Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Unless the dude is the next Gronkowski, there is no reason to be overly concerned about the Tight End position.

Meanwhile Inside Linebacker has been a major weakness for years since James Farrior retired. Shazier was good, but he was no All-Pro at his position, Vince Williams is second-tier at best and the rest speaks for itself. The Defense is only as good as its middle linebacker. Devin Bush hopefully changes all of that.
    Ryan Shazier would have had a realistic chance of being an all-pro in 2017 before his injury ... Shazier was also a huge game changer in the playoffs

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Colbert Not Sounding Overly Optimistic About Steelers TE Depth Chart Exiting Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Which TE would you have drafted in Devin Bush's place? TJ Hockenson was already gone.
    lol, what a terrible question. A premium R1 pick for the backup tight end, or nothing. Gee, that's not a loaded statement or anything.

I would have simply used the R5 pick to select one of the dozen or so TEs rated higher than Gentry, who I think was not even projected to be drafted at all. If we really thought that much of him, we could've picked him up as an UDFA. Total waste of a pick.

Foster Moreau was the one who I personally thought was the most promising out of the group that was left in the later rounds, but he got snapped up a few picks ahead of us, which I think is what made us panic and make a shitty pick. Honestly I would have been ok using the R4 pick on him, especially with the benefit of hindsight knowing that Snell looks like he sucks.

There were still a few better choices out there, though ... Kaden Smith from Stanford, Isaac Nauta from Georgia, even Mr Irrelevant, Caleb Wilson from UCLA probably would have been better. Yes, I realize you are not going to get a superstar tight end in rounds 5-7, but that's not what we are going for, you just want someone who can be serviceable, and I don't think we even got that, just a throwaway pick for no reason. If you're going to draft for need, at least take the best player on the board AT THE SAME POSITION.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    lol, what a terrible question. A premium R1 pick for the backup tight end, or nothing. Gee, that's not a loaded statement or anything.

I would have simply used the R5 pick to select one of the dozen or so TEs rated higher than Gentry, who I think was not even projected to be drafted at all. If we really thought that much of him, we could've picked him up as an UDFA. Total waste of a pick.

Foster Moreau was the one who I personally thought was the most promising out of the group that was left in the later rounds, but he got snapped up a few picks ahead of us, which I think is what made us panic and make a shitty pick. Honestly I would have been ok using the R4 pick on him, especially with the benefit of hindsight knowing that Snell looks like he sucks.

There were still a few better choices out there, though ... Kaden Smith from Stanford, Isaac Nauta from Georgia, even Mr Irrelevant, Caleb Wilson from UCLA probably would have been better. Yes, I realize you are not going to get a superstar tight end in rounds 5-7, but that's not what we are going for, you just want someone who can be serviceable, and I don't think we even got that, just a throwaway pick for no reason. If you're going to draft for need, at least take the best player on the board AT THE SAME POSITION.

If you look in the free agent, would you have paid Jesse James the same contract that he had in Detroit if you'd have been Colbert?...Or maybe someone else?

I do not think that the lack of a backup TE is a major problem right now .... And we can find a backup TE in the street more easily than at other positions!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If you look in the free agent, would you have paid Jesse James the same contract that he had in Detroit if you'd have been Colbert?...Or maybe someone else?

I do not think that the lack of a backup TE is a major problem right now .... And we can find a backup TE in the street more easily than at other positions!
    Yep. That is, if we decide we even need one, which isn't a given.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I mean ... I think the answer when you are just looking for depth is to bring in 4 or 5 guys and see who can actually play a little. A late-round draft pick, an UDFA or two, a couple castoffs on non-guaranteed training camp deals, one or two of those guys from the CFL or XFL with an inspiring story that you always hear about ... one of them will at least make a good backup.

