Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

You won’t get a player as good and as developed as Fitzpatrick in the 2020 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

How soon does MF play??? Is Sunday too soon?

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Minkah is probably piss today he got traded to another 0-2 team with a uncertainty at QB.
    If you think anybody is going to equate an 0-2 Steelers team with stable ownership and veteran leadership in the locker room with an 0-2 and openly-tanking-to-stockpile-draft-picks Dolphins team that damn well may go 0-16 this year, then you're insane.

Fitzpatrick went from a perennial laughing stock of a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game in nearly 20 years, to a team that's in the Super Bowl mix nearly every year. He's gotta be walking on Cloud 9 this morning.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Looks like starting FS, Davis on IR.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Looks like starting FS, Davis on IR.
    Well, things certainly are proceeding at a frenzied pace around here. I don't think I've ever seen so many big developments in a two-day period before.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Was Davis designated to return?

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    How soon does MF play??? Is Sunday too soon?
    Apparently not. Tomlin said he's a go on Sunday:

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, things certainly are proceeding at a frenzied pace around here. I don't think I've ever seen so many big developments in a two-day period before.
    Yep I feel like a manic deppressant, pretty bummed after Ben went down but after seeing Rudolph out perform him and take command of offense and getting Minkah to replace Davis I am on cloud 9. Lets see if he can take care of Kittle and stop teams from gashing us up the middle, and Rudolph can progress with more reps in practice. I don't want to get too enthusiastic but Steelers aren't packing it in, and with all division games remaining you never know.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Was Davis designated to return?
    They don't have that anymore. Anyone on IR can come back after the required number of weeks; you don't have to designate them. (You still are only allowed one or two per year, but you don't have to decide right up front.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Yep I feel like a manic deppressant, pretty bummed after Ben went down but after seeing Rudolph out perform him and take command of offense and getting Minkah to replace Davis I am on cloud 9. Lets see if he can take care of Kittle and stop teams from gashing us up the middle, and Rudolph can progress with more reps in practice. I don't want to get too enthusiastic but Steelers aren't packing it in, and with all division games remaining you never know.
    If nothing else, they have certainly done a lot to keep the season interesting for at least the next few weeks!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They don't have that anymore. Anyone on IR can come back after the required number of weeks; you don't have to designate them. (You still are only allowed one or two per year, but you don't have to decide right up front.)
    So the return issue could be determined later based on how Davis responds to treatment/surgery?

Also, this is the exact kinda scenario that drives guys back to their current teams. Ain't nobody paying Davis big contract $$$ based on his current tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So the return issue could be determined later based on how Davis responds to treatment/surgery?

Also, this is the exact kinda scenario that drives guys back to their current teams. Ain't nobody paying Davis big contract $$$ based on his current tape.
    Yeah, I think they changed it a couple years ago to exactly what you said.

If you think about it, the old way made no sense - you basically had to guess within a couple of days how serious an injury would be, and hope you got it right (and if you did designate your one player to return, that another guy didn't get hurt after him).

While I could be convinced to welcome Davis back as a depth player on a reasonable contract if you REALLY twisted my arm, it would also be a shrug if he left. At this point, it seems like we know what we have, which is a guy with some talent, who is still always going to be a liability to some extent because of mental lapses. Kind of reminds me of Anthony Smith for slightly different reasons. I wish he'd turn the corner, but similar to Dupree, I feel like we need to be past the wishing part and have a different plan, and if he ever does figure it out, then that's nice bonus.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Hopefully our new safety of the future

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Fitz came here to upgrade the FS position then I love this move. If we can still use him in Nickel with a rotation at FS/Slot CB/SS with Sutton/Hilton/Edmunds then I really love it.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

If nothing else, they have certainly done a lot to keep the season interesting for at least the next few weeks!
    Agreed - rather than sit around figuring the season is screwed let's plan for the draft and go get 'em next year Colbert was proactive to get help now while also hopefully building for the seasons ahead. If he is planning to say goodbye after his contract runs out after this season Colbert is going out with guns blazing.

Member Array title="Blue Marvel is an unknown quantity at this point">

Fitzpatrick IS the 2020 1st rd pick.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah, I think they changed it a couple years ago to exactly what you said.

If you think about it, the old way made no sense - you basically had to guess within a couple of days how serious an injury would be, and hope you got it right (and if you did designate your one player to return, that another guy didn't get hurt after him).

While I could be convinced to welcome Davis back as a depth player on a reasonable contract if you REALLY twisted my arm, it would also be a shrug if he left. At this point, it seems like we know what we have, which is a guy with some talent, who is still always going to be a liability to some extent because of mental lapses. Kind of reminds me of Anthony Smith for slightly different reasons. I wish he'd turn the corner, but similar to Dupree, I feel like we need to be past the wishing part and have a different plan, and if he ever does figure it out, then that's nice bonus.
    Agreed. What I am thinking is that Davis returns on a reasonable 1-2 year deal and plays the Kam Kelly role in the defense. Kelly cycles down and pushes Dangerfield off the roster.

Fitzpatrick/Edmunds/Davis/Kelly would be the best safety grouping this team has had in a long time.

