Thread: Cam Heyward ready to ‘fall in love’ with new-look Steelers defense

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Cam Heyward ready to ‘fall in love’ with new-look Steelers defense

Like a romantic burned one too many times on the dating scene, Cameron Heyward continues to search for the right one. He thinks he has found it, but he’s not ready to let down his guard.

In this case, it’s not a significant other the veteran defensive lineman seeks. Heyward is happily married with three children.

It’s a group of defensive players on the Pittsburgh Steelers who will help carry the franchise to a Super Bowl appearance for the first time in a decade.

“I like them,” Heyward said late Thursday night. “I want to fall in love with them this year.”

With the preseason concluded following a 25-19 loss to the Carolina Panthers, the Steelers defensive captain stood in a corner of the visiting locker room at Bank of America Stadium and projected optimism for a defense that has fallen short of greatness so often in his eight NFL seasons.

For the second game in a row, the defense was responsible for the first score of the game, late-addition Jayrone Elliott returning his own fumble forced on a strip sack 88 yards for a touchdown. The Steelers finished with six sacks, giving them 20 in the preseason, and recorded their first two interceptions, one which led to an immediate touchdown.

“We have all the capability in the world, all of the potential,” said Heyward, who like every other starter — offensive and defense — watched from the sideline Thursday. “A lot of speed, a lot of guys that can do a lot of things that can make us flexible in our approach. But we’ve got to do it in real games because that is what we will be judged on.”

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/cam-heyw...elers-defense/

Re: Cam Heyward ready to ‘fall in love’ with new-look Steelers defense

60 sacks or more for the steelers this year?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Cam Heyward on the 2015 defense: "Not my proudest fap."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Cam Heyward on the 2015 defense: "Not my proudest fap."
    Our 2015 defense was a classic to give a lot of yards, especially against the pass, but not give a lot of points (The Steelers was 21 in yards and 11 in PPG)..Of course, it depended on how many mistakes the opponents made!

Johnny Manziel had over 350 passing yards against this defense, but only 9 points! ... The game after against a better QB (Russell Wilson) he had also a lot of yards, this time with 5 TD passes, 39 points and a lot of conversion in 3rd down and long...At least Blake was less on the field after this game!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think we are all ready to fall in love with the Steelers defense again. I really like the look of it so far. I think we got much faster and more athletic at every position group. Who is this year's 'thumper' in the middle of this defense?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

25 of those go to Dupree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    25 of those go to Dupree!!
    24 are Dongpree sacks!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As we have all discussed, I would rather have a higher percentage of “pressures/hurries” than sacks.

But, at the same time...

VW had 8 sacks just two seasons ago; I could see Turk getting that many this season. Plus, if Watt continues to develop, I could see 14-15 from him. Throw in the Dongpree sacks (between 6 and 10) and voila!!! that is 60+ sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As we have all discussed, I would rather have a higher percentage of “pressures/hurries” than sacks.

But, at the same time...

VW had 8 sacks just two seasons ago; I could see Turk getting that many this season. Plus, if Watt continues to develop, I could see 14-15 from him. Throw in the Dongpree sacks (between 6 and 10) and voila!!! that is 60+ sacks.

The Steelers were much better last year for the pass rush and it should continue this year

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The Steelers were much better last year for the pass rush and it should continue this year

What can also help a team get 60 sacks is if they have a significant lead in the vast majority of games and they shut down the other teams' running games.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

DBs that can play at the LOS and and make it more difficult to complete those quick, short, timing routes. Pass rushers that get quick penetration and move the QB and make him have to reset. Stopping the run game(as mentioned above). Whatever keeps the ball in the hands of the QB longer will result in more hurried throws/sacks. And hopefully more turn overs.

100% agree with the last 2 post!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If they can find a way to make QBs consistently take longer than 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball, then they might have a real shot at 60. If QBs can consistently get the ball out in 2.5 or less, no way.

Can’t wait to see! This all reminds me that we might have NOT talked about the arrival of Nelson anywhere near enough. The simple fact that he is not Sensabaugh or Burns might have a massive ripple effect across the entire defense. Hell, Sean Davis might start making plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If they can find a way to make QBs consistently take longer than 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball, then they might have a real shot at 60. If QBs can consistently get the ball out in 2.5 or less, no way.

Can’t wait to see! This all reminds me that we might have NOT talked about the arrival of Nelson anywhere near enough. The simple fact that he is not Sensabaugh or Burns might have a massive ripple effect across the entire defense. Hell, Sean Davis might start making plays.

This is the key!

If our secondary can challenge the opposing WR and be good at it, our defense will be very good!

They were good in preseason in that against the Chiefs and the Titans, now it's time to do that in the regular season which is what matters now!

I still do not think, the Steelers will have 60 sacks ... Only 4-5 teams in the NFL since 2000 have had that .... But 50 sacks or more like the last 2 years is very possible!

But they will have a shot for the 60 sacks...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'd rather see 50+ sacks and alot of turnovers.

This is what we should ALL be talking about. Who cares what other players for other teams do? None of it matters when this Steelers team is going to be a real force this season. Our team is better than the other teams.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

That’s great. Now, to turn those pressures into incompletions, or better yet, into turnovers.

btw: Aaron Donald gets pressure every 9 snaps... which is why the Rams are (and will be) the team that creates the most pressure in the NFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'd rather see 50+ sacks and alot of turnovers.

I’d be fine with only 40 sacks... if the Steelers were simultaneously +15 in turnover ratio.

We all want to see the big prize Devin Bush but I want to see:

- Terrell Edmunds year 2 progress/improvement (Note Homerish Hokie fan here lol)
    - Steven Nelson and how he fits in the defense
    - Kam Kelly or Mike HIlton at FS = curious to see how that works out
    - Mark Barron w/Bush.
    - Gravedigger against the backup C

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

It has a new look, but nothing else.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Good. Fall in love with it. Then get your heart broken like the rest of us.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It didn’t look new...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

New look? With Butler as the DC?
    Good luck with that.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

When LBer Vince Williams was running down the field covering Gordon ... LOL yeah new my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    New look? With Butler as the DC?
    Good luck with that.
    Yep. I'm done with the Capers/LeBeau/Butler defensive schemes

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Yeah I like Cam's new look: "Going invisible for 60 minutes titty-fighting with the LG while the other team's receivers run pick plays all night long."

It's a helluva look.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This team is all bark no bite.

New look Steelers? This is still the same old post 2010 massively underachieving Steelers only this time no AB