Thread: T.J. Watt Sees ‘Being Really Fast Around The Ball’ As Defensive Group’s ‘Distinct Trait’

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

T.J. Watt Sees ‘Being Really Fast Around The Ball’ As Defensive Group’s ‘Distinct Trait’

The Pittsburgh Steelers feel they were able to upgrade the speed of their defense significantly this year with the additions of Steven Nelson, Mark Barron, and Devin Bush. The influx of athleticism at the inside linebacker position in particular has the chance of making the biggest difference between this season’s unit and the group a year ago that blew leads in five games in the fourth quarter out of the team’s seven losses or ties.

But the group is also getting faster through maturation, with younger players such as Terrell Edmunds and T.J. Watt continually getting more and more comfortable in their roles, able to play freer and looser, without thinking as much. At least for the latter, it’s been noticeable throughout the offseason.

“We’re flying around a lot faster than we were last year, especially around this time of year”, the told reporters earlier this week, per Teresa Varley and the team’s website. “We are playing really fast. That is the number one thing you are seeing”.

It’s all an extension of head coach Mike Tomlin’s philosophy. He believes that the game is primarily played through sub-package football now, with smaller and more athletic players, and he has largely geared his roster toward that end, expecting it to pay off both in the general performance category in in the production of takeaways.

“Even if we do miss some tackles this year, you are going to see another guy behind being able to clean the mess up”, said Watt, who missed his share of tackles a year ago. “I think that is going to be our distinct trait this year, being really fast around the ball. Just trying to create more turnovers, trying to be able to get the push up front and be more ball aware this year”.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/t-...istinct-trait/

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: T.J. Watt Sees ‘Being Really Fast Around The Ball’ As Defensive Group’s ‘Distinct Trait’

If they can't tackle, it doesn't matter how fast they are.

Tackling and covering Tight Ends (no matter who) has been an issue on the Defense for years now. They may be a fast Defense, but I don't know if they're a physical one. Keith Butler is still the DC, so I don't see that changing much.

Re: T.J. Watt Sees ‘Being Really Fast Around The Ball’ As Defensive Group’s ‘Distinct Trait’

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Tackling and covering Tight Ends (no matter who) has been an issue on the Defense for years now. They may be a fast Defense, but I don't know if they're a physical one. Keith Butler is still the DC, so I don't see that changing much.
    For the missed tackle,this is much better this year that last year at the same time...(15 missed tackle after 2 game preseason game this year vs 37 last year)

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/st...kles-report-4/

And I do not know if you read the article for Watt has a very good point ... Here are some things that Watt said

“Even if we do miss some tackles this year, you are going to see another guy behind being able to clean the mess up”, said Watt, who missed his share of tackles a year ago. “I think that is going to be our distinct trait this year, being really fast around the ball. Just trying to create more turnovers, trying to be able to get the push up front and be more ball aware this year”.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

I understand your point about missed tackles, but it always matters how fast you are as a team defensively.

Pursuit helps erase missed tackles.

More players getting to the ball creates more turnovers.

Speed on defense helps limit the other team's ability to run outside.

Speed makes windows smaller in the secondary for the opposing quarterback to throw into.

Speed helps erase mistakes in the secondary.

Speed gives players a better opportunity to burst into the backfield for negative plays.

There are a ton of reasons why it is always better to be fast. Sure, they need to be physical, execute, make tackles, know assignments, etc....but speed helps in every way imaginable.

No excuse to be average on defense this year.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

They looked faster to the ball and it seemed like more guys were getting to the ball.
    Run defense looked much better to me.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Watt, Heyward, Alualu, Dupree, Bush, Haden, Burns, Barron, Edmunds all 1st round picks. All play defense. Of course this defense looks good on paper. Tuitt, Hargrave, Nelson, Davis, Sutton, Layne were all either 2nd or 3rd round picks. There is a lot of talent on this defensive roster. Throw on some 5th, 6th, and 7th round athletic freaks and this defense starts to look scary on paper. Now go out there, create chaos and make plays.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Watt, Heyward, Alualu, Dupree, Bush, Haden, Burns, Barron, Edmunds all 1st round picks. All play defense. Of course this defense looks good on paper. Tuitt, Hargrave, Nelson, Davis, Sutton, Layne were all either 2nd or 3rd round picks. There is a lot of talent on this defensive roster. Throw on some 5th, 6th, and 7th round athletic freaks and this defense starts to look scary on paper. Now go out there, create chaos and make plays.
    Like Denny Green used to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler