Thread: done with purgotory

Junior Member Array title="steelamazing is on a distinguished road">

done with purgotory

For the hope of steeler nation, it is time to rebuild in the draft. while Mike Tomlin thumps his chest about never having a losing season, the fact is he has taken a 10 year window and turned it into mediocrity.
    I hate to say it, however rebounding against the Seahawks will only be more of the same, we need to start a decline that will yield us high draft picks, if Tomlin sinks with no superstars to cheer for at this given time, we could see a 2 to 3 year collapse that will yield us high draft picks, and since rooney will never fire Tomlin, we could have several years of high draft picks before tomlin resigns and a new coach with young talent is inserted, so tomorrow if Tomlin falls on his face again, then maybe the process will begin for the Steelers to one day be competitive again with a real team, we must endure bad times to cleanse ourselves of mediocre purgotory.

At this given time we have 2 choices, and tomorrow may tell the story, we rebound and go 8-8 for the season, or we look like an inept team that finishes in the bottom 10 with high draft picks, I see nothing more promising, hope I am wrong, but I dont think I am

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: done with purgotory

I hate to break it to you, but we blow two-thirds of our high draft picks on "tremendous raw athletes" who can't play football. Having a top-10 pick a couple of times is not going to fix all our problems if we are actually bad enough to get that kind of pick. The only thing those are really necessary for is getting a new quarterback, and we've already got a guy in mind for that. So the only thing a losing srason would be good for is getting rid of Tomlin. Whixh would be a nice silver lining IMO, but then again, they might not even fire him after that, so even then there's not much reason to hope for a bad season.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think seeing another Super Bowl win will require Tomlin to be gone and replaced with a better head coach. That will probably take at least 2 consecutive losing seasons. That will be hard to envision unless Ben retires or falls off a cliff production wise. Sadly I agree it may take bad times for ownership to do what's necessary for a Super Bowl. As of right now Rooney seems comfortable with this cycle of massive underachieving and acquiring of draft and free agent busts because they have enough on the team to not have a losing season which seems to be a standard of this team's success.

Junior Member Array title="steelamazing is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but we blow two-thirds of our high draft picks on "tremendous raw athletes" who can't play football. Having a top-10 pick a couple of times is not going to fix all our problems if we are actually bad enough to get that kind of pick. The only thing those are really necessary for is getting a new quarterback, and we've already got a guy in mind for that. So the only thing a losing srason would be good for is getting rid of Tomlin. Whixh would be a nice silver lining IMO, but then again, they might not even fire him after that, so even then there's not much reason to hope for a bad season.
    WE havent drafted high this millenium since 2004, and we got Ben, and before that we traded up to get Troy, we can get some beasts with high draft picks and not have to reach

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelamazing View Post
    WE havent drafted high this millenium since 2004, and we got Ben, and before that we traded up to get Troy, we can get some beasts with high draft picks and not have to reach
    Back then though, the Steelers were better drafters and did better drafting, even with the same lower draft position they have now

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Let's just say Mike Tomlin received only a one year extension for a reason. After the antics of 2017 and 2018 and the fallout resulting from it, patience is running out on Mikey.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I've never heard Mike Tomlin thump his chest about not having a losing season.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I never want to be a tank the season team! There is too much talent on this roster and they would not allow it.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I've never heard Mike Tomlin thump his chest about not having a losing season.