Thread: Chemistry Developing Between Washington, Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Chemistry Developing Between Washington, Roethlisberger

Steelers WR looking to rebound from disappointing rookie year

James Washington has shown what he can do with and against backups. But now it is time for the top dogs.

Washington has been the Steelers’ best offensive weapon through two preseason games, catching eight passes for 162 and a touchdown.

It is the second straight year that Washington has shined in the first two preseason games, going for 158 yards and two scores last year.

But, after that, Washington’s production dropped off. He finished the regular season with just 16 catches for 217 yards and only one touchdown.

Seemingly the main issue with Washington was his inability to develop chemistry with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, something he thinks has gotten better.

“I feel like I’ve grown on it, just from mistakes last year and studying him giving signals to other guys,” he said. “I feel like we’re ready to go.

On Sunday, when Pittsburgh heads to Tennessee to face the Titans, Washington will likely get some work with Roethlisberger and the first-team offense.

Last edited by polamalubeast; 08-21-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Re: Chemistry Developing Between Washington, Roethlisberger

Steelers OC Fichtner Not Worried About WR Washington Having Repeat Of Rookie Season

Pittsburgh Steelers second-year wide receiver James Washington is having a great 2019 preseason so far as the team’s 2018 second-round draft pick out Oklahoma State has already registered 8 receptions for 152 yards and a touchdown in the team’s first two exhibition games. Two of those eight catches were deep down the field as well and resulted in gains of 43 and 40 yards, respectively.

Washington’s strong 2019 preseason start is indeed great; however, we’ve already seen him play well in preseason action once as he caught seven passes for 158 yards and two touchdowns in three exhibition games as a rookie. Unfortunately for him, Washington couldn’t carry over his rookie preseason momentum into the 2018 regular season.

During a recent interview with Missi Matthews of steelers.com, Steelers offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner was asked what it is that he would probably tell people that might be worried about Washington possibly having a second consecutive disappointing regular season in 2019 after having a second consecutive strong showing during the preseason.

“Well. I would say this, I’ve seen it developing, I’ve seen a better conditioned athlete, a much more knowledgeable player at his position now,” Fichtner said. “I don’t see the angst of maybe not knowing, or cutting it loose, because you’re not sure. He’s very sure right now. He’s very confident in what he’s doing, and we have a lot of confidence in him.”

Fellow Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster also isn’t worried about Washington possibly following up another strong preseason with a disappointing regular season. During his Wednesday morning media session, Smith-Schuster was asked to disclose what he’s seeing out of Washington so far this year as opposed to teammate’s’ rookie season.

“Oh man, huge difference, huge change,” Smith-Schuster said. “He’s increased. As you guys can see during preseason, he’s making plays left and right. Like I said, there’s no doubt in my mind that he’ll be doing that during the season. I’m super excited to watch him.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/st...rookie-season/

Re: Chemistry Developing Between Washington, Roethlisberger