Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was there any positives to take from this game?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Was there any positives to take from this game?

Seriously, I want to remain optimistic, but that was the very definition of a shit show.

It seems our WRs are shit outside of Juju. Not enough weapons to make the defense pay for stacking the box to shut down the run game. Fitchner seemed scared early on to challenge the pats secondary and everything was either a 1-3 yard out or the random bomb. Nothing in the intermediate range. Moncrief I guess what his stats said he was, a mediocre 3-4 WR. He looks way too soft to work in the middle and is playing scared. Washington needs to be put in the #2 role cause this guy ain't it.

Keith Butler had his squad unprepared and totally outcoached once again. Tomlin with his famous deer in headlights expression. Well, some things never change, another blowout loss against NE. Crown their asses already, we aren't gonna beat that team now, or ever while belichick and brady are on it. good thing AB couldnt start this game or it mighta been 47-3

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Re: Was there any positives to take from this game?

the boz made a FG other than that nothing

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Every big play involved Kelly, Barron, or Bush. Gotta figure most other teams won’t be as capable as Pats at isolating and exposing those players as they get incorporated into the defense.

Bush went over instead of under on few of those pick routes. That don’t work on Sundays kid.

Kelly looked like a dude who was playing minor league football a year ago.

Barron looked like he wasn’t trusting what he was seeing and was late to react most of the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

1) Boswell Made a Field Goal.
    2) It's Over.

Nothing else. This is a dead team walking. There is no more high talent like Le'Veon Bell or Antonio Brown to cover up for the shortcomings of the Steelers' notoriously poor coaching, Ben aged big time tonight, like he didn't want to be there. The shit was on full display. We know the Patriots are good, but losses like this tell a lot about a team. They didn't try in the first quarter and just gave up.

At this rate, we just may see the first losing season of Mike Tomlin's tenure, which is desperately needed.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

The main positive it ended. Winner father Time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    1) Boswell Made a Field Goal.
    2) It's Over.

Nothing else. This is a dead team walking.
    Lol didn't see your post but agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Serious note if this team comes out like this each week. You are looking at a 4 to 6 game winning season and pathetic.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

That the game ended? and the fact it's just week one, but this game hurts the Steelers if they "somehow" end in a tie with the Patriots record wise. This team can't win up in New England, and both teams know it.

Also, this team always had at least one game like this where they are look completely dead and they go on to recover. This season isn't over.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

No, nothing.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    The main positive it ended. Winner father Time.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol didn't see your post but agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Serious note if this team comes out like this each week. You are looking at a 4 to 6 game winning season and pathetic.
    if the Steelers go 4-6 wins the coaching will be dead man walking. They don’t have ‘locker Room’ distractions to blame this time, I’m assuming the players in general will be next in the blame game

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Tomlin is still the HC, so yeah, nothing.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Tomlin is still the HC, so yeah, nothing.
    You remind me of the guy I met flying to Pittsburgh in 2008 for the 75th anniversary game when the Steelers thumped the Ravens on MNF. The guy looked me in the eyes and told me he still didn't believe Ben R. was a good QB for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    You remind me of the guy I met flying to Pittsburgh in 2008 for the 75th anniversary game when the Steelers thumped the Ravens on MNF. The guy looked me in the eyes and told me he still didn't believe Ben R. was a good QB for the Steelers.
    Did the Steelers win yesterday? How have they been doing lately? The same poorly coached team.

You remind of a guy I met who thought Kordell was a great QB.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I was hoping you’d tell a story about after the loss to the Eagles or something. Give me some shred of hope.

But now I have nothing. This game was an embarrassment. We don’t belong on the same field as Tom Brady or the Patriots.

I had bought into the stupid narrative about the locker room being united, and that meaning anything. It means nothing. Talent trumps all of that. There is only one thing that a locker room needs in order to be united: winning.

The ONLY saving grace from this week is that the Browns lost too. At least the analysts can’t rub it in about being right on that front.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

WRs outside of Switzer are shit.

Switzer and Watt. Only two that showed up to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I was hoping you’d tell a story about after the loss to the Eagles or something. Give me some shred of hope.

But now I have nothing. This game was an embarrassment. We don’t belong on the same field as Tom Brady or the Patriots.

I had bought into the stupid narrative about the locker room being united, and that meaning anything. It means nothing. Talent trumps all of that. There is only one thing that a locker room needs in order to be united: winning.

The ONLY saving grace from this week is that the Browns lost too. At least the analysts can’t rub it in about being right on that front.
    Anyone stop to think about how that team got the talent? If they are such a "great" team why do they need to tamper with other teams players? Why does the NFL turn a blind eye to what they do? Yes we played like shit but the other team sure does get away with a lot of skirting the rules to keep themselves on an un-level playing field and the NFL refuses to do anything about it. To slightly mis-quote Dennis Green The *cheating* bastards are who we thought they were. Their cheating hasn't stopped and the NFL refuses to do a damn thing about it.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Positives: No serious injuries. They didn't give up. They've learned a lesson. Nowhere to go but up.

I guess that's about it.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A few months back, I predicted that the Steelers would lose the opener... and then win the next 18, en route to a Lombardi. As I said back then, the positive is that the Massholes can chant, “Ya didn’t beat us!!!” and Steelers fans can still rip Tomlin for “Not being as good as Belichick.”

SUMMATION:
    Everyone wins!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    A few months back, I predicted that the Steelers would lose the opener... and then win the next 18, en route to a Lombardi. As I said back then, the positive is that the Massholes can chant, “Ya didn’t beat us!!!” and Steelers fans can still rip Tomlin for “Not being as good as Belichick.”

