Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Sean Davis is gone after this year. Rosenhaus will probably make him do a video on Youtube and tell him to throw furniture off his porch and fart at his dentist.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Teams have no loyalty to players. Well, at least for the most part. So why should players have loyalty to teams?
    Speaking of loyalty, just think if NFL fans didn't show up at the stadiums on Sunday for a month or watch a game or buy a jersey. I think lots of issues would get fixed in a hurry.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Speaking of loyalty, just think if NFL fans didn't show up at the stadiums on Sunday for a month or watch a game or buy a jersey. I think lots of issues would get fixed in a hurry.
    I spend more time here than watching the NFL. I have yet to watch a live play since early last season. I checked out some highlights on YouTube, but consistent lack of preparation and heart have made it easy to find better things to do.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Fans will excuse just about anything by a player, coach or owner if they perform well.

IMO what drives attendance is winning & costs of going to a game while TV ratings in a home market are driven by winning.

Character issues and contract disputes are a good source of talk radio & message board fodder but I cannot recall when that ever impacted the popularity of a team. Those issues impact individual player endorsements and jersey sales (see A. Brown) but in that case a new player steps up to sell jerseys and endorse the product (see J. Schuster)

Same goes with the Fitzpatrick trade - he seems to be a “high character” guy (as Rudolph seems to be) but if the play by them is not up to expectations or higher not being a locker room cancer will not placate the fan base

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Is Grant Delpit better than Minkah Fitzpatrick?

Maybe.

A bird in the hand...”
    I know this would go for any player in the NFL but Fitzpatrick would be the best DB in college football right now.

Delpit is very talented but man Fitzpatrick was a beast during his time with Alabama. He won both the Chuck Bednarik Award, and Jim Thorpe Award the same year, which only two other players have done, those two being Charles Woodson and Patrick Peterson. Also, consider the proven factor in this, I'm not sure it's a debate.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 09-19-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I know this would go for any player in the NFL but Fitzpatrick would be the best DB in college football right now.

Delpit is very talented but man Fitzpatrick was a beast during his time with Alabama. He won both the Chuck Bednarik Award, and Jim Thorpe Award the same year, which only two other players have done, those two being Charles Woodson and Patrick Peterson. Also, consider the proven factor in this, I'm not sure it's a debate.
    Exactly.

Delpit miiiight be better. But, IMO, probably not.

Maybe Delpit is Jamal Adams. Then again, maybe he is Morris Claiborne. Somewhere in the middle is LaRon Landry.

The point (upon which we agree) is that the draft is not a sure thing.

Conversely, Minkah Fitzpatrick is (at worst) the next Chris Harris, Jr. ... and possibly the next Eric Berry (sans the cancer and/or injuries).

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Well he definitely made his presence felt in his first game. Great start no doubt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    Well he definitely made his presence felt in his first game. Great start no doubt.
    Yep

In all of the 2018 season, the Steelers safeties accounted for 2 total turnovers.

In the first quarter alone, Minkah accounted for 2 total turnovers.

ALSO... He barely knows the playbook. Just wait until he becomes “comfortable”.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Minkah is paying dividends already no question about it , that said the trade value will remain to be questioned if we continue to lose and creep up into the top 10 ( which is looking more and more likely as the weeks pass )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Even in the Top-5, they still got Top-5 talent in that trade...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

No rookie is going to come in and make that kind of impact..then throw in he had 1 week of practice. Every time he blitzed unless he disrupted QB they got gashed down middle. Hopefully butler figured that out since I know shit and saw it in third quarter. They should find different ways to utilize him. Sky’s the limit. Hopefully he can make everyone around better too like magic johnson, It would be nice to see Edmunds elevate his game

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Yep

In all of the 2018 season, the Steelers safeties accounted for 2 total turnovers.

In the first quarter alone, Minkah accounted for 2 total turnovers.

ALSO... He barely knows the playbook. Just wait until he becomes “comfortable”.
    If you like the “playbook”.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

MFF! So that is what competent safety play looks like. I almost forgot.

Honestly, more impressive than his actual play was that he seemed to be pointing things out to other players and getting them aligned. Dude showed up on Tuesday!

If he can become the brains of this outfit of misfit morons, maybe it will start looking better.

For whatever the reason, this is the first game in a long time where the defense looked like it trusted what it was seeing, just played their assignments, and rallied to the ball.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    MFF! So that is what competent safety play looks like. I almost forgot.

Honestly, more impressive than his actual play was that he seemed to be pointing things out to other players and getting them aligned. Dude showed up on Tuesday!

If he can become the brains of this outfit of misfit morons, maybe it will start looking better.

For whatever the reason, this is the first game in a long time where the defense looked like it trusted what it was seeing, just played their assignments, and rallied to the ball.
    Not sure he is in the right position to have the green dot.....unfortunately. MLB/lLB has been the player for us. Not sure that is set in stone. I haven’t observed enough other teams. Farrior was definitely the man for the job. I’m not sure if he was a better field general or tackler.

