Thread: Baker Mayfield:I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Baker Mayfield:I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Baker Mayfield:I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones

He’s proving not to be so smart himself...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The writer for the Baker interview is the same guy who got Jalen Ramsey to trash NFL players last season

https://www.gq.com/story/jalen-ramse...-nfl-interview

Mayfield's agent and the Browns presumably told him to be careful but after you have finished in third place in the AFC North you have earned the right to speak up

Guessing GQ went for Mayfield after Mahomes had the good sense to turn them down

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The only reason I can think of that Baker would even care enough about the Giants to comment on them when they aren't even in the same conference is to appease OBJ who is probably butthurt over the Giants trading him

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The only reason I can think of that Baker would even care enough about the Giants to comment on them when they aren't even in the same conference is to appease OBJ who is probably butthurt over the Giants trading him
    Yeah but how much shot does Baker need to make to the Giants?

Remember in July..

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think it is a pretty cool interview and Mayfield was/is right. All he said was that scouts overthink things and why draft a QB who doesn't win games super high? Pretty basic stuff.

But I guess we are all back to the essential sports fan conundrum. We want athletes, coaches, and front office types to answer questions in detail and provide us with insight and understanding to the inner-workings of our team. At the same time we do not want them to actually say anything, because it might be controversial, inflammatory, or deviate infinitesimally from the approved cliches everyone has been trained to accept as answers.

Bottom line, Baker talks a ton of shit. Up to this point, everywhere he has gone he has played more than well enough to back up that talk. Talk about distractions, respect, drama, or whatever. But Baker puts up numbers on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think it is a pretty cool interview and Mayfield was/is right. All he said was that scouts overthink things and why draft a QB who doesn't win games super high? Pretty basic stuff.

But I guess we are all back to the essential sports fan conundrum. We want athletes, coaches, and front office types to answer questions in detail and provide us with insight and understanding to the inner-workings of our team. At the same time we do not want them to actually say anything, because it might be controversial, inflammatory, or deviate infinitesimally from the approved cliches everyone has been trained to accept as answers.

Bottom line, Baker talks a ton of shit. Up to this point, everywhere he has gone he has played more than well enough to back up that talk. Talk about distractions, respect, drama, or whatever. But Baker puts up numbers on the field.

That would be one thing if he was talking about a player in his division or even just in your conference .... but talking about a player who is not even in to conference? ... WTF ... Especially you'll never be on the field at the same time that him when your team will play against the Giants

The only thing that Baker has accomplished right now in the NFL it was that he was better than every QB of the Browns in the last 20 years ... Baker had been garbage last year against the teams with a winning record in 2018 ...He need to be better and focus at his team instead of focusing on other teams or on Colin Cowherd's comments on the Browns.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

But I guess we are all back to the essential sports fan conundrum. We want athletes, coaches, and front office types to answer questions in detail and provide us with insight and understanding to the inner-workings of our team. At the same time we do not want them to actually say anything, because it might be controversial, inflammatory, or deviate infinitesimally from the approved cliches everyone has been trained to accept as answers..
    I have reached the point I am no more interested in what athletes or coaches have to say than I am in having Brad Pitt or Leo DeCaprio give me behind the scenes info on their views on life in general and/or the the filming of a Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (which FWIW I thought was very good) in particular. I have come to regard it with few exceptions as self-aggrandizing bullshit.

I just want to enjoy the movie/game and let what is on film/video speak for itself or be reviewed by an outsider who is not motivated by self-interest as to how they or the organization that signs their checks performed

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I actually agree with AtlantaDan's sentiments. I really only find out about most of the stuff commentators and athletes say by reading through it on this message board.

It just continually shocks me how upset it makes people. I mean how are people constantly surprised/shocked/angered/whatever that a bunch of ego driven 25-35 year old narcissists (which you basically have to be to be a successful pro athlete) say "inflammatory" things when you shove a microphone in their face. Like what part of that isn't totally predictable?

