Thread: Remembering the play that kickstarted a steelers dynasty.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Remembering the play that kickstarted a steelers dynasty.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Remembering the play that kickstarted a steelers dynasty.

With all due respect - that play, while exciting, did not have much to do with the Steelers dynasty. They lost the next game and didn't even win the division the next year. It was the 1974 draft with 4 Hall of Famers in the first 5 picks that kick-started the dynasty.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    With all due respect - that play, while exciting, did not have much to do with the Steelers dynasty. They lost the next game and didn't even win the division the next year. It was the 1974 draft with 4 Hall of Famers in the first 5 picks that kick-started the dynasty.
    The game after was against the only team ever to finish the season with a perfect season including the playoffs

But I understand your point, but at the same time, it was the turning point in the history of the Steelers .... Before this play, the Steelers had never won a playoff game ... But those who think our win in the AFC title game in Oakland in 1974 was our biggest win in the 1970s (in terms of turning point) have a great point too.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I see it a little differently than you.

They damn near lost that game in the closing minutes when Stabler scrambled for a TD, which would be typical way for the Steelers to grab defeat from the jaws of victory back in those days. By winning this game the way they did it proved their fortunes had changed. Yes it took the draft of '74 to put the Steelers over the top at least they knew after this game they could win a meaningful game, they were not the "Same ole Steelers". It also drew national attention to the team so fans from outside of Pittsburgh were starting to take notice,

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I see it a little differently than you.

They damn near lost that game in the closing minutes when Stabler scrambled for a TD, which would be typical way for the Steelers to grab defeat from the jaws of victory back in those days. By winning this game the way they did it proved their fortunes had changed. Yes it took the draft of '74 to put the Steelers over the top at least they knew after this game they could win a meaningful game, they were not the "Same ole Steelers". It also drew national attention to the team so fans from outside of Pittsburgh were starting to take notice,
    I see it the same way you do.
    If you saw it as it happened, you knew things were changing for the Steelers...and changing for the very good.
    Yeah, we didn’t do much the next two years but there were some very good teams to contend with and those teams knew that in the years to come they would be facing a defense for the ages.
    THE DRAFT led to 4 in 6.
    If this play didn’t kickstart the dynasty, which play did?

I'd disagree with you. This play is the demarcation between the Steelers that had made the playoffs once in their history, in 1947 and was trounced 21-0 by the Eagles and a Steelers team that didn't miss the playoffs for the rest of the decade. The monkey was off the their back and they had won a playoff game.

Besides, while that 1974 draft was great, it really didn't start paying dividends until the second two SBs. Webster was sitting behind Mansfield until '76. Swan caught only five passes the throughout the playoffs in 74 and eight in 75 (although he finally came alive in the SB with 4 passes). Stallworth had an even less impact on the team those first two years. In fact, Rocky Bleier caught as manyt or more balls than Swan and Stallworth in several games.

No, if you want to go to the draft, perhaps the one draft that had the most to do with it, I think you have to go to the 1969 draft with Greene, Kolb, and Greenwood. That draft created the anchors the defense could build upon that would carry the Steelers throughout most of the seventies with Blount coming the following year and then Ham, Dwight White, and Mike Wagner coming the year after that. Had Noll not been able to build upon those anchors, there's no guarantee he would even be around in the mid seventies.

For those reasons I think the IR was absolutely the demarcation and the beginning of what would later be the Steelers dynasty. It was the fork in the road for the Steelers and since that game, the Steelers have never gone more than four seasons without being in the playoffs.

If anything, the 1974 draft was the capstone, perhaps even a guarantor of a dynasty. But it most definitely wasn't the start.

The immaculate reception was also the first TD in the Playoffs in Steelers history!

Maybe it's a bit homer to say that but I think the immaculate reception is the biggest play in sports history if we consider the moment(it was a playoff game and it was the turning point of the history of the steelers)and how unlikely the chances were for the steelers to win this game before this play

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    If this play didn’t kickstart the dynasty, which play did?
    No play did, that's the point.

The Immaculate Reception might have been one of the most memorable plays ever, and symbolic of the dynasty, but overall I don't think it actually changed much by itself.

You want a play that "kick-started a dynasty," try The Catch for the 49ers. That directly led to their first championship. If it didn't happen, they were fucked.

I guess you could say the same for the Tuck Rule play, although what a chickenshit thing to have as your defining moment in franchise history. Sums THAT team up perfectly, though, so I guess it's fitting.

If you had to pick such a moment for the Steelers, maybe the safety against the Vikings, not only because of what it did to help secure the game, but also put their own particular stamp on it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

No play did, that's the point.

The Immaculate Reception might have been one of the most memorable plays ever, and symbolic of the dynasty, but overall I don't think it actually changed much by itself.

You want a play that "kick-started a dynasty," try The Catch for the 49ers. That directly led to their first championship. If it didn't happen, they were fucked.

I guess you could say the same for the Tuck Rule play, although what a chickenshit thing to have as your defining moment in franchise history. Sums THAT team up perfectly, though, so I guess it's fitting.

If you had to pick such a moment for the Steelers, maybe the safety against the Vikings, not only because of what it did to help secure the game, but also put their own particular stamp on it.
    It put the national spotlight on them, it grew their fanbase and it changed them from being the "Same Ole Steelers". They were no longer the lovable losers of the NFL.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Besides, while that 1974 draft was great, it really didn't start paying dividends until the second two SBs. Webster was sitting behind Mansfield until '76. Swan caught only five passes the throughout the playoffs in 74 and eight in 75 (although he finally came alive in the SB with 4 passes). Stallworth had an even less impact on the team those first two years. In fact, Rocky Bleier caught as manyt or more balls than Swan and Stallworth in several games.
    I dunno - I'd say Swann and Lambert were the keys to winning SB X.

