Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Earth to Colbert, Earth to Colbert

The Pittsburgh Steelers are currently in the process of setting their initial 53-man active roster for the 2019 season and that final group of players the team takes on the road in Week 1 figures to include three tight ends.
    Currently those three tight ends look like they might be Vance McDonald, Xavier Grimble and rookie Zach Gentry but that’s only of the general manager Kevin Colbert doesn’t add one from the outside in the coming days.

Ahead of the Steelers Thursday night preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers, Colbert sat down for a quick
    interviewwith Bob Pompeani of KDKA-TV and the team’s general manager was asked if there’s currently a number two tight end on this roster or does he feel like he needs to look elsewhere for one in the coming days.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/colbert-not-sounding-overly-optimistic-about-steelers-te-depth-chart-exiting-preseason/

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

But at the defense of Colbert, I prefer to be weak at this position than to be weak at other positions....

When you're weak at the TE position, you can compensate with others like putting more WR on the field and things like that ... Fortunately for the Steelers, they have depth at the WR position

Also, at least the steelers have a good starting TE in Vance McDonald .... The Patriots have nothing to this position right now!!! ... Nothing!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    But at the defense of Colbert, I prefer to be weak at this position than to be weak at other positions....

When you're weak at the TE position, you can compensate with others like putting more WR on the field and things like that ... Fortunately for the Steelers, they have depth at the WR position

Also, at least the steelers have a good starting TE in Vance McDonald .... The Patriots have nothing to this position right now!!! ... Nothing!
    You make a good case for keeping 7WRs and 4RBs/2FBs. Why keep TEs that aren’t ready to play when guys at other positions can make up for them?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Well, you got your wish.

You seem to have a lot of faith that McDonald is going to equal or better his performance of last year. I hope he does, but I have a gut feeling it won't be so. McDonald goes down you have no TE unless Colbert can pull a rabbit out of his hat. The Pats need a TE also but they have won without Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Edelman, and even Brady. When your weak at TE the run & pass game takes a hit, it also gives the opposing Defense less worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Well, you got your wish.

You seem to have a lot of faith that McDonald is going to equal or better his performance of last year. I hope he does, but I have a gut feeling it won't be so. McDonald goes down you have no TE unless Colbert can pull a rabbit out of his hat.
    In the NFL, with a salary cap, it's not possible to be good at every position but if a position I prefer to be weak it's at the TE position since it's the only position in the NFL ( offense or defense) where a team is not obliged to put a TE to every play and that a team can compensate by other lineup as lineup at 4 or 5 WR on the field or things like that ....

Of course, we can say the same thing for the fullback position, but this position has disappeared in this decade!

I wish the steelers had better backup at this position, but there are worse things that this.. And BTW the Patriots are weaker than we have this position ... They have no good TE right now ... At least the Steelers have a very good TE,this just his backups who are terrible!

In the NFL, with a salary cap, it's not possible to be good at every position but if a position I prefer to be weak it's at the TE position since it's the only position in the NFL ( offense or defense) where a team is not obliged to put a TE to every play and that a team can compensate by other lineup as lineup at 4 or 5 WR on the field or things like that ....

Of course, we can say the same thing for the fullback position, but this position has disappeared in this decade!

I wish the steelers had better backup at this position, but there are worse things that this.. And BTW the Patriots are weaker than we have this position ... They have no good TE right now ... At least the Steelers have a very good TE,this just his backups who are terrible!

Salary cap? There is no reason why the Steelers should be weak at TE. The Steelers could have had George Kettle in the 2017 draft and Colbert picked Josh Dobbs instead!!! It seems to me this idea of adding more WR's was tried in the past and it went nowhere.

Salary cap? There is no reason why the Steelers should be weak at TE. The Steelers could have had George Kettle in the 2017 draft and Colbert picked Josh Dobbs instead!!! It seems to me this idea of adding more WR's was tried in the past and it went nowhere.
    Kittle is the only good TE that the steelers could drafted in the last few draft but they did not take but Kittle was drafted in the 5th round ... So it's not just the steelers have not drafted Kittle .... I mean, even the 49ers do not deserve credit for taking him, since they waited until the 5th round for drafted him!

By the way, the steelers took TJ Watt, JuJu Smith-Schuster and James Conner in the first 3 rounds in 2017 ... Even Cam Sutton could be decent this year, so I'm not going to criticize Colbert for this draft because of a single bad draft pick in the first 4 round!

