Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers' decision is looking even better in wake of AB's new helmet saga and offseason in Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: The Steelers' decision is looking even better in wake of AB's new helmet saga and offseason in Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I wonder if any of this has changed peoples thoughts about Tomlin as a coach. To think that he has guided this team through a ton of landmines and only had a few of them blow up on him . . . fewer than almost any other coach, it has to say something good about his leadership.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. He had two All-Pros widely considered the #1 player in the league at their position both go haywire and quit the team. That's never happened before to any team in the history of the NFL.

We went from one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl to not even making the playoffs. That's guiding the team straight into the landmine and watching its arms and legs get blown off. I guess he didn't get fired, so by default he gets the "stability" label - but that had more to do with some other guy's incredible (sometimes to a fault) patience than anything he did to help.

Seriously, saying Tomlin navigated a minefield just because he's still there - that's like praising Sideshow Bob for being great at dealing with rakes.

See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: The Steelers' decision is looking even better in wake of AB's new helmet saga and offseason in Oakland

Guy still has mad route running skills on field...he’s still going to tear up the league with Carr...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. He had two All-Pros widely considered the #1 player in the league at their position both go haywire and quit the team. That's never happened before to any team in the history of the NFL.
    I fail to see how that's a reflection on Tomlin as a coach. It's really not his fault they're both head cases and that one of them has already just about worn out his welcome with his new team.

And has Bell even played a down for the Jets yet?

Tomlin more than deserves a good deal of criticism (the loss to the Raiders that wound up keeping them out of the playoffs last year in particular was absolutely inexcusable), but not for those two. They've both got a major case of the "Terrell Owens Shithead Syndrome."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I fail to see how that's a reflection on Tomlin as a coach. It's really not his fault they're both head cases and that one of them has already just about worn out his welcome with his new team.

Tomlin more than deserves a good deal of criticism (the loss to the Raiders that wound up keeping them out of the playoffs last year in particular was absolutely inexcusable), but not for those two. They've both got a major case of the "Terrell Owens Shithead Syndrome."
    Bell did not play in the preseason, but to his credit, Bell was quiet for the most part in this month, especially when compared with Brown ...

We will see how Bell will react when he's going to have some adversity, no matter what (like if the o-line jets have problems, Sam Donald struggles a bit, if Adam Gase's play calling is not good or he uses a RB commited as he often did in his career as HC or OC or if the media in New York criticizes Bell after a bad game by him)

We'll see if Bell will stay quiet if he has some problems like that ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Bell did not play in the preseason, but to his credit, Bell was quiet for the most part in this month, especially when compared with Brown ...

We will see how Bell will react when he's going to have some adversity, no matter what (like if the o-line jets have problems, Sam Donald struggles a bit, if Adam Gase's play calling is not good or he uses a RB commited as he often did in his career as HC or OC or if the media in New York criticizes Bell after a bad game by him)

We'll see if Bell will stay quiet if he has some problems like that ...
    Big deal. He's still a jackass until he proves he isn't in my book. Sitting out the entire preseason with his new team doesn't qualify, especially since he already had a history of starting slow when he didn't take preseason snaps and he played hooky for an entire year on top of everything else.

Big deal. He's still a jackass until he proves he isn't in my book.
    I agree

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You can make a case that it's not Tomlin's "fault" those two guys are idiots. (although that's not open-and-shut either - would one or both cases have turned out differently under someone who was not known as a "player's coach"?)

But that's not really the point either. If you want to say he "guided them through the minefield," to me that means you either figured out how to avoid the shitstorm, or you came out the other end with a positive result. Well, he didn't avoid it, and so far we've got a shitty result. No playoffs, $21M in dead cap space, and almost zero trade value for two All-Pros.

Like, at best, you can say, "I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that the team will get back on track if we give him more time." But it's nonsense to treat him like some big hero when, as far as I can tell, all he did for the situation was stand there and be annoyed by it, and the result of the most recent season was a big fat nothing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

You can make a case that it's not Tomlin's "fault" those two guys are idiots. (although that's not open-and-shut either - would one or both cases have turned out differently under someone who was not known as a "player's coach"?)

But that's not really the point either. If you want to say he "guided them through the minefield," to me that means you either figured out how to avoid the shitstorm, or you came out the other end with a positive result. Well, he didn't avoid it, and so far we've got a shitty result. No playoffs, $21M in dead cap space, and almost zero trade value for two All-Pros.

Like, at best, you can say, "I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that the team will get back on track if we give him more time." But it's nonsense to treat him like some big hero when, as far as I can tell, all he did for the situation was stand there and be annoyed by it, and the result of the most recent season was a big fat nothing.
    The way I see it we basically traded Brown for Devin Bush so we have yet to see what we got in return.

