Thread: Steelers DL Lavon Hooks suffered an Achilles injury in practice

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers DL Lavon Hooks suffered an Achilles injury in practice

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Steelers DL Lavon Hooks suffered an Achilles injury in practice

That is a drag. He was only under contract for $495,000 but likely not going to make the 53. What happens in these cases? Is there an injury clause in the CBA that allows them to get some form of compensation as they get released?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    That is a drag. He was only under contract for $495,000 but likely not going to make the 53. What happens in these cases? Is there an injury clause in the CBA that allows them to get some form of compensation as they get released?
    If you waive an injured player instead of putting him on IR, typically they negotiate an injury settlement, which does not count against the salary cap. The amount depends on how long the player would be unable to play, and probably also on his likelihood of making the team. It's between the team and the player and agent. And if the team is trying to lowball the player, then it goes through the grievance/arbitration process.

Basically, it kind of sucks if you are one of those marginal players that the team doesn't like enough to stash on IR, because you are not really guaranteed of anything.

Then again, if you're one of those players just hoping for a camp invite, you probably didn't have many salary expectations to begin with, knowing you were already a long shot to make the team at all.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Another Toledo dude

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If you waive an injured player instead of putting him on IR, typically they negotiate an injury settlement, which does not count against the salary cap. The amount depends on how long the player would be unable to play, and probably also on his likelihood of making the team. It's between the team and the player and agent. And if the team is trying to lowball the player, then it goes through the grievance/arbitration process.

Basically, it kind of sucks if you are one of those marginal players that the team doesn't like enough to stash on IR, because you are not really guaranteed of anything.

Then again, if you're one of those players just hoping for a camp invite, you probably didn't have many salary expectations to begin with, knowing you were already a long shot to make the team at all.
    OK, thanks for the info.

I thought last year that Hooks had outplayed McCullers in preseason and could have made the 53. This year IMO he was behind Buggs and McCullers so far, with some saying Mondeaux may have been ahead of him as well. He may not have made the 53, but with an Achilles injury, he wasn't gonna be on the PS either. Just was curious if these guys in an injury situation get taken care of a bit, or just cast aside like a moldy bagel.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Hate to say it but rather him than Hargrave...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Hate to say it but rather him than Hargrave...

Are you being serious?

I know that's not what he said, but I never wish a injury, even at the worst enemy, unless this player was dirty for his entire career(Burfict)...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Are you being serious?
    If an injury HAS to occur? Yeah. I’d rather it be to a depth player than a potential Pro Bowl Starter and key cog for the defense. You’d feel otherwise?

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

If an injury HAS to occur? Yeah. I’d rather it be to a depth player than a potential Pro Bowl Starter and key cog for the defense. You’d feel otherwise?
    Haha, I read your previous post the same way, thought you were saying you would rather HAVE him then Hargrave

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I thought you were saying you would rather have Hooks instead of Hargrave!

I should have known better.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I thought you were saying you would rather have Hooks instead of Hargrave!

I should have known better.
    Lol. No way!!

But do injuries HAVE to occur? Is it ordained that somebody on the team is going to have an achilies injury someday and its just a roll of the dice whether its a starter or a guy that wasn't gonna make the 53? I just don't see the logic that an injury has to occur, stuff just happens randomly.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    But do injuries HAVE to occur? Is it ordained that somebody on the team is going to have an achilies injury someday and its just a roll of the dice whether its a starter or a guy that wasn't gonna make the 53? I just don't see the logic that an injury has to occur, stuff just happens randomly.
    I'm pretty sure 86WARD was just answering theoretically...