Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 3: San Francisco 49ers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Week 3: San Francisco 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think that talent absolutely does matter. The thirty points a game thing is kinda like a slugger setting the goal of 50 home runs. Few every get there, but enough do that it is possible to aspire to. I’m not gonna then knock the guy for only swatting 38 homers. Same with the Steelers only scoring like 25-28 per game. Once they got efficient in the red zone, I was kinda fine with the points scored.

I know scheme can really help with a lot on an offense, but if not one can shake a DB during the course of a route, might not matter.
    Sure talent matters and with coaching it will go a long way. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. The fact is this team was loaded with talent, but I digress. These topics keep going round and round. Looking forward to a strong win tomorrow.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think that talent absolutely does matter. The thirty points a game thing is kinda like a slugger setting the goal of 50 home runs. Few every get there, but enough do that it is possible to aspire to. I’m not gonna then knock the guy for only swatting 38 homers. Same with the Steelers only scoring like 25-28 per game. Once they got efficient in the red zone, I was kinda fine with the points scored.

I know scheme can really help with a lot on an offense, but if not one can shake a DB during the course of a route, might not matter.
    Talent didn't save the Steelers from losing a shootout to Blake Bortles. Or losing to the 2-10 Raiders last season.

I'm sorry, this whole "talent" thing rings hollow when the Steelers with their "talent" didn't win anything for ten years. Is it good to have good players that aren't complete crap? Yes. But if talent is all you have, then what does it matter? The Killer B-Era Steelers had "talent". But it got them nothing.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Talent didn't save the Steelers from losing a shootout to Blake Bortles. Or losing to the 2-10 Raiders last season.

I'm sorry, this whole "talent" thing rings hollow when the Steelers with their "talent" didn't win anything for ten years. Is it good to have good players that aren't complete crap? Yes. But if talent is all you have, then what does it matter? The Killer B-Era Steelers had "talent". But it got them nothing.
    You gotta have talent and a plan. Never said different. The Killer Bs era offense was almost always good enough. The plan and/or talent on defense never was.

So now there's a less talented roster with potential the same plan? That's shaping up to be one big yuck.