Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin Layne On Rocky Debut: I See What I Need To Work On

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Justin Layne On Rocky Debut: I See What I Need To Work On

One thing that you have to give credit to rookie cornerback Justin Layne for is trying. The Pittsburgh Steelers third-round draft choice was dealing with an injury heading into the game, missing some practice time, and had to come out before the game to test himself to see if he could go.

With Joe Haden and Steven Nelson resting and Artie Burns and Brian Allen sitting out with injuries, it came down to Layne and Cameron Sutton starting, and Layne logged a ton of snaps. Unfortunately, the total body of work was not the prettiest that you might expect to see.

One thing that you have to give credit to rookie cornerback Justin Layne for is trying. The Pittsburgh Steelers third-round draft choice was dealing with an injury heading into the game, missing some practice time, and had to come out before the game to test himself to see if he could go...........

read more @
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/ju...ed-to-work-on/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Justin Layne On Rocky Debut: I See What I Need To Work On

He did not look comfortable in zone coverage, seemed like he was worried about giving up a big play, also had a horrible missed tackle on Tampa's first TD drive.

Like every player, Layne will get better if he puts the work in. He has only played cornerback for 2 years and wasn't projected to play a lot this year.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He did not look comfortable in zone coverage, seemed like he was worried about giving up a big play, also had a horrible missed tackle on Tampa's first TD drive.

Like every player, Layne will get better if he puts the work in. He has only played cornerback for 2 years and wasn't projected to play a lot this year.
    Yes, it was a major problem

I would like our coaches to trust our corner and challenge the opposing WR more often and not be afraid of big play ... Nothing more frustrating to see the opponents to have easy completion after easy completion, especially in 3rd down and 3

Because of that, the steelers had only ONE offensive drive in the first quarter and 3 drives in the first 28 minutes ... It's so frustrating ... Our corner should be better this year (Layne will probably be our 5th or 6th corner in the team depending on the situation with Burns) so I want to see the Steelers challenged the opposing WR more often, instead of giving easy completion after easy completion ...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

You're talking about a coaching staff that saw it fit to not make any defensive changes after giving up 38 points to Blake Bortles.

The Lebeau/Butler Steelers Defensive philosophy promotes mental reaction and hesitation and not aggressiveness. This may have worked in the 90's when Offenses still used fullbacks and QB's were a lot more conservative, but not in the modern NFL. I believe this is why our Corners have lost so much confidence, even though they have the tools to play. For a defense that promotes not giving up the big play, they still give up the big play anyway through poor tackling and not contesting catches. Joe Haden and Steven Nelson are veteran free agents, so they know what to do. Our homegrown secondary talent has been laughable, because the defensive coaching has been so bad. We stifle these guys to death.

Why? Don't give up the big play? Artie Burns still blows.

If you truly want a better Defense that can keep up with NFL offenses, then Keith Butler has be sent to the golf course. Until then, we can just hope the Defense isn't going to be too atrocious in 2019. Even with the addition of Bush.
    Last edited by Edman; 08-11-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    You're talking about a coaching staff that saw it fit to not make any defensive changes after giving up 38 points to Blake Bortles.

The Lebeau/Butler Steelers Defensive philosophy promotes mental reaction and hesitation and not aggressiveness. This may have worked in the 90's when Offenses still used fullbacks and QB's were a lot more conservative, but not in the modern NFL. I believe this is why our Corners have lost so much confidence, even though they have the tools to play. For a defense that promotes not giving up the big play, they still give up the big play anyway through poor tackling and not contesting catches. Joe Haden and Steven Nelson are veteran free agents, so they know what to do. Our homegrown secondary talent has been laughable, because the defensive coaching has been so bad. We stifle these guys to death.

