Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2020 Draft Prospects Thread

The most glaring positions that need to be tracked for prospects are(in no particular order):

Safety- Davis in his contract year. Edmonds, Kelly, and Dangerfield round out this group. (As of week 1 2019)

TE- McDonald and a bunch of guys that need to be upgraded. (As of week 1 2019)

OLB- Dupree and Chickillo are not expected back for 2020. Watt, Ola, and Skipper(R) are all that remains.

OL- Aging OL always in need of fresh recruits to keep the OL strong.

Post some of your favorite 2019 college football players that could/should be on the Steelers draft prospect radar. All positions.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

The player for whom I’d trade a bunch of picks to acquire is:

Grant Delpit, S, LSU

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The player for whom I’d trade a bunch of picks to acquire is:

Grant Delpit, S, LSU
    This didn’t age well.

Did he even play against ‘Bama? If he did, I didn’t notice. I’m so glad that we got Minkah instead.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This didn’t age well.

Did he even play against ‘Bama? If he did, I didn’t notice. I’m so glad that we got Minkah instead.
    I agree we can move Safety down the board now. With Minkah and Terrell starting the Safety roles are pretty much set for the foreseeable future. Not sure what happens with Davis after this season but with Hilton and Sutton we have a solid nickel/dime grouping. Still, if THAT guy drops...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Let's suppose we get that 3rd round comp pick

We'd have

2nd round ( a high round two pick Miami's )
    A 3rd round comp pick ( at the end of round three, say pick #98-102 )
    4th round
    5th round
    6th round
    7th round

The steelers may end up with just 1 pick in the top 100.

Round two will be the key. You can get a good NFL Back, maybe one of the top 2-3 RB's on the board. Conner, I love the guy and his story, but he's too injury prone to be counted upon and doesn't look like the same player. Round two could be sent on a running back. There is usually good value at ILB, WR, and DT/NT in round two as well.

And I'd give it all up all of our picks for Joe Burrow at QB. That guy is going to be special. Then spend the rest of the money we would have spent in the draft on free agency to fill holes. Of course I think what we have is not enough to trade for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Let's suppose we get that 3rd round comp pick

We'd have

2nd round ( a high round two pick Miami's )
    A 3rd round comp pick ( at the end of round three, say pick #98-102 )
    4th round
    5th round
    6th round
    7th round

The steelers may end up with just 1 pick in the top 100.

Round two will be the key. You can get a good NFL Back, maybe one of the top 2-3 RB's on the board. Conner, I love the guy and his story, but he's too injury prone to be counted upon and doesn't look like the same player. Round two could be sent on a running back. There is usually good value at ILB, WR, and DT/NT in round two as well.

And I'd give it all up all of our picks for Joe Burrow at QB. That guy is going to be special. Then spend the rest of the money we would have spent in the draft on free agency to fill holes. Of course I think what we have is not enough to trade for him!
    If you are looking at a RB in round 2 in 2020 it will probably have to be Bama's Najee Harris. He is the only one of the top10 RBs that fits the Steelers draft mold. I think we are happy at RB enough with Conner, Samuels, Snell, and Edmunds that this will not be a position of importance or need with the round 2 pick. Plus I think the early round 2 pick gets used to move back into the 1st round.

If this early rd 2/rd 1 pick is indeed used on an offensive weapon(Michael Pittman Jr) I would think it is most likely going to be one of the 3 Bama WRs Jeudy, Ruggs, or Smith. I could see an all out coaches trip to Tuscaloosa again this offseason for the Alabama pro-day.

This is not as bad a year for QBs as some have proclaimed either.(I really like this QB class) There are actually many pro-style college QBs available in this draft that could fall all the way into the 3rd/4th round. I honestly believe the Steelers count on Ben for the next 2-3 years and have Rudolph, Hodges, and Lynch sitting there as quality backups. Lynch is the only one with a 5th year option. Everyone should go look at some tape on Jordan Love at Utah State.

I think I lean more at the early picks being spent on inside OL prospects this draft. Why else was it so valuable to spend the 1st round pick on a (great) trade in a season with no Ben available? OL prospects will drop to the 2nd round outside of the top 3 LTs most likely. Wisconsin's Tyler Biadasz is this year's Quentin Nelson. And he could fall to round 2 easily.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If you are looking at a RB in round 2 in 2020 it will probably have to be Bama's Najee Harris. He is the only one of the top10 RBs that fits the Steelers draft mold. I think we are happy at RB enough with Conner, Samuels, Snell, and Edmunds that this will not be a position of importance or need with the round 2 pick. Plus I think the early round 2 pick gets used to move back into the 1st round.