Honestly, and this is just me, I prefer the guys that say what is actually on their mind (no matter how ridiculous or stupid it may be) than the guys who just go out and offer up the same old tired sports cliches.

I actually agree with AtlantaDan's sentiments. I really only find out about most of the stuff commentators and athletes say by reading through it on this message board.

It just continually shocks me how upset it makes people. I mean how are people constantly surprised/shocked/angered/whatever that a bunch of ego driven 25-35 year old narcissists (which you basically have to be to be a successful pro athlete) say "inflammatory" things when you shove a microphone in their face. Like what part of that isn't totally predictable?

Honestly, and this is just me, I prefer the guys that say what is actually on their mind (no matter how ridiculous or stupid it may be) than the guys who just go out and offer up the same old tired sports cliches.
    But if you are to make a shot at a player, at least there is a player that you will play against often and you will be on the same field as him ... Not a guy who is in another conference and you will never be on the field at the same time as him!

To win, it's better than you say cliches, otherwise it can become a circus ... Remember the Rex Ryan era with the Jets ... It worked early, but when they stopped to have success, it was over and it was a real circus

At least they had won a something before doing trash talk like that ...

Mike Tomlin made a big mistake in 2017 when he talked about the 2 matchups against the Pats.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    But if you are to make a shot at a player, at least there is a player that you will play against often and you will be on the same field as him ... Not a guy who is in another conference and you will never be on the field at the same time as him!

To win, it's better than you say cliches, otherwise it can become a circus ... Remember the Rex Ryan era with the Jets ... It worked early, but when they stopped to have success, it was over and it was a real circus

At least they had won a something before doing trash talk like that ...

Mike Tomlin made a big mistake in 2017 when he talked about the 2 matchups against the Pats.
    We already know we are never going to agree on this. I simply believe that "drama" and "talking" are just almost 100% over-hyped nonsense that the media drives for easy content because most of the talking heads and consumers of talking heads patter are not interested in actually analyzing or understanding why teams are winning and losing NFL games.

It seems that almost universally, I am in the very small minority who thinks that these types of things have a negligible impact on actual game outcomes. That's fine. I may be wrong. But there seem to be many fans of the NFL who have gotten a copy of a set of unwritten rules about who can say what when and about what. I must have never gotten mine. I think it is all pretty damn funny and it is even funnier (again this may be just to me) watching and reading the distraught freak-outs over some stupid arrogant comment that this guy or that guy said.

Put it this way. Help me understand the difference between the two scenarios:

1. A player for an NFL team says something "inflammatory" in an interview and offers "bulletin board material" to an upcoming opponent. This then causes "distractions" for that player and others in the locker-room as they are questioned about it by the media in the weeks and days leading up to the big game. The general consensus is that the more "distracted" team will lose and the less "distracted" team will win.

2. In the weeks leading up to a massive game between division leading opponents a critically important player on one of the teams is experiencing a significantly troubling non-football related crisis (dying family member, a marriage falling apart, baby-mama-drama, whatever) but we (the fans/media) never hear about it. Is that player "distracted" more or less than the player in #1 above? I know when I have gone through big-time life stuff, I have sleep-walked through my work...But that never gets worried or talked about. It is simply like NFL players are football playing robots that are either set on "high-performance" or "distracted" mode.

Sorry. I just don't buy that things are that simple.

Talent is important but I always thought it's harder to win when your team has a lot of distraction,drama, not a good team player, locker room way too loose...There are always times you have to be focused on football and when you have a lot of distractions and drama every week, it becomes hard and tiring for a team.

You can not neglect his things there if you want to be successful as a team in this league ... And yes I know talent is important too.

The problem with Baker is that if he does not play well this year, many will be against him and he will have to live with that ... Games of 3-4 turnovers and a losing record will not be accepted this year ... Will he be able to live with that? ... I do not know, but he has already responded to a comment by Colin Cowherd about Odell in may that Mayfield had not appreciated ... If the Browns are disappointing, Cowherd will have some for his money and Mayfield will have to live with that.

Odell spoke again about the Giants today ... He can not move on from this trade!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

At this point, let the Stains and the Raiders, Cowgirls (Zeke holdout, Dak contract, Jerrah stupidity etc) get all the scrutiny and publicity right now.

I am just tired of the Steelers being in the "bad" news for the past few years.

Is it September yet???

Baker Mayfield was 1-5 against team with a winning record last year(and his stats was not good in his game) and also he had only one win outside of Ohio last year!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There’s a difference between confidence and cockiness and Mayfield is the latter. There’s no one other than AB that I want to fail more than Mayfield this season.

I really want Mayfield to throw for like 4K yards and 30+ TDs. Just absolutely light it up. And keep spewing a steady stream of nonsense while doing it. The NFL needs a non-vanilla "star" to come in and shake things up.

I latter day Jim McMahon would make things far more fun and entertaining than they are now. If for no other reason than seeing 21st century NFL media and social media absolutely lose their minds about how "this is not what is done in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE."

I can't wait. It is going to be great.

I really want Mayfield to throw for like 4K yards and 30+ TDs. Just absolutely light it up. And keep spewing a steady stream of nonsense while doing it. The NFL needs a non-vanilla "star" to come in and shake things up.

I latter day Jim McMahon would make things far more fun and entertaining than they are now. If for no other reason than seeing 21st century NFL media and social media absolutely lose their minds about how "this is not what is done in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE."

I can't wait. It is going to be great.
    It's just not realistic

And if at least Mayfield would take a shot at a player who was playing defense and who was in the same division or even conference and who was in your schedule, that would have been a thing ... But take a shot at a player who is in another conference?..This is soft

It's just not realistic

And if at least Mayfield would take a shot at a player who was playing defense and who was in the same division or even conference and who was in your schedule, that would have been a thing ... But take a shot at a player who is in another conference?..This is soft
    Of course if he was inclined to do it Jones (6'5" 220) could kick Baker's ass

It's just not realistic

Why not? 13 guys passed for 3990+ yards last season. And 9 guys passed for 30 or more TDs.

Baker would only need 300 more yards and 3 TDs more than last season to reach both those benchmarks. I mean that is 5 big plays to Odell + the 2018 Browns offense. Seems pretty doable to me.

Deshaun Watson and Jared Goff were both in the immediate neighborhood of 4K yards and 30 TDs. And I think Baker Mayfield is a better passer than both of those guys. So unless the rest of the Browns offense is a total disaster zone, Mayfield needs 250 yards passing and 2 TDs a game.

Why not? 13 guys passed for 3990+ yards last season. And 9 guys passed for 30 or more TDs.

Baker would only need 300 more yards and 3 TDs more than last season to reach both those benchmarks. I mean that is 5 big plays to Odell + the 2018 Browns offense. Seems pretty doable to me.

Deshaun Watson and Jared Goff were both in the immediate neighborhood of 4K yards and 30 TDs. And I think Baker Mayfield is a better passer than both of those guys. So unless the rest of the Browns offense is a total disaster zone, Mayfield needs 250 yards passing and 2 TDs a game.
    Yes, I was wrong, at least for the stats,since it's realistic.

But if he does not pay attention to what he says and that the Browns do not win (regardless of his stats) a lot including in Cleveland could be against Mayfield, so he needs to be careful, otherwise to say things like that,could turn against him if the Browns do not win, regardless of his stats.

Yes, I was wrong, at least for the stats,since it's realistic.

But if he does not pay attention to what he says and that the Browns do not win (regardless of his stats) a lot including in Cleveland could be against Mayfield, so he needs to be careful, otherwise to say things like that,could turn against him if the Browns do not win, regardless of his stats.
    Well if he hits those stats, the Browns are likely going to be a playoff team.

