Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Id be shocked if he doesn't play some safety. This dude can be like Polamalu, a disrupter and game changer. Dolphins had him playing 6 different positions, I cant imagine him not wanting to play safety. Versatility is one of his main strengths.
    I think this is what we wanted Edmunds for, but he couldn't do it. Maybe same with Davis.

I've frequently said an aggressive 3-3-5 base defense could be the perfect counter to the pass-heavy bullshit ball that's played today ... the only catch being that you need a player who can do a reasonable impression of Troy Polamalu or Ronnie Lott. And those players are not just laying around everywhere. Can only keep my fingers crossed that us what they had in mind ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The 4th rounder by the Dolphins could be huge, they look like they're on their way to 0-16 so that pick is a potential 3rd round value

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Ben is done. He was playing at 20% his old self before the injury and now will have elbow surgery at 37. He's done time to move on to the future. And they surrender their 1st, potentially their highest draft pick in 20 years for a guy who a. gave up on his team and b. only wants to play slot corner.
    It is definitely not often your team loses its franchise quarterback and the next year's first-round draft pick on the same day.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Minkah had a great rookie year, and just based on my eye test of him (as well as the scouting reports that are out there on him), he is both a football player and a great athlete, with an extremely high ceiling.

Like others have said, I am not sure what the Steelers plans are for him. FS or CB? As it relates to the Steelers, I am very concerned about the current set of safeties as many of you are, so I keep picturing him taking the free safety spot, but that might not be what the Steelers envision. I just personally have no faith in Sean Davis at FS...........maybe the team moves Sutton to FS, and puts Minkah in the slot? I am sure they plan to have Minkah on the field most of the time once he gets up to speed.

There is a huge salary cost advantage with him for the next 3 years with those base salaries, so that never hurts.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Ben is done. He was playing at 20% his old self before the injury and now will have elbow surgery at 37. He's done time to move on to the future. And they surrender their 1st, potentially their highest draft pick in 20 years for a guy who a. gave up on his team and b. only wants to play slot corner.
    any links to him saying he only wants to play slot corner. I get he doesn't want to play 6 positions but both safety spots and slot corner isn't too much to ask. He did that at Alabama.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Another thing is they aren't winning another Super Bowl with Tomlin and they aren't sniffing another Super Bowl with Butler so it's pointless to trade your first to go all in acquiring someone as long as those two stay.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He is not a FS. But, Minkah is the best slot CB in the NFL.

Nelson & Haden have been shutting down their WRs, but the slot receiver has been killing us. This ELIMINATES the slot receiver.
    This, our biggest hole on def is across the middle, if he can shore that up, our defense could help MR make a season of it.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Minkah had a great rookie year, and just based on my eye test of him (as well as the scouting reports that are out there on him), he is both a football player and a great athlete, with an extremely high ceiling.

Like others have said, I am not sure what the Steelers plans are for him. FS or CB? As it relates to the Steelers, I am very concerned about the current set of safeties as many of you are, so I keep picturing him taking the free safety spot, but that might not be what the Steelers envision. I just personally have no faith in Sean Davis at FS...........maybe the team moves Sutton to FS, and puts Minkah in the slot? I am sure they plan to have Minkah on the field most of the time once he gets up to speed.

There is a huge salary cost advantage with him for the next 3 years with those base salaries, so that never hurts.
    I wouldn't even dare guess what their plan is either but after watching Davis shit the bed all game playing 25 yards deep on 3rd 15 and not anticipating coming up to make a stop until receiver gets 17 yards and a first down it was my though he's playing FS but that would be using common sense. Im sure he could help in multiple positions, hopefully they use him correctly. With that said I love the trade. The fact we get a 4th for 5th lessons the blow of losing a first. Like someone else mentioned Miami is picking in top 5 so its like late 3rd round value.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

and we will throw Moncrief in for free.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Fitzpatrick can play slot CB and as a center fielder. I wouldn't place him as a one position player. He is a talented player.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So early reports are that Minkah will play Free Safety due to the fact that Davis suffered a torn labrum surging the Seattle game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Also, this is basically an answer to AB, Gordon and Edelman.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I think he played his entire rookie year with the same injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

8 first round picks on defense now?

