Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers promote Holton, release Skipper

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Steelers promote Holton, release Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Where do you see that? I only see one poster who says he doesn't want him.
    I agree, I don't see anybody that thinks he is trash, but I honestly see him as a developmental OLB that really should not command much playing time. Skipper should be the #5 or 6 OLB, but the Steelers are kind of thin in depth. He likely could very well pass thru waivers and end up on a practice squad.

His hand use in pass rush is good, but quickness is average and is stiff in his drops in zone coverage.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Waiter: We are all out of braised endive.

Steelers fans: Damnit!!! I knew that we should have gotten here sooner. They are out of the one dish that I really wanted.

Waiter: Hold on, sir. We just so happen to have one more serving of braised endive.

Steelers fans: Oh... uh... wait!!! Why the fuck would I want some hot, moist lettuce!?!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Waiter: We are all out of braised endive.

Steelers fans: Damnit!!! I knew that we should have gotten here sooner. They are out of the one dish that I really wanted.

Waiter: Hold on, sir. We just so happen to have one more serving of braised endive.

Steelers fans: Oh... uh... wait!!! Why the fuck would I want some hot, moist lettuce!?!
    "Hey! I ordered a cheeseburger!"
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    "Hey! I ordered a cheeseburger!"
    WAITER: We have burger that is 6’5, 265 lbs., and looks like the best thing you’ve ever seen. It’s eye candy!!!

STEELERS FAN: Wow!!! How does it taste!?!

WAITER: Like dirt. About one in every ten bites, you will get a glimmer of quality... just enough for you to keep eating it (way longer than you probably should be).

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    WAITER: We have burger that is 6’5, 265 lbs., and looks like the best thing you’ve ever seen. It’s eye candy!!!

STEELERS FAN: Wow!!! How does it taste!?!

WAITER: Like dirt. About one in every ten bites, you will get a glimmer of quality... just enough for you to keep eating it (way longer than you probably should be).
    Congratulations, you have also discovered the secret formula of In-N-Out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Wait... We *are* talking about the same Tuzar Skipper, right? The one who had 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in the preseason? 'Cuz if so, I don't remember him playing like dirt.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

We'll know by 4pm if Skipper was claimed.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think we need to keep in mind who we are talking about here. Skipper and Chickillo are both bottom 1/3 of the roster players. One could argue that Skipper has more upside because he is younger. But in 2019 the following has taken place:

Player A: 40 defensive snaps resulting in 2 assisted tackles, 1 QB hit, 0.5 sacks, and 1 fumble recovery. 27 special teams snaps.
    Player B: 41 defensive snaps resulting in 1 assisted tackle, 1 QB hit, and 0.5 sacks. 53 special teams snaps.

So which player really moves the needle? Neither? Both?

A is Skipper and B is Chickillo.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Wait... We *are* talking about the same Tuzar Skipper, right? The one who had 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in the preseason? 'Cuz if so, I don't remember him playing like dirt.
    That is the same one. But, do you remember who he played against to get those stats? Probably not, because they are either on a practice squad somewhere or applied to sell shoes at Foot Locker by now.

Fans get enamoured with the play of preseason hero vs the 3rd stringers on the other team, but don't often keep perspective that the guy is also a 3rd string player that has more potential than polished NFL game at the present time. I'm good with him getting signed, but still think he is a project.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think we need to keep in mind who we are talking about here. Skipper and Chickillo are both bottom 1/3 of the roster players. One could argue that Skipper has more upside because he is younger. But in 2019 the following has taken place:

Player A: 40 defensive snaps resulting in 2 assisted tackles, 1 QB hit, 0.5 sacks, and 1 fumble recovery. 27 special teams snaps.
    Player B: 41 defensive snaps resulting in 1 assisted tackle, 1 QB hit, and 0.5 sacks. 53 special teams snaps.

So which player really moves the needle? Neither? Both?