That's basically the same thing we did for LB and it worked great for depth. For TE, the Patriots took a similar approach, although looking for a starter they spent more resources. What we did was sign a guy we already knew was shitty, try out ONE new player on the 10% chance he would be decent, and guess what, the 90 won out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Apologies, I misunderstood your statement. I thought you meant our first round pick.
    So basically you're bitching not because we didn't draft a backup TE, but because we drafted "the wrong" backup TE?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I mean ... I think the answer when you are just looking for depth is to bring in 4 or 5 guys and see who can actually play a little. A late-round draft pick, an UDFA or two, a couple castoffs on non-guaranteed training camp deals, one or two of those guys from the CFL or XFL with an inspiring story that you always hear about ... one of them will at least make a good backup.

That's basically the same thing we did for LB and it worked great for depth. For TE, the Patriots took a similar approach, although looking for a starter they spent more resources. What we did was sign a guy we already knew was shitty, try out ONE new player on the 10% chance he would be decent, and guess what, the 90 won out.
    I understand what you mean, but a team can have only 90 players in a training camp, so a team can not have 25 TE and hope that one in it is good, otherwise the steelers will miss some players at other positions!

I'm exaggerating for the 25 TE, but what I mean is that a team can not have too many players in one position, especially at the TE position!

Apologies, I misunderstood your statement. I thought you meant our first round pick.
    So basically you're bitching not because we didn't draft a backup TE, but because we drafted "the wrong" backup TE?
    McDonald is fine as the #1, but we had no one behind him and we still have no one behind him because we did jack shit about it, and now we're concerned about it.

"We'll overpay Grimble to make sure we have stability - whoops, we forgot he sucked, so we don't actually have stability and that was just a stupid move. Now let's bring in exactly one guy, a total project guy instead of a guy who might be able to take a few snaps in a game."

Like, there are far bigger concerns unless we get hit by injuries, but why is Colbert like, "Oh, our tight end depth is worse than I expected," when that's exactly what you should've expected.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

McDonald is fine as the #1, but we had no one behind him and we still have no one behind him because we did jack shit about it, and now we're concerned about it.

"We'll overpay Grimble to make sure we have stability - whoops, we forgot he sucked, so we don't actually have stability and that was just a stupid move. Now let's bring in exactly one guy, a total project guy instead of a guy who might be able to take a few snaps in a game."

Like, there are far bigger concerns unless we get hit by injuries, but why is Colbert like, "Oh, our tight end depth is worse than I expected," when that's exactly what you should've expected.
    Overpay for Grimble?

I know he's not a good TE, but there's like 40 TE with a bigger cap hit than him and I'm sure he'd be even lower in this list if some good TE who's behind him would not be in their rookie contract!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...grimble-15028/

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ryan Shazier would have had a realistic chance of being an all-pro in 2017 before his injury ... Shazier was also a huge game changer in the playoffs

The 2017 Steelers were rather vulnerable to the run even before Shazier got hurt. Jacksonville still ran all over the Steelers in Week 5.

Shazier would over pursue and leave a gaping hole in the run Defense for others to fill. What Shazier needed a good sound complimentary linebacker to cover for his playmaking ability. Vince Williams wasn't good enough to cover for his weaknesses.

I think Devin Bush and Ryan Shazier would've made quite a tandem together, much like Farrior and Larry Foote.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I think Devin Bush and Ryan Shazier would've made quite a tandem together, much like Farrior and Larry Foote.
    they would have, but if Shazier had stayed healthy we would never have drafted Bush.

The 2017 Steelers were rather vulnerable to the run even before Shazier got hurt. Jacksonville still ran all over the Steelers in Week 5.

Shazier would over pursue and leave a gaping hole in the run Defense for others to fill. What Shazier needed a good sound complimentary linebacker to cover for his playmaking ability. Vince Williams wasn't good enough to cover for his weaknesses.

Our worst game against the run in 2017 with Shazier was against the Bears,but outside of that it was not bad.

