Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Mason Rudolph

I really like this young man, he's got "it" imo. Sure was the bright spot of the game.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Mason Rudolph

He does to seem to have that leadership quality that Ben doesn't have. I'm looking forward to seeing him play more

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Looks like he might be the real deal.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Let’s see what he’s like after some teams have some film on him...looks promising but I’m not starting him over Ben quite yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Let’s see what he’s like after some teams have some film on him...looks promising but I’m not starting him over Ben quite yet...
    This.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Too early to tell but I like what I see to start

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

And here comes the talk...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

So far this season he has looked better than Ben.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    So far this season he has looked better than Ben.
    He has and what piss me off with Ben today. Ben had Conner open all day when he didn't have anyone else open. Ben didn't even look his way.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Finally a backup QB that doesn't look scared and tentative. He looks comfortable in the pocket unlike Flannel Shirt XFL dude.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    He has and what piss me off with Ben today. Ben had Conner open all day when he didn't have anyone else open. Ben didn't even look his way.
    He had looked awful. No way around it. Is there any other starting QB that is looking as bad as Ben?

The end may be near.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

we are 0-2. the odds of making the playoffs when you start 0-2 is like 10% or something. i think we should roll with rudolph and find out if he's our guy or not even if ben is not injured.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    This.
    Rudolph got a one game advantage. The Seahawks prepared for one game plan and set of keys/reads from the Steelers offense. Rudolph comes in and all that goes out the window. If Ben R misses another game or 3, it will be interesting to see what defenses put in front of Rudolph and how well he digests it.

Most popular guy in town for a losing football team is the back-up QB.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He had looked awful. No way around it. Is there any other starting QB that is looking as bad as Ben?

The end may be near.
    Not many and they was just saying on CBS how bad Ben is playing. One thing is for sure, Monty is not helping either QB and needs to go.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Rudolph got a one game advantage. The Seahawks prepared for one game plan and set of keys/reads from the Steelers offense. Rudolph comes in and all that goes out the window. If Ben R misses another game or 3, it will be interesting to see what defenses put in front of Rudolph and how well he digests it.

No most popular guy because he has a pulse.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I can't wait to chant RUDY RUDY RUDY in the future.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Elsewhere, Bridgwater is in for Brees. His hand is wrapped.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Looked like Bradshaw on that second touchdown pass to Mcdonald

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I had the impression that when Rudolph went in the game plan was actually better than with Big Ben, especially in the running game. At this point I'd consider starting Rudolph regardless of whether Ben is healthy or not, at least until Rudolph struggles. But not because I think Ben is worse than Rudolph, but because the coaches' game plan for Ben is worse than the one for Rudolph.

This is basically the first time in a loooong time we had a good backup QB. I remember guys like Batch, Leftwich, Vick, Landry Jones, it was just a nightmare when Ben was injured...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Except when the back up guy plays better than the starter, he is more popular. Landry Jones wasn't exactly a fan favorite even when Ben wasn't at his best.

It's funny you say "wait until more film" when Ben's own career took off just coming off the bench in Baltimore in a losing effort and playing very well in relief. As the OP said. You can either play in the NFL, or you can't. Rudolph comes in, throws a pick on his first pass that bounces right off of the stone receivers' hands, comes back and gets the Steelers back in the game. The Defense makes one stop in the 4th and we're likely talking a comeback win.

Joshua Dobbs came in against the Raiders last season and did nothing. Game advantage or no, Reindeer should be given his due. He made the throws he needed to make. He played very well.

Ben takes over again next week against San Fran.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Except when the back up guy plays better than the starter, he is more popular. Landry Jones wasn't exactly a fan favorite even when Ben wasn't at his best.

It's funny you say "wait until more film" when Ben's own career took off just coming off the bench in Baltimore in a losing effort and playing very well in relief. As the OP said. You can either play in the NFL, or you can't. Rudolph comes in, throws a pick on his first pass that bounces right off of the stone receivers' hands, comes back and gets the Steelers back in the game. The Defense makes one stop in the 4th and we're likely talking a comeback win.

Joshua Dobbs came in against the Raiders last season and did nothing. Game advantage or no, Reindeer should be given his due. He made the throws he needed to make. He played very well.