If you truly want a better Defense that can keep up with NFL offenses, then Keith Butler has be sent to the golf course. Until then, we can just hope the Defense isn't going to be too atrocious in 2019. Even with the addition of Bush.
    I agree with all of this, except send him to the dildo factory instead of the golf course.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Our big play allowed in 2017 was because of the many blow coverage and lack of communication ... Last year, the steelers played a lot more man to man defense (6th in the NFL for that) and we saw less blown coverage but more often our LBs against the WRs, which is very frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I agree with all of this, except send him to the dildo factory instead of the golf course.
    For the golf course ... the reason why he said that is because Butler said the other time that if he's fired,he will be able to play golf!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/st...erage-in-2018/

It might not just be the man versus zone kinda thing. But what kind of coverages you are running from a larger perspective. Looks like the Steelers run a great deal of coverages that this graphic is terming "middle of the field open". I am not sure I am understanding everything properly, but that seems kinda dumb to me. I mean the middle of the field is where NFL passing games make their livings now. "High percentage" throws into "open windows" (the two current watch words of NFL passing attacks) happen between the numbers, not outside the numbers. Heck, let most QBs bomb away with my CB against a WR pinned to the sideline. I like my chances. But guys crossing over the middle or running down the hash with no safeties to help out? That is how offenses are gouging everyone.

Maybe, I am missing something. But it seems pretty simple. Teams want to attack the middle of the field. So put more defenders there. Man or zone may not matter. It is the fundamental principle that the Steelers seem to be focused on not getting beat deep on the outside, while many offenses are focusing on gouging teams in the medium depth over the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/st...erage-in-2018/

It might not just be the man versus zone kinda thing. But what kind of coverages you are running from a larger perspective. Looks like the Steelers run a great deal of coverages that this graphic is terming "middle of the field open". I am not sure I am understanding everything properly, but that seems kinda dumb to me. I mean the middle of the field is where NFL passing games make their livings now. "High percentage" throws into "open windows" (the two current watch words of NFL passing attacks) happen between the numbers, not outside the numbers. Heck, let most QBs bomb away with my CB against a WR pinned to the sideline. I like my chances. But guys crossing over the middle or running down the hash with no safeties to help out? That is how offenses are gouging everyone.

Maybe, I am missing something. But it seems pretty simple. Teams want to attack the middle of the field. So put more defenders there. Man or zone may not matter. It is the fundamental principle that the Steelers seem to be focused on not getting beat deep on the outside, while many offenses are focusing on gouging teams in the medium depth over the middle.
    I would like to have a defense that challenges the receivers opponents ... Of course it always depent of the opposing QB and receivers but to be successful in the NFL, you must give the least easy throw possible for the opponent and not have afraid of big play

Nelson could help the steelers ... He gave some big play last year, but he gave only 53% against him and the opponents had a QB rating around 80 which is very good for a CB .. .The steelers have to play in his strength

If you not challenge the opposing WRs, it's game over

Remember the game between the Chargers and the Patriots in the playoffs last year? ... The Chargers played the zone and it was game over at the half time!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I would like to have a defense that challenges the receivers opponents ... Of course it always depent of the opposing QB and receivers but to be successful in the NFL, you must give the least easy throw possible for the opponent and not have afraid of big play

Nelson could help the steelers ... He gave some big play last year, but he gave only 53% against him and the opponents had a QB rating around 80 which is very good for a CB .. .The steelers have to play in his strength

If you not challenge the opposing WRs, it's game over

Remember the game between the Chargers and the Patriots in the playoffs last year? ... The Chargers played the zone and it was game over at the half time!
    Read through the linked graphics. The Steelers played some of the MOST man coverages in 2018 and LEAST zone. Let’s assume that that means an easy divide between “challenging” (man) and “off” (zone”. IF (big assumption) that is the case, then the Steelers were aggressive and challenging.

