Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would your plan be this week?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What would your plan be this week?

With all of the mistakes, miscues, miscommunication, and misery of week 1 behind us. It’s Weds of game week 2 which means putting the game plan together. The Seahawks are a run first offense but have a very capable QB in Wilson and big play threats at WR. Instead of waiting until after the game to critique what the coaches/players ‘should have done’, post some insight on how this Steelers team needs to approach this week’s game defensively.

The Seahawks defense gave up some big plays to Cincy last week to make that game much more interesting than it should have been. I don’t know much about this Seahawks defense yet other than they added 2 veteran pass rushers. Instead of the Monday morning QB approach to analysis, what would be your offensive game plan this week against the Seahawks?

I’m curious how the overall forum gameplan will or won’t differ from the actual gameplan the Steelers employ on Sunday. And sort of a ‘here’s your chance to show how it SHOULD be done’. SOUND FUN?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: What would your plan be this week?

First and foremost, Moncrief gets demoted to the bottom of the WR list. I'm not basing this off one game, I'm basing this off a horrible preseason performance as well as that last game. This is a trend and not just 'one game'. He might have looked good in team drills and football in shorts, but the guy doesn't have the physicality to be a #2 WR. Some of his drops were caught passes that were easily ripped from him by the defender. And we're not even talking about good plays by the defender, these are the types of combat catches every #2 should be able to routinely make. Some of these could turn into fumbles if the hit happens a second later. Dude is SOFT. Promote Washington to #2 (should have been already based on superior preseason performance), Switzer and Johnson as the #3 and #4.

Get McDonald involved in the passing game. Seriously. They didn't involve him in the game plan until the game was out of reach. He needs to have a part since he's one of the veterans / familiar pieces in this offense.

Scrap the empty backfield and 5 wide, I'm cool with 4-wide + Conner / Samuels in the backfield. Harder to pass against those 7 DB subpackages if a run isn't even an option. The defense needs to be kept honest, and that would help if you have a pro bowl RB in the backfield they have to account for. The 5-wide might have worked in just outright being too much heat to handle when you got AB, but you don't have AB.

Run the ball in short yardage, and I don't mean "toss to the outside when the entire defense is expecting a run". Especially when our RB is a power back and not a scatback.

More Devin Bush and less Barron. Wilson is always a threat to run and I think this could be a game where Bush will see 90% of the snaps. He's your best bet to spy Wilson and prevent those killer 1st down+ scrambles. Should be an easier assignment on a mental level than defending what Brady does, and this kid needs more experience.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    First and foremost, Moncrief gets demoted to the bottom of the WR list. I'm not basing this off one game, I'm basing this off a horrible preseason performance as well as that last game. This is a trend and not just 'one game'. He might have looked good in team drills and football in shorts, but the guy doesn't have the physicality to be a #2 WR. Some of his drops were caught passes that were easily ripped from him by the defender. And we're not even talking about good plays by the defender, these are the types of combat catches every #2 should be able to routinely make. Some of these could turn into fumbles if the hit happens a second later. Dude is SOFT. Promote Washington to #2 (should have been already based on superior preseason performance), Switzer and Johnson as the #3 and #4.

Get McDonald involved in the passing game. Seriously. They didn't involve him in the game plan until the game was out of reach. He needs to have a part since he's one of the veterans / familiar pieces in this offense.

Scrap the empty backfield and 5 wide, I'm cool with 4-wide + Conner / Samuels in the backfield. Harder to pass against those 7 DB subpackages if a run isn't even an option. The defense needs to be kept honest, and that would help if you have a pro bowl RB in the backfield they have to account for. The 5-wide might have worked in just outright being too much heat to handle when you got AB, but you don't have AB.

Run the ball in short yardage, and I don't mean "toss to the outside when the entire defense is expecting a run". Especially when our RB is a power back and not a scatback.

