Thread: Rod Woodson: Ben Needs To Lead; Tomlin Needs To Discipline

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Rod Woodson: Ben Needs To Lead; Tomlin Needs To Discipline

The Steelers can return to the playoffs, Rod Woodson says, but they need their quarterback and head coach to change their approach

After missing the playoffs for the first time since 2013, the Pittsburgh Steelers hope to make amends for a disappointing 2018 season. If they succeed in that endeavor, it will be because of two individuals: Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Tomlin.

“I would like to see (Ben) be a leader of Ben first,” Pro Football Hall of Famer Rod Woodson said on The Zach Gelb Show. “Great leaders normally take the responsibility when things go wrong, even if it’s not their fault. Once you do that, everybody else falls in line. I’d like to see him do that more often.”

Tomlin, meanwhile, needs to be more of a disciplinarian.

“The one thing I can say about Mike: He’s a good coach,” said Woodson, who played for the Steelers from 1987-96. “The only thing I would like to see him do more is have a little more thumbs-down on his players. It’s like having 53 teenagers. If you’ve got 53 teenagers, you’re not going to let your teenagers just run the roost in your house. If they do something wrong, you have to discipline them in some type of manner to catch their attention. I think the same thing has to happen in the locker room. If he does that, he’s going to be fine. I think the football team is in a good position.”

But is it difficult to find a balance between being a “players’ coach,” yet giving tough love?

Woodson says no.

“Players want the discipline. Players want to be challenged. But you have to do it in the right manner,” he said. “Every player can’t be spoken to the same way. As we said in Oakland, you always have to learn your learners. Bill Belichick is a no-nonsense guy – and the players now it. They know what they can and cannot do around Bill. I think they have that same mindset with Mike. I would just like to see Mike (discipline more). When Antonio did his Instagram live feed in the locker room several years ago, the next week he would have been suspended for me if I was the coach.”

Even in the playoffs. Even in the AFC Championship.

“That would have sent the message to everybody else in the locker room,” Woodson said. “You have to send a statement to the players. If you let them start feeling that they can do whatever and there’s no consequences, there’s no disciplinary action at the end of it, it’s just going to escalate. It did escalate for AB. I know AB has more issues outside of that, but I would like to have seen Mike be a little bit tighter, just a little bit tighter with his disciplinary actions with AB and the leaders of the football team. When you start disciplining your leaders, everybody else will start falling in line.”

Click below to listen to Woodson’s interview in its entirety.

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/art...eds-discipline

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Rod Woodson: Ben Needs To Lead; Tomlin Needs To Discipline

Pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

When does the season start..SOON!!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

“The one thing I can say about Mike: He’s a good coach,” said Woodson, who played for the Steelers from 1987-96. “The only thing I would like to see him do more is have a little more thumbs-down on his players. It’s like having 53 teenagers. If you’ve got 53 teenagers, you’re not going to let your teenagers just run the roost in your house.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Colbert basically say the exact same thing fairly recently and a bunch of people absolutely lost their shit over it?

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I definitely agree on Tomlin needing to DISCIPLINE !!!!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Colbert basically say the exact same thing fairly recently and a bunch of people absolutely lost their shit over it?
    Fire Rod Woodson!

I have hope that Tomlin will learn from that...I believe that if a situation like Antonio Brown in 2016 after the playoffs game against KC is happens again, this player needs to not play the next game no matter how big the game is and no matter how good is that player.

This is of course easier to say now, but at the same time, if Brown would not have played the game against the Pats, Tomlin's message would have been that no one is bigger than the team, but since the fine was so slim ($ 10,000) the locker room and the discipline of this team was getting worse and worse.