Thread: Ben issues a statement

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Ben issues a statement

This guy........wow.

- - - Updated - - -

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Ben issues a statement

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I think privately Ben wants Mason to completely fall on his face. He knows he's at the tail end of his career, his play and decisions have been borderline for the last ~15-20 games, and he sees what's happening to Eli in NY.

If Mason lights it up, or even shows he's a competent NFL QB, Ben ... and most likely the coaching staff are done in Pittsburgh. If Mason is pedestrian, then that sets the stage for Ben to come back and make one last run at it.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I think privately Ben wants Mason to completely fall on his face. He knows he's at the tail end of his career, his play and decisions have been borderline for the last ~15-20 games, and he sees what's happening to Eli in NY.

If Mason lights it up, or even shows he's a competent NFL QB, Ben ... and most likely the coaching staff are done in Pittsburgh. If Mason is pedestrian, then that sets the stage for Ben to come back and make one last run at it.
    If Rudolph falls on his face, there is a very very high probability that we draft a blue-chip QB prospect with the resulting top-5 pick. And that we would not want to keep that guy sitting on the bench for more than a season or so, and that any question marks about Ben's play could hasten that guy into the lineup. At most, that buys him a year, and only then if his arm is back to normal quickly. I don't really see a way that Ben gains anything either way. About the only thing that works in his favor is if Rudolph struggles to an 8-8 or 7-9 record and doesn't look great doing it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There could be a QB controversy in the making if Rudy puts up big numbers...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

SEE POST #1

"I will do all I can to support Mason and the team..."

(In my best Chris Carter voice directed at ST) C'mon MAN! With your stupid post. That's just DUMB!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If Rudy does good, Ben's career in Pitt is done and no reason to pay the cap hit Ben will cost next season.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I don't think that's true at all. I bet Ben will be very supportive of Mason .

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If he puts up big numbers, Ben is as good as gone. You don't bench a young star in the making for one who's 1-2 years from retirement at best. In this scenario, it'd be safe to say that Mason would have earned the trust of his teammates, would they want to see him benched for ben to come back for a year or 2? Would Mason ever want to be a Steeler after playing his ass off only to ride the bench again? Bank it, if Mason balls out this year, Ben played his last game as a Steeler already. This would be a replay of the Montana / Steve Young situation, kind of a no-win situation between the vet who you'd want to see go out in a blaze of glory, and the front office which has to make difficult business decisions to keep the team on a winning track, not only now, but into the future.

Love Ben and I'm thankful for all he's done, but honestly the decline started years ago. Yes he put up good seasons in the past couple years, but has been slow out of the gate, and sometimes those slow starts cost us in playoff positioning (or outright not qualifying last year)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Doesn’t matter if Rudolph throws for 6500 yards and 65 TDs...when Ben returns he will be the starter and Rudolph will be the back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Doesn’t matter if Rudolph throws for 6500 yards and 65 TDs...when Ben returns he will be the starter and Rudolph will be the back up.
    I'm willing to take that bet if you're serious. Let's say if it's 3500 yards, 30 TD's, Mason is our new QB regardless of Ben's health.

If I win, you change your avatar to Mason Rudolph. If I lose then I change mine to Ben and say 86Ward was right all along in my sig (or something like that, w/e)

But the stipulation is that Mason's gotta have a season that at least meets the 3500/30TD mark. Deal?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'm not concerned about Ben returning, right now his mission is to help Mason win football games.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Ben's a warrior and a great QB. Fans should not doubt him.

- - - Updated - - -

I have given this some thought. Hypothetically speaking if Rudolph can take a 0-2 team, and win two playoff games its a real debate. If the Steelers won the Super Bowl this year...he deserved to keep the job.

I don't see the playoffs this year. Would love to be proven wrong.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Ben's a warrior and a great QB. Fans should not doubt him.

- - - Updated - - -

I have given this some thought. Hypothetically speaking if Rudolph can take a 0-2 team, and win two playoff games its a real debate. If the Steelers won the Super Bowl this year...he deserved to keep the job.

I don't see the playoffs this year. Would love to be proven wrong.
    If Rudolph wins the Super Bowl, or even makes the conference championship game, then we should give him the job and let Ben ride off into the sunset with a huge pile of cocaine. The odds of that happening are like 0.1%, but one can always hope.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm willing to take that bet if you're serious. Let's say if it's 3500 yards, 30 TD's, Mason is our new QB regardless of Ben's health.

If I win, you change your avatar to Mason Rudolph. If I lose then I change mine to Ben and say 86Ward was right all along in my sig (or something like that, w/e)

But the stipulation is that Mason's gotta have a season that at least meets the 3500/30TD mark. Deal?
    I think he was being sarcastic.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post

I’m not sure I understand the bet and I’m not sure I wouldn’t change my avatar to Rudolph on my own...lol.