Additionally, all Baker Mayfield has ever really said is that OBJ is pretty darn good at playing football and that Mayfield is better than Daniel Jones at playing QB. I mean aren't both of those things actually true?

Like I said before, you and I are never going to agree on this type of thing. I find it all pretty hilarious and couldn't care less what happens to Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns. I just think the reactions are hilarious.

Well if he hits those stats, the Browns are likely going to be a playoff team.

Additionally, all Baker Mayfield has ever really said is that OBJ is pretty darn good at playing football and that Mayfield is better than Daniel Jones at playing QB. I mean aren't both of those things actually true?

Like I said before, you and I are never going to agree on this type of thing. I find it all pretty hilarious and couldn't care less what happens to Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns. I just think the reactions are hilarious.
    It's not a guaranteed ... Ben had over 5000 yards and 34 TD last year and the steelers missed the playoffs...Matt Ryan also had almost 5,000 yards (4924 yards) 35 TD, 7 INT, 108.1 QB rating and they finished at 7-9...I can add Kirk Cousins too (over 4200 yards and 30 TD), but the Vikings were a disappointment

My question for the Browns is if they have adversity and the world are against Mayfield and the Browns (which will happen if the Browns have a slow start, because of the hype and several comments from Mayfield as in the post 5 in this thread when he gave a jab to the Giants fan) how the Browns will react especially with an HC rookie if they have adversity early in the season?

It's true that yesterday Baker was without his best 2-3 WR, but he was awful against Tampa Bay ..... Much worse than Daniel Jones....

Baker Mayfield Struggles Without Top Targets In Loss To Bucs

There were plenty of culinary puns coming out of Cleveland out of sheer excitement playing upon the names of quarterback Baker Mayfield and head coach Freddie Kitchens. But, granted, without some of his top receivers, the only thing Mayfield’s offense was cooking last night in a loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was burnt toast.

As the Baltimore Ravens go on to celebrate their truly remarkable and astounding feat of 16 consecutive preseason victories—I can only assume this will find its way into Canton at some point in time—the Cleveland Browns got a cold splash of reality. They should be a better team this year, but it won’t be all smooth sailing.

Now, their defensive front looked pretty dominant at times against the Buccaneers’ front line, particularly Olivier Vernon, who will be going up against Matt Feiler this year for the Steelers at right tackle. Myles Garrett on the other side is no slouch. But they’re not going to win the division with defense.

If the Browns mean to claim the North for literally the first time ever (it’s only been a division since 2002), they’re going to need more out of the offense. It’ll sure help a lot to be playing with Odell Beckham, Jr. and Jarvis Landry, who did not participate in last night’s game, but you need to work with what you have, and there were certainly times were Mayfield simply didn’t look very good.

The second-year quarterback played the entirety of the first half for the Browns, a total of 32 snaps, spanning seven possessions. They averaged a little over 10 yards per drive, 75 in total, with Mayfield going 10 for 26 throwing for 72 yards. He didn’t get into the end zone (the Browns had only four field goals on the day) and ended his day with an interception.

Dare I say it, he hasn’t looked quite as good as Daniel Jones so far this preseason. You may have heard that Mayfield recently expressed disbelief that the New York Giants selected the Ivy Leaguer with the sixth-overall pick, though there was criticism of the Brown for taking him over Sam Darnold as well.

Peyton Manning recently said that Mayfield’s lack of on-field work with Beckham will result in the pair struggling. Drew Stanton, Mayfield’s backup, disagreed. “Peyton was one of those guys that needed those reps because the receiver has to be right here at this spot”, he told Cleveland.com. “Everything was so rehearsed and he was the conductor of that offense. Guys like Odell have that ability where you have a good feel. You know when he sinks his weight or he puts his foot in the ground and he does something you can roll out of it”.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/ba...-loss-to-bucs/

Even Peyton Manning has a concern for the lack of on-field work for Mayfield with OBJ ... Manning knows how important this is to have a great chemistry with your WR.