Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WR Coach Darryl Drake passed away

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: WR Coach Darryl Drake passed away

One guy I’d seriously consider bringing in to help out right now is DHB... not to replace him as WR coach but just to pick up some of the slack as serve in a leadership role.

I have no idea if DHB is ready to move from trying to still keep the dream alive somewhere as a player, but I think he’d make an excellent coach... especially for us at a time like this.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I can only imagine how emotionally difficult it must be for everyone in the Steelers organization right now, especially coach Tomlin. I’m sure all he wants to do is mourn, but he still has to make some sort of decision on what to do.

I have no idea if they’re in a position to promote someone from within or if they have to look outside the organization. I’d hate to be having to think in those terms at a time like this.

I’d assume they have to assigne his duties to someone who knows the offense. At least for the time being.
    I believe that Fitchner has already been the WR coach of the steelers, but no way the steelers will give this responsibility to Fitchner.....He is already our QB coach too

This news is terrible and heartbreaking, it will be very hard for the players and coach to focus on football in the coming days.

They also have a day off tomorrow (it was supposed to be Tuesday, but they changed that to Monday after this news)

I can only imagine how emotionally difficult it must be for everyone in the Steelers organization right now, especially coach Tomlin. I’m sure all he wants to do is mourn, but he still has to make some sort of decision on what to do.

I have no idea if they’re in a position to promote someone from within or if they have to look outside the organization. I’d hate to be having to think in those terms at a time like this.

I’d assume they have to assigne his duties to someone who knows the offense. At least for the time being.
    Yeah, I have a couple of names in mind I'd like to see come in, but I'll wait to post those until tomorrow out of respect for him and his family even though his family will probably never see this forum. It just feels like the right thing to hold off.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Sorry to here this, guys. This is beyond fans and team affiliation. My condolences to his family.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

One guy I’d seriously consider bringing in to help out right now is DHB... not to replace him as WR coach but just to pick up some of the slack as serve in a leadership role.

I have no idea if DHB is ready to move from trying to still keep the dream alive somewhere as a player, but I think he’d make an excellent coach... especially for us at a time like this.
    DHB was allegedly a “source” last season. I’d bring in Hines Ward before I brought in DHB. They’ll probably just have Fichtner do it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    DHB was allegedly a “source” last season. I’d bring in Hines Ward before I brought in DHB. They’ll probably just have Fichtner do it for now.
    I thought about Ward as well. But he’s been away for awhile and I’m not sure how familiar he is with our current offense, or even what terms he left on.

I didn’t realize DHB was ever confirmed as any kind of malicious source. Only that he was a really good leader.

Besides, what is there to leak at this point? All the sources of internal conflict are gone.

Junior Member Array title="lt194camaroz is an unknown quantity at this point">

Sad sad news. RIP coach Drake. As far as who is going to take over, thats a tough question. I would pick up the phone and see if we could slide Richard Mann out of retirement for 1 more year. I get the idea of Heinz or DHB, but we have the youngest receiving core in the league I believe and these guys need a steady hand to guide them, preferrably with some experience. If we are talking former steelers that dont have any experience I'd like to also add santonio to the mix. He loves this organization.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

RIP coach

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quote Originally Posted by lt194camaroz View Post
    Sad sad news. RIP coach Drake. As far as who is going to take over, thats a tough question. I would pick up the phone and see if we could slide Richard Mann out of retirement for 1 more year. I get the idea of Heinz or DHB, but we have the youngest receiving core in the league I believe and these guys need a steady hand to guide them, preferrably with some experience. If we are talking former steelers that dont have any experience I'd like to also add santonio to the mix. He loves this organization.
    Ward actually does have some coaching experience with the Steelers and then with the Bulls... although Ward did not like his experience with the Bills, and things ended badly.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that one of these guys take over. Only that someone with leadership skills and knowledge of the offense is brought in to help during this difficult time.

It would probably be too much to hope for if coach Mann were to come out of retirement to help for the rest of the season.

I understand some people’s hesitancy to discuss this topic, but imagine what it must be like in the Steelers organization right now. They have no choice but to discuss it even as they react emotionally to his passing.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

damn, this sucks. How did it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I don’t think the exact cause of death has been reported yet.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Video games... obviously.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

WR Coach Darryl Drake passed away

I thought about Ward as well. But he’s been away for awhile and I’m not sure how familiar he is with our current offense, or even what terms he left on.