The only scenario I see Ben playing for the Steelers next season is. Rudolph sucks the rest of the season or just looks average. If that is the case Pitt will take a QB with their 1 and have Ben groom him till Ben's contract is up. Most likely Ben will hang it up at the end of the season even though what he said now.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If Rudolph wins the Super Bowl, or even makes the conference championship game, then we should give him the job and let Ben ride off into the sunset with a huge pile of cocaine. The odds of that happening are like 0.1%, but one can always hope.
    I think if mason leads them to 7-9 record it would be a success, anything more I will be shocked but excited. I think Rudolph can be as good as any from his draft, assuming Lamar comes back to earth. I read Bens statement but don’t see him coming back unless Rudolph stinks it up.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Right now, i feel like whatever positive outcome that happens with this whole scenario that Mason is our starter is like playing with house money. If we suck, we get a high draft pick. If not, we've found our new starting QB.

Personally, i could see this playing out like a Favre/Rodgers scenario. Ben strikes me as a super proud and stubborn person that would struggle with a new guy taking the reigns of his team....that is if Rudy plays well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Right now, i feel like whatever positive outcome that happens with this whole scenario that Mason is our starter is like playing with house money. If we suck, we get a high draft pick.
    Not anymore, we don't!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Cool good news.

Well that sucks...lol...I was hoping his arm would be stronger...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Well that sucks...lol...I was hoping his arm would be stronger...
    Still might be.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

What statement would people expect him to make? These guys say what their publicist type up for them.

I was watching Jim Kelly's "A Football Life" last night and he said he DID NOT want to get drafted by Buffalo and when they did drafted him they played back his phone conversion and of course he said all the standard cliche stuff and said, "That was all lies."

With our first round pick now gone we better hope Mason lights it up or Ben comes back otherwise next year might be the 3-13 season after a 6-10 season.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    SEE POST #1

"I will do all I can to support Mason and the team..."

(In my best Chris Carter voice directed at ST) C'mon MAN! With your stupid post. That's just DUMB!
    Ben always says the right things in scripted releases. It's when he goes off-prompter, like on his radio show - then you get a little more insight into what makes him tick.

Of course
    he publicly said he'll support Mason and his progress. But don't you remember how pissed off he got and how he openly mulled retirement when Mason was drafted? All the great ones are wired this way, Ben's no exception.

Farve was furious when Rogers was drafted. Montana was furious when Young was brought on the team. Ben was seething when the Steelers traded up in the 3rd to draft a QB higher than at any other time in his career. Maddox was pissed when Ben got drafted for chrissake. Flacco (though not great) wouldn't throw to a wide open Lamar Jackson purely out of spite since he saw his own writing on the wall.

Ben can say all the right things, but he knows his window is slamming shut and would really like to have a job to come back to next year. Let's face it, he's no spring chicken - and unlike Brady, his diet doesn't consist of solely of wheat grass and unicorn tears.

Ben always says the right things in scripted releases. It's when he goes off-prompter, like on his radio show - then you get a little more insight into what makes him tick.

Of course
    he publicly said he'll support Mason and his progress. But don't you remember how pissed off he got and how he openly mulled retirement when Mason was drafted? All the great ones are wired this way, Ben's no exception.

Farve was furious when Rogers was drafted. Montana was furious when Young was brought on the team. Ben was seething when the Steelers traded up in the 3rd to draft a QB higher than at any other time in his career. Maddox was pissed when Ben got drafted for chrissake. Flacco (though not great) wouldn't throw to a wide open Lamar Jackson purely out of spite since he saw his own writing on the wall.

Ben can say all the right things, but he knows his window is slamming shut and would really like to have a job to come back to next year. Let's face it, he's no spring chicken - and unlike Brady, his diet doesn't consist of solely of wheat grass and unicorn tears.
    And fairy dust doesn't sprinkle on the field like it does for Brady.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Regardless of what Mason does this year (other than a Lombardy) Ben will be the starter next season if healthy. We are lucky to have Mason on his rookie contract, and even luckier still to be able to see if he is Ben’s future replacement. Last season 2 things killed our season, the kicking game lost 2-3 games for us and our defense couldn’t make crucial stops late in games where we were ahead.

I hope Mason plays like he can be a starter, I hope Ben comes back next season with some fire and ready to get one more ring. I hope our defense improves throughout the season enough to help us out when we need them. I hope if we have to have a down year, it is only one year and all our young players improve enough to win next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Regardless of what Mason does this year (other than a Lombardy) Ben will be the starter next season if healthy. We are lucky to have Mason on his rookie contract, and even luckier still to be able to see if he is Ben’s future replacement. Last season 2 things killed our season, the kicking game lost 2-3 games for us and our defense couldn’t make crucial stops late in games where we were ahead.

I hope Mason plays like he can be a starter, I hope Ben comes back next season with some fire and ready to get one more ring. I hope our defense improves throughout the season enough to help us out when we need them. I hope if we have to have a down year, it is only one year and all our young players improve enough to win next year.
    What if he leads us to 14-2 and loses in the AFC championship? Then Pouncey says he's going to retire, but Mason goes "I promise I'll get you to the super bowl next year"