Thread: NFL Sunday Ticket

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

NFL Sunday Ticket

I've had the Sunday Ticket for 12 years now since it was the only way to catch Steelers games (and not have to be subjected to weekly Broncos slop and slather). Every year, I break out the violins and call them up for a discount on the package (which is now almost $300 now for the base Sunday Ticket package).

I've read a number of reports that seem to indicate that since AT&T acquired DirecTV, they're playing hardball with the discounts and offering nothing this year. Someone on a different message board provided the number to their 'loyalty / retention' department where they have the most strings to pull if you call them up: 844-367-5558. You normally have to pitch a rather large fit before they give that number out.

Here's what I was able to pull off when I called them with my sob story: No discount on Sunday Ticket, but $60 off per month for the next 12 months, 4 months free Showtime, and 6 months free local sports package. In essence, free Sunday Ticket plus an extra $400 off ... Anybody else with Sunday Ticket has a few days left to call that number and work out a deal before the regular season starts. I'd be curious to see what others are achieving - this year was by far the best discount I ever got from DirecTV.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: NFL Sunday Ticket

At some point every year, they screw up our bill. We just wait....and pounce on the opportunity for cheap Sunday ticket. #everyyear

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I use NFL Gameplan but have to wait until the game is over to watch. $100 a year. Not too bad since I'm left coast.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I've had the Sunday Ticket for 12 years now since it was the only way to catch Steelers games (and not have to be subjected to weekly Broncos slop and slather). Every year, I break out the violins and call them up for a discount on the package (which is now almost $300 now for the base Sunday Ticket package).

I've read a number of reports that seem to indicate that since AT&T acquired DirecTV, they're playing hardball with the discounts and offering nothing this year. Someone on a different message board provided the number to their 'loyalty / retention' department where they have the most strings to pull if you call them up: 844-367-5558. You normally have to pitch a rather large fit before they give that number out.

Here's what I was able to pull off when I called them with my sob story: No discount on Sunday Ticket, but $60 off per month for the next 12 months, 4 months free Showtime, and 6 months free local sports package. In essence, free Sunday Ticket plus an extra $400 off ... Anybody else with Sunday Ticket has a few days left to call that number and work out a deal before the regular season starts. I'd be curious to see what others are achieving - this year was by far the best discount I ever got from DirecTV.
    Thanks for the update on how it worked out for you

I called in late August and spoke with a rep in the customer loyalty call center to convey my annual threat to cancel unless DirecTV made some adjustment to my bill - after being placed on hold for several minutes I hung up. Then I received an email confirming my service had been cancelled - LOL

I then called back, explained to the new customer service rep that the previous rep apparently did not know how the ritual is supposed to unfold, confirmed my service had not yet been terminated, and observed that for a company hemorrhaging cord cutting customers dumping someone who has been a customer since the 90s without trying to negotiate something was an odd way to try to preserve the business. She said she would like to negotiate something but was “locked out of the system” to discount my payments until the last 12 month deal I negotiated last September expires. She recommended I call back after Labor Day before the season starts

I plan to call again later this week. If they do not cut a deal I may actually dump them - for the games the Steelers are not on ESPN or the local Atlanta channels it probably is cheaper to go to a good sports bar about 1 mile from me and save the cost of the Ticket while switching to a streaming service like YouTube TV (same local and cable channels as DirecTV for significantly less)

When the NFL finally opens up at least the streaming of Sunday Ticket to a company other than the bean counters at AT&T I will not mourn the demise of DirecTV that will go with that action

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Since we don't watch DTV at all outside of football season I cancelled the account (time for a new contract/equipment/deal anyways) with the intent of signing a new contract before season started. Since ATT took over, it has been such a nightmare to cancel my service that I'm not going to do it again. Even after confirmation, they charged me 2 more billing cycles after they were supposed to terminate. Each time I had to call back and spend an hour on the phone.

Then they said they would send me a box for my old equipment and never did. Then they charged me for the equipment. Called back, an hour later they tell me that they can't send me a box because I'm within 20 minutes of a post office that all I have to do is take it there and they'll take care of shipping label. At this point I'm already 4 hrs into them because they botched my cancellation now they want me to give them another hour of my life fighting traffic and waiting in line so they can save $2 worth of cardboard? Screw that.. my time is worth more than the money they're trying to save. I had to overturn all 3 charges on my credit card to finally get my money back. Kiss my ass ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Dumped them 2 years ago with no regrets whatsoever.
    Customer disservice is a joke.

With S.C. having no home team, last season, only 2 Steelers games were not aired locally in my market.
    Hope I’m just as lucky this year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You guys all have internet and computers I assume. Google “nfl streaming reddit”. Follow the instructions and with no software, limited pop ups, and an HDMI cable you can watch all the games you want with low lag and decentish HD.

If the NFL would let me buy the games I wanted and not force me into a service I otherwise don’t want or need they could have some of my money. Until then, screw ‘em.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You guys all have internet and computers I assume. Google “nfl streaming reddit”. Follow the instructions and with no software, limited pop ups, and an HDMI cable you can watch all the games you want with low lag and decentish HD.

If the NFL would let me buy the games I wanted and not force me into a service I otherwise don’t want or need they could have some of my money. Until then, screw ‘em.

Yep, I got tired of being held hostage by direct TV and the entire Sunday Ticket gig.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

If you have a playstation, you can use that to stream on the big screen. Use the www browser to go to the subreddit then click click and it frees up the computer. I'm with you, until they offer PPV games or the ticket as a stand alone service they can bite it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Dumped DirecTV years ago and will probably never go back to them. Instead, I watch the games at home when they are on national TV. That's six games this year. Then, I have the choice of either going out and getting lunch after church, or coming home and doing a little work, then watching the game on NFL Game Pass (HDMI cord to my tv). Great thing about this is that I can fast forward through any breaks or if I want, watch the condensed version. Sometimes I like that better because there's no commercial time nor is there all that time between plays. Cuts the game down to about 35 minutes of back to back to back football.