More Devin Bush and less Barron. Wilson is always a threat to run and I think this could be a game where Bush will see 90% of the snaps. He's your best bet to spy Wilson and prevent those killer 1st down+ scrambles. Should be an easier assignment on a mental level than defending what Brady does, and this kid needs more experience.
    Since Seattle is more of a run first team I think I agree with VW and Bush at ILB at least 80% of the snaps.(since this is a thing now).
    Also agree on Moncreif to an extent. I don’t believe that was who he is. Bad game but yes promote Wash over him this week to at least send the message.
    5 wide means empty backfield. Any other formation we need a RB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here goes:

1. More pre-snap motion and play-action. Help the WRs and Ben identify coverage and where to go with the ball. None of these guys have yet proven they can get good separation in the NFL level. Certainly not AB or Bryant levels of open. That means the windows are going to be far smaller. Ball has to come out quicker to hit a smaller target window. So actually help your pass catchers and QB figure a few things out before the ball is snapped. You know, like every offense in the league.

2. Sean Davis plays. That fixes about a half dozen things on defense. Maybe then have Kelly play Barron's role?

3. Hargrave plays more pass rush snaps. Even at the expense of Heyward and Tuitt.

4. Conner gets more straight ahead rushing. And actually pull an interior lineman. It is the thing Decastro and Pouncey typically do best.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Since Seattle is more of a run first team I think I agree with VW and Bush at ILB at least 80% of the snaps.(since this is a thing now).
    Also agree on Moncreif to an extent. I don’t believe that was who he is. Bad game but yes promote Wash over him this week to at least send the message.
    5 wide means empty backfield. Any other formation we need a RB.
    About Moncrief, do you think his hand injury is something still affecting him? He gets the ball ripped away a little too easily, and if that doesn't change, I'm seeing more fumbles in his future. A hand injury I'd imagine would be something that affects both catching and ball security. In either case he needs to sit behind Washington based on merit alone.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah correct me if I'm just about every Conner rushing attempt the other night was in the shot gun? I agree run Connor from the normal running set. More no huddle Ben seems to be better at when the offense is struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Yeah correct me if I'm just about every Conner rushing attempt the other night was in the shot gun? I agree run Connor from the normal running set. More no huddle Ben seems to be better at when the offense is struggling.
    Pretty much. Running from the shotgun usually is effective at catching the defense off guard, but when it happens all the time, there's not much of a surprise element to it.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here goes:

1. More pre-snap motion and play-action. Help the WRs and Ben identify coverage and where to go with the ball. None of these guys have yet proven they can get good separation in the NFL level. Certainly not AB or Bryant levels of open. That means the windows are going to be far smaller. Ball has to come out quicker to hit a smaller target window. So actually help your pass catchers and QB figure a few things out before the ball is snapped. You know, like every offense in the league.

2. Sean Davis plays. That fixes about a half dozen things on defense. Maybe then have Kelly play Barron's role?

3. Hargrave plays more pass rush snaps. Even at the expense of Heyward and Tuitt.

4. Conner gets more straight ahead rushing. And actually pull an interior lineman. It is the thing Decastro and Pouncey typically do best.

Sounds good. I never understood why they haven't used Hargrave more in pass-rushing snaps. I'd also get McDonald involved early and often.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Notice how none of the "Fire all the incompetent coaches" crowd every comes over to these threads and posts any specifics? Weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Sounds good. I never understood why they haven't used Hargrave more in pass-rushing snaps. I'd also get McDonald involved early and often.
    Forgot about the TE. I should have known you would not!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    About Moncrief, do you think his hand injury is something still affecting him? He gets the ball ripped away a little too easily, and if that doesn't change, I'm seeing more fumbles in his future. A hand injury I'd imagine would be something that affects both catching and ball security. In either case he needs to sit behind Washington based on merit alone.
    Maybe. But an NFL WR is going to have sore fingers and hands. I don’t think it looked that bad of a dislocation. No surgery right?
    Conner running north and south is how to use him best. Agreed.
    The presnap motion to get the defense to show coverages was absent week 1. Ben’s better than that. I think we see it return this week. Agreed.
    With Seattle being more run oriented I would run more true 3 DL fronts too. Use Hargrave, Alualu, and McCullers at least on some type rotation. Tough test IMO.

https://deadspin.com/the-cowboys-loo...ell-1838044163

Good examples from the Cowboys new offense about how pre-snap motion just messes up the defense's plan. Why doesn't Pittsburgh use any of this?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Notice how none of the "Fire all the incompetent coaches" crowd every comes over to these threads and posts any specifics? Weird.
    !
    I was thinking the same thing, but did you really have to jinx it?

