Thread: Ben Roethlisberger: ‘Ability To Change’ Offensive Identity ‘Is Huge’, But Doesn’t Foresee Significant Shift To Running Game

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben Roethlisberger: ‘Ability To Change’ Offensive Identity ‘Is Huge’, But Doesn’t Foresee Significant Shift To Running Game

If there is one thing that national media reporters love asking the Pittsburgh Steelers about, it’s about ‘drama’ and what’s going on with former players. But the local media has its fetish areas as well, and one of them is the obsession over the notion of a run-pass balance.

Reporters have tried to approach the topic from a number of different directions seeking to get the responses they’re looking for, but have almost universally been shot down, basically hoping for somebody to say that they’re going to run the ball more. They probably will, just by sheer odds, but that’s not the point.

I can’t help but feel some of that thinking was beneath the surface when Ben Roethlisberger was asked yesterday about how they were able to surprise the New England Patriots last season with their aggressive running approach with Jaylen Samuels and if he felt a shift back to more run-oriented football was something he could foresee. His response from the locker room, via the team’s website:

I think having the ability to change is huge. Maybe not for a whole season, but for a game or for a little run, when teams are expecting one thing and you can just completely flip the script and become dominant in another phase of the game, I think that speaks volumes of the coaching and playing and players buying into it. I don’t know if the lay of the league flips and goes back to that at some point, I don’t foresee it anytime soon. I know there’s a lot of teams trying to go to a more running quarterback and RPO thing. I know Baltimore’s been talking about it. But if your guy gets beat up, it’s gonna be hard to stay on the field for too long,

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/be...-running-game/

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Ben Roethlisberger: ‘Ability To Change’ Offensive Identity ‘Is Huge’, But Doesn’t Foresee Significant Shift To Running Game

Smoke & Mirrors. We got Conner and Samuels, and still drafted Benny Snell. We're going to see more running than we did last year.

Wonder if we'll be seeing pony backfields, both RB's are good pass catchers that can create some mismatches

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Re: Ben Roethlisberger: ‘Ability To Change’ Offensive Identity ‘Is Huge’, But Doesn’t Foresee Significant Shift To Running Game

I think what Ben's referring to is more of a "we'll shift our offensive identity around Week 6 after a 2-3 start and actually start taking things seriously after our typical easing-into-the-season approach yields disasterous results."