And Colbert has made efforts to improve this position since the retirement of Heath Miller ... He signed a big contract at this time in Green and he made a trade with McDonald ... It was a bad move and a good move ... Just need a good backup now!

I'm not blaming Colbert for not signing Jesse James too, since it would not have been a good idea to make the same offer that the Detroit lions made to James.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast;701089[B
    Kittle is the only good TE that the steelers could drafted in the last few draft but they did not take but Kittle was drafted in the 5th round ... So it's not just the steelers have not drafted Kittle .... I mean, even the 49ers do not deserve credit for taking him, since they waited until the 5th round for drafted him!

By the way, the steelers took TJ Watt, JuJu Smith-Schuster and James Conner in the first 3 rounds in 2017 ... Even Cam Sutton could be decent this year, so I'm not going to criticize Colbert for this draft because of a single bad draft pick in the first 4 round!

And Colbert has made efforts to improve this position since the retirement of Heath Miller ... He signed a big contract at this time in Green and he made a trade with McDonald ... It was a bad move and a good move ... Just need a good backup now!

I'm not blaming Colbert for not signing Jesse James too, since it would not have been a good idea to make the same offer that the Detroit lions made to James.
    What in the hell does that mean? and they could have had Kettle instead of Dobbs. Kettle was a sure pick, no question about that. Over and out!

What in the hell does that mean? and they could have had Kettle instead of Dobbs. Kettle was a sure pick, no question about that. Over and out!
    Disappointing that the Steelers have only drafted 3 pro bowl caliber players in this draft, since they have not drafted a player that had been drafted in the 5th round!

Disappointing that the Steelers have only drafted 3 pro bowl caliber players in this draft, since they have not drafted a player that had been drafted in the 5th round!
    No, disappointed that they had a sure R1 talent in Kettle that they could have had in R4, instead they have a #3QB on the bench. By the way, Kettle will be a pro bowl player. But you know that damn salary cap got in the way.

No, disappointed that they had a sure R1 talent in Kettle that they could have had in R4, instead they have a #3QB on the bench. By the way, Kettle will be a pro bowl player. But you know that damn salary cap.
    I understand, but every team, including the 49ers had no drafted Kittle in the first 4 round.

So yes I would have loved that Colbert draft Kittle, but several other GM took the decision of not drafted him, even if several of his teams had a need at the TE position too.

But I would take a draft like the steelers had in 2017 every year, even if it means that the steelers draft a backup player instead of a pro bowl caliber player in the fourth round!

I understand, but every team, including the 49ers had no drafted Kittle in the first 4 round.

So yes I would have loved that Colbert draft Kittle, but several other GM took the decision of not drafted him, even if several of his teams had a need at the TE position too.

But I would take a draft like the steelers had in 2017 every year, even if it means that the steelers draft a backup player instead of a pro bowl caliber player in the fourth round!

All the more reason why the Steelers should have taken him. The Steelers love a blocking TE.

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr...fell-in-draft/

Yeah I know that Kittle is a great talent that every team including the 49ers had not drafted him in the first 4 round.

Yeah I know that Kittle is a great talent that every team including the 49ers had not drafted him in the first 4 round.
    Nah, it's the salary cap that caused it.

Nah, it's the salary cap that caused it.
    You had not talked about Kittle yet when I talked about the salary cap ... It was either Kittle or a free agent, but I can not blame Colbert too much when he drafted 3 caliber pro bowl player before Kittle was drafted

Just look at the players that the 49ers have drafted before Kittle ...

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...2017_draft.htm

I do not think even they thought Kittle was going to be good like that

Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone. I'm out.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, I didn't think we needed a QB in that round. Kittle, Jordan Leggett and Jake Butt were still around.

Butt was going to be a risk, coming off an ACL, so maybe that was a pass. Even Leggett would have been an upgrade from Grimble and maybe he doesn't hurt his knee as a Steeler, like he did in Jets camp. Still, lots of options to take a TE back then instead of Dobbs, when they knew the position needed help.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

When Kittle was still available, I think everyone here thought they were going to take him. When Dobbs was taken, I know I wasn't happy.

I think the point polamalubeast is trying to make is that nobody that was making draft decisions in the NFL was willing to take him in the first 4 rounds. That's all. I don't think any team believed he would be the impact player he has become or they would have taken him earlier.