Minkah is paying dividends already no question about it , that said the trade value will remain to be questioned if we continue to lose and creep up into the top 10 ( which is looking more and more likely as the weeks pass )
    A bird in the hand...

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Dude ... if Sean Davis hasn't learned the safety role by this point, he's not learning the safety role.

You are still right - it's good that we are not counting on him to be the future at safety. We should be even more glad than you think.
    But we have to give him 5 years and then possibly sign him to a long term contract. Sometimes players don't bloom until their 13th year.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

A bird in the hand...
    for sure , but only if Rudolph shows to be the future ... otherwise your crack at a QB of the future gets put off where you would have had a great opportunity

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

for sure , but only if Rudolph shows to be the future ... otherwise your crack at a QB of the future gets put off where you would have had a great opportunity
    Parcells said the 1st round is ALWAYS about the QB. Either take a QB, someone to protect the QB, or someone to get after the QB. If Minkah is a safety that creates turnovers in the secondary and can create pass rush I think that fits right in there too. I understand he’s not going to get 2 turnovers per game but at least he will have the offense’s attention every game. Same as my hope for Bush and TJ.

True... if one feels that Eason, Tua, and Herbert (maybe even Fromm) are better than Rudolph. IMO, if they are indeed better, it’s not by a significant amount. As in:

Minkah & Rudolph > Davis & those QBs

NOTE: If it was the 2021 draft, and it was Trevor Lawrence... there’s no way I trade away a R1 pick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Who says there won’t be opportunity in 2020, 2021, 2022? There’s always opportunity no matter where you draft. Passing up an opportunity at a star player for a chance to draft JaMarcus Russell? I’ll take the known commodity.

Good thing is you will never ever know any other way at this stage. Lol

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Minkah had a pick and a forced fumble. Can't do much better than that. And if Fichtner had called more aggressive plays we would've scored more points off the turnovers and won.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Team should have both Rudolph and Ben next season and draft a qb the following year if need be. The way the Steelers are playing the 2021 1st should be a top 5 pick. Minkah is a stud and way worth next years 1. Dude was everywhere and actually a DB that makes tackling look easy.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Also if Rudy and Ben don't work out don't forget we got Hodges.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Parcells said the 1st round is ALWAYS about the QB. Either take a QB, someone to protect the QB, or someone to get after the QB. If Minkah is a safety that creates turnovers in the secondary and can create pass rush I think that fits right in there too. I understand he’s not going to get 2 turnovers per game but at least he will have the offense’s attention every game. Same as my hope for Bush and TJ.
    The last difference-maker we had at safety, obviously, was Polamalu - who we traded up for and took at 1.16. If you go back and look at the players taken in front of him in 2003, none of them comes close to having the type of impact that Troy had on the field. Maaaaybe an argument could be made for Terrell Suggs at 1.10 - but that'd be a really weak argument.

If that draft was done over, Polamalu is the first player taken off the board - without hesitation. Over all 4 of the QBs taken that year. If Fitzpatrick is as the Pittsburgh brain trust thinks he is, then go get him.

The only way we'll be able to make a meaningful comparison is to see who Miami takes with our first-round pick. Their QB situation is atrocious, so it'll almost be guaranteed that they take one with that pick. If that player turns out to be a Ryan Tannehill v2.0, then Colbert looks like a genius. There's no Mannings or Lucks in next year's draft class that are gonna be sure-fire studs.

IMO can't base it on who Miami takes with the pick ... have to base it on who is available at the pick point and from there who is more steeler like and most talented .... we can not let Miami be the barometer of that as they have not been very good at determining those things

last 5 QBs drafted by the Dolphins

Brandon Doughty 7th
    Ryan Tannehill 1st
    Pat White 2nd
    Chad Henne 2nd
    John Beck 2nd

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

IMO can't base it on who Miami takes with the pick ... have to base it on who is available at the pick point and from there who is more steeler like and most talented .... we can not let Miami be the barometer of that as they have not been very good at determining those things

Brandon Doughty 7th
    Ryan Tannehill 1st
    Pat White 2nd
    Chad Henne 2nd
    John Beck 2nd
    Next up

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Brandon Doughty 7th
    Ryan Tannehill 1st
    Pat White 2nd
    Chad Henne 2nd
    John Beck 2nd
    And then a few years before, some local western PA kid named Marino who the Steelers felt was too much of a party-boy.

Maybe it's a more accurate barometer to look at the what QBs were available with that pick, and if any of them ends up panning out. I just don't see anyone in the 2020 class that makes me salivate. It has a 2015 'Jameis Winston / Marcus Mariota' look to it. Not one of the QBs from that draft class ever did anything noteworthy.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I love this trade, especially after seeing him light it up on Sunday. We had a position of need and filled it with a proven high first round talent. IMO we needed Fitzpatrick a lot more than we needed a question mark QB.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I love this trade, especially after seeing him light it up on Sunday. We had a position of need and filled it with a proven high first round talent. IMO we needed Fitzpatrick a lot more than we needed a question mark QB.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    So do I. He is a natural and that is huge imo.