Yep, George Kettle country.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yes, kind of amusing the hate for Dobbs when he folded against Oakland last season, but Rudolph comes in and goes 12-19 for 2 TD and 1 Moncriefception and the narrative is..."the Defense didn't prepare for him". I am willing to bet that Rudolph didn't get any starter reps this week either.

Kid looks good, looked calm in the pocket in the face of some rush. Again, I thought he could be a Kirk Cousins type guy with decent arm and good decisions. Here is hoping he is that and maybe more.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I by no means am trying to take anything away from Rudolph. I'm just not going to get too excited about 2 quarters of decent football. Does he immediately look better than Landry Jones? Yes. Am I willing to draw any conclusions about his ability to be a start in the NFL at this point? No.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, kind of amusing the hate for Dobbs when he folded against Oakland last season, but Rudolph comes in and goes 12-19 for 2 TD and 1 Moncriefception and the narrative is..."the Defense didn't prepare for him". I am willing to bet that Rudolph didn't get any starter reps this week either.

Kid looks good, looked calm in the pocket in the face of some rush. Again, I thought he could be a Kirk Cousins type guy with decent arm and good decisions. Here is hoping he is that and maybe more.
    IMO,

Rudolph showed football IQ. I still fear his arm strength and a couple of our receivers were lit up because they had to wait for the ball to get there. But, for the most part, he makes decisions and anticipates the throw, which covered for the strength today.

I do not think he should be judged for this game as a typical NFL starter because this was his first game. So, keeping that in mind, the other thing that I noticed is something I give him a pass on today, which is that he put the ball too far out of bound to to give the receiver a chance to make a play on it a few times (had he hit those passes, I'd give him an A-). Still, better safe than sorry. And, that will come with experience.

Two of his receptions were his receivers making great plays. Washington sticks out as one of them. I think the other was JuJu (which, if he hit the passes noted above and these were more on target, I'd give him an A [no such thing as an A+]). His INT is completely Moncrief's fault. Although he had a string of receptions (eight or something in a row), most of those were very short as well, so it's not quite as great as it sounds. But, again, first NFL game and no bearing on grading him for this game.

So, all said in done, he had a solid day today. Once more, I'm not convinced on his arm strength. I am convinced, however, that he realizes the same (he's even said so as I've posted in other places) and makes up for it in other ways. Only time will tell if he continually do that.

I'd give him a B+ for today. The hospital passes and throws too far OB and his receivers helping him a little (outside of Moncrief) keep it from an A. But a B+ for a QB's first NFL game experience is much higher than I'd expect.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    we are 0-2. the odds of making the playoffs when you start 0-2 is like 10% or something. i think we should roll with rudolph and find out if he's our guy or not even if ben is not injured.
    This 10% success rate after starting 0-2 is really skewed by a bunch of really bad and mediocre teams. I’m still not convinced this team falls in that group.

Although at this stage alot depends on the health of Ben

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Good job by Rudolph today. Today. He looked like he was ready when he was called. He looked ready to run this offense with at least most of the playbook open to him if not all of it. HE executed well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Rudolph’s TD pass to McDonald was beautifully executed.

edit: Dagnabbit!!! B2S just used the word executed. I wanted to use that verb!!!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Rudolph’s TD pass to McDonald was beautifully executed.

edit: Dagnabbit!!! B2S just used the word executed. I wanted to use that verb!!!
    Too slow!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    This 10% success rate after starting 0-2 is really skewed by a bunch of really bad and mediocre teams. I’m still not convinced this team falls in that group.

Although at this stage alot depends on the health of Ben
    With an 0-2 start, youve basically got to go 10-4 just to make the playoffs.

Does this team look like it's going 10-4? Not anytime soon. I know it's just a couple of games, but unless these were especially misleading, we did not just lose them because of bad luck.

One touchdown by Ben in 6 quarters, and a short-field dink job that might as well have been a defensive TD at that. Regardless of whatever Rudolph does, it really seems like there's something off with Ben. I wonder if he didn't have some problem already, and today's injury was just what put it over the edge.
    See you Space Cowboy ...