Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank The Lucky Stars For Bud Depree!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Thank The Lucky Stars For Bud Depree!

We could have drafted Shane Ray instead of him who I wanted that just got cut.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Thank The Lucky Stars For Bud Depree!

I know Bud takes a lot of heat around here, and probably rightly so, but I am thankful we have him. Maybe I’m just drinking the cool aid but I think he’s going to have a really good year.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I know Bud takes a lot of heat around here, and probably rightly so, but I am thankful we have him. Maybe I’m just drinking the cool aid but I think he’s going to have a really good year.
    I agree with you and always was a decent player. I think he will have a good year as well.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I agree with you and always was a decent player. I think he will have a good year as well.
    everyone criticizes the Dupree selection but when you look at who was drafted after him we could have done a lot worse:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/...s-pick-by-pick

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They could have also gotten Byron Jones, who I wanted with the pick at the time. He got 2nd team all-pro last year. They also could have gotten Landon Collins who has been first team all-pro. Works both ways.

There seems to be a mindset on here that simply taking up space for a period of time and not being outright comically bad is good enough. There is also a mindset to justify underwhelming performance by pointing to the failures of others.

Let's just say this, I am thankful they have TJ Watt, a player that has actually made a meaningful impact on the team

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    My prediction is that he'll have a nagging injury that keeps him out of 3 or 4 non-consecutive games, and he will have very little impact, and people will be shameless apologists for him once again. If he sleepwalks into the standard 5 or 6 sacks that you get just for showing up, there will be talk of re-signing him for upwards of $10 million a year, and before you know it we will make the 50-IQ play and actually do it. Pisses me off already, because you know it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    everyone criticizes the Dupree selection but when you look at who was drafted after him we could have done a lot worse:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/...s-pick-by-pick
    Look at who we drafted next. We've already got the "doing even worse" part covered.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    They could have also gotten Byron Jones, who I wanted with the pick at the time. He got 2nd team all-pro last year. They also could have gotten Landon Collins who has been first team all-pro. Works both ways.

There seems to be a mindset on here that simply taking up space for a period of time and not being outright comically bad is good enough. There is also a mindset to justify underwhelming performance by pointing to the failures of others.

Let's just say this, I am thankful they have TJ Watt, a player that has actually made a meaningful impact on the team
    NO FUCKING SHIT.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    My prediction is that he'll have a nagging injury that keeps him out of 3 or 4 non-consecutive games, and he will have very little impact, and people will be shameless apologists for him once again. If he sleepwalks into the standard 5 or 6 sacks that you get just for showing up, there will be talk of re-signing him for upwards of $10 million a year, and before you know it we will make the 50-IQ play and actually do it. Pisses me off already, because you know it's true.

Look at who we drafted next. We've already got the "doing even worse" part covered.

NO FUCKING SHIT.
    It reminds me of The Incredibles

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4rHQsK4IKDU
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The chances that the Steelers had a chance to draft a player that was worth a first round pick in 2015 was 22 was slim .... Slim as 15-20% on we look at the next 20 pick in this draft?

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...2015/draft.htm

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    There's also another mindset around here that dictates that every single draft pick turn out to be a future HOFer otherwise the FO is completely clueless and requires a wholesale housecleaning on an annual basis.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    There's also another mindset around here that dictates that every single draft pick turn out to be a future HOFer otherwise the FO is completely clueless and requires a wholesale housecleaning on an annual basis.
    I thought that’s the only mindset to have. Draft 7 HOFs every season. Standard is the Standard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

And the related mindset that never acknowledges other players that bust out that the Steelers were supposedly stupid for not drafting. Every other DT from Hargrave’s draft class comes to mind. Malik Jefferson. And I know I was a big Spence and Nkdimichi guy. Glad that didn’t happpen.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A few thoughts about that draft.

1. I was blind for Marcus Peters. It was him... and no one else.

2. In R2, I wanted the very, very, very raw pass-rusher out of LSU. (He wasn’t on many people’s radar.) Once we drafted Bud, I knew that it wasn’t happening... but, watching two more picks go by and Hunter still on the board pained me.

3. Neither of those is a “hindsight is 20/20” thing. (see : below)

3-a. But, in hindsight, trading up for Peters would have been a good use of that R2 pick. Then again, considering our recent history with diva players... maybe not.

4. Tomlin desperately tried to trade up for Landon Collins, but by trading up the year prior (for Landry Jones) he didn’t have the capital that he needed to make the move.

5. Tomlin loved Vic Beasley. L-O-V-E-D him!!! But, as often happens, he showed his hand, and that player got snagged away from him.

As stated earlier...
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...015-nfl-draft/

I wanted Marcus Peters too, but fortunately they have not had the chance to drafted him!...Andy Reid was tired of him after 3 seasons and Peters had a very disappointing season on the field last year with the Rams.

