Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

I've been warming up to Jonathan Taylor after being against taking a RB early. Someone tell me to stop.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6. Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I've been warming up to Jonathan Taylor after being against taking a RB early. Someone tell me to stop.
    Stop

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Gibson is a difficult eval. He only had 34 career carries in college, so his resume of running between the tackles like he would have to in the NFL is rather limited. He looks the part as an athlete but very challenging to tell if he can be an NFL RB or if he is a slot receiver or 3rd down RB.
    Correct. He was a RB in highschool but mainly played slot WR in college. But he was moved around so much that you really can't call him a Slot WR either. I see him as a weapon you can line up anywhere you want and watch the defense adjust to make sure he's covered. He's fast enough and big enough to be considered more of a hybrid RB than a WR.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Taylor will be a star in the NFL. Quick and tough between the tackles, legit 4.4 speed to break the big runs, more than half of his yardage comes from after first contact and he is rather underrated as a receiver.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Correct. He was a RB in highschool but mainly played slot WR in college. But he was moved around so much that you really can't call him a Slot WR either. I see him as a weapon you can line up anywhere you want and watch the defense adjust to make sure he's covered. He's fast enough and big enough to be considered more of a hybrid RB than a WR.
    So essentially Jaylen Samuels, but with 4.4 speed. Correct?

The only thing I am saying is that Samuels had 182 rushing attempts in college, while Gibson only had 34. Not a lot to go on and see if he can run between the tackles IMO. I watched some Senior Bowl practices of him, but they were not full go tackling. Even Charles Davis was verbally stating that he wants to see Gibson carry the football as much as he can to see if he is a RB or a receiver.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

So essentially Jaylen Samuels, but with 4.4 speed. Correct?

The only thing I am saying is that Samuels had 182 rushing attempts in college, while Gibson only had 34. Not a lot to go on and see if he can run between the tackles IMO. I watched some Senior Bowl practices of him, but they were not full go tackling. Even Charles Davis was verbally stating that he wants to see Gibson carry the football as much as he can to see if he is a RB or a receiver.
    I put him more as a Lev Bell with speed. If he can pass protect like Bell is unknown of course, but going with what we DO know, he's definitely better than a Jaylen Samuels with 4.4 speed.(4.39 btw)

I put him more as a Lev Bell with speed. If he can pass protect like Bell is unknown of course, but going with what we DO know, he's definitely better than a Jaylen Samuels with 4.4 speed.(4.39 btw)
    What from his career makes him comparable to Lev Bell? Doesn't show vision to find the holes on inside runs or appear to be good at setting up his blocks with his O linemen like Bell. Sounds like a RB that mostly ran stretch and was a 1 cut runner.

Cam Akers had 36 carries against Louisiana Monroe this year. Gibson had 34 carries his entire college career. I don't understand how one can make a Leveon Bell comparison from such a small amount of handoffs.

What from his career makes him comparable to Lev Bell? Doesn't show vision to find the holes on inside runs or appear to be good at setting up his blocks with his O linemen like Bell. Sounds like a RB that mostly ran stretch and was a 1 cut runner.

Cam Akers had 36 carries against Louisiana Monroe this year. Gibson had 34 carries his entire college career. I don't understand how one can make a Leveon Bell comparison from such a small amount of handoffs.
    By watching the 2 play football. You already compared him to Jaylon Samuels so I said I see him more as Lev Bell. In 34 carries how do you know how much patience he shows as a runner? Reading what others say? And exactly how would those people know how to rank him as a runner? With Gibson it's like you know nothing about him but have an inferior opinion anyway. I watched the guy play 3 games live just this past season. I watched what Bell could do with the offense for years. It's an opinion. My observation. What have you seen that says he doesn't compare to ANYONE else? You see a faster more athletic Samuels, I say THAT compares to Bell. How about a mix of those 2 and say Joe Mixon before Cincy got ahold on him? A big target, a fast target, can line up in the backfield, in the slot, outside, wherever there's a mismatch, just like Bell and Samuels. All 3 are about the same size, one is faster and more explosive.

Some Senior Bowl comments:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...run/ar-BBZkdno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kni81Bi9ngg

https://247sports.com/college/memphi...son-142875816/

By watching the 2 play football. You already compared him to Jaylon Samuels so I said I see him more as Lev Bell. In 34 carries how do you know how much patience he shows as a runner? Reading what others say? And exactly how would those people know how to rank him as a runner? With Gibson it's like you know nothing about him but have an inferior opinion anyway. I watched the guy play 3 games live just this past season. I watched what Bell could do with the offense for years. It's an opinion. My observation. What have you seen that says he doesn't compare to ANYONE else? You see a faster more athletic Samuels, I say THAT compares to Bell. How about a mix of those 2 and say Joe Mixon before Cincy got ahold on him? A big target, a fast target, can line up in the backfield, in the slot, outside, wherever there's a mismatch, just like Bell and Samuels. All 3 are about the same size, one is faster and more explosive.

Some Senior Bowl comments:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...run/ar-BBZkdno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kni81Bi9ngg

https://247sports.com/college/memphi...son-142875816/
    Lots of Gibson on youtube vs Cincy, SMU, Navy to see what he is.

-As a RB its tough, but he just got read option handoffs from pistol formation and when he got to the off-tackle edge he looked indecisive of where to go and arrived high and gained little to no yardage.

