Thread: Peter King: Ben Roethlisberger ‘Supremely Motivated To Prove He Can Be Just As Great Without Brown’

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Peter King: Ben Roethlisberger ‘Supremely Motivated To Prove He Can Be Just As Great Without Brown’

For all the talk about new pieces on defense and changes at the wide receiver position, the key to the 2019 season for the Pittsburgh Steelers will be, as it has been for some time, however far quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is able to take them. that’s not to say that he can do it all on his own—even when Drew Brees won the Super Bowl, he has the benefit of an opportunistic defense—but there was still meat on the bone to improve over his 2018 performance.

Even though he through for a league-high and team-record 5129 yards, and a team-record 34 touchdown passes. While those are all good to great number, they don’t tell everything there is to tell, and the rest of the league seemed to agree, as he did not even make it into the Pro Bowl. It’s not known whether or not he was an alternate and declined to go, it must be said.

But the biggest question for him this season, as posed by those on the outside, is whether or not the offense can be as good—whether or not he can be good—without wide receiver Antonio Brown, the perennial All-Pro who went AWOL starting at the end of last season and has seemingly had a building mental or emotional breakdown since then, both before and after he forced a trade to the Oakland Raiders.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/pe...without-brown/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Peter King: Ben Roethlisberger ‘Supremely Motivated To Prove He Can Be Just As Great Without Brown’

I feel like Ben doesn’t really care about that...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Re: Peter King: Ben Roethlisberger ‘Supremely Motivated To Prove He Can Be Just As Great Without Brown’

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I feel like Ben doesn’t really care about that...lol
    Especially he had proved that before he could be very good without Brown ... He just need to prove he is still a very good QB at 37 years old.

Another player Cowher discussed was Ben Roethlisberger, who won a Super Bowl with Cowher in 2005, Big Ben's second NFL season. Cowher, who will return to Pittsburgh on Sept. 29 for his induction into the Steelers' Hall of Honor, is expecting a big season from Big Ben in 2019.

"I think he looks pretty good," Cowher said of Roethlisberger, who is embarking on his 16th NFL season. "When you see him in training camp, I think he looks like he's in shape. His biggest thing is not to try to do too much. Because it's very natural to want to show that 'Hey, we can still win without Antonio Brown and without Le'Veon Bell. And I can still spread the ball around.' Just be careful you don't try to do too much. I think that would be the biggest thing for him. I still think he can make all the throws, he can still get around, move around, and he still has a great feel for the game."

read more

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...-in-the-media/

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben was "good" with Brown.

He was great with a multitude of unselfish receivers around him. Two rings with Hines Ward and the likes of Nate Washington, Cedrick Wilson, and Randle El at wideout. Zero rings with Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Zero rings with Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.
    and Emmanuel Sanders...

Junior Member Array title="s4morris is an unknown quantity at this point">

Maybe Ben made Brown look good......

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ben was "good" with Brown.

He was great with a multitude of unselfish receivers around him. Two rings with Hines Ward and the likes of Nate Washington, Cedrick Wilson, and Randle El at wideout. Zero rings with Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.
    He shouldve has one with AB, MW and Sanders had Mendenhall not fumbled it away...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Marino didn't win any with Clayton and Duper.
    Vikings never won with Carter/Reed/Moss.
    Seahawks never won with Steve Largent.
    Oilers never won with all those WRs of the Warren Moon years.
    Lions never won with Calvin Johnson.

I mean, we can do this all day. A team can assemble all the talent, do almost everything right, and still never sniff a SB. I mean I guess you could draw the conclusion that WR is not important in winning a SB. Or we could look at Max McGee, the "Ghost to the Post", the "Helmet Catch", Stallworth and Swann, Rice and Taylor, and a long list of others and conclude that WR is super important.

Most likely the cause of winning a Super Bowl is complex and mutli-faceted and can not be distilled down to one single thing.