And I do not think the steelers would have drafted Peters even if he would have been available because of his history ... Especially since the Steelers had drafted Martavis Bryant the year before and Tomlin and Colbert already knew it was very likely that Bryant misses the first 4 games because of a suspension that was the reason why the steelers drafted Sammie Coates,so I do not think the Steelers wanted to have another caracter problem in their locker room (all the character problem that the steelers had were drafted before 2015)

For the 2015 draft, the Steelers had all their own draft pick I think ... It was in 2014 that the steelers had no 3rd round pick (Our 3rd round draft pick in 2014 was a compensation pick (Dri Archer)) and it was to have Shamarko Thomas in the 2013 draft, not Landry Jones....Landry was with our own pick.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    For the 2015 draft, the Steelers had all their own draft pick I think ... It was in 2014 that the steelers had no 3rd round pick (Our 3rd round draft pick in 2014 was a compensation pick (Dri Archer)) and it was to have Shamarko Thomas in the 2013 draft, not Landry Jones....Landry was with our own pick.
    That is correct. I couldn’t remember which was “our” pick and which we traded for
    (Jones and Shamarko).

I already saw worse too! ... Just saw that the Jets have released their 3rd round draft pick (68th) of this year!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-jachai-polite

The Jets fired their GM in May...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Bud Depree and Big Dan McClure my fav players

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

How about the mindset that, if a high draft pick clearly isn't working out, it's ok to admit it and try to address that rather than sticking it out till the bitter end with that player as the starter-by-default?

Or the mindset that, if the same problem keeps happening repeatedly (Incredible raw talent! Needs coaching to develop into a pro player!), then perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the method you are using to arrive at that point.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I already saw worse too! ... Just saw that the Jets have released their 3rd round draft pick (68th) of this year!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-jachai-polite

The Jets fired their GM in May...
    And the Steelers should’ve realized Snell. That’s why they didn’t. Makes you look like idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And the Steelers should’ve realized Snell. That’s why they didn’t. Makes you look like idiots.
    I'm hoping that Snell is going to be much better in the next off season by losing weight and others thing, but if he's not too much better next year, he'll be gone

Player like James Conner was much better last year that he was in 2017 especially as receiver and in the pass blocking. He had had a good preseason in 2017 as a runner, but he could not catch, so I do not think he would have been ready to be a RB 1 at this time.Last year at this time, I was confident that Conner was ready

Of course, Snell was much worse in this preseason, but I just hope he's going to be a competent RB next year, otherwise he'll be gone...Still not a good draft pick right now but I will hope for the best!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm hoping that Snell is going to be much better in the next off season by losing weight and others thing, but if he's not too much better next year, he'll be gone

Player like James Conner was much better last year that he was in 2017 especially as receiver and in the pass blocking. He had had a good preseason in 2017 as a runner, but he could not catch, so I do not think he would have been ready to be a RB 1 at this time.Last year at this time, I was confident that Conner was ready

Of course, Snell was much worse in this preseason, but I just hope he's going to be a competent RB next year, otherwise he'll be gone...Still not a good draft pick right now but I will hope for the best!
    There may be hope for Snell yet. I was shocked but his testing numbers are very similar to Conners:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...ll?position=RB
    https://www.mockdraftable.com/player...er?position=RB

Of course Conner was still not all the way back from cancer and Benny Snell is supposedly fully healthy....so...gotta hope a full year of NFL training gets him some more explosion and increased strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    There may be hope for Snell yet. I was shocked but his testing numbers are very similar to Conners:

Of course Conner was still not all the way back from cancer and Benny Snell is supposedly fully healthy....so...gotta hope a full year of NFL training gets him some more explosion and increased strength.
    I knew Snell was not fast, but my biggest disappointment with him was that I do not think Snell broke a tackle in the preseason.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I knew Snell was not fast, but my biggest disappointment with him was that I do not think Snell broke a tackle in the preseason.
    Nope, it seemed like you touch him and he just falls right over

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Testing numbers similar to Conner’s.

Mindset appears very different. Don’t remember Conner boasting that “it’s time for James Conner football.”

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

How about the mindset that, if a high draft pick clearly isn't working out, it's ok to admit it and try to address that rather than sticking it out till the bitter end with that player as the starter-by-default?
    I thought you were tired of them taking LBs in the first every year?

Or the mindset that, if the same problem keeps happening repeatedly (Incredible raw talent! Needs coaching to develop into a pro player!), then perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the method you are using to arrive at that point.
    You mean like Devin Bush? He seems to be the genuine article so far. Hopefully he can avoid a near-crippling injury, because Shazier's set the defense back a good 2 seasons at least.

Address it how? There's only 53 guys on the roster and if I recall correctly, your stand is that if a person doesn't have it going by the end of the second year, they're not going to get it. However, had Bud Dupree been cut going into his third year to make room for someone else, it'd be an almost 5 million dollar cap hit. Keeping him on the team is only a 2.5 million dollar cap hit for year three. So, why waste 2.5 million dollars? He's serviceable. Use him and focus on building up other spots that are weaker (like our CBs during that time).

I thought you were tired of them taking LBs in the first every year?

You mean like Devin Bush? He seems to be the genuine article so far. Hopefully he can avoid a near-crippling injury, because Shazier's set the defense back a good 2 seasons at least.
    No, I mean like Bud Dupree. Also Jarvis Jones, Sean Davis, Artie Burns, etc, etc. There is a certain kind of player we seem to love taking and it never works out. Maybe because Carnell Lake couldn't actually teach anyone the stuff that made him a good DB, and Joey Porter yelling at you might get you fired up, but won't make you a better football player.