A is Skipper and B is Chickillo.
    If Skipper never amounts to more than another Chickillo, we're still better off with him than Chickillo. I don't think he's that limited though. I think his Chickillo- like stats have more to do with the New York Football Giants' crappy defense than Tuzar Skipper's ability.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

If Skipper never amounts to more than another Chickillo, we're still better off with him than Chickillo. I don't think he's that limited though. I think his Chickillo- like stats have more to do with the New York Football Giants' crappy defense than Tuzar Skipper's ability.
    IMO, if Skipper ends up in B&G, we can hope that he progresses to a Clark Haggans type level. He isn't the athlete that Haggans was, but similarly was a college DE that needs time to convert to OLB. He has good bend around the edge and hand use, not great speed and doesn't look overly fluid in dropping in zone pass coverage. IMO, Chickillo is a better athlete, but doesn't play with the strength or bend that Skipper showed in preseason.

I say that if Skipper clears, sign him and let Paxton Lynch go, then can sign Lynch back to the PS.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Steelers get a Toledo OLB but it's Elliott not Skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Steelers get a Toledo OLB but it's Elliott not Skipper.

WTH?? They have the choice between Elliott and Skipper and they go with Elliott?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Well, it’s after 4 in your time zone. Did anyone claim Tupac? Twitter hasn’t said anything yet.

WTH?? They have the choice between Elliott and Skipper and they go with Elliott?
    Probably the age-old "played with the team recently" line ... If Skipper clears waivers, we could always sign him back to our own practice squad, which was our original intention. Just by the most roundabout way possible.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Probably the age-old "played with the team recently" line ... If Skipper clears waivers, we could always sign him back to our own practice squad, which was our original intention. Just by the most roundabout way possible.
    Right, but so could the Giants. Maybe that is their plan if he clears. And he might not want to move just to be on a different PS.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Right, but so could the Giants. Maybe that is their plan if he clears. And he might not want to move just to be on a different PS.
    Could go either way. Maybe he didn't really want to go to New York in the first place, but had to because he was claimed. Or maybe he likes it there, or thinks they have a better future. Or maybe he's got a bitch on the side in Atlanta, for all I know.

If I was a player in that position, I'd be looking at where my best shot was to parlay this into a steady job next year ... Pittsburgh has a starter on the way out and a backup likely to be gone as well ... on the other hand, Ola is ahead of you and I guess you have to count Elliott, plus they're likely to draft someone, so you may still be buried three deep. Hard to say.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Skipper went unclaimed.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So practice squad?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

So practice squad?

Waiting for the reactions when Skipper goes somewhere else because he is miffed the Steelers released him

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Waiting for the reactions when Skipper goes somewhere else because he is miffed the Steelers released him
    Colbert reportedly told him "Don't worry, kid, we'll try to bring you back."

Gotta figure that level of disrespect doesn't just fade over a few weeks.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Well since he went unclaimed I would think he would be happy to have a job anywhere.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

maybe the league realized his sacks in the preseason were all dong sacks

It might be an unpopular opinion, but as of now this might be the right move. Elliott does have NFL experience and is probably more game ready than Skipper is at this point. They're probably looking at the possibility of someone on the PS who may actually have to come in and play, Skipper is too raw as of right now.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers promote Holton, release Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    This is a very funny board. Up through yesterday posters were bemoaning the cut of Skipper. Today, the Giants no longer want him so he’s trash.
    I think I’m the only one who said he doesn’t want him unless it could get Chickillo off the roster. Didn’t say he was trash. The Giants defense is terrible. If he can’t even keep a backup role there, combined with the Steelers waiving him...that’s a sign to me. Maybe he’s another James Harrison, but let’s be honest, that kind of thing doesn’t happen often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Skipper went unclaimed.
    Another sign to pass on him...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So practice squad?
    I wish so. I don’t read too much into him going unclaimed as some do. He’s raw and needs developed. But I think he has good instincts.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I wish so. I don’t read too much into him going unclaimed as some do. He’s raw and needs developed. But I think he has good instincts.
    Those instincts apparently told him to go back to the second team to release him this season

According to this, he is now on the Giants practice squad, so that's the end of that.

https://www.bigblueinteractive.com/i...-transactions/
    See you Space Cowboy ...