Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was there any positives to take from this game?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Was there any positives to take from this game?

The only positive for me is that I haven't changed my expectation for the season at all. I still expect 10-11 wins. One terrible game out of the gate against the best team in football on the road isn't going to do that. That's likely the worst they will play all year. The sky has NOT fallen yet. I say they win Sunday against the Hawks.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I take the positives that we got to see some players and evaluate:

-Mark Barron is a 4.6 40 guy and not the coverage LB we hoped he was.
    -Kam Kelly showed why Mike Hilton or Cam Sutton should be playing FS
    -Steve Nelson didnt seem tested at all, so maybe he locked down his side of field
    - Devin Bush looked fast, but confused at times and we still have hope for great improvement when the game slows down for him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Was there any positives to take from this game?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Worth pointing out: The coordinators and position coaches have all changed at least once since Tomlin got here. There's only one constant. I don't think you can blame the same repetitive problems on bad assistants. But even if you can - by now, that just means Tomlin has a problem hiring assistants.
    You can when they keep coming from within...assistants of assistants is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You can when they keep coming from within...assistants of assistants is a recipe for disaster.
    At this point, the people coming from within have all been Tomlin's guys for 10+ years, so what does that say?

Unless Tomlin has absolutely zero input in the hiring process, and is just taking whoever Colbert hands him (which I find highly unlikely), then this is his mess. If not, then it's Colbert's mess, and he shouldn't be let off the hook.

Bottom line, somebody fuckin' sucks at this.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Well lookie here.........

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Too bad this guy's career is going to be wasted playing for shit for brains Butler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

He should have been covering Josh Gordon and not Vince Williams then.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Too bad this guy's career is going to be wasted playing for shit for brains Butler
    I'm curious as to where the tackles took place. Are they Foote tackles?
    Hater = Realist

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

How long is Tomlin's extension? I don't think anybody on the current roster can read.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/10860-Chuck_Noll

https://www.azquotes.com/author/5868-Joe_Greene
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    He should have been covering Josh Gordon and not Vince Williams then.
    He couldn’t cover Rex Burkhead...let alone Josh Gordon...lol

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

So none of you actually want to hear anything positive. You just want to bitch.

One day the Steelers will get new coaches. And you'll bitch about it.

One day Ben will retire and we have a new QB. And you'll bitch about it.

To be honest...there really wasn’t anything positive in my opinion other than Ryan Switzer being Ryan Switzer and TJ Watt being dominating in the pass rush...but the defense couldn’t capitalize on him being double teamed.

I mean I guess you could say Chris Boswell is hitting 100% right now...so if that’s something to build off of...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Taperiots didn’t even attempt a pass at Steven Nelson. Is he that good? I doubt it... but, it is indeed a sign that he’s better than what we’ve had out there in recent years.

That said, the obvious plan was to split the RBs out and take advantage of the ILBs. So, maybe Tom Brady didn’t bother looking at Nelson’s man. Yep, probably so. Still, for Nelson’s man to not be targeted at all can be a positive (if it is indeed scenario 1).

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

The only positive for me is we've seen this storyline before:

Ben plays sparingly in the preseason and comes out in Week 1 looking rusty, old and tired. Then he steps on the gas and looks like a pro-bowler by Week 2 or 3.

Tomlin 'does what he does' and eases into the season with a lame, predictable, uninspired game plan and takes it in the shorts. This seemingly lights a fire under his and the coordinators' sleeping asses and he actually gets the team ready to look NFL-caliber by again, Week 2 or 3. It seems to be the same script year over year. Whether it's the Ravens embarrassing us in prime time, or the Cheatriots doing for the 437th time in Foxborough, Tomlin never seems to make any adjustments and it becomes like Groundhog Day.