I am not a Tomlin fan but I will not fault him for how he handled Bell and AB. I will fault him for the way he handled many other things including James Harrison.

Looking back, I would have traded Brown after the 2016 season like the Steelers had done in the case of Santonio Holmes during the 2010 off season ... And of course the other teams offers would have been much better at this time in 2017.

We can not go back in this situation, but even if Tomlin, Colbert and other members of the management will not admit, they surely regret how they handled the situation with Brown in the last couple years... Waited too long before trade him, but it's thing of the past now.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Looking back, I would have traded Brown after the 2016 season like the Steelers had done in the case of Santonio Holmes during the 2010 off season ... And of course the other teams offers would have been much better at this time in 2017.

We can not go back in this situation, but even if Tomlin, Colbert and other members of the management will not admit, they surely regret how they handled the situation with Brown in the last couple years... Waited too long before trade him, but it's thing of the past now.
    Hindsight is 20/20

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Bryant
    Wallace
    Holmes
    AB
    Bell
    Haley

All productive and capable with Steelers. Left and went nutso. Some fell out of the league. One can’t seem to work well with others. Bell will probably be okay. Wallace was “meh”.

At some point we might have to start thinking that maybe Tomlin gets the most out of miserable jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Bryant
    Wallace
    Holmes
    AB
    Bell
    Haley

All productive and capable with Steelers. Left and went nutso. Some fell out of the league. One can’t seem to work well with others. Bell will probably be okay. Wallace was “meh”.

At some point we might have to start thinking that maybe Tomlin gets the most out of miserable jerks.
    Looks to me like we keep churning through receivers who are idiots, and are constantly drafting more, and about half of them turn out to be productive, so we win by pure volume.

Having a good QB in one place but not the other likely has a lot to do with it also, except when you are simply so stupid that you can't go without smoking weed for more than 5 minutes. I guess at least we pulled the ripcord on THAT one in time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bryant
    Wallace
    Holmes
    AB
    Bell
    Haley

Or maybe something is wrong with the Steelers character evaluation process...

Personally, I think the deterioration with both of them would have happened even faster with a head coach who has a reputation of being a hard ass.

Point taken. However, is the lack of value received for their respective departures a reflection on Tomlin or Colbert?

Oh, trust me, I certainly wasn't trying to make Tomlin out to be a hero. As far as I'm concerned, his seat should be plenty warm and he should be coaching for his job at this point. Another season without a playoff berth, or even another one-and-done postseason appearance should close the book on the Tomlin era, IMO.

I just think AB and Bell would have flaked out regardless of location and HC, that's all. The Raiders are already finding that out. And if Bell's numbers drop precipitously and he reverts back to showing more interest in his budding Hip-Hop "career" than playing football again, that will pretty much clinch it, as far as I'm concerned.

Bryant
    Wallace
    Holmes
    AB
    Bell
    Haley

Problems were that the locker room of the steelers were way too much toxic in the last couple years ... It can't happen and it wastes talent when something like that happens (The steelers had 32 pro bowls players combined between 2014 to 2018 , most of the NFL but we won nothing because of this circus and the ego)

I mean, maybe Tomlin got too much blame on that, but he does not deserve credit for the way he handled that, since it was not good.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You guys cant have it both ways. You know that thing about cake and eating and something.

You can’t have it that Ryan Clark was right and AB has always been a toxic cancer AND say that Tomlin had no role in getting all universe production and a low level of crap out of him for many years. Either he is a toxic element or he isn’t. If he is, then the fact that it didn’t erupt to a totally unmanageable level until last season needs to be credited to someone. I pick the head coach.

Todd Haley has proven to not be able to work with ANYONE but Todd Haley. Tomlin got him and Ben R to run one of the better offenses in the league for several seasons. Weird how no one wants to think through how that must have worked.

ANyone want to work through WHY so many guys with issues got drafted? Maybe that they knew they had a coach with a track record of making it work with potentially toxic assets?

Nah. Let’s just assume everyone involved was a brain dead moron because that makes for better message board rants.

You guys cant have it both ways. You know that thing about cake and eating and something.

You can’t have it that Ryan Clark was right and AB has always been a toxic cancer AND say that Tomlin had no role in getting all universe production and a low level of crap out of him for many years. Either he is a toxic element or he isn’t. If he is, then the fact that it didn’t erupt to a totally unmanageable level until last season needs to be credited to someone. I pick the head coach.

Todd Haley has proven to not be able to work with ANYONE but Todd Haley. Tomlin got him and Ben R to run one of the better offenses in the league for several seasons. Weird how no one wants to think through how that must have worked.

ANyone want to work through WHY so many guys with issues got drafted? Maybe that they knew they had a coach with a track record of making it work with potentially toxic assets?

