Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Are the Available Backup QBs

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Who Are the Available Backup QBs

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Is there some particular fatal flaw about Lynch that makes people laugh when his name is brought up? Or did he just kind of look ... not so good. Serious question, I never actually saw him play, so I don't know.
    He was supposed to be good and people here really wanted him at one point but I think he just didn’t look good while he was in game...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Is there some particular fatal flaw about Lynch that makes people laugh when his name is brought up? Or did he just kind of look ... not so good. Serious question, I never actually saw him play, so I don't know.
    I live in the Denver area and trust me, he sucks - REALLY bad. I'm talking Mark Malone/Cliff Stoudt bad.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I live in the Denver area and trust me, he sucks - REALLY bad. I'm talking Mark Malone/Cliff Stoudt bad.
    I live in the Denver area as well, so I listen to a lot of the talking head sports dudes on radio. The issue with Lynch was his work ethic. Last-in / first-out kind of guy. They gave him every chance to succeed in Denver (burning a 1 on a QB will grant you that patience), but he never took the opportunity seriously, and was woefully underprepared on game day.

Anything more than PS fodder now that Hodges is on the 53 is a waste, IMO. This guy just never got it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I live in the Denver area as well, so I listen to a lot of the talking head sports dudes on radio. The issue with Lynch was his work ethic. Last-in / first-out kind of guy. They gave him every chance to succeed in Denver (burning a 1 on a QB will grant you that patience), but he never took the opportunity seriously, and was woefully underprepared on game day.

Anything more than PS fodder now that Hodges is on the 53 is a waste, IMO. This guy just never got it.
    You're a better man than I - I can't stand the local Broncos radio homers.

I'll just put it this way - Lynch was a round 1 pick that lost the starting QB competition to a 7th rounder - twice.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    You're a better man than I - I can't stand the local Broncos radio homers.

I'll just put it this way - Lynch was a round 1 pick that lost the starting QB competition to a 7th rounder - twice.
    Actually, Broncos radio is a pleasure to listen to ... when they suck. Like now. It's when they're actually competent that I can't stand to listen to them.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He was supposed to be good and people here really wanted him at one point but I think he just didn’t look good while he was in game...
    Ah, ok. Well, then I guess why not give him a shot if there's really nobody out there. If it's just "a body" we're looking for. (Hopefully we won't need him anyway.)

From the look of people's reactions, it sounded like he might have had some Tommy Maddox moment where he just fell apart and couldn't throw the ball anymore, or something like that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Paxton Lynch is a taller, mobile, stronger arm, better accuracy version of Landry Jones. He can run what he knows of the playbook very well. He just doesn’t know much of the playbook. Fichtner might be the perfect QB coach for a guy like him.

Lynch didn’t work in Denver because nobody has worked in Denver. If the bar is going to be left at Elway level it may be a long time before somebody does work in Denver. Just sayin’.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I could not have been higher on Lynch as a "Sleeper" QB the year he came out. I actually hoped he slipped far enough that the Steelers considered it.

I have not heard or seen good things since. But he does have all the necessary physical tools. Maybe getting his ego collapsed and a new start....yada yada.

He probably just stinks. But it is a PS QB. I'll take a guy that many had a 1st round/franchise grade on not that long ago for the PS any day.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I live in Denver also, Lynch is average at best, but his supporting cast was terrible. No OL, 1 WR and an average running game when he was here. The other problem was his predecessor was Manning, so he was never going to fill those shoes. He could be a decent backup if it comes to that.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Paxton Lynch is a taller, mobile, stronger arm, better accuracy version of Landry Jones. He can run what he knows of the playbook very well. He just doesn’t know much of the playbook. Fichtner might be the perfect QB coach for a guy like him.

Lynch didn’t work in Denver because nobody has worked in Denver. If the bar is going to be left at Elway level it may be a long time before somebody does work in Denver. Just sayin’.
    I always thought Elway was kind of overrated, yeah he had a cannon arm and exciting highlight reel, also threw a ton of interceptions. He won 2 superbowls, but mostly off the legs of Terrell Davis. Maybe I didn't catch many of his games early in his career (started watching as a kid in 1990), but I seen him play terrible until they got TD

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I always thought Elway was kind of overrated, yeah he had a cannon arm and exciting highlight reel, also threw a ton of interceptions. He won 2 superbowls, but mostly off the legs of Terrell Davis. Maybe I didn't catch many of his games early in his career (started watching as a kid in 1990), but I seen him play terrible until they got TD
    Elway made 5 trips to the SuperBowl. Yeah he was pretty good.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He got clobbered in 3 Super Bowls before he got TD. Dan Reeves' teams were soft.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I only seen his last two, but I guess I only started watching when he was in the tail end of his career

