Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by W&M_Steeler View Post
    Yes, that's right. I was just joking about how reluctant the Steelers were to admit that Green had serious, career-ending concussion problems. They kept blaming his ankle injury for the longest time, far after it was apparent something else was going on with him. I think the Steelers' FO didn't do their due diligence on him and ended up paying top dollar for damaged goods, then were too embarrassed to admit it.
    It's probably the worst free agent signing up in the Colbert era after Blount

Blount was horrible in the locker room and off the field and as a player, he was a horrible fit, since he could not catch the ball which was very important in our system

Green, at least, the steelers had a logic when they signed him, since I believe he would have been a very good player for us if he would have been healthy, but unfortunately Green had never been healthy ... I do not understand how you can sign a player after the medical tests ... I think the Steelers do that after each signing, so I do not understand what's happen or if the doctors have made a mistake in his tests ...I can't believe the Steelers did not know that Green had a concussion even after the medical tests, but I think the steelers did not know that Green had a concussion.This still a mystery!

The other bad free signing agent under Colbert was Duce Staley, but he had been very good to us in the first 2 months in 2004 ... just could not stay healthy afterwards, so they were unlucky on that.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    At least Burns had a great training camp and preseason...QB vs Artie Burns in the preseason: 2/8 20 yards

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/20...sive-charting/

Let's hope that Burns will prove that last year was a fluke and that he'll even be better than he was in his first 2 years .... Burns was fine in the first 2 years but last year he was unplayable.

At least we can have hope and he is just our 5th CB right now.
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Was last year a fluke, or was this preseason a fluke? Either way, opposing offenses will test Burns the first time he steps onto the field. I sincerely hope he's got himself squared away.
    Anywho... If I'm given the choice to trade a backup LB for either a backup TE or a CB, I'd go with the CB.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is nothing left in the dumpster so we better hope McDonald stays healthy.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    There is nothing left in the dumpster so we better hope McDonald stays healthy.
    They can still make a trade for a TE on someone's roster.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It's probably the worst free agent signing up in the Colbert era after Blount

Blount was horrible in the locker room and off the field and as a player, he was a horrible fit, since he could not catch the ball which was very important in our system

Green, at least, the steelers had a logic when they signed him, since I believe he would have been a very good player for us if he would have been healthy, but unfortunately Green had never been healthy ... I do not understand how you can sign a player after the medical tests ... I think the Steelers do that after each signing, so I do not understand what's happen or if the doctors have made a mistake in his tests ...I can't believe the Steelers did not know that Green had a concussion even after the medical tests, but I think the steelers did not know that Green had a concussion.This still a mystery!

The other bad free signing agent under Colbert was Duce Staley, but he had been very good to us in the first 2 months in 2004 ... just could not stay healthy afterwards, so they were unlucky on that.
    If a player lies to the doctors about his mental symptoms, there isn't really a way to test around that. Some of the reporting around Green in that time frame indicated that he had lied to the Chargers and Steelers doctors until his symptoms got so bad he couldn't hide/ignore it anymore. Dude wanted to get paid and keep playing football - so he lied/hide/downplayed/whatever everything he could until his brain broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If a player lies to the doctors about his mental symptoms, there isn't really a way to test around that. Some of the reporting around Green in that time frame indicated that he had lied to the Chargers and Steelers doctors until his symptoms got so bad he couldn't hide/ignore it anymore. Dude wanted to get paid and keep playing football - so he lied/hide/downplayed/whatever everything he could until his brain broke.
    I did not know that, but I believe that a team can test the players for the commotions even before signing a contract ... Maybe the Steelers had no idea about that

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    They can still make a trade for a TE on someone's roster.
    Sure but who's going to trade their #2 on the list at the bottom of this link. This is from June so there may have been some movement. Maybe Colts #3 Alie Cox, big guy can catch, block and is from Virginia.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/...tion-2019-team

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapol...d-special-role

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sure but who's going to trade their #2 on the list at the bottom of this link. This is from June so there may have been some movement. Maybe Colts #3 Alie Cox, big guy can catch, block and is from Virginia.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/...tion-2019-team
    Cracks me up that Mo Alie Cox was an outstanding basketball player for VCU....which has no football team, and then just decides to play TE in the NFL. Watched him beat up on my Richmond Spiders, every year. Just shows how great an athlete he is.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Just thinkin' out loud... Trade Tyler Matakevich for David Morgan (MIN)? They need LB help...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Just thinkin' out loud... Trade Tyler Matakevich for David Morgan (MIN)? They need LB help...

Nothing against Tyler Matakevich, but he is not a solution if a team needs a LB ... Too slow unfortunately.

Nothing against Tyler Matakevich, but he is not a solution if a team needs a LB ... Too slow unfortunately.
    Alright, but the idea was to trade a #2 for a #2 (technically a #3 in David Morgan's case). They've got LBs, just no depth. We just reupped Chickillo and everyone else is too stud to trade for a #2 TE, so I guess we'll just have to make do with Grimble unless somebody comes up in FA.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If the Browns just signed a new TE maybe they are interested in shopping Njoku.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If the Browns just signed a new TE maybe they are interested in shopping Njoku.

I do not even know who the TE the Browns took on waiver yesterday ... It was probably just to have a little more depth to this position...Njoku will stay in Cleveland and even if they would like to trade him, it would never be a division rival where his two teams could compete for the title of this division unless the offer is too good to refuse!....It's unlikely!

