Thread: ‘Can’t miss that one’: Injured Steelers safety Sean Davis vows to play against Patriots

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

‘Can’t miss that one’: Injured Steelers safety Sean Davis vows to play against Patriots

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Sean Davis limped off the field after playing much of the first half for the Pittsburgh Steelers in their 18-6 victory against the Tennessee Titans in their third preseason game.

The safety was one of two starters to show up on the injury report. Outside linebacker Bud Dupree exited after a few series with a thumb injury and had it in a splint.

Davis walked under his own power in the locker room after the game and indicated that his ankle injury is not serious.

“I’ll be ready for New England,” Davis said. “Can’t miss that one.”

Davis has two weeks to heal up for the regular-season opener Sept. 8 against the Patriots. He and Dupree won’t play Thursday night in the preseason finale at Carolina.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/cant-mis...inst-patriots/

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: ‘Can’t miss that one’: Injured Steelers safety Sean Davis vows to play against Patriots

I really like what I've seen from the defense so far. The Patriots will be a really good litmus test right out of the gate.

Re: ‘Can’t miss that one’: Injured Steelers safety Sean Davis vows to play against Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I really like what I've seen from the defense so far. The Patriots will be a really good litmus test right out of the gate.
    The big difference in the last two games is that the steelers CB challenge the opposing WR....They need to continue when the regular season will start!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If they can steal game #1 I'll be happy. I like their chances against the Seahawks but their west coast record just blows so a 1-2 record is very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    If they can steal game #1 I'll be happy. I like their chances against the Seahawks but their west coast record just blows so a 1-2 record is very possible.
    It's a new year, so maybe this is the year the steelers are finally going to have success in the west coast!

It's not as if his games are not close when the steelers play in the west ... Just need to find a way to win instead of a way to lose!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Steelers actually have a slight advantage playing the Patriots right out of the chute. The Evil Hoodie Emperor is at his best when he can identify your strength(s) on offense and take those away while tailoring his own offensive game-plan to isolate and attack the weak links in your defense. BUT...if the Steelers coaches can go against their tendencies a bit, all the new pieces on both sides of the ball may prevent the Patriots from correctly identifying those tendencies and keys. Plus the Patriots passing game may be a bit out of sorts right away in the initial weeks of the season....I don't know...kinda trying to talk myself into this...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The Steelers actually have a slight advantage playing the Patriots right out of the chute. The Evil Hoodie Emperor is at his best when he can identify your strength(s) on offense and take those away while tailoring his own offensive game-plan to isolate and attack the weak links in your defense. BUT...if the Steelers coaches can go against their tendencies a bit, all the new pieces on both sides of the ball may prevent the Patriots from correctly identifying those tendencies and keys. Plus the Patriots passing game may be a bit out of sorts right away in the initial weeks of the season....I don't know...kinda trying to talk myself into this...
    Yes, but I do not want to see the steelers empty their playbook just to win this game .... The steelers need to be more versatile on offense or defense and not be too predictable

If you only have one or two weapons on offense and you always win the same way when you win, you have no chance no matter what against the best team.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

In the Titans game, Sean Davis had a play where he blitzed and he blew up the OG. Mind you, the OG was off-balance, but still... pretty impressive for a FS.

As as I have mentioned in several threads: Teryl Austin has made strides with this secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    In the Titans game, Sean Davis had a play where he blitzed and he blew up the OG. Mind you, the OG was off-balance, but still... pretty impressive for a FS.

As as I have mentioned in several threads: Teryl Austin has made strides with this secondary.
    He was the dime linebacker on this play!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But the problem is Ben is always slow out of the gate in the first game. I think playing NE early is bad for us as Ben will take time to really become comfortable with his new weapons. And I also think our defense is gonna get better and better as the year goes on.

Bush is gonna be great but I don’t think his best performance of the year is gonna be on the road game one against Tom Brady.

If we lose this one it could really come back to haunt us come playoff time if we have to go back to NE as a result.

I think we will end up with a Super Bowl caliber team this year, but the top of the AFC is so competitive that the first game might be meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    But the problem is Ben is always slow out of the gate in the first game. I think playing NE early is bad for us as Ben will take time to really become comfortable with his new weapons. And I also think our defense is gonna get better and better as the year goes on.

Bush is gonna be great but I don’t think his best performance of the year is gonna be on the road game one against Tom Brady.

If we lose this one it could really come back to haunt us come playoff time if we have to go back to NE as a result.

I think we will end up with a Super Bowl caliber team this year, but the top of the AFC is so competitive that the first game might be meaningful.
    Is he? He sure wasn't against the Redskins a couple of years ago. A quick glance just at QB rating says he has had one bad start since 2014 in the first game, and that was last year. In fact, he's improved a lot on his first game stats from the 2011-2013 seasons. And then, the entire team sucked in those first quarter to half the season each season, if I recall correctly.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The steelers need to be more versatile on offense or defense and not be too predictable
    This appears to be this year's game plan. The Steelers are intentionally shuffling players and looks to keep defenses guessing. I also agree with Mojo; Coach ClothesHamper is at his best when he has game film to study.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

If you look at the last 3 years, Ben was awful in the first game last year, but the other 2 years he was fine

2016, it took 1 quarter and after Ben had a great game and in 2017, Ben was fine again, it's just that so many player was rusty in this game like Bell, Bryant and the steelers had just made a trade for McDonald's and JuJu had played this game as a true rookie (2 holding penalties and 0 catch) ... Only Ben and AB who was fine in this game in offense

BTW, even if the Steelers win this game, the Pats could still finish before us in the standing ... Nothing is guaranteed even if the Steelers win this game.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    This appears to be this year's game plan. The Steelers are intentionally shuffling players and looks to keep defenses guessing. I also agree with Mojo; Coach ClothesHamper is at his best when he has game film to study.
    I agree with Belichick ... which was a reason why I was impressed by Doug Peterson in the Super Bowl 2 years ago

Not only had he changed his tendencies from his previous games (even if the eagles were successful with that) he had also changed his game plan in halftime in the Super Bowl against the Pats in offense (even if once again his offense had been great in the first half)

One of the best coaching games I've seen in my life, but you can only do that on a playoff game ... I do not want to see Tomlin and his staff empty the playbook just to win this game in New England ... The Steelers must also be able to make good play even when the Pats knew what to expect

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

2015: Opening drive against the Taperiots. DeAngelo Williams is having a great day. The offense is clicking. So... Todd Haley calls a “double-reverse bubble-screen halfback-pass” which stalls the drive.

SUMMATION:
    Do not call the “double-reverse bubble-screen halfback-pass” (and we should be good to go).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    2015: Opening drive against the Taperiots. DeAngelo Williams is having a great day. The offense is clicking. So... Todd Haley calls a “double-reverse bubble-screen halfback-pass” which stalls the drive.

SUMMATION:
    Do not call the “double-reverse bubble-screen halfback-pass” (and we should be good to go).
    This game is the last game that I did not believe before the game that the Steelers could win this game ... In fact the only other time I did not believe that the Steelers could win their next game since that time were when Ben was out against the Pats in 2016.

This game was so bad for the Steelers ... The offense beat themselves (like the trick play by Haley, the awful 2 minutes offense at the end of the first half, put Will Johnson instead of DeAngelo Williams in the short yards situation even if Williams had already had 18 TD in one season) our kicker miss 2 FG and our defense had major communication problem with only 9 or 10 players on the field and put no one on Gronk on at least 2 play and put a player like Terence Garvin one against one in the one yard line against Gronk!...Awful coaching game!

The Pats had 4 very easy TD in their first 6 drive and after they were very conservative with the rain.