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It also needs to be noted that he carried those other SB teams. They had like 2 good players on defense, and then Elway hero ball as the entire offensive plan. It was something to see.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    He got clobbered in 3 Super Bowls before he got TD. Dan Reeves' teams were soft.
    His SB teams did get clobbered. Those defenses were terrible though. They lost to Doug Williams 42-10 , gave up 55pts vs the 49ers, and lost to the Giants by almost 20. Was Elway “over-rated”? Possibly but he was still a very good QB for most of his career.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

What I remember of the Elway era Broncos is that they had a great passing game, a perennially crappy running game, and no defense whatsoever. Same idea as the Dan Marino Dolphins. I don't think it's Elway's fault for losing the Super Bowl; it was amazing that they kept getting there with such a one-dimensional team.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

What I remember of the Elway era Broncos is that they had a great passing game, a perennially crappy running game, and no defense whatsoever. Same idea as the Dan Marino Dolphins. I don't think it's Elway's fault for losing the Super Bowl; it was amazing that they kept getting there with such a one-dimensional team.
    The AFC as a whole was weak. The NFC just dominated from 1984 to 1998 when the Broncos broke the streak.

He wilted in the Super Bowl losses though. Didn't play well in any of them.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who Are the Available Backup QBs

I’m on that boat with you. I’ve never thought he was anywhere near the level/pedestal that people put him on. Yes it was a great story and I thought he was good., but there were a lot better QBs out there than him.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Proof he is not ?
    "Duck" is scrappy and a solid leader. From what I saw in the preseason, he's got good vision and football IQ. Problem is he doesn't seem to have the arm strength. He floats his passes, even the short ones. That'll get you picked in the NFL.
    That's just my impression and I hope I'm wrong.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

In those 3 Super Bowls, Elway was a one-man show going up against legendary teams. In '86 he went up against a dominant Bill Parcels led Giants team, the year Lawrence Taylor got NFL MVP as a defensive player. '87 was Joe Gibbs' Redskins teams which were great teams. '89 was what many argue is the greatest team of the 49ers dynasty, with Joe Montana being named NFL MVP. No NFL QB is going to be competitive against those kind of teams with teams like that. I always find it funny how everyone gives Dan Marino a pass for making 1 Super Bow and only making 2 more AFC championship games in his career because of his supporting cast, yet Elway makes 3 Super Bowls in 4 years without a supporting cast but he's overrated

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    In those 3 Super Bowls, Elway was a one-man show going up against legendary teams. In '86 he went up against a dominant Bill Parcels led Giants team, the year Lawrence Taylor got NFL MVP as a defensive player. '87 was Joe Gibbs' Redskins teams which were great teams. '89 was what many argue is the greatest team of the 49ers dynasty, with Joe Montana being named NFL MVP. No NFL QB is going to be competitive against those kind of teams with teams like that. I always find it funny how everyone gives Dan Marino a pass for making 1 Super Bow and only making 2 more AFC championship games in his career because of his supporting cast, yet Elway makes 3 Super Bowls in 4 years without a supporting cast but he's overrated
    Well said. Elway was a good as everyone says he was. Just ridiculous what he pulled of in his early career. Just dragged some dudes to SBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well said. Elway was a good as everyone says he was. Just ridiculous what he pulled of in his early career. Just dragged some dudes to SBs.
    And crushing Browns fans hopes and dreams along the way.

And crushing Browns fans hopes and dreams along the way.
    Let’s not forget that. I bet Byner and Kosar don’t.

Elway arguably had better teams than Marino did. His defense was underrated...which had a few pro bowl/all pro type players. The offense had a pro bowl back in Sammy Winder who wasn’t terrible, he had a decent O-Line and the three amigos in the 80s. It wasn’t Elway and then 21 other scrubs...he was a very good QB, but he’s not Montana, Marino, Brady, Manning, Graham, Unitas, etc, type levels. He’s second tier when it comes to the All-Time Greats...

I dunno. If you have to pick a QB in their prime to win one game; Elway has to be in that conversation. Maybe not the top of the list but he’s gotta be on it in my opinion.

Montana, Brady, Marino, Favre, Manning, Elway. Are the top tier of guys I’ve seen play for that list. Then I’ll consider Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Moon, Kelly, and I guess Aikman?

Don’t know just a thought.

And Elway was the ONLY reason they made it to the first 3 of those.

One-man team, just like the Dolphins with Marino.

I always find it funny how everyone gives Dan Marino a pass for making 1 Super Bow and only making 2 more AFC championship games in his career because of his supporting cast, yet Elway makes 3 Super Bowls in 4 years without a supporting cast but he's overrated
    Well, with all due respect to Elway, Marino WAS the better QB. Marino is still the best pure passer I've ever seen and would put up RIDICULOUS numbers in the Arena League/flag football game they're playing today - 6K+ yards and 60+ TDs per season, easy. Hell, the guy smoked the '85 Bears, for God's sake.