Maybe it’s good to have a few “FIRE EVERYONE!” threads to operate kind of like sticky bug strips to catch all of those posts. I just need to remember not to go to them myself. I find that when I get too much unproductive sticky negativity on my hands it becomes hard to wash off.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Good examples from the Cowboys new offense about how pre-snap motion just messes up the defense's plan. Why doesn't Pittsburgh use any of this?
    Because that would require some degree of preparation, which the Tomlin Steelers absolutely do not do, or at least don’t do very well.

Mike Tomlin’s M.O from the day he was hired was never one to outsmart or out X and O his opponent, or maximize his matchups, exploit opponent weaknesses or use strengths. He always coached on imposing his will and just flat out beating opponents through sheer force and matchup and pulling through to the end. He is emotional. Not cerebral.

This really works a lot when your team is far more talented than the competition, but when faced with an equally emotional opponent or talented team or a chess player like Belichick, his achilles’ heel shines through. This is why it seems every time the Steelers play proportional to the skill level of their opponent, namely “play down” to inferior teams or just get waxed by the Patriots.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Teach fundamentals. Make sure each player knows every play backwards and forward. Run 1,000 different scenarios against defense until they understand the defense and stay disciplined. Have a plan that exposes the opponent's weaknesses. Make sure players understand that plan by re-running it at least 500 times per day.

Cancel all dancing. Focus on the game and the next play.

This will be difficult because I feel the coaching just isn't there.
    Hater = Realist

Oh. Okay. Here they are with no actual ideas or contributions.

Notice the thread title was NOT what would Tomlin or Butler or Fichtner do, but what would You do.

As usual, when tasked with actually contributing something original and focused on football specifics the loudest critics have the quietest voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Teach fundamentals. Make sure each player knows every play backwards and forward. Run 1,000 different scenarios against defense until they understand the defense and stay disciplined. Have a plan that exposes the opponent's weaknesses. Make sure players understand that plan by re-running it at least 500 times per day.

Cancel all dancing. Focus on the game and the next play.

This will be difficult because I feel the coaching just isn't there.
    The Seahawks team weakness may be on the defense right now. The only reason the Bengals stayed close in that week 1 game was due to a couple big plays. Maybe the Steelers need to run to set up play action for one of those deep routes this week.
    Getting everyone on defense on the same page is/should be highest priority. 2 of the Pats TDs came when Watt left the field. Watt was the defensive signal caller Sunday night. Obviously this resulted in communication breakdown.
    I would keep Edmunds in the box for run support and shallow cross/flat routes.
    Keep the middle run lanes clogged, Watt and Dupree need to keep outside contain, and tackle tackle tackle.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Oh. Okay. Here they are with no actual ideas or contributions.

Notice the thread title was NOT what would Tomlin or Butler or Fichtner do, but what would You do.

As usual, when tasked with actually contributing something original and focused on football specifics the loudest critics have the quietest voices.
    I told you you jinxed it.

But I can probably tell you what they would do. They would fire Tomlin and not even worry about who was hired to replace him. If the new coach happens to win, it was clearly the right decision. If the new coach loses, it’s still Tomlin’s fault because the new guy is losing with Tomlin’s horribly coached players, so it was still clearly the right decision.

So firing Tomlin can never be the wrong decision, no matter who replaces him. I understand Hue Jackson is available.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

On offense let's get back to being tough and running the football. Moncrief out, Nix in. Use McDonald. Once the ground game gets going it opens up play action. Flex Samules out once the defense puts an extra linebacker in and make them cover him.

On defense, the pass rush MUST get there as the DB's can't cover. Guard against the deep ball. Hopefully Bush and Barron play better.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an NFL head coach, nor do I claim to be one on the internet.

If it was me, my focus would be on defense. Go after Wilson with the same plan we used against Carolina last year. As long as he attempts to scramble, drill him. Hard. We'll get burned a couple times, but they will be forced to alter their plan. Once he's forced to be a pocket passer, their offense will stall.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I told you you jinxed it.

But I can probably tell you what they would do. They would fire Tomlin and not even worry about who was hired to replace him. If the new coach happens to win, it was clearly the right decision. If the new coach loses, it’s still Tomlin’s fault because the new guy is losing with Tomlin’s horribly coached players, so it was still clearly the right decision.

So firing Tomlin can never be the wrong decision, no matter who replaces him. I understand Hue Jackson is available.
    Hue says he really wants another shot, too. Likely super motivated. Let's do it!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Cause we have incompetent coaches? I'm not a coach I don't know what they need to do, but I can tell it's crap. Year after year were told it's not the coaches, but you asked why don't the Steelers do more of "that" . That's a great question

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    On offense let's get back to being tough and running the football. Moncrief out, Nix in. Use McDonald. Once the ground game gets going it opens up play action. Flex Samules out once the defense puts an extra linebacker in and make them cover him.

On defense, the pass rush MUST get there as the DB's can't cover. Guard against the deep ball. Hopefully Bush and Barron play better.
    Isn’t Nix injured? Or might he actually play?

I haven’t heard what the Steelers plan to do at the FB position if Nix is hurt.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Same reasons they don’t use play action?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Isn’t Nix injured? Or might he actually play?

I haven’t heard what the Steelers plan to do at the FB position if Nix is hurt.
    Really, there is no plan. If Nix is hurt, they don’t run any FB plays on offense (that’s normal) and they find someone to replace him on special teams.

If they do want to run 21 personnel without a FB, they just motion a TE in from 12 personnel to 21. They’ve done that in the past...mostly with Heath because he could do it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

On any given offensive play, someone is open and/or there is a mismatch. Last week, the Taperiots were hellbent in taking away the receivers, leaving James Conner open. I’m not sure where the “hole” will be this week, but as soon as it shows it’s ugly head, the Steelers need to attack it.

My guess would be that Bobby Wagner will eliminate that dump-off to Conner. Ergo, a cross route right behind that should be open (the Tapes dropped Hightower back into that spot early & often). I’d like for that to be targets at Vance McDonald.

All of that said, my guess... Moncrief is going to be open. And, he simply has to catch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Same reasons they don’t use play action?
    So Ben doesn’t like it? That’s the reason that’s been given in the past by the team. Same with RPO stuff.

So WRS that can’t separate and an old gunslinger that can’t throw deep anymore. No pre snap motion or disguise.

That’s a recipe for a horrendous offense.

Hopefully it was just one bad game and it gets better.

What is the Seahawks weakness? With only one game to look at it seems to be the deep pass. I would place a small bet we see more Steelers in a spread formation. This does play into Seattle’s ability to rush so expect Ben to take some hits.
    On offense the Seahawks seem to be pretty solid. I guess their weakness would be take away the veteran WR and make them win with the run and the rookieWR? I think we really want to keep Russell contained inside the pocket too. This could be one of those tackle the catch is a decent idea. Maybe get a pick or cause a fumble. I’m a bit stuck on a good defensive plan.

So Ben doesn’t like it? That’s the reason that’s been given in the past by the team. Same with RPO stuff.

So WRS that can’t separate and an old gunslinger that can’t throw deep anymore. No pre snap motion or disguise.

That’s the thing about the Steelers pass offense. It looks very simple from the naked eye compared to say the Patriots offense. Steelers offense appears to be basic routes. If those routes aren’t open then Ben extends the play and Antonio Brown gets open. The Patriots receivers run crossing and intertwining routes, someone gets open and Brady hits them in stride of the route. The one time the Steelers tried something like this on Sunday, two of the receivers ran into each other.

I’m not sure if that’s an accurate assessment, but without analyzing film, it appears that way.

I’ve heard a couple takes after the all 22 released and analysts are saying WRs were getting open. Maybe not ‘college’ open but there were windows. Ben just didn’t see a lot of them. One example was a crosser to Switzer for a short gain and JuJu actually had 2 steps on his defense. Ben never looked JuJu’s direction. Plus Ben simply missed on throws too. Drops, QB not going through progressions, no real threat to run(Pats D did a good job but you still need the option), no presnap motion, all tell me this offense is still trying to gel. Still in TC/preseason mode. May take a few games to sort this out. Unfortunate.