-As a receiver in the slot he has good hands and Memphis game was bubble screens or running him in the seam. He looks as if he can run a 7,8,9 in the route tree and use the 4.39 track speed he has. When asked to run outs, ins, hook/curl he looks stiff and doesn't sink his hips or break down to get in and out of his breaks. He rounds off those routes, which isn't good.
    -after the catch there is no wiggle or lateral moves to shake the defender, he is just speed and strength

I don't think he is a RB. He runs tall like a 220lb Christian Okoye and just gets tackled by the LB or D lineman in the gap. His best bet is getting to the edge, but that doesn't work out well in the NFL, as the defenders are all on scholarship too. IMO, his best bet is to straight convert to a receiver and be a threat from the seam, because on the outside he is a 1 trick pony of just getting deep until he learns how to run the entire route tree. Reminds me a bit of Arnaz Battle.

Lots of Gibson on youtube vs Cincy, SMU, Navy to see what he is.

-As a RB its tough, but he just got read option handoffs from pistol formation and when he got to the off-tackle edge he looked indecisive of where to go and arrived high and gained little to no yardage.

-As a receiver in the slot he has good hands and Memphis game was bubble screens or running him in the seam. He looks as if he can run a 7,8,9 in the route tree and use the 4.39 track speed he has. When asked to run outs, ins, hook/curl he looks stiff and doesn't sink his hips or break down to get in and out of his breaks. He rounds off those routes, which isn't good.
    -after the catch there is no wiggle or lateral moves to shake the defender, he is just speed and strength

I don't think he is a RB. He runs tall like a 220lb Christian Okoye and just gets tackled by the LB or D lineman in the gap. His best bet is getting to the edge, but that doesn't work out well in the NFL, as the defenders are all on scholarship too. IMO, his best bet is to straight convert to a receiver and be a threat from the seam, because on the outside he is a 1 trick pony of just getting deep until he learns how to run the entire route tree. Reminds me a bit of Arnaz Battle.
    Amazing what you can learn from such limited look that you don't allow anyone else to form opinions on. "When he gets to the edge he looks indecisive", OR shows patience? He wasn't running behind a Wisconsin or OSU OL out there. He does run high, reminds me of Bell or maybe Eddie George's style. That is what they say about AP too. He has very good hands as a WR. He played mostly from the slot, I put that in a previous post when I brought him up. He didn't run many, if any hook/curl routes. Norvell used Gibson's speed and size to get mismatches in the middle and on the outside. That was the system he played in. Ceiling is all-pro, floor is Jaylen Samuels.

This offense already has Diontae Johnson who is the route runner/technician but the knock on him is size, play strength, and questions about drops. The knock(maybe the only knock) on JuJu has been rounding off routes and just doesn't have separation speed. James Washington is supposed to be the WR that takes the top off the defense but his catch radius and game speed aren't that elite and he hasn't become that guy yet. Even the great AB was considered small, not strong enough for contested catches, and was not a great route runner initially. All these guys have warts and things to work on. But in the team paradigm they were the #1 red zone offense in 2018.
    You disagreed with me about my concern with Jonathan Taylor's 18 fumbles being a red flag, saying that can be coached and fixed. But you want Gibson to be polished and a seasoned pro day 1? Gibson is not listed as a RB for the draft, he is listed as a WR. He is also able to line up in the backfield and played RB in highschool and JUCO. But he switched to WR at Memphis. Memphis also had Darrell Henderson(Rams), Patrick Taylor Jr(1012yds on 178 carries with 15TDs in 2018) , and Kenneth Gainwell(1459yds on 235 carries with 13 TDs) playing RB so Gibson was used as a more flexible weapon. I don't see that as a knock but a plus and routes can be coached. Hard to analyze due to limited reps? I agree on that. But he was an ALPHA at the Senior Bowl at the RB position. I see a player that checks a lot of boxes for what the Steelers' offense is missing. The return of 'suddenness and glide'.

The one thing that I hesitate on is can he be a playmaker in 2020. Will he find playing time other than in the return game. I don't know that. But that is also my hesitation about any RB or WR from this draft. Where do they fit in the current offense? The Steelers usually keep 3 RBs and a FB, and 6 WRs. Right now there is Conner, Snell, Samuels, Edmunds, Whyte, AND Watt vying for those 4 spots. And I think we already know Conner, Snell, and Watt are locks at this time. In the WR room you have Johnson, JuJu, Wash, and a bunch of question marks. I think Gibson's natural size, speed, and what he has shown on the field is enough. The Steelers will draft a WR in this draft so why not someone that can be moved around to create mismatches?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I find that rather surprising, but Zeirline is connected and credible.

Gibson looked like the 4th best RB at the Senior Bowl. Joshua Kelly, Lamichael Perine and Darius Anderson looked more like RB's. Better vision to see holes, cut ability, footwork between the tackles and patience in setting up their blocks. Gibson hits the hole if there is one and gets to next level, if there isn't a hole he sees, he just runs into contact and stops moving his feet. Behind the same O line on the same drive, Perine looked like the better RB and always finished going forward.

Charles Davis made a Tony Pollard reference to Gibson, Bucky Brooks said he looked like a situational 3rd down RB. Joshua Kelley looked like a complete RB and I would take him in the 3rd or 4th if you wanted a RB