Thread: Buy Or Sell: Mason Rudolph Will Begin Separating Himself In Backup QB Race In 2nd Preseason Game

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Buy Or Sell: Mason Rudolph Will Begin Separating Himself In Backup QB Race In 2nd Preseason Game

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Buy Or Sell: Mason Rudolph Will Begin Separating Himself In Backup QB Race In 2nd Preseason Game

I’m going to sell on this one.

Rudolph is going up against Chiefs’ borderline starters in this game. Not the Bucs’ fringe third teamers like last week. I expect a bit of struggle from him.

If Rudolph comes out and shreds the Chiefs Defense, the #2 Job is effectively his.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Re: Buy Or Sell: Mason Rudolph Will Begin Separating Himself In Backup QB Race In 2nd Preseason Game

We'll see, but if he looks as good as last game, he should be...

Dobbs wasn't horrible, but he moved the offense more with the deep ball and his feet. I'd like to see more consistency to "marching" the team down the field.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    We'll see, but if he looks as good as last game, he should be...

Dobbs wasn't horrible, but he moved the offense more with the deep ball and his feet. I'd like to see more consistency to "marching" the team down the field.
    I agree, Dobbs wasn't horrible but yes he does look to take his eyes off the WR and look at the rush, then run. Rudolph seems to keep his eyes downfield better, peripherally see the rush and then slide or evade, but always looking to find the downfield WR.

A few quick observations of Dobbs first game for me are:

-The deep throw to Washington was a nice chunk of yardage, but he underthrew him as Washington had at least 5 yards on Hargreaves
    -The approx. 15 yard dig throw to Washington was a good throw in a tight window between coverage. I think his best throw of the night.
    -the 3rd down throw he sailed high, was a bad throw and a bad decision, as the WR was in the midst of 3 defenders
    -The scramble for yardage is again a nice chunk of yardage, but I don't think teams win consistently with running QB's. That was 2 reads and run I recall.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It's the Chiefs defense which somehow may be worse than last year's bottom feeder unit. I'd be concerned if he didn't play well enough to put some distance between him and Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It's the Chiefs defense which somehow may be worse than last year's bottom feeder unit. I'd be concerned if he didn't play well enough to put some distance between him and Dobbs
    I would not be surprised if the chiefs defense is at least average

They changed the DC and they changed several players, so it's going to be a different scheme for this defense, which was necessary, we'll see the results, but we can not judge this defense with what they did last year because they made several changes.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I would not be surprised if the chiefs defense is at least average

They changed the DC and they changed several players, so it's going to be a different scheme for this defense, which was necessary, we'll see the results, but we can not judge this defense with what they did last year because they made several changes.
    They purged most of their best defensive players. That talentless secondary that finished near the bottom lost all their notable players, and their solution was Tyronn Mathieu 4 years past his prime

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m betting the farm on it. Rudolph is taking over after Ben and he’s ready to be #2.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    They purged most of their best defensive players. That talentless secondary that finished near the bottom lost all their notable players, and their solution was Tyronn Mathieu 4 years past his prime
    Their pass defense was fine for the Chiefs last year ... 31st for the yards allowed against the pass, but they were above average for yards per pass attempts and the QB rating for the opponents ..... Major problem for the chiefs defense last year were their awful run defense

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m buying.
    Think he’s better than Dobbs.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Can I lease?

I think Rudolph will win the #2 job, but I still have some reservations about his arm strength and velocity. Rudolph needs a good OL, and he has one in front of him.

On Dobbs, he' too hit or miss to have the sustained drives that lead to touchdowns, but he can make a big play or two during a game.

Devlin Hodges upside intrigues me! He's accurate. He has a good arm. He's seems to read defenses well, and has quick feet. I want to keep him on the team.

Trade Dobbs is possible

I think Dobbs just lost his job to be the backup with his horrible interception at the end of the first half

It's more Dobbs who lost this job that Rudolph won it.

- - - Updated - - -

Dobbs's precision on the 3rd down and 5 was awful too..

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Can I lease?

I think Rudolph will win the #2 job, but I still have some reservations about his arm strength and velocity. Rudolph needs a good OL, and he has one in front of him.

On Dobbs, he' too hit or miss to have the sustained drives that lead to touchdowns, but he can make a big play or two during a game.

Devlin Hodges upside intrigues me! He's accurate. He has a good arm. He's seems to read defenses well, and has quick feet. I want to keep him on the team.
    These three lines are my thoughts exactly. What I don't want, however, is to see either Dobbs or Rudolph gone. Why? if Ben gets hurt, there will be games Rudolph needs to start because Dobbs simply will not be able to win them with his throwing issues. It'd be like playing catch with the opposing defense. Vice-versa, there will also be games that will be an instant loss if Rudolph starts, games we will need Dobbs for the simple reason that he has the arm strength and legs not to allow defenses to set up zone defenses within thirty yards of the LOS and shut down the entire offense, which is exactly what I fear with Rudolph starting a regular season game.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Devlin Hodges is the wildcard that throws a wrench into the whole thing. If he wasn't around, I think the Steelers would've been comfortable going with Rudolph and Dobbs on the depth chart, but Duck Dynasty isn't satisfied being just another camp arm. He's been turning heads in training camp, and playing very well in preseason.

Even if Dobbs falls to #3, it would've been fine, but Hodges' presence puts him in danger of being pushed off the roster completely. What is hurting Dobbs is that his inconsistency is front and center. His accuracy is highly questionable. Dobbs doesn't quite bring enough to the table to warrant keeping him in a roster spot over someone like Rudolph or Hodges.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They’ll still go with Dobbs and Rudolph or Rudolph and Dobbs. That’s the comfort zone and they don’t really go out of that...see Landry Jones...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    These three lines are my thoughts exactly. What I don't want, however, is to see either Dobbs or Rudolph gone. Why? if Ben gets hurt, there will be games Rudolph needs to start because Dobbs simply will not be able to win them with his throwing issues. It'd be like playing catch with the opposing defense. Vice-versa, there will also be games that will be an instant loss if Rudolph starts, games we will need Dobbs for the simple reason that he has the arm strength and legs not to allow defenses to set up zone defenses within thirty yards of the LOS and shut down the entire offense, which is exactly what I fear with Rudolph starting a regular season game.
    I must Say Rudolph showed more arm strength and velocity than in the past, and he's pocket mobility seemed to improve a bit as well. I was impressed. The kid is a competitor who wants to work to get better.

Dobbs in his third season is close to what he's going to be. Too inconstant, and the type who's prone to turnovers. You just cannot win like that.

I pay no attention to QB's who run during the pre-season, as only a few of them can do it once the real bullets start to fly. When Dobbs was inserted for a healthy Ben vs the Raiders, the offense shut down and he wasn't able to make big runs.

Unless Rudolph has a bad 3rd game, he's the back up. I hope to trade Dobbs for something as Hodges is too good to cut, and by his 3rd season, who knows how good he can be.