Thread: Smith-Schuster Focused On Becoming A Better Deep Pass Receiver During Offseason

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Smith-Schuster Focused On Becoming A Better Deep Pass Receiver During Offseason

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster had a breakout second season in the NFL in 2018 as the teams former second-round draft pick out of USC caught a team-high 11 passes for 1,426 yards and 7 touchdowns. With his third season in the NFL now on tap, Smith-Schuster was asked Wednesday morning during his media session if there’s anything that he tried to focus on during the offseason to get better from last year. His answer wasn’t overly surprising.

“More so for myself, you know, being able to catch deep balls down the field,” Smith-Schuster said. “Those go-balls, like those free balls that they send down the field where, you know, I gotta go make those plays. And that’s what I focused on a lot, catching them over the shoulder and being able to be a threat on the outside.”

While Smith-Schuster has proven to be a big-time playmaker and reliable wide receiver in his first two seasons in the NFL, the stats show that he could indeed still become a more regular deep pass catcher. Of Smith-Schuster’s 169 career regular season receptions to date, only 15 of them were caught 20 or more yards down the field. Those 15, by the way, came on 35 total deep pass attempts in his direction.

While ultra-deep pass receptions of 20 yards or longer is one thing, Smith-Schuster also has registered just 27 total receptions via passes in which the football traveled more than 15 yards in the air past the original line of scrimmage so far during his NFL career. It is worth pointing out, however, that Smith-Schuster enters his third season in the NFL with a 55.1% catch rate on those 49 total deep targets greater than 15 yards and that’s a much better rate than now former Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown (37.0%) posted over the course of the last two seasons. In short, Smith-Schuster probably just needs more deep pass targets moving forward and with Brown no longer in the picture, he’s likely to get more.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/sm...ing-offseason/

Re: Smith-Schuster Focused On Becoming A Better Deep Pass Receiver During Offseason

Re: Smith-Schuster Focused On Becoming A Better Deep Pass Receiver During Offseason

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If I recall correctly, that is the exact player that many were angered that the Steelers “didn’t trade up one spot for”.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If I recall correctly, that is the exact player that many were angered that the Steelers “didn’t trade up one spot for”.
    That sounds about right.

I will admit that I was solidly against the Juju pick. Didn't agree with it and had serious doubts he could separate at the NFL level.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Juju only caught 11 passes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Juju only caught 11 passes?
    It was an error..JuJu had 111 catch last year

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I hope the Steelers would have drafted JuJu even if Josh Jones would have been available!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Smith-Schuster Focused On Becoming A Better Deep Pass Receiver During Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It was an error..JuJu had 111 catch last year

- - - Updated - - -

I hope the Steelers would have drafted JuJu even if Josh Jones would have been available!
    Haha, I know, it was just funny, if he only caught 11 passes his TD/catch ratio and YPC would have been ridiculous lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Haha, I know, it was just funny, if he only caught 11 passes his TD/catch ratio and YPC would have been ridiculous lol
    He is great to make 97 TD yards, but TD of 120 yards is impossible!!!