Nah. Let’s just assume everyone involved was a brain dead moron because that makes for better message board rants.
    It was just a matter of time before this locker room implode and I said last year that it was one of my big concerns.

If our locker room would not have been toxic as was the case in the killer B's era, especially at the end, the steelers would have had more than 3 playoffs win and an AFC title game with the talent the Steelers had (between 2014 to 2018, the steelers had a combined total of 32 pro bowlers in their team, the most in the NFL)

For Todd Haley, the only one who could stop our offense, was Todd Haley ... So many time, Haley was killing a drive with a stupid screen or a trick play, a draw in front of a wall on a second down and 10 or an extra O-lineman on in the first 2 down in a drive that put us 95% of the time in 3rd down and long!...Haley was a failure ... This is the big reason that Ben had threatened to retire after the 2016 season, it was so bad.Haley's Scheme was very good, but his playcalling was garbage.

For the character ... I think the Steelers are a lot more careful in that since the situation of Martavis Bryant ... If we look at the last 3-4 draft, a lot of good character in this team!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    This past weekend, Benjamin Allbright was tweeting about that. His sources inside of the Raiders organization said that they’d never make another deal with Kevin Colbert.

Really. No joke.
    Why, it's not like we fleeced them for high picks. Both sides got what they deserve. Remember AB hasn't played a down yet, he could be just fine once the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Why, it's not like we fleeced them for high picks. Both sides got what they deserve. Remember AB hasn't played a down yet, he could be just fine once the season starts.
    The Steelers had also traded Martavis Bryant for a 3rd round pick during the draft last year...Martavis had under 300 yards and a another drug suspension last years in his only year with the Raiders...He was also cut by the Raiders before resigning with them after week 1 .... Martavis is right now suspended and he is a free agent right now too.

A much simpler explanation is that we keep acquiring talented morons and that it turns out exactly as expected - they produce for a few seasons and then go Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

What has Tomlin done to improve that from the norm? Stand there and watch it happen? How are we any better off with him in charge versus any other coach? All I see is that we've had a lot of asshole players.

It would be one thing if we were cleaning up with these players, they were lasting longer thane expected, we were constantly in the running for a championship, but what have we done over that span? Consistently underachieved. Been less than the sum of our parts. Sounds about right for a team that goes through a lot of asshole players. No better, no worse. All any of it "proves" is not that Tomlin is great at dealing with asshole players, just that we have them.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Asshole players and coaches have been more productive and competitive under Tomlin than any of the other spots they have resurfaced in the NFL. TBD on AB and Bell, but I predict both will have less statistical success.

Also the Steelers are an annual SB contender. Despite what the doom and gloom Debbie Downers around here would like us all to believe, the Steelers are almost annually one of the 4 best teams in the AFC.

Asshole players and coaches have been more productive and competitive under Tomlin than any of the other spots they have resurfaced in the NFL. TBD on AB and Bell, but I predict both will have less statistical success.

Also the Steelers are an annual SB contender. Despite what the doom and gloom Debbie Downers around here would like us all to believe, the Steelers are almost annually one of the 4 best teams in the AFC.
    The Steelers were a Super Bowl contender because of the talent, but not because of how they performed on the field, especially in big moments.....

The Steelers were a Super Bowl contender because of the talent, but not because of how they performed on the field, especially in big moments.....
    Wait? What? They are SB contenders because they make the playoffs.

The amount of hair splitting and goal post moving people are willing to engage in to support Tomlin and the Steelers being terrible is kinda fascinating.

Recent events are demonstrating that the Steelers recent "superstar" talent was/is really hard to manage. Tomlin seems to have done a decent job of keeping a lid on disaster until he (likely no one) couldn't anymore. However, we seem to have returned to the "SB or Bust" benchmark of evaluation. Like I have previously said, I reject the idea that anything short of a SB victory/appearance is a "bad" or "unacceptable" outcome. Getting to a SB is really really really hard and requires that almost NOTHING goes wrong and almost EVERYTHING breaks your way.

I just think AB and Bell would have flaked out regardless of location and HC, that's all. The Raiders are already finding that out. And if Bell's numbers drop precipitously and he reverts back to showing more interest in his budding Hip-Hop "career" than playing football again, that will pretty much clinch it, as far as I'm concerned.
    I think you're right about that. Which was kind of my point - these guys were meatheads and they did what meatheads do. With the possible exception of Brown, I don't see how any of them lasted any longer or did any better because of Tomlin than they would have otherwise. They were all like three years and then went off the deep end. Brown had a bit of a delayed start where I think he actually felt the need to prove himself ... then boom, three years and off the deep end.