But what we see is that they are doing that out of coverage concepts that roll the safeties and other defenders away from the middle of the field. SO perhaps the problem is NOT as simple as just getting up on the line and challenging receivers, but a defensive philosophy that prioritizes taking plays away outside the numbers but exposes itself to big plays over the middle. The interesting question is that the fault of the scheme or the guys playing the scheme? For instance if Davis, Edmunds, and Bush represent a massive upgrade in 2019 — does the coverage results over the middle improve even through the scheme doesnt change? Or does the fact that the outside corners do not involve Sensabaugh or Burns, allow the safeties to be deployed in different ways?

My limited point is that there is much more that goes into all this than just seeing a cushion on your TV screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Read through the linked graphics. The Steelers played some of the MOST man coverages in 2018 and LEAST zone. Let’s assume that that means an easy divide between “challenging” (man) and “off” (zone”. IF (big assumption) that is the case, then the Steelers were aggressive and challenging.

But what we see is that they are doing that out of coverage concepts that roll the safeties and other defenders away from the middle of the field. SO perhaps the problem is NOT as simple as just getting up on the line and challenging receivers, but a defensive philosophy that prioritizes taking plays away outside the numbers but exposes itself to big plays over the middle. The interesting question is that the fault of the scheme or the guys playing the scheme? For instance if Davis, Edmunds, and Bush represent a massive upgrade in 2019 — does the coverage results over the middle improve even through the scheme doesnt change? Or does the fact that the outside corners do not involve Sensabaugh or Burns, allow the safeties to be deployed in different ways?

My limited point is that there is much more that goes into all this than just seeing a cushion on your TV screen.
    Yeah, as I said in post 7 in this thread, I knew that last year the steelers were playing more man to man defense

With the addition of Nelson, they have a CB more than the steelers can trust, so it needs to continue...But I do not want to see a LB against a WR in the slot, no matter what, since you will lose this matchup every time with an easy pass in the middle for the opposing QB.

In the game against Tampa on Friday, Layne was way too much off coverage even in the 3rd down and 3 situation, it's frustrating since it's an easy completion for the opponent and that's one of the big reason why the steelers have only had 1 offensive drive in the first quarter and 3 in the first 28 minutes

NFL preseason debut ‘looked a little big’ for Steelers CB Justin Layne, who vows to adjust

Justin Layne acknowledged nerves all day Friday leading up to his NFL preseason debut.

“Oh yeah!” the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie cornerback said of being nervous. “Everything about it – walking into the stadium, driving in, checking in – all that. It’s crazy.

“But hey, I got to learn.”

By his own admission and that of his head coach, Layne still has plenty to learn if he is to become a viable NFL defensive back, at least if his play in his first preseason game is any indication. According to Pro Football Focus, eight of the nine passes thrown to a receiver whom Layne had in coverage were completed, gaining 80 yards and a touchdown.

But both Layne and coach Mike Tomlin seem satisfied that growing pains are part of the process for the third-round pick from Michigan State.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/nfl-pres...ows-to-adjust/

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Play him in press coverage every down he plays this preseason.
    Find out if he has the skills for it.
    Playing him off the receiver didn’t look good.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Some fans are just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Play him in press coverage every down he plays this preseason.
    Find out if he has the skills for it.
    Playing him off the receiver didn’t look good.
    I agree...His problem vs Tampa Bay was when he was off coverage.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Some fans are just dumb.

Yes they are.

I guess he should empty his locker and get a job at Best Buy.

I just don't understand the minds of some fans.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Bustin Layne

Paul Zeise mailbag: Is it too early to declare Justin Layne a bust?

Mike: Why are the Steelers so bad at picking corners? This Justin Layne looks like Artie Burns, the second coming.

Paul: Wait, you are already declaring Justin Layne a bust after a tough half in his first preseason game? Holy heck, I hope you aren’t a boss; you’d fire them by the end of their first day! It is incredible that people are so quick to make judgments about players before they have a chance to prove themselves. He has to learn what he is doing first and then take the next step toward performing. Give him some time. I mean, can we at least wait until he plays a full season before we decide what he is? In general you are right — the Steelers haven’t been great at picking corners — but let’s give Layne a shot to prove himself.

read more

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908140089

So many would have needed to do this before our first pre-season game!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Paul Zeise mailbag: Is it too early to declare Justin Layne a bust?

