Thread: Yes, this is a must win game.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Yes, this is a must win game.

When you consider the slide at the end of last season, and getting our doors blown off in a high profile game to start the season, this is a must win game.

A loss means we lost 6 of the last 8, starting from the slide in 2018. When was the last time the Steelers ever lost 6 of their last 8?

0-2 = tough to make the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Yes, this is a must win game.

As long as there are varying degrees of 'must' I will agree. This is a lower level must. I expect a win and a loss most likely falls squarely on Tomlin for failing to have his team ready.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Agreed must win but call me crazy and not to worried. I think this team is going to surprise in a good way this year and starts Sunday.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

IMO, there's no such thing as a "must- win game". Failure is always an option, and the Steelers might just very well suck right now. It has happened in the past, although a lot of Steeler Nation is probably too young to remember it.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    IMO, there's no such thing as a "must- win game". Failure is always an option, and the Steelers might just very well suck right now. It has happened in the past, although a lot of Steeler Nation is probably too young to remember it.
    1999- 6-10 season after a 7-9 collapse in 1998.

2003- 6-10 season

2006- 2-6 Start

2009- Pathetic Late season collapse

2013- 0-4 Start. Worst start since 1958.

All the recent times I can remember the Steelers being truly awful. Granted it wasn't long, but Sunday will provide more evidence wether or not this team is trending up or down.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The steeler way is to win enough games to get close to the playoffs, then let other teams decide if you go home or move forward. Pretty chickenshit imo.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

2003- 6-10 season

2006- 2-6 Start

All the recent times I can remember the Steelers being truly awful. Granted it wasn't long, but Sunday will provide more evidence wether or not this team is trending up or down.
    I add 2012 to the list

6-3 after a Monday night win in which Ben sustained one of his then annual injuries (that one was a separated shoulder/dislocated rib that Ben said threatened to cut his aorta) followed by losing 5 of the next 6 until a meaningless win in Cleveland finished up the season at 8-8. That season was when the defense’s decline & age accelerated. Could see a similar slide on the offensive side now with an aging QB and OL.

But hopefully not this Sunday since I am making my annual pilgrimage to Heinz for the Seahawks game.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The steeler way is to win enough games to get close to the playoffs, then let other teams decide if you go home or move forward. Pretty chickenshit imo.
    The Steeler way is to be satisfied with any season that doesn't end in a losing season. The standard is 8 wins

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They lose this game and there’s a really good chance they are 1-3 or even 0-4 going into the home game against the Ravens...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

My memory is not what it once was BUT I do remember on at least a few occasions there have been teams start off a season like 6-0 and not even get to play in the SuperBowl. Can you imagine that? A team starts off the season like that right out of the gate with 6 wins in a row and the league doesn't just let them play in the SuperBowl. It's like there's some other qualifier outside of a great big fuzzy start to the season. Week 1 sucked! Week 2 MAY not be a whole lot better, but it might be.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    This isn’t a Mike Tomzcak or Kent Graham team. This team is too talented to suck.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

2003- 6-10 season

2006- 2-6 Start

I lived though the 1988 season, by far the worst in my lifetime.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I lived though the 1988 season, by far the worst in my lifetime.
    Ugly season.
    1986 was not far behind 88

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They lose this game and there’s a really good chance they are 1-3 or even 0-4 going into the home game against the Ravens...
    Gee, I guess anything is possible.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I add 2012 to the list

6-3 after a Monday night win in which Ben sustained one of his then annual injuries (that one was a separated shoulder/dislocated rib that Ben said threatened to cut his aorta) followed by losing 5 of the next 6 until a meaningless win in Cleveland finished up the season at 8-8. That season was when the defense’s decline & age accelerated. Could see a similar slide on the offensive side now with an aging QB and OL.

But hopefully not this Sunday since I am making my annual pilgrimage to Heinz for the Seahawks game.
    Have a great time Dan.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I add 2012 to the list

Now I really hope they win. Have a great time.

In al honesty, if they can come out of the first 4 weeks 2-2 but with the scheme issues and roles sorted out for the better on both sides of the ball, then they would be in shape for a heck of a season.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

I would greatly prefer that they win, obviously. By which I mean that a 1-1 team is in a lot better shape statistically to have a playoff run, then an 0-2 team. But getting a handle on how to win seems to be the big problem. Honestly I did see a ton of "we'll try some stuff and then rely on a superstar to bail us out on 3rd down" the last 5+ years. There is going to be a bunch of ugly wins while they develop their identity all over again if we hope for another playoff run. If they tank and fall short, then maybe its time to look at some coaching changes, even for the team that believes in staying the course more than any other in the league.

But if they do pull out a playoff appearance, not the right time to pull anybody.

Enjoy!!!

Remind me if you are a jinx or a good-luck charm? My memory seems to recall you witnessing a streak of losses or a streak of wins (but, I cannot recall which is is).

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I define Anger- "As an expectation that you have created for yourself that you think you deserve, that gets unmet"

When I was mad for about 45 minutes about the Patriots week one , I kept cuss'n and punching the air pointing fingers at coaching and dropped balls and missed pick penalties. I was expecting a high flying offensive battle.ALTHOUGH, I realized that I have blew up a huge expectation of a high performance out of my Steelers. SO the only person I have to blame is me. I have lowered my expectations for the Steelers appropriately for a team whose player makers (WR, TE, and RB) average age is 24.5 years old. As well as a defense whose average age is 25 years old.

My new expectations:

In my personal opinion we are young talented team still developing , with a HOF QB. Because we have a HOF QB we are never counted out. Although I don't expect us to crush anyone this year. Its going to be a dog fight and we are going to have to claw for a win every week. Still very much capable to win the AFC North division.

So as a fan I will cheer the small victories in the game;
    -Secondary pass defense improvements,
    -The confidence to rise on a young wide receiver corps,
    -Improvement on play calling and in game adjustments.

To I expect to them win ... NO
    Do I want them to win.... OF COURSE EVERY GAME!

HERE WE GO!
    (Got kinda deep there, sorry )

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    I define Anger- "As an expectation that you have created for yourself that you think you deserve, that gets unmet"

When I was mad for about 45 minutes about the Patriots week one , I kept cuss'n and punching the air pointing fingers at coaching and dropped balls and missed pick penalties. I was expecting a high flying offensive battle.ALTHOUGH, I realized that I have blew up a huge expectation of a high performance out of my Steelers. SO the only person I have to blame is me. I have lowered my expectations for the Steelers appropriately for a team whose player makers (WR, TE, and RB) average age is 24.5 years old. As well as a defense whose average age is 25 years old.

My new expectations:

In my personal opinion we are young talented team still developing , with a HOF QB. Because we have a HOF QB we are never counted out. Although I don't expect us to crush anyone this year. Its going to be a dog fight and we are going to have to claw for a win every week. Still very much capable to win the AFC North division.

HERE WE GO!
    Great post.

I doubt that I’ll read anything more rational today.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post

My new expectations:

HERE WE GO!
    This is a great take. Well said.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Well Hard Knocks should be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler