Thread: Mike Tomlin Fails First Test In Challenging Plays In 2019 With Teryl Austin

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Mike Tomlin Fails First Test In Challenging Plays In 2019 With Teryl Austin

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Head Coach Mike Tomlin have not successfully challenged a play literally in years. The team is something like 0 for 14 on their current run of failed challenged dating back to the 2016 season.

It reached the point in which they sought outside help this offseason, something that was confirmed earlier on with a report that the team would be hiring somebody to assist with game-day situational scenarios, including challenges.

We later learned that that role would be part of Teryl Austin’s responsibilities. Austin was hired as a senior defensive assistant, a new post on the coaching staff that had been created for him, but his emphasis is in the defensive backfield.

Said Tomlin before the game of Austin, “he’s very adept at the rules and understanding the points of emphasis from a rules standpoint. He’ll provide assistance in some of those areas as well. A lot of that will be developed over the course of the next four weeks during these preseason games”.

As it turned out, the Steelers would challenge one play during the game early in the fourth quarter following a Devlin Hodges touchdown pass to Tevin Jones. On the ensuing kickoff, first-year linebacker Robert Spillane was able to get a fist on the football, dislodging it from the returner’s grasp.

While the initial ruling on the field that the runner was down by contact was incorrect, the reality is that the play never should have been challenged based on the video evidence. Not only was there no visual evidence of a clear recovery of the football by a Steelers player, there was, in fact, clear visual evidence that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had recovered.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/mi...-teryl-austin/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin Fails First Test In Challenging Plays In 2019 With Teryl Austin

Tomlin really needs to get that shit under control. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin really needs to get that shit under control. Lol
    0 for 14 since 2016 in the challenge for Tomlin is really at the level of Marvin Lewis in the challenge flag

I would not be surprised if Tomlin starts having the same treatment in Heinz Field as Andy Reid had at the end in Philadelphia when he was throwing the challenge flag but after that the crowd in Philadelphia had seen the replay, they booed Andy Reid before the referee had made his decision,so Reid had no reason to throw the challenge flag ... Tomlin could have the same treatment on the challenge flag or non challenge flag soon in Pittsburgh(To be honest, Tomlin had taken the right decision not to throwing his challenge flag on Washington's no TD in the first Half, since I believe that Washington's foot was on the line but his challenge in the fourth quarter was so bad, since it was the player of the Bucs who had recovered the fumble ... it was a joke!)

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the play Tomlin challenged and lost on yesterday wasn't even close, there was absolutely no way we were going to win it.

I hope Austin wasn't involved because if he was we are in for another long season of losing challenges.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    0 for 14 since 2016 in the challenge for Tomlin is really at the level of Marvin Lewis in the challenge flag

I would not be surprised if Tomlin starts having the same treatment in Heinz Field as Andy Reid had at the end in Philadelphia when he was throwing the challenge flag but after that the crowd in Philadelphia had seen the replay, they booed Andy Reid before the referee had made his decision,so Reid had no reason to throw the challenge flag ... Tomlin could have the same treatment on the challenge flag or non challenge flag soon in Pittsburgh(To be honest, Tomlin had taken the right decision not to throwing his challenge flag on Washington's no TD in the first Half, since I believe that Washington's foot was on the line but his challenge in the fourth quarter was so bad, since it was the player of the Bucs who had recovered the fumble ... it was a joke!)
    That challenge was to see if there was a change of possession I thought. Arians challenged that the steelers took possession then fumbled again and the Buccs recovered. That would make it 1st and 10 for the Buccs instead of 2nd and 28. I thought it was Arians who challenged that play. Or are talking about a different fumble?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That challenge was to see if there was a change of possession I thought. Arians challenged that the steelers took possession then fumbled again and the Buccs recovered. That would make it 1st and 10 for the Buccs instead of 2nd and 28. I thought it was Arians who challenged that play. Or are talking about a different fumble?
    (14:15 - 4th) C.Boswell kicks 64 yards from PIT 35 to TB 1. B.Wilson to TB 21 for 20 yards (B.Reilly; R.Spillane). PENALTY on TB-T.Hudson, Offensive Holding, 8 yards, enforced at TB 17. Pittsburgh challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands. (Timeout #1.)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401128183

It was on a kickoff return and Tomlin had no chance of winning this challenge since Tampa Bay had recovered this fumble ... This is one of the worst challenges of his career and in NFL history (if we do not consider the timing of the moment) since everyone knew before the referee see this replay that the steelers were going to lose this challenge and a timeout since the bucs had recovered this fumble.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

(14:15 - 4th) C.Boswell kicks 64 yards from PIT 35 to TB 1. B.Wilson to TB 21 for 20 yards (B.Reilly; R.Spillane). PENALTY on TB-T.Hudson, Offensive Holding, 8 yards, enforced at TB 17. Pittsburgh challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands. (Timeout #1.)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401128183

It was on a kickoff return and Tomlin had no chance of winning this challenge since Tampa Bay had recovered this fumble ... This is one of the worst challenges of his career and in NFL history (if we do not consider the timing of the moment) since everyone knew before the referee see this replay that the steelers were going to lose this challenge and a timeout since the bucs had recovered this fumble.
    Gotcha. I was thinking about the OTHER 4th quarter fumble play with a stupid challenge flag. No way was Arians winning his challenge either.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That was such an awful challenge. Like, why?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Inexcusable. He just doesn’t get it.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

You can win bar bets by going the other way. What gives here?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Especially since he probably should have challenged the Washington to tap possible TD in the first half. They never showed a good replay on that and even if he loses, it’s an okay time to use a time out.

