Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Mason Rudolph

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I will be watching to see where the offense goes for "shot" plays. Ben took most of his big shots along the sideline or into the "hole" between the safety and the CB, again along the sideline. If Rudolph's arm is as suspect as some reports like to paint it as, then he would be better served to make his plays between the LB and Safety level over the middle of the field. I wonder if they shift the play-calls and design a bit to get Rudolph back to what he was doing in college by throwing deep down the middle or if the continue to look for big plays along the boundary?
    McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Rudolph can sling a deep shot going down the sideline. Anyone in the NFL can do that. It's the deep outs where people believe his arm strength is suspect. When throwing a deep out, You have to get the ball in there or its broken up, or worse, a pick six going the other way. Mason's accuracy isn't a issue (It's probably his greatest advantage). Can the ball get there in time before the defender can react thats the concerning thing. Mason is accurate, but his throws float like balloons.

Fichtner has to figure something out about Mason. Maybe anticipatory/timing passes to the outside perhaps, shortening the pass routes maybe.

Mason is a totally different beast from Ben. He has the same size, but has nowhere near the same physical gifts and traits. This is where I'm concerned that the Steelers' bullheaded approach that will cause this teams' demise.
    Yep. That's my exact concern. Mason can probably throw the ball into a buck at 30 yards and he also seems to make up for arm strength in anticipation. Both of those are good things. The problem comes when the ball is in the air long enough for the defense to see it and then react to come get it. The only thing that stops that is getting the ball there faster than anyone else see, adjust, and then make a play.

That said, here's hoping he goes out tomorrow and lights up the score board.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Overall Solid job for Mason today. It was a tough out for him early for various reasons and got his "Welcome to the NFL" moment, but he showed poise and pulled it together, of course, once he was allowed to throw longer than five yards. A Conner fumble away from icing a huge win.

He got his first start out of the way. Not bad.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Rough start but Rudolph did well enough vs a tough 49ers defense.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Rough start but Rudolph did well enough vs a tough 49ers defense.
    I've seen Ben play worse.

I think my avatar my be like the Madden curse though...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Statistically his first start was a lot better than Ben's. Unfortunately we don't have the #1 defense or the Bus to pound defenses into submission 30+ times a game

Rudolph maybe can gain some confidence finally not going up against a top tier defense in the Bengals. Credit where it's due, SF probably has one of the best front sevens in the league.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Statistically his first start was a lot better than Ben's. Unfortunately we don't have the #1 defense or the Bus to pound defenses into submission 30+ times a game
    Better than Ben's first start and better than Ben's last start.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Looking at some old game logs, my god it seems so long ago lol. It wasn't uncommon for them to pass the ball 33% of the time. I missed that, I remember always saying "You can't let the Steelers run on you, if they have success with it they'll do it ALL game". And that they did.

The Chicago game where Bettis trucked Urlacher, Ben only passed it 20 times. Bettis with 17 rushes and Parker with 21. Kreider / Verron Haynes / Randle El chipped in for 6 more rushes. Today's offense couldn't be more opposite

Yeah 17 for 22 passing was pretty common for wiz’s offense at that time.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tom Bradys first games. It took him 5 games to get things rolling, Mason has played one full game, he's going to be fine imo.

2000 season

Brady started the season as the fourth-string quarterback, behind starter Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop; by season's end, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe.[117] During his rookie season, he was 1-for-3 passing, for six yards.[118] Tight end Rod Rutledge caught Brady's first and only completed pass of the season in a 34–9 loss to the Detroit Lions on November 23.[119][120]

2001 season

With Bledsoe as the starting quarterback, the Patriots opened the season with a 23–17 road loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.[118] In their second game and home opener on September 23, the Patriots squared off against their AFC East rivals, the New York Jets. Bledsoe was again the starter; in the fourth quarter, he suffered internal bleeding after a hit from Jets linebacker Mo Lewis. Bledsoe returned for the next series, but was replaced with Brady for the Patriots' final series of the game. Brady completed five of ten passes for 46 yards, but New York held on to win, 10–3, and the Patriots fell to 0–2 on the season.[121] Brady was named the starter for the season's third game, against the Indianapolis Colts. In his first two games as starter, Brady posted unspectacular passer ratings of 79.6 and 58.7, respectively, in a 44–13 victory over the Colts (in their last season in the AFC East) and a 30–10 loss to the Miami Dolphins.[122][123][124

In the Patriots' fifth game, Brady began to find his stride. Trailing the visiting
    San Diego Chargers 26–16 in the fourth quarter, he led the Patriots on two scoring drives to force overtime, and another in overtime to set up a winning field goal. Brady finished the game with 33 of 54, for 364 yards, and two touchdowns, and was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for the first time in his career.[125][126] The following week, Brady again played well during the rematch at Indianapolis, with a passer rating of 148.3 in a 38–17 win.[127] The Patriots went on to win eleven of the fourteen games Brady started, and six straight to finish the regular season, winning the AFC East and entering the 2001–02 NFL playoffs with a first-round bye.[128] In that stretch was a Week 11 34–17 victory over the New Orleans Saints where he was 19 of 26 for 258 passing yards and four touchdowns to earn his second AFC Offensive Player of the Week nod in 2001.[129] In Week 15, against the Miami Dolphins, he recorded a 23-yard reception from Kevin Faulk on a trick play.[130] Brady finished the 2001 season with 2,843 passing yards and 18 touchdowns and earned an invitation to the 2002 Pro Bowl.[118][131]
    Last edited by Shoes; 09-23-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Um, for everyone touting Rudolph's statistics, you do realize he only threw TWO receptions beyond the line of scrimmage, right? Look, like any other player, he need time to grow and understand the game at this level. But let's keep a little reality to the numbers here. Two receptions beyond the line of scrimmage and a 50 percent completion rate. Again, this was his first game as a starter and this year will be all about getting him experience so I expect mistakes.

