In the slot. As the dime linebacker. At outside cornerback, strong safety or free.

If it’s in the secondary, Cameron Sutton has played it during his two full seasons plus one preseason with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“Any position feels like home,” Sutton said before practice Wednesday at Saint Vincent.

Sutton has had plenty of homes, even during this training camp. The 2017 third-round pick has served as the first-team “dime” and the second-team nickel, and he’s been on outside corner with the third team.

Sutton played 49 of the Steelers’ 94 defensive snaps last week in their preseason victory against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He started at outside corner and moved to nickel in the second half for the final two series he played.

“I thought he did some solid things,” coach Mike Tomlin said this week. “He’s done some solid things out here playing on the outside. I think just a description of his performance and contributions to this point at this point have been really solid. His versatility is really showing; he’s been above the line outside and inside, and I think that’s useful for him in terms of earning and establishing a role – and obviously useful for us”

Tomlin’s official company line is that Sutton’s 2019 role is not yet defined, and that’s surely true insofar as there are 3˝ weeks until the regular season begins and plenty can happen in terms of injury or performance between now and then.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/cameron-...ole-in-year-3/