Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: AB a no show at Raiders camp

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

AB a no show at Raiders camp

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It's possible, but at the same time it's not a guarantee for its reasons.

Timing being off, I would buy if you said AB was just 3/4-ing it or because of attitude. Being together for so long, timing wouldn’t be off 4-5 games just because AB missed a training camp. They would’ve picked that timing right back up in a game or maybe two. These are two HOF talents that have played together for how many seasons? They don’t need 4-5 games to get it together. ABs negative attitude snowballing is what threw the timing off.

If AB shows up to play without the drama (big if), he will produce, with Carr, at a high level. Carr is no slouch and you could see a chemistry growing on the field during OTAs. It’s just a matter if AB wants to do it...and again, a big if. But if he shows up to play? No doubt he will be one of the top receivers. There have been receivers with similar talents that have done just fine with less than Derek Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: AB a no show at Raiders camp

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Gruden:...Peter King.
    Tomlin: F*&k Peter King. He's just polishing brass on the Titanic. It's all going down, man! So f*&k off with your head case WRs and your racist O linemen. I say never be complete. Stop being perfect. I say let's evolve! Let the chips fall where they may.
    But that's me and I could be wrong. Maybe it's a terrible tragedy...
    Gruden: Nah. It's just an idiot football player.
    Tomlin: Well, you *did* lose a lot of versatile solutions for offensive game planning...
    Gruden: Nah, you're right. I'm sure the CBA will cover it.
    Tomlin: The divas you own eventually end up owning you.
    TOMLIN: It’s only after you’ve lost AB that you are truly free to win anything.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Timing being off, I would buy if you said AB was just 3/4-ing it or because of attitude. Being together for so long, timing wouldn’t be off 4-5 games just because AB missed a training camp. They would’ve picked that timing right back up in a game or maybe two. These are two HOF talents that have played together for how many seasons? They don’t need 4-5 games to get it together. ABs negative attitude snowballing is what threw the timing off.

If AB shows up to play without the drama (big if), he will produce, with Carr, at a high level. Carr is no slouch and you could see a chemistry growing on the field during OTAs. It’s just a matter if AB wants to do it...and again, a big if. But if he shows up to play? No doubt he will be one of the top receivers. There have been receivers with similar talents that have done just fine with less than Derek Carr.

Top receiver is a very vague term. What do you consider a top receiver?

Are you also taking into affect that even if he decides to play he may not be ready to go from game 1, due to the condition of his feet. From what I am seeing it can take months for that to completely heal. If he rush's back to soon it could be even worse in the long run. Also in the past he has not done well when Ben was out of the lineup. Now he has a new QB to get in sync with. Top receiver...meh maybe. As good or better than he was with Ben, I doubt it. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I see his stats taking a nose dive. I see no signs of the drama going away anytime soon.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Antonio Brown reportedly tried to trick Raiders with bootleg helmet

August 10, 2019
    by Larry Brown

https://larrybrownsports.com/footbal...-helmet/508527

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Top receiver is a very vague term. What do you consider a top receiver?

Are you also taking into affect that even if he decides to play he may not be ready to go from game 1, due to the condition of his feet. From what I am seeing it can take months for that to completely heal. If he rush's back to soon it could be even worse in the long run. Also in the past he has not done well when Ben was out of the lineup. Now he has a new QB to get in sync with. Top receiver...meh maybe. As good or better than he was with Ben, I doubt it. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I see his stats taking a nose dive. I see no signs of the drama going away anytime soon.
    Top receiver in my book is anything from 1-10. I don’t think he will be on the level of the Steelers AB, where he was #1, but he will still be in that category of Hopkins, Jones, Evans, Green, etc IF he shows up to play and play AB ball. The typical WR just fall off the planet, AB is a special talent. I’d be shocked if his numbers were to just drop off like a typical WR. He’s more along the Jerry Rice type curve...

Gruden came out today in full support of Browns helmet ordeal and said the “cold feet” weren’t his fault.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Antonio Brown threatens NFL with liability if he’s injured in a new helmet

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2019

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-new-helmet/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Gruden came out today in full support of Browns helmet ordeal and said the “cold feet” weren’t his fault.
    Which is akin to Katy Kaelin defending OJ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Which is akin to Katy Kaelin defending OJ...
    Or Tomlin coddling him. Just sayin'. I want him gone already.

Tim Benz: Raiders should already regret trading for Antonio Brown

Should any of us be surprised at the nature of the latest Antonio Brown debacle?

I’m not even talking about his allegedly cryotherapy-frostbitten feet.

I’m talking about him pitching a fit and reportedly staying away from the Raiders in part because he’s mad that the NFL is forcing him to play with a new model of helmet.

Am I surprised it reached such a level this quickly in Oakland? Yes. I thought Brown would, at least, wait to flip out until his first regular-season drive without getting a target.

Am I surprised it’s over such a stupid thing as a league-mandated helmet? Yes. Somehow, the foot frostbite surprises me less.

But the genesis of the helmet issue is incredibly consistent with all of Brown’s problems in Pittsburgh. He simply thinks rules don’t apply to him and that he should never have to follow them.

When he is pressed into doing so, he explodes.

Rules about showing up on time for practices, meetings and games.

Rules about blue cleats and end-zone celebrations.

Rules about streaming live out of the locker room.

Rules about the speed limit being under 100 mph on McKnight Road.