Mike: Why are the Steelers so bad at picking corners? This Justin Layne looks like Artie Burns, the second coming.

Paul: Wait, you are already declaring Justin Layne a bust after a tough half in his first preseason game? Holy heck, I hope you aren’t a boss; you’d fire them by the end of their first day! It is incredible that people are so quick to make judgments about players before they have a chance to prove themselves. He has to learn what he is doing first and then take the next step toward performing. Give him some time. I mean, can we at least wait until he plays a full season before we decide what he is? In general you are right — the Steelers haven’t been great at picking corners — but let’s give Layne a shot to prove himself.

read more

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908140089

So many would have needed to do this before our first pre-season game!

Terry was a bust
    1st year Troy was a bust
    How many times was James Harrison cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Terry was a bust
    1st year Troy was a bust
    How many times was James Harrison cut?
    For James Harrison, we have to admit it's amazing that the steelers were lucky that Harrison was cut by the Ravens when he signed there.

A defense with Harrison, Suggs, Ray Lewis, Ngata, Ed Reed, etc. would have been a nightmare for us and every team in the NFL!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

For James Harrison, we have to admit it's amazing that the steelers were lucky that Harrison was cut by the Ravens when he signed there.

A defense with Harrison, Suggs, Ray Lewis, Ngata, Ed Reed, etc. would have been a nightmare for us and every team in the NFL!
    My favorite all time quote comes from Lefty Gomez..."I would rather be lucky than good".

Proof of this. Gary Anderson was Great but missed what is probably the most important kick of his life for the Vikings. The kick would have sent them to the Superbowl. It was the only kick he missed all year. Luck was not on his side that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    My favorite all time quote comes from Lefty Gomez..."I would rather be lucky than good".

Proof of this. Gary Anderson was Great but missed what is probably the most important kick of his life for the Vikings. The kick would have sent them to the Superbowl. It was the only kick he missed all year. Luck was not on his side that night.
    Yeah, Gary Anderson's FG with the Vikings is probably the worst moment in Vikings history and that says a lot since the Vikings have had so many painful moments in their history.

I do not think Cris Carter has yet recovered from this loss! ... But the Vikings still had the lead (27-20 with 2 minutes left in the game) but the Vikings defense was unable to make a last defensive stand .

Yeah, Gary Anderson's FG with the Vikings is probably the worst moment in Vikings history and that says a lot since the Vikings have had so many painful moments in their history.

I do not think Cris Carter has yet recovered from this loss! ... But the Vikings still had the lead (27-20 with 2 minutes left in the game) but the Vikings defense was unable to make a last defensive stand .
    Yes but that is not the point. It was the ONLY kick he missed all season. It may not have won the game but it sure gave them a MUCH better chance.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Preseason Week 1 missed tackles — 9

Justin Layne – 2
    Mark Barron – 1
    Tyson Alualu – 1
    Ola Adeniyi – 1 (missed sack)
    Greg Gilmore – 1
    Terrell Edmunds – 1
    Jordan Dangerfield – 1
    Dravon Askew-Henry – 1

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/st...kles-report-2/

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Give the rookie a break, he is going to make the team.

On the other hand, as Steeler fans we know all too well that our DB's are the weak link, and to see out top rookie DB struggle just sucks.

On Layne he played like he did not want to get beaten deep, offering to much of a cushion. An adjustment needs to be made.

I don't think Layne has really ever played zone coverages before. So we have a situation where an offense is running actual plays. A defense is going out and running comically basic schemes (remember almost every other CB that suited up and played had been signed in a few days or less before the game) AND Layne showed exactly what almost every scouting report said -- too loose, slow to close down, and gives up soft receptions

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-layne

Any scenario where Layne wasn't redshirting this year is and was always going to be a disaster.