Haden, Minkah, Cam, Watt, Bush, Barron, Edmunds and the best one...Dupree!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

This is a good move by Colbert to give the D a better chance to help out the young QB Rudolph.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't even dare guess what their plan is either but after watching Davis shit the bed all game playing 25 yards deep on 3rd 15 and not anticipating coming up to make a stop until receiver gets 17 yards and a first down it was my though he's playing FS but that would be using common sense. Im sure he could help in multiple positions, hopefully they use him correctly. With that said I love the trade. The fact we get a 4th for 5th lessons the blow of losing a first. Like someone else mentioned Miami is picking in top 5 so its like late 3rd round value.
    Miami is picking 1 every round next year and a given. So yes their 4th is basically a 3rd.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Even after the fact, Nothing about this makes sense. At all.

I seriously cannot fathom making a move like this unless the Steelers organization and coaching staff really like what they see in Rudolph. They would never have done this with Landry or Dobbs regardless of Ben's health. They never even did this when Ben was healthy and had the B's. Giving up a First Round draft pick the very next draft.

Good on stones. Nothing on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Nothing about this makes sense. At all.

I seriously cannot fathom making a move like this unless the Steelers organization and coaching staff really like what they see in Rudolph. They would never have done this with Landry or Dobbs regardless of Ben's health. They never even did this when Ben was healthy.

Good on stones. Nothing on anything else.
    Makes sense to me. D has gaping holes up middle, they think he shores it up.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Good move. Butler has got a proven heady player, hopefully he...doesn’t screw it up

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I do not like giving up a first round, especially when we'll probably have a higher first round pick then we have had in several years. Honestly, this looks like a desperate move. I really do hope I'm wrong.
    Kinda feeling like this as well. I also didnt see much out of Fitzpatrick to warrant trading a potential high first round pick. I also get that playing for the Dolphins doesn't really put you in the best situations lol

I dont know, just kinda feels like they're grabbing at straws

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

From a salary cap standpoint this might be a genius move.

Sean Davis is gone next year, and re-signing him costs more than Fitz's contract, at a much lower level of performance. If we didn't resign Davis, we have a hole at FS. Hell, we probably have a hole right now by the way he's playing. The only way this is a loss is if we do badly enough to pick in the top 10, but I think with the talent still on this team, they should at least go 7-9 or 8-8

If Fitzpatrick becomes a cornerstone the draft pick is irrelevant.

Safety was going to be a top "need" for this team next season, they just took care of that this season. MF is basically your 2020 first round safety we get a year early.

Many(the media) are judging this move because they believe the Steelers need to draft a QB. Spoiler alert, Ben said he was returning and they will not give up on Rudolph after one season. It's the wrong way to look at this if you think they were drafting a QB.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

After think about this trade. This is a BB Patriot type move we are always envy of and say why can't our front office have the balls and be that smart ? Kudos to Colbert and all getting this done. We get to enjoy our 2020 pick now and can help the team this year. Was a need and can't beat the cap hit the next few years. Well done!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Absolutely hate this trade.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Makes sense to me. D has gaping holes up middle, they think he shores it up.
    Without coaching it will be futile. The defense will have their usual lapses.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I like the trade. We're going all in on Rudolph. With a good defense he doesn't have to score on every drive, we stay in games and win.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Wow! I went to bed early and woke up to this!!!!!!!!

Last night, my biggest concern was that our defense wasn't going to be much help to a young QB. Ben and AB, JuJu and Conner were capable of scoring 30-40 points to win games to make up for our lousy secondary........but now we were likely to lose games because the defense would allow too many points on the board.

Russ and I had this same conversation about this trade yesterday........totally willing to give up a 1st round pick for KNOWN talent instead of rolling the dice on an unknown. And he is still on his rookie contract.......win win!!! Reports hat he is only going to count a little over 5 million of cap space for the next 2 years

Looks like we gave up a 5th as well...but don't we have an extra 5th from the Dobbs trade? Winning again!

I feel so bad for Ben........he has to be dying knowing he won't be out there this season but this is going to help Rudolph so much.

If reports are true...Fitzpatrick is not only a great player but good guy, as well.

Sorry Debbie Downers.......Pittsburgh got a steal on this one! Especially if we make the playoffs and DON"T have a high draft pick...because that's what Miami is counting on. They may have just traded one of their best players for a lower round 1!