But again, let's keep within the realm of reality here folks.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I think Rudolph played pretty good against the Niners. We probably would have won the game if Tomlin hadn't insisted on playing 1935-style football in the first half, being one-dimensional and mostly run plays or short passes. The deep ball clearly is a strength of Rudolph, but the Niners D had not to account for it for most of the game because Tomlin and Fichtner were too scared to let Rudolph air it out.

I mean, we had great field position due all that takeaways but still managed only two field goals off of these. Even if Rudolph just takes three shots to the endzone in these we have at least one TD and maybe one interception but it's still 7 points compared to 6....

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Um, for everyone touting Rudolph's statistics, you do realize he only threw TWO receptions beyond the line of scrimmage, right? Look, like any other player, he need time to grow and understand the game at this level. But let's keep a little reality to the numbers here. Two receptions beyond the line of scrimmage and a 50 percent completion rate. Again, this was his first game as a starter and this year will be all about getting him experience so I expect mistakes.

I haven't seen anyone touting him. You also realize that he doesnt call the plays, right?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

No one is touting him. We’re just saying he didn’t do too bad for his first real NFL action. He gave the Steelers a chance to win, and nearly did it against a stout 49er team. That’s more than what we could’ve asked for from him for his first start. Could he have done better? Yes. But the bottom line is the Steelers had a chance to win a major upset. Conner effectively ruined everything.

Mason took the blame for the loss.

Rudy is going to be fine.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

By design or chaeck down? I tend to think a little of both but mostly by design.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    By design or chaeck down? I tend to think a little of both but mostly by design.
    Or by situation as it unfolded. Both OTs were human turnstiles on Sunday. The pass rush was getting to Mason about the same time as the football was.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    No one is touting him. We’re just saying he didn’t do too bad for his first real NFL action. He gave the Steelers a chance to win, and nearly did it against a stout 49er team. That’s more than what we could’ve asked for from him for his first start. Could he have done better? Yes. But the bottom line is the Steelers had a chance to win a major upset. Conner effectively ruined everything.

Mason took the blame for the loss.

Rudy is going to be fine.
    You mean the defense gave him a chance with 5 turnovers.
    Yes I know they gave 2 back that's still a plus 3 in extra possessions he did nothing with basically.
    Not saying he can't improve but he has to do more

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    You mean the defense gave him a chance with 5 turnovers.
    Yes I know they gave 2 back that's still a plus 3 in extra possessions he did nothing with basically.
    Not saying he can't improve but he has to do more
    Well, he can only do what he's allowed to do. They'll open up the playbook as they gain confidence in him. He made a lot of progress in this first start, going from 3 and outs to 3rd down conversions to sustained drives. I'm sure our offense will become more productive as the season progresses, but defenses will also get more film to study.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Just a thought but what if it’s just a case of the rest of the league not letting poor Rudolph win any NFL games?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just a thought but what if it’s just a case of the rest of the league not letting poor Rudolph win any NFL games?

….......then one foggy Christmas Eve, Santa came to say......

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    ….......then one foggy Christmas Eve, Santa came to say......
    Maybe he’d excel in a game like the fog bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Cant you just re-purpose your old Dennis Dixon jersey? Or, were you a Brian St. Pierre guy?
    Strangely enough, I never got a Dixon jersey... what was I thinking??

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Strangely enough, I never got a Dixon jersey... what was I thinking??
    I'm getting my Willie Parker jersey back out thanks to Minkah and will put masking tape over Parker. Ps. I refuse to support the NFL and buy any of their merchandise so this will work.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I'm getting my Willie Parker jersey back out thanks to Minkah and will put masking tape over Parker. Ps. I refuse to support the NFL and buy any of their merchandise so this will work.
    http://www.thenamechanger.com/about.html

Just do this. I'm changing my Bell jersey to a Woodson jersey.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    http://www.thenamechanger.com/about.html

Just do this. I'm changing my Bell jersey to a Woodson jersey.
    Haha and cool and thanks for the link! Ps. Bell will never be a HOF like Woodson so good call!

There’s so much negativity about Rudolph’s potential in these threads. I don’t think anyone on here knows who has what it takes to be a great quarterback. For that matter, there’s very few NFL HC’s or GM’s that know. Guys like Minshew and Allen are showing they have what it takes. There’s first round busts at the position every year. I’ll form my opinion on MR a little more after tonight but all these negative takes really mean nothing.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    There’s so much negativity about Rudolph’s potential in these threads. I don’t think anyone on here knows who has what it takes to be a great quarterback. For that matter, there’s very few NFL HC’s or GM’s that know. Guys like Minshew and Allen are showing they have what it takes. There’s first round busts at the position every year. I’ll form my opinion on MR a little more after tonight but all these negative takes really mean nothing.
    Maybe for Rudolph to be successful, he needs to start rocking a lip-worm like Gardner Fumanchu II.

Gardener Minshew, some 6th round QB who quickly becomes a savior... hmm, sounds familiar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Gardener Minshew, some 6th round QB who quickly becomes a savior... hmm, sounds familiar
    Looking at these two scouting reports, I would actually have thought Minshew was the better prospect!

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gardne...8-dcddea9bb1f6
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mason-...e-28502c0847e4