I don't think Tomlin IS the problem, I just don't think he solved any problems with egotistical players. He just happened to be there while they melted down like they always do.

He doesn't deserve any credit OR blame for the diva players, but some people want to give him extra credit and that's dumb. The only thing that the coach ought to get credit for is wins and losses, and more importantly, postseason success, and who really cares how or why you got there. We've been underperforming in that category, and that's what counts.

The shitty trade value and cap fallout of the Bell/Brown situation is entirely on Colbert (and Rooney), not Tomlin. We really shot ourselves in the face with whatever self-imposed deadline we gave ourselves to move Brown. Even playing hardball a little bit would have netted us an extra first-round pick minimum. Like, there is no reason we STILL couldn't have him inactive and be fielding offers for him. Although with 6 months to make a deal, I would've certainly expected to get a worthwhile offer long ago. Just do nothing, that's all we had to do. Stupid.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

OR Maybe they THOUGHT they had a coach with a track record of making it work with potentially toxic assets?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    OR Maybe they THOUGHT they had a coach with a track record of making it work with potentially toxic assets?
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BrowAn04.htm

That kinda speaks for itself.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I really want to know what Tomlin/Colbert/Rooney, could have realistically done with the "Bell" situation...They made him an offer....a good offer...he said no. They tagged him....he said no. What else would you critics have done? Held him prisoner? Boy that would probably work.

Wait? What? They are SB contenders because they make the playoffs.

The amount of hair splitting and goal post moving people are willing to engage in to support Tomlin and the Steelers being terrible is kinda fascinating.

Recent events are demonstrating that the Steelers recent "superstar" talent was/is really hard to manage. Tomlin seems to have done a decent job of keeping a lid on disaster until he (likely no one) couldn't anymore. However, we seem to have returned to the "SB or Bust" benchmark of evaluation. Like I have previously said, I reject the idea that anything short of a SB victory/appearance is a "bad" or "unacceptable" outcome. Getting to a SB is really really really hard and requires that almost NOTHING goes wrong and almost EVERYTHING breaks your way.
    Not every team who make the playoffs are true super bowl contenders

And the steelers had more break on their side than the opposite, especially in the must win game or playoffs games.

I mean, 2015, the Steelers have to say a big thank you to Rex Ryan and his team for beating the Bills otherwise no playoffs ... What about 2016 without the immaculate extension by Brown, we would have needed the team that hates us the most ( Bengals) helps the Steelers in week 17 to just make the playoffs

The bad break was in Denver in 2015, but it's nothing like the terrible break that the saints and Sean Payton have had in this decade in the playoffs!

3 of his losses (49ers, Vikings and Rams) were just heartbreaking and it was all against great competition (their last 4 playoffs loss was against a 13-3 team)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I really want to know what Tomlin/Colbert/Rooney, could have realistically done with the "Bell" situation...They made him an offer....a good offer...he said no. They tagged him....he said no. What else would you critics have done? Held him prisoner? Boy that would probably work.
    In 2018, when it was obvious that Bell wanted to leave (remember his comments before our playoff game against the Jaguars) and that his salary demands were way too high, I would try to trade Bell in March after putting the franchise TAG on him as the Chiefs did with Dee Ford and the seahawks did with Frank Clark in this offseason

I would have given permission at Bell talking with other teams and after I made a trade with one of the interressed teams like the Seahawks and the Chiefs did with one of their player.

Ok. Cool. We are back to the same arguments that have been made on here a million times before. Shift the goalposts to whatever suits your predetermined conclusion, cherry pick comparisons, and ignore any data that doesn't fit. Good gracious. I think I'm gonna just have to give in and admit that Tomlin is a terrible coach who barely belongs in the NFL, AB needs discipline but also was a toxic jerk from day one, Haley was a terrible offensive coordinator who prevented the Steelers from gaining 10K yards and scoring 35+ points a game, Benny Snail is good, making the playoffs only counts if you make it in a way that makes the fans rigid with arousal and shoot black and gold rainbows out of their ass, and running the ball is the cure to almost every football ailment.

- - - Updated - - -

In 2018, when it was obvious that Bell wanted to leave (remember his comments before our playoff game against the Jaguars) and that his salary demands were way too high, I would try to trade Bell in March after putting the franchise TAG on him as the Chiefs did with Dee Ford and the seahawks did with Frank Clark in this offseason

I would have given permission at Bell talking with other teams and after I made a trade with one of the interressed teams like the Seahawks and the Chiefs did with one of their player.
    Know what the Clark and Ford situations have in common? They happened AFTER Bell didn't play for a year. Prior to that no one had done that ever. In the entire history of the franchise tag. The Steelers, quite reasonably, thought they would get one more 300-400 touch season out of Bell and then dump him on the market. A RB version of Cousins.