We've got the Seahawks coming up at home who just got done making the Bengals look relevant, and the the Niners who are currently a rudderless JV team. A couple of thumpings and this game will be firmly in the rear view mirror.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Watt is getting better, unfortunately Dupree couldnt take advantage of it and beat a rookie tackle to get any pressure on Brady

Washington caught a pass, unfortunately we kept feeding it to Moncrief across the middle where he dropped 90% of his targets. Why can’t we use Washington that way? He is big and would be a beast across the middle and difficult for ILBs to cover. You know, what pretty much EVERY other team in the NFL does, create mismatches with big fast WRs across the middle against ILBs who can’t cover them?

We got this game out of the way, don’t have to see them again this reg season, in a few games this one will be forgotten and over.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The more I read about this game the more I understand that as Tomlin said, this team (coaches and players) were not ready. Seems like a testing the waters preseason game - which is ridiculous, the team wasn’t prepared for prime time against the patriots? - that’s a fireable offense in most professions.

But as a positive it means they haven’t played their best football yet - so there’s that at least
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 09-10-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Watt is getting better, unfortunately Dupree couldnt take advantage of it and beat a rookie tackle to get any pressure on Brady

Washington caught a pass, unfortunately we kept feeding it to Moncrief across the middle where he dropped 90% of his targets. Why can’t we use Washington that way? He is big and would be a beast across the middle and difficult for ILBs to cover. You know, what pretty much EVERY other team in the NFL does, create mismatches with big fast WRs across the middle against ILBs who can’t cover them?

We got this game out of the way, don’t have to see them again this reg season, in a few games this one will be forgotten and over.
    Well to do that they would need to use pre-snap motion, play-action, and like half a disguise. All things Ben hasn't done in like 10 years.

WOuld be really nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post

Washington has build up speed, more than quick speed off the line. He worked at the slot in Senior Bowl and I don't think he has any issue with it. Honestly, I think its gonna take Ben losing confidence in Moncrief in order for him to look elsewhere.

All thru training camp, OTA, preseason ….we heard Ben say great things about Moncrief and it seemed like he was more a fan of what he could be instead of Washington. Washington got more reps with Dobbs and Rudolph than Ben and I think Ben's favorite targets are JuJu, Switzer and Moncrief. If he sees that Moncrief cant hang onto a football, then its gonna move to McDonald and/or Washington.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If he sees that Moncrief cant hang onto a football, then its gonna move to McDonald and/or Washington.
    Is McDonald still even on the team?? So much for needing another TE. They don’t use the one they have.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

TJ Watt was the defensive signal caller. Thoughts?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    TJ Watt was the defensive signal caller. Thoughts?
    Was that just for this game since Bush is a rookie? Isn't that job eventually going to Bush?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Was that just for this game since Bush is a rookie? Isn't that job eventually going to Bush?
    Yes

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

It only counts as one loss?

The positive is that we beat them last year and it made zero difference on the season. Ultimately, losing to them will likely have the same result. Move on.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The positive is that we beat them last year and it made zero difference on the season. Ultimately, losing to them will likely have the same result. Move on.

Agreed.

It's only one loss. Panic should only start if they start stacking losses.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I don’t see how blasting your team after a pitiful performance is panicking.
    Yeah, it was only one loss but I cannot see any legitimate positive sign to take from this game.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I don’t see how blasting your team after a pitiful performance is panicking.
    Yeah, it was only one loss but I cannot see any legitimate positive sign to take from this game.
    After a 33-3 thrashing, I think blasting the team's performance is just 'pointing out the obvious'

If it were a 33-27 or 7-3 loss, or even a 33-17 loss, heck, you can at least say something went right. but 33-3 = nothing went right. No offense, no defense, they were beat in every phase of the game.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Agreed.

It's only one loss. Panic should only start if they start stacking losses.
    Cool Shades, is that you?

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

After a 33-3 thrashing, I think blasting the team's performance is just 'pointing out the obvious'

If it were a 33-27 or 7-3 loss, or even a 33-17 loss, heck, you can at least say something went right. but 33-3 = nothing went right. No offense, no defense, they were beat in every phase of the game.
    Bull crap. We made a field goal... Lol

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Bull crap. We made a field goal... Lol
    There we have it. Game Ball: Boswell, he didn't miss