Or even the rules of gravity — remember the alleged furniture-throwing incident in Florida.

Now it’s rules about wearing a specific helmet.

Oh, and proper footwear in the cryotherapy chamber.

Enjoy, Oakland. This is exactly what you signed up for. Don’t complain or whine with buyer’s remorse.

So far, head coach Jon Gruden isn’t. Publicly, he’s defending his wide receiver.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...antonio-brown/

Ron Cook: Disappointed Raiders likely can hear the laughter coming from Steelers camp over the Antonio Brown fiasco

For a guy who is known for having one of the greatest work ethics in all of sports, Antonio Brown certainly has been missing a lot of time on the job. He went AWOL before his final game with the Steelers last season in a successful attempt to force a trade and get a new contract. Now, he is skipping out on the Oakland Raiders, who traded for him and gave him a three-year, $50,125,000 deal.

It has been one controversy after another with Mr. Big Chest and the Raiders. First, it was his blistered feet that were allegedly frostbitten in a cryotherapy session gone wrong. Now, it’s a dispute with the NFL over the helmet he prefers to wear. The Raiders have had 11 practices and played an exhibition game so far. Brown was able to do his look-at-me arrival at the team’s Napa, Calif., camp in a hot-air balloon, but he took part briefly in just two early practices before disappearing.
    “I support this guy,” Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Saturday night after an exhibition game against the Los Angeles Rams. “I think that’s what needs to be said.”
    Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

What else can Gruden say?

The Raiders are stuck with Brown now.

Don’t you just love it?

If you listen closely, you can hear the laughter coming from Steelers training camp.

“I think we’re all disappointed,” Gruden acknowledged to ESPN last week after Brown left the team. “We think he’s disappointed. We’d like to get the party started. We’d like to get him out here. He’s a big part of the team.”

The feet fiasco with Brown is bad enough. How he could allow that to happen is almost unfathomable, although Gruden called it a “total accident … It really wasn’t his fault and it’s a serious injury. I know some people are [joking about] it, but it’s really not a laughing matter. The guy was hurt. He’s innocent. He didn’t do anything wrong.”

HelmetGate is even more hysterical. Apparently, Brown’s helmet doesn’t meet the NFL’s safety standards. He threatened to sit out the season or even retire after the league told him he couldn’t wear it.

Sure Brown will.

If you remember, he said he didn’t need football and suggested he might retire after last season, hoping that would hasten his trade from the Steelers, which it did.

“The helmet thing is a personal matter to him,” Gruden said. “He has a strong feeling about what he’s worn on his head. We’re supporting him. We understand the league’s position as well so we’re in a tough spot.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...er_PGSportsNow

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Antonio Brown threatens NFL with liability if he’s injured in a new helmet

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2019

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-new-helmet/
    Link to another article on the grounds for threatened litigation by Team Big Chest being bullshit

If Antonio Brown’s NFL grievance fails, could his insistence on wearing a particular helmet become a legal dispute?

Yes, but the Oakland Raiders wide receiver would face better odds catching a Hail Mary pass than he would convincing a court that he has a legal right to wear his preferred helmet.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/11/an...ntent=20190812

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Or Tomlin coddling him. Just sayin'. I want him gone already.
    Indeed. Tomlin had 21 million reasons to “coddle” AB. It’s not as if Tomlin sought out & traded for this problem...

Steelers staffer on AB84: “I’m just happy he’s not our problem anymore.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is the thing that gets lost in all this - no helmet can really protect you against concussions. In fact, that isn't even why the helmet is decertified. It was/is decertified because it is 10+ years old. I am by no means saying that AB is in the right here, but all this talk about "safer" needs to get held up a bit.

Talking about "safety" is just carrying water for the NFL on the head injury issue. If Helmet A (that isn't a leather helmet) and Helmet B are compared against one another in preventing traumatic brain injury, the stuff I have read indicates it is a few percentage points difference.

Did Steelers know helmet mess was looming for Antonio Brown?

Raiders receiver Antonio Brown wants to wear the helmet he wore during nine seasons with the Steelers. His insistence on getting his way has become one of the strangest off-field stories in recent memory, if not ever.

Here’s an interesting question about the situation: Did the Steelers know that the helmet fight was coming?

Although Brown’s helmet isn’t one of the 11 models that as of this year are banned from use by NFL players, Brown’s helmet simply couldn’t be certified for use again because it’s now more than 10 years old. Last year, it wasn’t. It’s fair to wonder whether someone at some point within the Steelers organization became aware that 2018 was the last year that Brown could wear his helmet of choice.

Given that the Steelers knew Brown’s proclivities and eccentricities as well as anyone, it’s possible that they sensed the coming storm. Avoiding this potential distraction to their 2019 preseason preparations may have been one of the factors in the team’s decision to move on from Brown.

Yes, the perception is that Brown broke up with the Steelers. That he wanted out and got out. But the Steelers may have wanted him out, opting to let him think he was getting his way because the broader objective was just to get him away from the organization

read more

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...antonio-brown/

Florio probably forgot what happened with Brown and the steelers in the last year ...

frostbitten feet, lots of baby mommas, doesn't want to wear a safe helmet.

AB seems to have some serious issues with wearing protection...

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Harris is also a liar...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

AB showed up to Raiders practice. Training camps are over.

Thread closed.