SUMMATION:
    Everyone wins!!!
    It’s not so much Tomlin...his coordinators aren’t good. Not a one of them...we will all see it when they are on Hard Knocks next year...lol.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Pats up big and you still see Belichick and Brady working on the sidelines.
    Belichick has a pencil tucked behind his ear and a red sharpie in hand and he’s analyzing photos and making notes.
    Brady is doing the same.
    You look at our sideline and Ben’s got a towel draped around his neck chatting with an assistant and Coach Cool is wearing his famous deer in the headlights expression.
    No wonder that they have our number.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s not so much Tomlin...his coordinators aren’t good. Not a one of them...we will all see it when they are on Hard Knocks next year...lol.
    Fichtner fell in love with a few plays that worked last year... and stuck with them. Yes, that counter worked in November, but Belichick obviously game-planned for that play. As I said elsewhere, Conner was open on almost every single play.

Again, as I said elsewhere, on the opening defensive series, the Steelers looked intense (and forced a three-&-out). Then, they looked very passive / scared to make a mistake. If the defense played like they did on the opening series, it only gives up around 20ish. Alas...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The only positive is that this could be the beginning of Tomlin's (and his shitty coaching staff) end.

Fichtner fell in love with a few plays that worked last year... and stuck with them. Yes, that counter worked in November, but Belichick obviously game-planned for that play. As I said elsewhere, Conner was open on almost every single play.

Again, as I said elsewhere, on the opening defensive series, the Steelers looked intense (and forced a three-&-out). Then, they looked very passive / scared to make a mistake. If the defense played like they did on the opening series, it only gives up around 20ish. Alas...
    You’re right and if you look at the defenses third series, they played like they did on the first series and then it just went away...

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

To answer the question.......HELL NO!!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You’re right and if you look at the defenses third series, they played like they did on the first series and then it just went away...
    From what I think I saw...the defense got schemed out of the planned "man" coverages they wanted to play. All those pick/rub routes to the RBs forced them more into zone. That went well as long as some combination of Kelly/Barron/Bush read their keys right. But they often did not. Kelly got straight up beat for at least 2 - maybe three touchdowns and a few other big plays. Bush and Barron got eaten alive on play-action with a crossing route behind it. It may be that Sean Davis is better/more important to this defense than any of us thought! Whatever it is, they better figure it out and FAST. Teams don't look to the boundaries for big plays anymore. So Haden and Nelson can be neutralized somewhat by just running WR's down the field. Then teams will just eat this defense alive between the hash-marks until some combination of Bush/Barron/VW/Kelly/Davis/Edmunds start making plays. Not more complicated than that.

As for the pass rush -- they doubled and more on Watt. Wynn looked every bit the 1st round OT pick he was before his injury. For some DUMB reason that I can not understand -- the Steelers refuse to let Hargrave in on the rotation with Tuitt/Heyward/Alualu when they go to their sub-package D-Line. Hargrave might actually be the best pass rusher of those 4. Let the big man eat!

On offense -- well it was just a disaster plan and simple. The running game wasn't even worth mentioning. Glad they came out and tried to establish it though. Helped set up the rest of the offense. Lack of run game got them behind the chains so often that 3rd downs were a joke. Empty set. 5 wide against NE's 7 DB alignment. Very little chance to win that for the offense. If they want their offense to be swing passes to the RB and little quick hitters to Switzer, teams are going to let them have that all day, every day. The offense did nothing with scheme, alignment, or disguise to force the Patriots defense to reset on a single play from what I remember. They ran play action once! Once! Patriots killed Steelers with play-action and that was WHILE the defense was stopping their running attack. The Steelers offense just lined up and said "here it is -- see if you can stop us". Without AB and Bell -- the offense is no longer so good they can simply line up and beat defenses like a drum. They did nothing pre-snap to make the game easier for themselves. Why not split Samuels or Conner out wide in that empty set, let the Pats put all those DBs on the field, and then run that toss play to Juju and Washington's side and see if you can run against the sub-package? Nah! Let's pass into the teeth of it. Stupidest crap I've seen in a long time.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

In terms of bright spots it is a reach to find anything

Ben & Tomlin have started the season with a blowout loss before (35-7 at Baltimore in 2011) and ended up making the playoffs (although that season ended with the Tebow game) - so there is that

Other than that just hope it was another doomed trip to Foxboro in which the players and coaching staff got slammed - if they lose at home Sunday to a Seattle team that was lucky to beat the Bengals then this season could spiral out of control quickly

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Can't think of anything positive about that game but it sure was funny when Finney forgot the snap count.

They doubled Watt and he was still getting some pressure...lol

They doubled Watt and he was still getting some pressure...lol
    And Dupree took full advantage of it. Haha.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    And Dupree took full advantage of it. Haha.
    My god did Wynn(left tackle) make him his bitch.

Unleash Ola please!!!
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Some optimism here...like someone else mentioned...the pick routes killed us early on...then we switched to zone for a possession and forced a punt. Brady was a step ahead of us like usual and that zone defense only worked for that possession. Predictable defense.

Here is the optimism...we have 4 new starters on defense in Barron, Kelly, Nelson, and Bush. You can tell that they didn't know how to communicate, specifically on the pick routes. They should have been switching on those routes. You can't play man and not communicate. I believe it will get better with time, but they were definitely not prepared and it was a coaching issue.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Worth pointing out: The coordinators and position coaches have all changed at least once since Tomlin got here. There's only one constant. I don't think you can blame the same repetitive problems on bad assistants. But even if you can - by now, that just means Tomlin has a problem hiring assistants.
    See you Space Cowboy ...