If this early rd 2/rd 1 pick is indeed used on an offensive weapon(Michael Pittman Jr) I would think it is most likely going to be one of the 3 Bama WRs Jeudy, Ruggs, or Smith. I could see an all out coaches trip to Tuscaloosa again this offseason for the Alabama pro-day.

This is not as bad a year for QBs as some have proclaimed either.(I really like this QB class) There are actually many pro-style college QBs available in this draft that could fall all the way into the 3rd/4th round. I honestly believe the Steelers count on Ben for the next 2-3 years and have Rudolph, Hodges, and Lynch sitting there as quality backups. Lynch is the only one with a 5th year option. Everyone should go look at some tape on Jordan Love at Utah State.

I think I lean more at the early picks being spent on inside OL prospects this draft. Why else was it so valuable to spend the 1st round pick on a (great) trade in a season with no Ben available? OL prospects will drop to the 2nd round outside of the top 3 LTs most likely. Wisconsin's Tyler Biadasz is this year's Quentin Nelson. And he could fall to round 2 easily.
    Interior OL and DL would be a great use of draft picks in 2020. Both need restocked.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Interior OL and DL would be a great use of draft picks in 2020. Both need restocked.
    QFT. In fact, with defense being so solid, I would be fine double-dipping on the OL. OL is deep and will upgrade an entire offense which has been relatively neglected for years.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

How can the Steelers be Happy with Conner? He's dinged up or hurt, and fumbles. Conner, even when healthy has had a below par season. Samuels is a good pass catching back, not but an every down back. Snell, I think isn't starting material. We need a dynamic back with power and speed who catch the ball. A high 2nd round pick can get that type of player.

There is no more " Steeler back " the NFL has changed. The best " Steeler back " we have in the eyes of what Fans call Steelers backs is Snell.

How can the Steelers be Happy with Conner? He's dinged up or hurt, and fumbles. Conner, even when healthy has had a below par season. Samuels is a good pass catching back, not but an every down back. Snell, I think isn't starting material. We need a dynamic back with power and speed who catch the ball. A high 2nd round pick can get that type of player.

There is no more " Steeler back " the NFL has changed. The best " Steeler back " we have in the eyes of what Fans call Steelers backs is Snell.
    I think I said the Steelers are happy ENOUGH with the RB stable to drop the position below 1st thru 3rd round priority. Of course if the right guy falls in their lap they have to consider it. But the Steelers definitely have a ‘type’. The selections of Rainey and Archer style RBs just don’t work within the scheme it seems. Snell fits the Steeler mold. The only guy(today) that is considered a 1st two days RB in the Steelers mold is Harris from Alabama. I’ll stick by that assessment until the Steelers FO changes that pattern. Currently all of the Steeler RBs are in that 6’-6’2” @ 220-235lbs range. They have drafted smaller backs but I would be a bit shocked if they drafted a small RB early in the 2020 draft.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The draft now has become less exciting. Now it's down to which WR will be picked in round 2, maybe which project they take with their round 3 comp pick and who are the practice squad guys they take with the rest

The Steelers rarely pick early enough to get a top rated edge or monster DL prospect anyway. Round 2 still has high quality OL and those elusive TEs.

Justin Houston was a R2 pick.
    Yannick Ngakoue was a R3 pick.
    Danielle Hunter was a R3 pick.
    Carl Lawson* was a R3 pick.

*He’s habitually injures; so, I’m not sure he’s the best example.

SUMMATION:
    An edge rusher can still be acquired in next year’s draft.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Only thing hurts losing a first round pick is the discussions of the pro day visits and circling the likely prospects to be used day one.

For an edge rusher to watch for day 2, or rounds 2-3 is Kenny Willekes from Michigan State. Productive player, already with 17 totals sacks in his career. Last season he had 20.5 tackles for loss. He's a RS senior.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6. Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

I watched the Washington-Oregon game this weekend. It was an OL showcase game. Washington's C Nick Harris, and Oregon's C Jake Hanson and LG Shane Lemieux are 3 players worth looking at for OL prospects. I have not had the chance to see Wisconsin and their C Tyler Biadasz play. Biadasz is the top rated IOL by pretty much every draft site so he will probably be gone by round 2. But still worth keeping an eye on.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm interested in the WR prospects and TE prospects that will be available in the 2nd round, pass catcher is easily the weakest point. I'd also strongly consider O-line, there has been CLEAR regression without Munchak and with what is clearly a downgrade in o-line coaching they can no longer get away with elevating lesser talent at o-line, they need better prospects

I’m looking at pass-rushers.