Players on the list above that the Steelers had in for a visit 2017, 2018 & 2019

Evan Engram
    Gerald Everett
    Adam Shaheen
    Jeremy Sprinkle
    Josh Oliver
    Foster Moreau

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Players on the list above that the Steelers had in for a visit 2017, 2018 & 2019

Evan Engram
    Gerald Everett
    Adam Shaheen
    Jeremy Sprinkle
    Josh Oliver
    Foster Moreau

Good thinking listing those players. Always something to pay attention to.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

What’s going on with Luke Wilson? Did anyone pick him up after the Raiders cut him?

I think he’s a better blocker than Grimble and a great character guy. Seems like he would just fit in Pittsburgh. Maybe not the greatest athlete in the world but sometimes a really hard worker and outstanding locker room presence is more important than pure athleticism.

And long haired guys tend to do well in Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

If a move doesn't happen by tomorrow I'm not sure one will.

Them trying to claim Ricky Seals-Jones gave us a clue that a trade wasn't close to happening. Maybe they made some calls today?

Also, the Steelers being interested in RSJ tells us they don't mind if the TE they acquire isn't much of a blocker. Meaning Gentry would be the one to go, not Grimble.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Eric Ebron went to Indianapolis specifically to play with a “HOF QB”. Considering what has transpired there in recent weeks, I’m fairly certain that he would be very willing to leave the Colts (if they’d accept a trade).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Eric Ebron went to Indianapolis specifically to play with a “HOF QB”. Considering what has transpired there in recent weeks, I’m fairly certain that he would be very willing to leave the Colts (if they’d accept a trade).
    AHHHH!!! I watched far too much of Ebron as a Lion to be able to believe that last year was anything but a weird freak occurrence. Dude used to play like he had bricks for hands.

Xavier Grimble is a happy man!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    AHHHH!!! I watched far too much of Ebron as a Lion to be able to believe that last year was anything but a weird freak occurrence. Dude used to play like he had bricks for hands.
    Very true.

But, as a #2 TE, we could do worse. And, as a #3 TE, we are worse.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I keep forgetting the names of all the great TEs that backed up Heath. Why can’t we find another David Johnson or Matt Spaeth? It’s just a damn shame. Grimble is one fumble from being a fan favorite. And Gentry hasn’t even had his shot at it yet. I’m optimistic and will go out on that limb and say we’ll be ok. Colbert is just blowing a smoke screen.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I keep forgetting the names of all the great TEs that backed up Heath. Why can’t we find another David Johnson or Matt Spaeth? It’s just a damn shame. Grimble is one fumble from being a fan favorite. And Gentry hasn’t even had his shot at it yet. I’m optimistic and will go out on that limb and say we’ll be ok. Colbert is just blowing a smoke screen.
    Grimble couldn't block my grandmother, Gentry still has no idea what he's doing yet, and Vance has a history of being a bit of a china doll and crippling himself for 6-8 weeks at a stretch. We're far from okay at the TE position. The Steelers are one McDonald turf-toe away from being deeply, deeply screwed at the TE position.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Grimble couldn't block my grandmother, Gentry still has no idea what he's doing yet, and Vance has a history of being a bit of a china doll and crippling himself for 6-8 weeks at a stretch. We're far from okay at the TE position. The Steelers are one McDonald turf-toe away from being deeply, deeply screwed at the TE position.
    Part of my point was that it was the same behind Heath. Just one injury away. I’ll bet Grimble can block your grandmother. Your grandmother has lost a step speed-wise and is not nearly the bull rusher she was a few years ago.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Part of my point was that it was the same behind Heath. Just one injury away. I’ll bet Grimble can block your grandmother. Your grandmother has lost a step speed-wise and is not nearly the bull rusher she was a few years ago.
    Spaeth was a serviceable backup to Heath. Obviously a huge drop-off, but you could get by with him. Same was true for the Outlaw last year. Neither of those guys were all-pros, but they could keep the lights on if you lost your #1 TE for any stretch.

I just don't have that same comfort level with Grimble if he has to be the #1 for any meaningful period of time, and Gentry is still a project. They still need to find another TE, but the cupboard is starting to look pretty bare.

You have a point regarding my grandmother's bull rush. But her swim move is still vicious.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Matt Spaeth could really stretch the field...

Sorry. I just remember a time when that quote was a fan favorite. ��

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Matt Spaeth could really stretch the field...

Sorry. I just remember a time when that quote was a fan favorite. ��
    A great NFL caliber TE is very difficult to find. Not because there aren't good ones out there but because of what TEs are asked to do in the NFL from a knowledge perspective. This is why one 'great' TE stands out in a league of very good TEs. TEs line up inline, in the backfield, in the slot, and outside the numbers/in bunch formation. Think about that. They must know blocking assignments, protection reads and duties, and route trees from 4 different receiver alignments. Usually you find a TE that is very good at one aspect of the position or decent at 2 aspects but rarely good at a 3rd and they need to be proficient in 4, run blocking, pass protection, inside route tree, and outside route tree to be a star TE. The question is do you draft a guy that is already good as a blocker and coach him up as a receiver or take a receiver and coach him up as a blocker. And by coach up I mean at an NFL level, of course they did both in college. Colbert basically saying our TE depth is a concern because Grimble hasn't become what the hope was he would be at this stage even though he has improved. And Gentry is as raw as a rookie can be at the position. It's not like he expected to have 3 Vance McDonald's on the team all vying for playing time.