Right. So apparently you've concluded that the other TE options we passed on were superior not only to Gentry, but Grimble as well. Which, you know... That's fine. It's an opinion. Where you lose me is the idea that more attention should've been paid to the TE position; that we should've reserved more slots in the 90 man roster to TE prospects and less to other prospects.
    I just don't see it. As I've said repeatedly upstream, we don't actually *need* TE depth, certainly not like we needed to shore up the defense. TE was a luxury IMO.

Right. So apparently you've concluded that the other TE options we passed on were superior not only to Gentry, but Grimble as well. Which, you know... That's fine. It's an opinion. Where you lose me is the idea that more attention should've been paid to the TE position; that we should've reserved more slots in the 90 man roster to TE prospects and less to other prospects.
    I just don't see it. As I've said repeatedly upstream, we don't actually *need* TE depth, certainly not like we needed to shore up the defense. TE was a luxury IMO.
    I mean, better an extra TE or two in preseason than 500 wide receivers when we can only keep 6 of them max, and we already know who all of the top 6 are ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

"500 wide receivers"? I'm assuming you're engaging in hyperbole, since it's impossible to fit 500 WRs on a 90 man roster.

So yeah... And why do we need more TE prospects again? I mean... All of those WRs can block, catch, and rush. As can all of the RBs and even the FB. What's the up- side of turning away prospects for other positions in hope that a backup TE happens to show up (which he didn't)?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

"500 wide receivers"?
    I would go with the 500 WRs, it's gonna be hard for the other team to cover them all.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I would go with the 500 WRs, it's gonna be hard for the other team to cover them all.
    Crash would love it!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Crash would love it!
    Unless Haley would still be with us if Haley decided to put only one WR on the field with one RB, one FB and two TEs and one of his TEs would be an O-lineman!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

See we should have kept Hodges and need at least 4 QB's throwing to them at the same time.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Can’t wait to see the Hail Mary play!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Strength in numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Crash would love it!

Imagine what Arians could have done with them!!!!!

The Steelers wanted TE Ricky Seals-Jones(who?) but....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

After the top three TE’s, there was a significant drop-off in talent. After that, it was a mixed bag of “Who do you like better?”

Before the draft, Moreau visited. Some liked him; some hated him. Some were pleased when he was drafted (a few picks before Gentry) because they flat-out were afraid that the Steelers would indeed have drafted him. Others were meh on the topic (because, there’s really not much difference).

The Steelers brought a total of 6 TE’s into camp (plus, a few more at mini-camp). They brought in more WR’s and more DB’s, because at any given time they could have 5 WR’s on the field at the same time(most of any team in the NFL). Likewise, they’ve used nickel (5), dime (6), and quarter (7) defenses with many DB’s on the field. It is logical that you’d need more WR’s and DB’s in camp.

Were those TE’s drafted in R3-R7 better than Grimble? Maybe, maybe not. Should the Steelers have drafted a TE earlier? Maybe, maybe not.

Is Gentry a Jesse Janes clone? Absolutely. Do I think that they drafted a guy who “fits” into Jesse James’s role? Absolutely. Was that the best plan? Maybe, maybe not.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    After the top three TE’s, there was a significant drop-off in talent. After that, it was a mixed bag of “Who do you like better?”

Before the draft, Moreau visited. Some liked him; some hated him. Some were pleased when he was drafted (a few picks before Gentry) because they flat-out were afraid that the Steelers would indeed have drafted him. Others were meh on the topic (because, there’s really not much difference).

The Steelers brought a total of 6 TE’s into camp (plus, a few more at mini-camp). They brought in more WR’s and more DB’s, because at any given time they could have 5 WR’s on the field at the same time(most of any team in the NFL). Likewise, they’ve used nickel (5), dime (6), and quarter (7) defenses with many DB’s on the field. It is logical that you’d need more WR’s and DB’s in camp.

Were those TE’s drafted in R3-R7 better than Grimble? Maybe, maybe not. Should the Steelers have drafted a TE earlier? Maybe, maybe not.

Is Gentry a Jesse Janes clone? Absolutely. Do I think that they drafted a guy who “fits” into Jesse James’s role? Absolutely. Was that the best plan? Maybe, maybe not.