Dupree could be gone and/or a one-year wonder. Chickillo is replaceable. Olaqwerty is a good story, but he’s shown nothing... and, he’s ended up on IR two years in a row.

Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    Small school player who can flat-out create havoc. He played well against Clemson.

Patrick Jones, OLB, Pitt
    Local kid. Good motor. Good pass-rusher. He’ll at least get a “local” visit before the draft.

I’m looking at pass-rushers.

Dupree could be gone and/or a one-year wonder. Chickillo is replaceable. Olaqwerty is a good story, but he’s shown nothing... and, he’s ended up on IR two years in a row.

Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    Small school player who can flat-out create havoc. He played well against Clemson.

Patrick Jones, OLB, Pitt
    Local kid. Good motor. Good pass-rusher. He’ll at least get a “local” visit before the draft.
    After a fast start, opponents had stifled Highsmith. The DC changed things up, and Highsmith had 4.5 sacks today... ending the season with 14.

I’d give him a serious look in R3 (and, in R2 if we don’t go for a QB).

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Max Borghi , check this kid out he is just what the Dr ordered

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Yep good eye teegre. I've had Highsmith in my 2020 draft notes after hearing about him when Charlotte played Clemson.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6. Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

It's not quite time to start thinking draft. Our needs to me are NT, RB, TE, OL, and QB.

1st round- Fitzpatrick, an all pro play making type of safety. What a trade! Reminds me a bit of Ed Reed.

2nd round - RB Travis Etienne. A speedy back, check that he's a lot like Willie Parker, except tacklers bounce off him and he has better hands to catch it. Great cutting ability and vision. Can't rely on Conner, and no way does he get a long term deal with his durability issues. Mock Drafts don't rate him Etienne high yet, they will

3rd round projected
    comp pick ( Pick 97-100 overall ) Here's a spot where we can go TE, NT, or OL and get value. BPA at this spot. The top 6-8 QB's will already be gone by this point.
    4th round - The position that was not taken in round 3.
    5th round The position that was not taken in round 3, and 4
    5th round - I would not rule out a punter at this spot if Berry keeps screwing up. We could use another safety
    6th round - Developmental Edge rusher

7th round - Developmental OL

Will put names to the rounds once the season ends.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

It's not quite time to start thinking draft. Our needs to me are NT, RB, TE, OL, and QB.

1st round- Fitzpatrick, an all pro play making type of safety. What a trade! Reminds me a bit of Ed Reed.

2nd round - RB Travis Etienne. A speedy back, check that he's a lot like Willie Parker, except tacklers bounce off him and he has better hands to catch it. Great cutting ability and vision. Can't rely on Conner, and no way does he get a long term deal with his durability issues. Mock Drafts don't rate him Etienne high yet, they will

3rd round projected
    comp pick ( Pick 97-100 overall ) Here's a spot where we can go TE, NT, or OL and get value. BPA at this spot. The top 6-8 QB's will already be gone by this point.
    5th round - I would not rule out a punter at this spot if Berry keeps screwing up. We could use another safety

I would be pumped if Etienne available when Steelers pick. Conner is always going to be hurt, Snell is probably not going to amount to anything and Samuels is a third down back. Conner would be a great backup. Don't think Fromm will be around either but he could pan out to be a quality starter. Tee Higgins would be another great choice. Don't know much about TE or O line class but they obviously need to be addressed.

3rd round projected

Hmm. We don't have round 5 picks. Both picks were traded away. Our JAX pick was traded to Seattle and our own pick was traded to Miami. We do, however, have two 4th round picks. Personally, if there's a RB dropping into the second round that we really like, I wouldn't mind seeing us bundle the two 4th round picks with the second and go up to get him.

Offense only: MY top 5 dependant upon how the steelers use the position and how "I" deem the quality of the player in that regard.

RB: Sort of in order of favorite to least.
    1. J.K. Dobbins, OSU, I see qualities of Emmitt Smith and Zeke Elliott.
    2. Patrick Taylor Jr, Memphis, reminds me of Eddie George and Adrian Peterson style RB. Have to look at his 2018 tape/2019 injured for most of season.
    3. Najee Harris, Bama, Hard running style of the Bus.
    4. Jonathon Taylor, Wisc, Only reason he is not higher is college mileage.
    5. Zack Moss, Utah, Another bruising back with high college mileage.