Bush looks to be a guy who is so talented and has great instincts that he will succeed on his own with minimal help. The way Shazier was too. Those are the kinds of players who seem to succeed for us, the ones who already know how to play their position, not the ones who are amazing raw athletes who have to be re-taught how to play football or some bullshit. We should stop that.

I AM very sick of us taking linebackers in R1 all the time. I don't think you need, nor can you afford to pay, four superstar linebackers. Just a couple star players and a couple solid ones. "But where else can you find solid players than the first round or by paying $15M for a below-average journeyman???" I don't know, but other teams seem to have no problem figuring it out, so you better start looking, dickheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Address it how? There's only 53 guys on the roster and if I recall correctly, your stand is that if a person doesn't have it going by the end of the second year, they're not going to get it. However, had Bud Dupree been cut going into his third year to make room for someone else, it'd be an almost 5 million dollar cap hit. Keeping him on the team is only a 2.5 million dollar cap hit for year three. So, why waste 2.5 million dollars? He's serviceable. Use him and focus on building up other spots that are weaker (like our CBs during that time).
    I don't know. Why waste $10 million?

Like, there is definitely a good argument for keeping a guy like Dupree on the roster for depth in his third year when the price is cheap and if he's not getting in the way of finding a real starting OLB. But once it's clear the guy is a nothing, you acknowledge it and keep looking. Not pin all your hopes on him even harder because of where you drafted him. That's doubling down on a 6. Players like that are bench players by their third year and traded before their fourth.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

No, I mean like Bud Dupree. Also Jarvis Jones, Sean Davis, Artie Burns, etc, etc. There is a certain kind of player we seem to love taking and it never works out. Maybe because Carnell Lake couldn't actually teach anyone the stuff that made him a good DB, and Joey Porter yelling at you might get you fired up, but won't make you a better football player.

Bush looks to be a guy who is so talented and has great instincts that he will succeed on his own with minimal help. The way Shazier was too. Those are the kinds of players who seem to succeed for us, the ones who already know how to play their position, not the ones who are amazing raw athletes who have to be re-taught how to play football or some bullshit. We should stop that.

I AM very sick of us taking linebackers in R1 all the time. I don't think you need, nor can you afford to pay, four superstar linebackers. Just a couple star players and a couple solid ones. "But where else can you find solid players than the first round or by paying $15M for a below-average journeyman???" I don't know, but other teams seem to have no problem figuring it out, so you better start looking, dickheads.

The Steelers have just 2 players in their linebaker who have the potential to be a superstar and it's Watt and Bush who will play a very different role.

The Steelers would not drafted Devin Bush if the Steelers would still have Ryan Shazier .... For Watt, it was a good move even if Dupree would have become a star, since to have a great defense, the pass rush is very important and that takes at least 2 players who can rush the QB in a defense.

In the late 2000s, one of the biggest strengths of this defense was that the Steelers had 2 great pass rusher in Harrison and Woodley and his two players had been 2 of the highest paid players at their position at this time of their contract and the Steelers would not have regretted that if Woodley would have continued to perform at a high level for several years of his contract.

And for Bud Dupree and his 10 million or something like that, it's not that high in the market today .... We are not in 2010!

I mean, if we just look at its position (edge) almost 30 players make at least 10 million a year..We must stop being crazy about that, since the current market is completely different than 10 years ago!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/edge/

And for Bud Dupree and his 10 million or something like that, it's not that high in the market today .... We are not in 2010!

I mean, if we just look at its position (edge) almost 30 players make at least 10 million a year..We must stop being crazy about that, since the current market is completely different than 10 years ago!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/edge/

It is crazy to pay Dupree that. Maybe a couple dozen players make that, but that is the top third of starters. Not mediocre backups, which is the ability level he has shown so far, over an EXTENSIVE evaluation period. Like, he's sucked for half a career for most guys.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I wanted Marcus Peters too, but fortunately they have not had the chance to drafted him!...Andy Reid was tired of him after 3 seasons and Peters had a very disappointing season on the field last year with the Rams.

And I do not think the steelers would have drafted Peters even if he would have been available because of his history ... Especially since the Steelers had drafted Martavis Bryant the year before and Tomlin and Colbert already knew it was very likely that Bryant misses the first 4 games because of a suspension that was the reason why the steelers drafted Sammie Coates,so I do not think the Steelers wanted to have another caracter problem in their locker room (all the character problem that the steelers had were drafted before 2015)

Me three on Peters. With our pass rush, he's would have looked good. I also wanted X Howard over Burns. Major swing and a miss by the Steelers.

- - - Updated - - -

It is crazy to pay Dupree that. Maybe a couple dozen players make that, but that is the top third of starters. Not mediocre backups, which is the ability level he has shown so far, over an EXTENSIVE evaluation period. Like, he's sucked for half a career for most guys.
    I agree. Perhaps a reason why the Steelers kept so many OLB's? Dupree's motor runs hot and cold. No Lamar Woodley contracts for him.