I agree with your draft assessment.

I think the best move for this year is to try to sign a veteran TE that was released from another team. It would give us immediate impact, and strengthen a weakness.

The team has really strengthened the talent level and the overall depth of the roster. I just believe that they prioritized other positions in the last several drafts. Now that the roster has less weaknesses, I look for them to take a TE early in next year's draft. I think the time is right.

Unless they pull off a trade for a stud TE or sign a huge FA in the meantime!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

While I'm concerned about the TE depth, I'm not overly concerned about it. We have a lot of weapons on offense who obviate the need for TEs. What I'm more concerned about is the CB situation. After all, bad secondary play can easily lose games. Artie Burns and Justin Layne don't exactly have me brimming with confidence...

At least Burns had a great training camp and preseason...QB vs Artie Burns in the preseason: 2/8 20 yards

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/20...sive-charting/

Let's hope that Burns will prove that last year was a fluke and that he'll even be better than he was in his first 2 years .... Burns was fine in the first 2 years but last year he was unplayable.

At least we can have hope and he is just our 5th CB right now.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree with your draft assessment.

I think the best move for this year is to try to sign a veteran TE that was released from another team. It would give us immediate impact, and strengthen a weakness.

The team has really strengthened the talent level and the overall depth of the roster. I just believe that they prioritized other positions in the last several drafts. Now that the roster has less weaknesses, I look for them to take a TE early in next year's draft. I think the time is right.

Unless they pull off a trade for a stud TE or sign a huge FA in the meantime!
    Roster construction is not a "one year fix" kind of thing. It is an ongoing process. I figure it is kinda like owning a house, you are never really done improving stuff. And once you get one thing taken care of, another thing needs attention. Honestly, most of the TEs in last year's draft class after the top 3 or so were getting pretty poor scouting reports.

I figure if we rabid message board fanatics have to scan down to the 2nd or 3rd TE on the depth chart before we start getting angry about "depth" -- then I guess the team is pretty good this year.

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

No team can be strong at every position. If you had to pick one offensive position where you had suspect depth, TE would probably be the one to pick. The only concern is that Vance has been iffy health-wise historically. If he stays healthy, then there's no problem.

What's Ladarius Green up to these days? Maybe he can come in and be the #2 TE. Surely his ankle has healed by now

And sometimes, it's important to take the best player available, even if it can not always be the case but to reach a player is almost never a good thing

The roster can change very quickly sometimes ... 2 years ago, the WR position and even the RB position were not the biggest need at this time, but now the Steelers have taken the great decision to draft JuJu and Conner , since his two players are the only weapon (WR, TE and RB) of the Steelers who was in our roster in the 2017 training camp.

Proof that sometimes it can change very quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by W&M_Steeler View Post
    No team can be strong at every position. If you had to pick one offensive position where you had suspect depth, TE would probably be the one to pick. The only concern is that Vance has been iffy health-wise historically. If he stays healthy, then there's no problem.

What's Ladarius Green up to these days? Maybe he can come in and be the #2 TE. Surely his ankle has healed by now
    I think the biggest problem with Green was his concussions ... It was a mystery during the entire training camp in 2016, nobody was clear on that, but I'm sure he had a major problem with the concussions. Green had a concussion in his last game with us and he missed the rest of the season and the playoffs and he was released in May after.

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

I think the biggest problem with Green was his concussions ... It was a mystery during the entire training camp in 2016, nobody was clear on that, but I'm sure he had a major problem with the concussions. Green had a concussion in his last game with us and he missed the rest of the season and the playoffs and he was released in May after.
    Yes, that's right. I was just joking about how reluctant the Steelers were to admit that Green had serious, career-ending concussion problems. They kept blaming his ankle injury for the longest time, far after it was apparent something else was going on with him. I think the Steelers' FO didn't do their due diligence on him and ended up paying top dollar for damaged goods, then were too embarrassed to admit it.