I didn’t realize DHB was ever confirmed as any kind of malicious source. Only that he was a really good leader.

Besides, what is there to leak at this point? All the sources of internal conflict are gone.
    I thought Ward was in camp last season and this season. Could be mixing my years up though...
    Last edited by 86WARD; 08-12-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I thought Ward was in camp last season and this season. Could be mixing my tears up though...
    Hines is w/the Jets now as an intern.

WR Coach Darryl Drake passed away

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Hines is w/the Jets now as an intern.
    I knew that actually...now that you said that. Ward probably wouldn’t be welcomed anyway because of his comments about Tomlin when they missed the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Notice the absence of a tribute from one particular WR in the league????

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Notice the absence of a tribute from one particular WR in the league????
    To busy finding a helmet that fits his ego

The issue of who might replace coach Drake is addressed a bit in this Q & A from
    Ray Fittipaldo. But he’s probably just speculating.

Hines Ward’s name is mentioned, but as previously said he’s currently interning for the Jets so I don’t know how that would work.

The Steelers do aparantly have a former OC and former receivers’ coach on staff so I’m not sure how quick they’d need to be to bring someone in from the outside.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908120075

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steeler Dan: First of all, condolences go out to the Drake family and the Steelers on the death of Darryl Drake. He touched so many lives in a very positive way. I know it may be too early for this question, but will the Steelers hire a replacement or will someone in house take over coaching the WRs?

Ray Fittipaldo: They will hire someone to replace him. The Steelers are mourning Darryl's loss, but they will be back at practice Tuesday. They'll find a way to move on without him. The Steelers have a few options. Hines Ward spent a lot of time with the Steelers during the 2017 season. He was a training camp intern and also visited practices throughout that season. Some believed Hines might get the job after Richard Mann retired, but Mike Tomlin hired Drake instead. Hines is now a camp intern with the Jets. Ray Sherman has been at camp this summer with the Steelers. He was the OC here in 1998. He was a receivers coach in the league from 2000 until 2015. He is 67. The young assistants are Blaine Stewart and Matt Symmes. Will Gay, who played for the Steelers from 2007-11 and again from 2013-17, is a camp intern this summer and has been working with the receivers.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908120075

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

My perfect solution is to hire Willie Gay to do day to day stuff and ask Mann to come back as a consultant. Get the youth and energy of Gay with Mann's years of experience as a back-stop. Then in the off-season, they will have to do a "proper" search. Anyone who is good at this job is currently employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    My perfect solution is to hire Willie Gay to do day to day stuff and ask Mann to come back as a consultant. Get the youth and energy of Gay with Mann's years of experience as a back-stop. Then in the off-season, they will have to do a "proper" search. Anyone who is good at this job is currently employed.
    I was thinking the same about Mann. Do you think he’d be willing to come back?

If not, maybe Sherman can shoulder the load for one season. With the help of Gay and the other younger guys.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I was thinking the same about Mann. Do you think he’d be willing to come back?

If not, maybe Sherman can shoulder the load for one season. With the help of Gay and the other younger guys.
    No idea. Also, why is Ray Sherman of all people in camp? Like it is cool that guys want to come back and help out -- but can they start bringing in some younger guys with fresh ideas? But that is rant for another time and another thread.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

RIP coach and condolences to his family and friends. By all accounts, he was a great human being.

He will be missed.

What in awful situation for all involved.

Statement from the Drake family

Darryl Drake’s family released the following statement on Monday evening:

It is with heavy hearts that we mourn the loss of our husband, father, grandfather, family member, friend, coach and brother in Christ, Darryl Drake. We would like to express our deepest sentiments of gratitude for the continuous outpouring of concern, love and sympathy. Darryl was a pillar to not only his family, but also to the many lives he touched. Although we are grieving, we remain hopeful and wish to celebrate the life Darryl lived. We are appreciative of the support we have received from the Steelers organization and desire as much privacy as possible at this time. Thank you.

https://www.steelers.com/news/statem...e-drake-family