OL:Some badass prospects IMO
    1. Tyker Biadasz, Wisc, OC/OG Beast IOL of this draft hands down.
    2. Ben Bredesen, Mich, OG Attitude means so much on the OL
    3. Lloyd Cushenberry, LSU, Athletic freak in a OG body.
    4. Tristen Wirfs, Iowa, RT/RG Capable of starting now at RT and backing up at RG which is where he projects.
    5. Jedrick Willis, Bama, RT/RG A poor man's Tristen Wirfs.

WR:Consistency and attitude are needed here.
    1. Jalen Reager, TCU, Speed "X" receiver.
    2. Henry Ruggs, Bama, A slot receiver that give the option to move JuJu to "X" because of his dynamic ability.
    3. Tyler Johnson, Minnesota, Route Runner!!! Think bigger AB without the DIVA-TUDE.
    4. Tee Higgins, Clemson, Big "Z" receiver in the Bryant mold. Hopefully smarter.
    5. Michael Pittman, USC, Another big "Z" guy. Not a breakaway speed guy but a great possession option.

TE:I like the McDonald/Vannett tandem but where do we go from there?
    1. Jacob Breeland, Oregon, Can catch and block at high levels. Injury issues?
    2. Joey Magnifico, Memphis, Elite blocker with adequate route running and good pass catching skills.
    3. Albert Okwuegbunam, Mizzou, Limited blocker but great pass catching TE.
    4. Colby Parkinson, Stanford, 6'7" elite pass catching threat with adequate blocking skills.
    5. Hunter Bryant, Wash, More of a WR type. Undersized for a NFL TE, excellent route runner and pass catcher.

What I forgot to take into consideration when putting 5 to each list was who were seniors and sure prospects and who were underclassmen and may return to college. Going to need to take a longer look at this before I continue.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 01-01-2020 at 07:23 PM.

SD is already starting to push out draft profiles.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Lance ZierleinVerified account
    @LanceZierlein
    Follow Follow
    @LanceZierlein

More

Favorite tape I've seen so far for under the radar 2020 NFL Draft prospects:

Javon Leake, RB, Maryland
    Amik Robertson, CB, La Tech
    Cesar Ruiz, OC, Michigan

For those wanting to draft an early round QB and upgrade the backup position and possibly get Ben's eventual successor, why NOT Jalen Hurts?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb.../jalen-hurts-1.

Highlights of his career at Bama.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57a8iaK0diA

Highlights at OK.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yxJFTZNFIY

His projection from The draft Network
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/j...rts/QPdYkyDT0T

Big arm(65% accuracy with an average per attempt of 9.7yards. 80TDs), mobile(3274 rushing yards with 43 TDs), best athlete on the field everywhere he's been. I would have zero issue with Jalen Hurts being the Steelers' selection at pick #49. He has shown marked improvement each college season meaning I don't believe we have seen his best yet. 80 passing TDs, 43 rushing TDs, 1 receiving TD for his college career. I see a very good college QB who is still improving.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

For those wanting to draft an early round QB and upgrade the backup position and possibly get Ben's eventual successor, why NOT Jalen Hurts?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb.../jalen-hurts-1.

Highlights of his career at Bama.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57a8iaK0diA

Highlights at OK.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yxJFTZNFIY

His projection from The draft Network
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/j...rts/QPdYkyDT0T

Big arm(65% accuracy with an average per attempt of 9.7yards. 80TDs), mobile(3274 rushing yards with 43 TDs), best athlete on the field everywhere he's been. I would have zero issue with Jalen Hurts being the Steelers' selection at pick #49. He has shown marked improvement each college season meaning I don't believe we have seen his best yet. 80 passing TDs, 43 rushing TDs, 1 receiving TD for his college career. I see a very good college QB who is still improving.
    Why spend #49 pick when most are projecting him as a 3rd or 4th round pick. Trade back maybe, but I would be disappointed at #49.

Essentially he reminds many of Dak Prescott, but isn't as accomplished of a passer as Prescott was after 4 years of college football. I'm just not enthused about using a 2nd round pick on a poor man's Dak Prescott that may never be more than an NFL backup.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Why spend #49 pick when most are projecting him as a 3rd or 4th round pick. Trade back maybe, but I would be disappointed at #49.

Essentially he reminds many of Dak Prescott, but isn't as accomplished of a passer as Prescott was after 4 years of college football. I'm just not enthused about using a 2nd round pick on a poor man's Dak Prescott that may never be more than an NFL backup.

IF Dak is your comparison, why only a backup role? Is that how you see Dak's future in this league?