Thread: T.J. Watt, Bud Dupree have makings of 'awesome tandem'

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

T.J. Watt, Bud Dupree have makings of 'awesome tandem'

GERRY DULAC

Little more than two years into his Steelers career, and T.J. Watt wasn’t lying.

He said when he was drafted with the 30th overall pick in 2017 that he loves football and plays it with passion because he realizes how important the game is to him.

And he wasn’t kidding.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a training-camp practice in Latrobe or a meaningless preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Watt is all-in, attacking the right tackle and going after the quarterback as though it’s a playoff game in January.

read more

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908200112

Re: T.J. Watt, Bud Dupree have makings of 'awesome tandem'

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What sucks is if Dupree is lights out this year...let’s say he produces at a level where you’re talking about Watt and Dupree in the same sentences as Woodley and Harrison or Lloyd and Greene or whatever...do you sign him to another deal and hope you get the 2019 Dupree and not the 4 previous years of Dupree or do you let him walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What sucks is if Dupree is lights out this year...let’s say he produces at a level where you’re talking about Watt and Dupree in the same sentences as Woodley and Harrison or Lloyd and Greene or whatever...do you sign him to another deal and hope you get the 2019 Dupree and not the 4 previous years of Dupree or do you let him walk?
    It all depends on how flexible Dupree and his agent are willing to be. I think you give him a contract with a low(er) amount of guarantees but a big amount of $$$ that become guaranteed if Dupree hits a series of mutually beneficial benchmarks (games played, sacks, pressures, etc.)

BUT if Dupree just wants a straight up big $$$ "I'm a Big Boy Pass Rusher Now" contract -- well then you hope that Tupac or Alphabet Soup learns to play well in space.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It all depends on how flexible Dupree and his agent are willing to be. I think you give him a contract with a low(er) amount of guarantees but a big amount of $$$ that become guaranteed if Dupree hits a series of mutually beneficial benchmarks (games played, sacks, pressures, etc.)

BUT if Dupree just wants a straight up big $$$ "I'm a Big Boy Pass Rusher Now" contract -- well then you hope that Tupac or Alphabet Soup learns to play well in space.
    From the sounds of it, the latter may be what his playing for...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

From the sounds of it, the latter may be what his playing for...
    Almost certainly. If he posts 10-12 sacks this year and continues to look athletic in open space, he is almost certain to sign for a boatload of money in the open market.

Unfortunately the ZaDarius Smith and Preston Smith contracts are almost certain to be the minimums that Dupree and his agent ask for. In fact, I would make a case that Bud Dupree is positioned to be 2020's version of Dee Ford. If he posts double digit sacks, someone is going to decide he is a mid 20's NFL pass rusher who has finally "turned the corner" and is going to back up a dump-truck of money for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Almost certainly. If he posts 10-12 sacks this year and continues to look athletic in open space, he is almost certain to sign for a boatload of money in the open market.

Unfortunately the ZaDarius Smith and Preston Smith contracts are almost certain to be the minimums that Dupree and his agent ask for. In fact, I would make a case that Bud Dupree is positioned to be 2020's version of Dee Ford. If he posts double digit sacks, someone is going to decide he is a mid 20's NFL pass rusher who has finally "turned the corner" and is going to back up a dump-truck of money for him.
    If Dupree has a season like Dee Ford last year, the steelers could franchise TAG him and traded him after if they think this season is a fluke.

The Steelers need to not make the same mistake they made with Jason Worilds after the 2013 season when he had 8 sacks in 8-10 starts but almost all of his sacks were dong sacks.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dupree sure played his ass off against the Chiefs, I hope it translates to the regular season. He may play himself out of our price range, but we have some promising young talents at OLB right now

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I still don't buy into Dupree. Also a sudden breakout year after 4 years of middling play may just be trying to play for a contract

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If Dupree has a season like Dee Ford last year, the steelers could franchise TAG him and traded him after if they think this season is a fluke.

The Steelers need to not make the same mistake they made with Jason Worilds after the 2013 season when he had 8 sacks in 8-10 starts but almost all of his sacks were dong sacks.
    Steelers don’t do that.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I still don't buy into Dupree. Also a sudden breakout year after 4 years of middling play may just be trying to play for a contract
    The reason why I think Dupree could have a breakout season is because Keith Butler is our linebacker coach

No doubt, Butler is not good as DC, but as a linebacker coach, he is very good...much better that Porter at least at this job...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

TAG him and make him do it 2 years in a row.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers’ Dupree looks to break out in 5th season

https://www.apnews.com/37606c1954164bcd931c73ca44251839

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’d rather Dupree has a great season and we lose him... than have Dupree be mediocre for another season.

Think about it this way: either way, he’s probably gone after this season; so, why not get at least one great season out of him.

Plus, if he leaves for a huge contract, we’ll get a R3 comp pick for him.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Same here. He's had plenty of time to prove himself. It didn't take TJ years to "produce".

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He's been working hard to get into what he calls "18 sack shape"

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Same here. He's had plenty of time to prove himself. It didn't take TJ years to "produce".

Not every player develops on the same schedule.

I'm not saying he's going to lead the NFL in sacks. What I'm saying is that the lightbulb isn't on out of the box with most players.

Let's see what he can do this year and then decide.

Our pass rush could be even better if Dupree is better...

Don't forget, however, this is the first year they've decided to scheme him according to his strengths rather than making him play a role in a system that didn't fully fit him. At least, that's what Wolf and Tunch were saying a few weeks ago (I think it was them).

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    He's been working hard to get into what he calls "18 sack shape"
    I guess that does take a good amount of time...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Don't forget, however, this is the first year they've decided to scheme him according to his strengths rather than making him play a role in a system that didn't fully fit him. At least, that's what Wolf and Tunch were saying a few weeks ago (I think it was them).
    ^^THIS^^

Square peg, round hole. It reminds me of Mike Vrabel: decent OLB, didn’t fit, left the Steelers, new coach utilized Vrabel’s strengths, became a great player.