones calling him Montana...lol. But he’s been far from a slouch at this point. You really can’t say either way until he’s played through a good amount of the schedule. Just like we need to see Mason play through some of the schedule and see some teams get game tape on them.
    I agree with you. Jackson needs time to prove he's legit long-term or not. But he's shown me something the past two games for sure. With his legs...and his arm. And so it will go with Mason.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is lots of tape on Brady but he still spanks nearly team he plays. Hope its the same for Mason.

Junior Member Array title="steelamazing is on a distinguished road">

Steelers have only drafted 3 qb`s in the first round in 50 years, they will probably not draft one in 2020 anyway

Quote Originally Posted by steelamazing View Post
    Steelers have only drafted 3 qb`s in the first round in 50 years, they will probably not draft one in 2020 anyway
    Again, Take a guaranteed need with guaranteed talent with a first round pick...or spend a first round pick on a top tier QB prospect...like Paxton Lynch...lol.

Not really a debate imo...

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    There's also the question of who in next year's draft class looks like a world- class QB. The only senior NCAA QB I've been scouting is Nate Stanley of the Hawkeyes. I consider him decent but not awesome.
    Perhaps, but high first round draft picks opens doors. You could trade down to a mid or low first round for next year's mid first round. Then, that year, you have two first round pics to trade up even higher if the QB you like is there. If, however, Mason does prove he can play at this level, or if Ben really does look as though he's able to come back and play, then it's all a bonus anyway. If not, then we have draft picks we can bundle to move up.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I don't follow College Football, are there even any real good QB prospects which will be available in the pick 5-10 range? Pick 1 will be Dolphins and they will pick the No. 1 guy.

Because that is crucial about the list, if you at best can hope at the No. 2 QB of the class your chances of finding a franchise QB go drastically down.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I don’t see Tua nor Herbert as being any better than Rudolph. Lawrence, on the other hand...

Let’s say the Steelers (hypothetically) end up with the 5th pick. Tua & Herbert are gone. Chase Young (DE, Ohio St.) is also gone.

Sooo...

They need a FS. Grant Delpit is my druthers, but like any pick, he’s an unknown. Conversely, we know much more about Minkah: his floor is the BEST slot corner in the NFL; his ceiling could very well be an All Pro FS.