I just really wanted to see a replay and they just blew right by it on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Especially since he probably should have challenged the Washington to tap possible TD in the first half. They never showed a good replay on that and even if he loses, it’s an okay time to use a time out.

I just really wanted to see a replay and they just blew right by it on tv.
    For Washington no TD, in my eyes, it was not a TD ... His foot was on the line

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

you're right, one foot was in but the other one was definitely on the line.

But I think it's possible to see a coach being better in the challenge ... Just to look at Andy Reid ... He was awful between 2005 to 2008 in the challenge (Reid was 3-21 in his 4 seasons) but since he is much better.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/ReidAn0.htm

This article was at the end of 2017 and Tomlin was one of the worst in 2015 to 2017

Worst challenge success rates among active head coaches, 2015-2017

1. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers: 3-12 (25.0%)
    2. Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals: 6-20 (30.0%)
    3. Mularkey: 4-13 (30.8%)
    4. Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts: 7-21 (33.3%)
    5. Fox: 5-14 (35.7%)

Main takeaways: The samples are small here, but the key is that Tomlin has really lost his groove. After going 24-for-44 (54.5%) during the first seven seasons of his head-coaching career, he’s just 5-for-18 (27.8%) the last four years. Also, Marrone is still awesome and Mularkey still sucks.

Best challengers in the NFL: Doug Marrone, Mike McCarthy, Ron Rivera, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden

Worst challengers in the NFL: John Fox, Mike Mularkey, Mike Tomlin, Bill O’Brien, Jack Del Rio

read more

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/which-nf...allengers.html

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Yes. I finally saw a good replay of it later. I was just irritated because during the game they showed a single replay and the bottom of the screen was covered by the scroll, so it was impossible to see where his feet were.

I still wish Tomlin had used a time out there. We might have come away with a TD.

But whatever. Chance for Boz to kick an easy FG I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

This article was at the end of 2017 and Tomlin was one of the worst in 2015 to 2017

Worst challenge success rates among active head coaches, 2015-2017

1. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers: 3-12 (25.0%)
    2. Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals: 6-20 (30.0%)
    3. Mularkey: 4-13 (30.8%)
    4. Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts: 7-21 (33.3%)
    5. Fox: 5-14 (35.7%)

Main takeaways: The samples are small here, but the key is that Tomlin has really lost his groove. After going 24-for-44 (54.5%) during the first seven seasons of his head-coaching career, he’s just 5-for-18 (27.8%) the last four years. Also, Marrone is still awesome and Mularkey still sucks.

Best challengers in the NFL: Doug Marrone, Mike McCarthy, Ron Rivera, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden

Worst challengers in the NFL: John Fox, Mike Mularkey, Mike Tomlin, Bill O’Brien, Jack Del Rio

read more

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/which-nf...allengers.html
    I don’t think the stat even shows the whole picture. While there are situations where it’s okay to challenge even if you’ll %90 percent chance lose (like where it’s worth the %10 and a time out is appropriate anyway), from my recollection most of Tomlin’s failed challenges were situationally stupid.

If I’m misremembering, someone please correct me. And I am NOT a “fire Tomlin” guy. I just get very frustrated by his obvious mistakes.

Take away these privileges from Tomlin. Man--I can call these challenge right 60-70% of the time at home with the TV feed I am given. Maybe Tomlin knows the rules, but he doesn't understand how the ref''s are likely to call them?
    Last edited by Six Rings; 08-19-2019 at 06:59 AM.

My bold prediction tonight:Mike Tomlin will win a challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Man--I can call these challenge right 60-70% of the time at home with the TV feed I am given.

Does Tomlin ever ask the player what he thinks before throwing the red flag? Maybe he should.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Does Tomlin ever ask the player what he thinks before throwing the red flag? Maybe he should.
    What player isn’t going to say challenge it though?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He certainly does. In the Tampa game, that’s basically “all” that Tomlin has to go on (the Steelers player was adamant that he got the fumble), because there wasn’t many angles/much video of the actual play.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What player isn’t going to say challenge it though?
    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He certainly does. In the Tampa game, that’s basically “all” that Tomlin has to go on (the Steelers player was adamant that he got the fumble), because there wasn’t many angles/much video of the actual play.
    I actually think that is the biggest reason for Tomlin's failed challenges. He tends to throw the flag in support of his players more than a bit too often. Then both Tomlin and the player are wrong. The other way Tomlin loses challenges is he tends to throw the flag on low percentage things that will have massive yardage or game situation swings if it goes in his favor. He could up his percentage by challenging smaller stuff, but he tends to let a sub 10 yard issue ride and then throws the flag on a 20+ yard issue with a terrible camera angle on the replay.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Well, there had to have been a better angle at the LOS prior to that OPI call vs the Chiefs... 'cause that looked less than even "ticky-tac", imo.

I think the refs just assume Tomlin is wrong at this point. That’s the only justification I can see for not overturning that OPI call.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I think the refs just assume Tomlin is wrong at this point. That’s the only justification I can see for not overturning that OPI call.
    As I said yesterday, Mike Tomlin will never win another challenge in his life, no matter what .... I do not know why but the refs hate Tomlin for no reason!

This OPI was just awful and why have replay when they are not able to have that right?!

Tomlin has not won a challenge since 2016 and I do not know if he'll win another one for the rest of his life as football coach!

I do not know why but the refs hate Tomlin for no reason!

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    It was more Jacoby Jones who was upset with Tomlin .... so much that Jones was a fumble machine in his short time with the steelers!!!

Jacoby Jones had 2 fumbles in the first half as returner against the Colts in 2015 and his career was over for him after his second fumble in this game!