We all liked Kittle......but we are all experts that know what we're talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    When Kittle was still available, I think everyone here thought they were going to take him. When Dobbs was taken, I know I wasn't happy.

I think the point polamalubeast is trying to make is that nobody that was making draft decisions in the NFL was willing to take him in the first 4 rounds. That's all. I don't think any team believed he would be the impact player he has become or they would have taken him earlier.

We all liked Kittle......but we are all experts that know what we're talking about!
    Yeah this is my point

I was not happy with the pick of Dobbs in the fourth round, but I can not be too upset about Colbert on that, since it was still an unbelievable draft for the steelers with 3 great players on and off the field and every team including the 49ers had not drafted Kittle in the first 4 round.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Vikings cut TE Cole Hikutini, started over crum At Louisville. He had a good preseason but Vikes are loaded at TE.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

While I'm concerned about the TE depth, I'm not overly concerned about it. We have a lot of weapons on offense who obviate the need for TEs. What I'm more concerned about is the CB situation. After all, bad secondary play can easily lose games. Artie Burns and Justin Layne don't exactly have me brimming with confidence...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    While I'm concerned about the TE depth, I'm not overly concerned about it. We have a lot of weapons on offense who obviate the need for TEs. What I'm more concerned about is the CB situation. After all, bad secondary play can easily lose games. Artie Burns and Justin Layne don't exactly have me brimming with confidence...
    Burns and Layne are our 5th and 6th CB right now...Last year, Burns was our 2nd CB with Coty Sensabaugh as his backup ... No reason to be mediocre at this position once again

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Rookie TEs not named George Kittle have almost zero impact. So the Steelers need a guy that has been around for a few years that can block. I suspect all those dudes have jobs already.

Unless they want to trade actual draft picks for someone worse than Vance McDonald and somewhat better than Grimble and then cut Gentry -- there is no TE coming to town. I just don't see it. But I am wrong about 17 times a day...so what do I know?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Colbert is unhappy with the TE depth ... If only there was someone in charge of choosing players to be on the team, drafting players, signing players, that kind of thing ... Then Colbert could talk to that guy and let him know they dropped the ball on the TE situation.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Colbert gets rid of the locker room cancer(s). Drafts Ben's heir apparent by making the trade to jump in front of a team that was about to draft Rudolph. Fixes the ILB problem with yet another savvy draft trade. Added DBs that will improve that group on and off the field. That's a lot of balls he didn't drop. I would bet there is a plan for TEs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Colbert gets rid of the locker room cancer(s). Drafts Ben's heir apparent by making the trade to jump in front of a team that was about to draft Rudolph. Fixes the ILB problem with yet another savvy draft trade. Added DBs that will improve that group on and off the field. That's a lot of balls he didn't drop. I would bet there is a plan for TEs as well.
    It proves that it is very hard to have a perfect team, especially with the salary cap, but Colbert is still one of the best GM in the NFL!

I will not criticize Colbert for not having Kittle in 2017 since the steelers had already drafted 3 pro bowl caliber player in 2017 in the first 3 round!

If a weakness that I can live with,this is the backup TE!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yeah - draft a backup TE, except that plan went awry about a second after we made our pick, so now we're stuck with that one.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah - draft a backup TE, except that plan went awry about a second after we made our pick, so now we're stuck with that one.
    Which TE would you have drafted in Devin Bush's place? TJ Hockenson was already gone.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Unless the dude is the next Gronkowski, there is no reason to be overly concerned about the Tight End position.

Meanwhile Inside Linebacker has been a major weakness for years since James Farrior retired. Shazier was good, but he was no All-Pro at his position, Vince Williams is second-tier at best and the rest speaks for itself. The Defense is only as good as its middle linebacker. Devin Bush hopefully changes all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Unless the dude is the next Gronkowski, there is no reason to be overly concerned about the Tight End position.

Meanwhile Inside Linebacker has been a major weakness for years since James Farrior retired. Shazier was good, but he was no All-Pro at his position, Vince Williams is second-tier at best and the rest speaks for itself. The Defense is only as good as its middle linebacker. Devin Bush hopefully changes all of that.
    And this as well. We weren't losing games these last couple years due to low quality TE play. We were losing due to holes in our defense. ILB was a desperate need. CB was a desperate need. TE is a luxury we can get by without.

But SR says they did it wrong. *shrug* Fair enough... But if it were up to me, I'd go with Devin Bush over Noah Fant 10 times out of 10.