I'd imagine Mark Washington still sees Swann in his nightmares and Lambert pretty much took that game over emotionally after Cliff Harris taunted Gerela after missing a FG.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I dunno - I'd say Swann and Lambert were the keys to winning SB X.

I'd imagine Mark Washington still sees Swann in his nightmares and Lambert pretty much took that game over emotionally after Cliff Harris taunted Gerela after missing a FG.
    Lambert definitely helped and Swan had a big game, but let us also not forget he had only four catches the entire team had only nine catches (the team was completely dependent on the run back then as were many teams). I'm not dismissing Swann's help in the game but rather, I'd argue without Franco's catch in 1972, there's a good chance we don't have the monkey off our back. That was the game and the play that separates the eras of the Steelers - Steelers as losers vs. Steelers as winners.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I think that play showed the Steelers were no longer a bad team that could not win playoff games. Confidence that you can do it, and doing it a spectacular fashion can mean everything to a franchise. While the Steelers were not ready for the super bowl just yet, this game with these players on the field began to believe.

Lambert definitely helped and Swan had a big game, but let us also not forget he had only four catches the entire team had only nine catches (the team was completely dependent on the run back then as were many teams). I'm not dismissing Swann's help in the game but rather, I'd argue without Franco's catch in 1972, there's a good chance we don't have the monkey off our back. That was the game and the play that separates the eras of the Steelers - Steelers as losers vs. Steelers as winners.
    Swann had only 4 catch yes,but for 161 yards!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. It made me chuckle. What a stat. Interesting that he only had 1 TD with those 161 yards, though. Or, not so much since it really was a run-oriented offense, which could also be one of the reasons Swann got such big chunks. Well, that and the Blond Bomber. (Not saying Swann didn't have anything to do with it. Unless I'm confusing the Dallas SBs, he had one or two circus catches that first SB.

Yeah, I saw that. It made me chuckle. What a stat. Interesting that he only had 1 TD with those 161 yards, though. Or, not so much since it really was a run-oriented offense, which could also be one of the reasons Swann got such big chunks. Well, that and the Blond Bomber. (Not saying Swann didn't have anything to do with it. Unless I'm confusing the Dallas SBs, he had one or two circus catches that first SB.
    It was in 1975 when Swann had been the Super bowl MVP...4 catchs(Swann said it was in 5 targets) for 161 yards and 1 TD!

Here is the video on that

The 161 yards by Swann in super bowl X was also his second best game in his career(regular season,playoffs or super bowl)!

Only his game vs Bengals in 1979 was better for the yards...His super Bowl 13 vs Cowboys was also one of his best game of his career(124 yards,7th best game in term of yards in his career)!

- - - Updated - - -

And for the 1974 draft, what is crazy about this,is that this draft class had 5 players who were in the HOF ... The Steelers took 4 of his players!!!!

The other player who was in the HOF but who was not drafted by the steelers was Dave Casper.

The 161 yards by Swann in super bowl X was also his second best game in his career(regular season,playoffs or super bowl)!

Only his game vs Bengals in 1979 was better for the yards...His super Bowl 13 vs Cowboys was also one of his best game of his career(124 yards,7th best game in term of yards in his career)!

- - - Updated - - -

And for the 1974 draft, what is crazy about this,is that this draft class had 5 players who were in the HOF ... The Steelers took 4 of his players!!!!

The other player who was in the HOF but who was not drafted by the steelers was Dave Casper.
    I'm not doubting Swann's contributions at all. I'm just stating if we wanted to pin a demarcation between the loser Steelers and the Dynastic Steelers, the Immaculate Reception is a better place than the '74 draft.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    The great thing was hearing the initial yell from the Raiders sideline after the hit that popped the ball into the air, then watching the reaction as the horror unfolded for them.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

There seems to be a discussion of what started the Steelers dynasty and if it was the Immaculate Reception. For me it was the starting of a dynasty was a multi-year process involving the gradual transition from laughing stock to Super Bowl champions starting with the drafting of Chuck Noll and including the drafting of numerous players

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

[QUOTE=polamalubeast;699818]The immaculate reception was also the first TD in the Playoffs in Steelers history!

Maybe it's a bit homer to say that but I think the immaculate reception is the biggest play in sports history if we consider the moment(it was a playoff game and it was the turning point of the history of the steelers)and how unlikely the chances were for the steelers to win this game before this play[/QUOTE

I've got to agree with you. As a old Steeler fan (70yrs old) I'd have to say that's one play that has been shown over and over again in just about any football related history film. I do have to say I'm a big Lambert fan and truly enjoyed his style of play and hitting...good ole' football, which is why Polamalu soon became my 2nd hard hitting player. He could fly over the offensive line and hit the QB faster than the ball, and just as fast be in the field making an interception or knocking down a pass. Sure do miss Steeler style of football play. Sitting and thinking of all the history of Steeler football, the different players (old/new), Steel curtain, etc., I just can't just narrow it down to the moment the team dynasty was established.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Diontae Johnson's TD CATCH TODAY !
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah.... but.... he didn't score 5 touchdowns!