The Pittsburgh Steelers practiced in pads again on Thursday ahead of their third preseason game of 2019 that will take place Sunday night against the Tennessee Titans and after the session ended, head coach Mike Tomlin addressed the media.

“Another good day today,” Tomlin said. “Simulated an in-season Thursday, just taking a step in in the process of preparation, focusing on elements of special teams play from a classroom setting, but did I normal procedures and things out here. Just familiarizing the young guys, the new guys with our approach to business so they can find their footing and put their best foot forward and have a consistent level of play. That’s what we strive for. So, we’ll continue to push through the week. Good day today.”

Tomlin wouldn’t not reveal on Thursday which players may or may not play in the team’s preseason game Sunday night against the Titans. Additionally, he wouldn’t name the players currently not practicing.

“Again, no real plans in terms of who’s playing and how long they’re playing,” Tomlin said. “Obviously it being the third game the first units are going to play and play significantly more than they have. Those that are dealing with day-to-day like injuries, we’re not gonna eliminate anyone at this juncture. We’re gonna leave the light on for them and have an inclusive mentality because the opportunities to state a case for themselves are getting fewer. So, that’s our mentality”

According to Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, rookie wide receiver Diontae Johnson said Thursday that he’s dealing with “just a day-to-day thing” which is why he didn’t practice earlier in the day.

“I’ll do what I can, and if I can play, I can play. We’ll see,” Johnson reportedly said.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/st...getting-close/