Thread: Nice Breakdown of Kelly's Breakdowns

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Nice Breakdown of Kelly's Breakdowns

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/fi...rst-nfl-start/

Good overview of why the middle of the field was a party for the Patriots.

Before everyone just focuses on VW on Gordon. He looks to have the underneath taken away. It is Kelly's lack of play over the top that allows Brady to find a window to get the ball to Gordon. I'm not saying I'm of fan of the concept, but to my eyes it looks to be Kelly's "fault" way more than VW's.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Nice Breakdown of Kelly's Breakdowns

In defense of Kelly, the middle is pretty much always open.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That is kinda the point. NFL offense have decided to exploit the middle. Offenses are all about manipulating defenses to make big plays down the middle rather than down sidelines. Gotta figure out some plan. Thought that was what the off-season was all about for the Steelers.

Seems to not have come together yet.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Steelers have problems with the middle, Short crossing routes and backs out of the backfield. Problem was still there Monday. At this point, I tend to think that the scheme/coaches just aren’t putting the players where they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers have problems with the middle, Short crossing routes and backs out of the backfield. Problem was still there Monday. At this point, I tend to think that the scheme/coaches just aren’t putting the players where they need to be.
    I think the short crossing routes can be cleaned up quickly. The ILBs need to figure out the pick plays and we have enough speed now to limit those once that communication breakdown is fixed. Back out of the backfield is an issue, but if we can fix the other 2 we can deal with those. The deep middle routes is the issue, but if we can figure out our lack of pass rush we could fix that by default. As a former safety in HS, not letting ppl get behind you was pretty much rule #1. We “tackle the catch” well, our safeties should donthat better than anyone.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Since Kelly pretty much showed he's only backup-worthy, any word on Sean Davis' ankle? Will he go on Sunday?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Has been for years.
    Hoping Bush picks up things fast enough to change it.
    Better safety play would be nice too.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Since Kelly pretty much showed he's only backup-worthy, any word on Sean Davis' ankle? Will he go on Sunday?
    Haven't heard anything concrete. Practice participation will determine his status for Sunday.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As I stated in another thread, the difference between “Player McName” in the preseason and in this first game was staggering.

In the preseason, “Player McName” was flying to the ball and/or in the correct spot on the field. In the opener, “Player McName” seemed to be overthinking things and/or was caught flat-footed.

Kam Kelly is merely one of the (many) players whose play changed.

SUMMATION:
    Keith Butler is ham-stringing his own defense.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As I stated in another thread, the difference between “Player McName” in the preseason and in this first game was staggering.

In the preseason, “Player McName” was flying to the ball and/or in the correct spot on the field. In the opener, “Player McName” seemed to be overthinking things and/or was caught flat-footed.

Kam Kelly is merely one of the (many) players whose play changed.

SUMMATION:
    Keith Butler is ham-stringing his own defense.
    I disagree with your summation. In the preseason there was no scheme, no gameplan. Player McName was just running out there and playing vanilla football. If you can't do that, you shouldn't even be withing 50 miles of an NFL camp. Now that the regular season is starting, you have to actually play big-boy, grown man NFL gameplanned football. Shockingly, McName style guys didn't make the transition well.