What would be AMAZING is if Layne would be able to actually play outside CB at a credible level and push Haden to FS. Minkah plays SS. Edmunds takes Barron's job next Bush. And Davis plays as a swiss army knife DB in a "big nickel" package. With Hilton and Sutton getting run as the slot CB and dime defenders. But since most of these mental midgets can barely handle the job they are supposed to be good at, switching that many roles isn't going to happen.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

So MF will be playing Sunday along with a confident Mason Rudolph.... if the Steelers pull off a win on the west coast this weekend this place is going to go ape shit. I'm still really optimistic about this season. That may make me a homer but so be it. I remember the day Ben took over for Tommy, not because he was deemed 'ready' but because he HAD to. I'm not saying MR is going to pull off a 13-1 season but wouldn't it be great if he even comes close to that!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JnK View Post
    So MF will be playing Sunday along with a confident Mason Rudolph.... if the Steelers pull off a win on the west coast this weekend this place is going to go ape shit. I'm still really optimistic about this season. That may make me a homer but so be it. I remember the day Ben took over for Tommy, not because he was deemed 'ready' but because he HAD to. I'm not saying MR is going to pull off a 13-1 season but wouldn't it be great if he even comes close to that!
    Yeah but if we do win someone will complain about something.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    If Fitzpatrick becomes a cornerstone the draft pick is irrelevant.

Safety was going to be a top "need" for this team next season, they just took care of that this season. MF is basically your 2020 first round safety we get a year early.

Many(the media) are judging this move because they believe the Steelers need to draft a QB. Spoiler alert, Ben said he was returning and they will not give up on Rudolph after one season. It's the wrong way to look at this if you think they were drafting a QB.
    PRO-TIP --> Ben can say anything he wants. His body will dictate reality to him. If Rudolph crashes and burns or if his lack of arm strength becomes an issue and he starts getting picked left right and center, then we've just thrown away our best bet for the future because QB is the most important position in today's NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    PRO-TIP --> Ben can say anything he wants. His body will dictate reality to him. If Rudolph crashes and burns or if his lack of arm strength becomes an issue and he starts getting picked left right and center, then we've just thrown away our best bet for the future because QB is the most important position in today's NFL.
    I'm not sure why you think Mason has a lack arm strength. Everything I've read says the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by JnK View Post
    They’ll win. Very confident. It’s what this team does. Pulls you to sleep, faces adversity and pulls out a win. Then they’ll lose to the Bengals ar home or something stupid like that

Don’t remember him having a weak arm during training camp...also wasn’t looking for it...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'm not sure why you think Mason has a lack arm strength. Everything I've read says the opposite.
    True. Roethlisberger, WR Marcus Tucker both commented that Rudolph has a big arm in 2018 training camp. Jim Wexell commented that he has the next strongest arm to Ben on the Steelers roster last season, so a stronger arm than Dobbs or Jones.

Still, its not Josh Allen, Ben, Brett Favre like arm strength. Some website said Rudolph has a throw velocity of 52 mph, which is the same as Drew Brees and faster than Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson who have velocity of 49 mph. it looks good enough to me and if the worst thing we can say is he throws the ball as hard as Drew Brees does, then I'm not ready to push the panic button.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    True. Roethlisberger, WR Marcus Tucker both commented that Rudolph has a big arm in 2018 training camp. Jim Wexell commented that he has the next strongest arm to Ben on the Steelers roster last season, so a stronger arm than Dobbs or Jones.

Still, its not Josh Allen, Ben, Brett Favre like arm strength. Some website said Rudolph has a throw velocity of 52 mph, which is the same as Drew Brees and faster than Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson who have velocity of 49 mph. it looks good enough to me and if the worst thing we can say is he throws the ball as hard as Drew Brees does, then I'm not ready to push the panic button.
    Josh Allen can throw a football through a wall. He just has no idea which wall it's gonna end up going through.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Arm strength is not an issue for Rudolph. No it's not as good as Ben's during his prime but that won't be the reason he fails if he does so. Accuracy/ball placement is what matters when it comes to arm talent and those things were Rudolph's strengths coming out of OK St. He showed those things off during the pre season also.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 09-17-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    That was a strike year w/scrubs lol

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I think some of you are confused as to what this franchise's goal is. It's not to make the playoffs...it's to win super bowls. If anyone thinks that Ben can still lead this team to a super bowl...even after sitting out a year..let alone this year...you are delusional. The very best this team was going to do this year was 10-6, and a 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs. Ben isn't beating Brady and he isn't beating Mahomes. It is time to move on.

In steps Rudolph. The trade makes me believe the front office has a lot of confidence in Rudolph and that he is, in fact, our QB of the future...but I have my doubts as well...this seems to be Mike Tomlin trying to save his ass from getting canned. It's a desperate move that could wind up very costly for the future...Say Rudolph completely shits the bed and we go 6-10 or worse with what would have been a top 5 pick to help speed up the rebuilding process.

Next season, Big Ben decides to retire because he doesn't want to go through a coaching change. Tomlin doesn't get an extension...Now we're left with an unproven QB with a bunch of unproven WRs, as well an aging Oline.

I hate this trade and here's why...
    1.) It puts the team in a scenario to get worse before it gets better
    2.) Mike Tomlin made a desperate move to save his job.

Take a guaranteed need with guaranteed talent with a first round pick...or spend a first round pick on a top tier QB prospect...like Paxton Lynch...lol.

Not really a debate imo...