Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Team first attitude is front and center

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Team first attitude is front and center

    It you have been at training camp the past week and paid close attention, there is something you have noticed.

    Itís not something that has happened during any of the drills, nothing that has caused the obligatory Ďoohs and ahhsí from the fans.

    Itís been subtle in some ways, but itís been powerful.

    The entire team, every player, has been on the field lined up and ready to go before the coaches are even ready to sound the horn for the start of practice.

    And it hasnít been by accident. Itís an approach this team is taking during camp, paying attention to details not just on the field but off the field that can make a big difference.

    ďDanger (Jordan Dangerfield) and I were joking the other day,Ē said Bud Dupree. ďWe had a walk through at 10:15 and it was 10:05 and we were walking down the hill and were some of the last guys. We were like, are we late? Everyone is on the line way before the time. It just shows guys are ready to work and hungry for change.

    ďIt was Coach (Mike Tomlin) making an emphasis on guys being on time. Itís what coach wants and guys were like we need to do it. We want to do it.Ē

    During the opening team meeting for camp Ben Roethlisberger was also among those who spoke out about the details, about being early for meetings and practice and how that can impact the fast start of the season. It was a message that he and the coaches have only had to deliver once.

    read more

    https://www.steelers.com/news/team-f...ont-and-center

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,425

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    I think it is absolutely ridiculous that grown ass men have to be told, encouraged, and cajoled/threatened into being on-time for their job duties.

    Sports are just such a weird place. It is a job, but it really isn't -- especially if you are good at what you do!

  3. #3
    Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    2,026

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Some coaches would even go as far to say "if you're only 5 minutes early... you're already 10 minutes late".

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Some coaches would even go as far to say "if you're only 5 minutes early... you're already 10 minutes late".
    In his first season with the Giants in 2004, Tom Coughlin fined Michael Strahan for something like this!

  5. #5
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,042

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous that grown ass men have to be told, encouraged, and cajoled/threatened into being on-time for their job duties.

    Sports are just such a weird place. It is a job, but it really isn't -- especially if you are good at what you do!
    You also have to take into consideration that these guys arenít the most mature people yet. Still me of them are basically college kids. College arenít always known for being on time...




  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,425

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You also have to take into consideration that these guys arenít the most mature people yet. Still me of them are basically college kids. College arenít always known for being on time...
    True. But it's not like you wouldn't get fired from some corporate gig for chronic lateness because you were recently a college student. That all.changes when they start legally paying you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    One bad JuJu Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute"> 43Hitman's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Va
    Gender
    Posts
    6,812

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Some coaches would even go as far to say "if you're only 5 minutes early... you're already 10 minutes late".
    I approach everyday of my life this way. I HATE being late and I really hate it when someone else is late to a meeting with me.






  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    9,221

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Story time!!!

    While filming Se7en, Brad Pitt was habitually late for casting calls. R. Lee Ermey and Morgan Freeman brought Brad aside and told him:

    “You are the highest paid actor on this film... but, you are not yet a star. A star does not keep the hundreds of people on the set waiting; the star realizes that everyone (EVERYONE) on the set has an important job to do... and, when you show up late, you are wasting everyone else’s valuable time.”

    Brad has said that that conversation changed his outlook... turning him from “handsome actor” into the ”star” that he is today.

  9. #9
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    16,226

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Story time!!!

    While filming Se7en, Brad Pitt was habitually late for casting calls. R. Lee Ermey and Morgan Freeman brought Brad aside and told him:

    “You are the highest paid actor on this film... but, you are not yet a star. A star does not keep the hundreds of people on the set waiting; the star realizes that everyone (EVERYONE) on the set has an important job to do... and, when you show up late, you are wasting everyone else’s valuable time.”

    Brad has said that that conversation changed his outlook... turning him from “handsome actor” into the ”star” that he is today.
    Good story.

    R Lee was a real life drill sargent and Morgan Freeman played "God" so the former Mr. Jolie had to listen.



  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center


  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center


  12. #12
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,042

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    True. But it's not like you wouldn't get fired from some corporate gig for chronic lateness because you were recently a college student. That all.changes when they start legally paying you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itís true. But itís hard to compare the football world to the corporate world. Thereís a lot more freedom and down time in the football world. Itís like trying to compare working on the Howard Stern Show to working for Independence Blue Cross/Blue Shield...you canít really compare the two.

    But I understand what you are saying and youíre right.




  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center


  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center


  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,425

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Only if that Culture also has Talent. You can have all the want to and try hard in the world but if you aren't good enough, your schemes aren't sound enough, and you are not physically capable of winning individual match-ups play after play -- you will lose games.

    Revolutionary concepts here. The real world isn't a Disney sports movie.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Only if that Culture also has Talent. You can have all the want to and try hard in the world but if you aren't good enough, your schemes aren't sound enough, and you are not physically capable of winning individual match-ups play after play -- you will lose games.

    Revolutionary concepts here. The real world isn't a Disney sports movie.
    Yet I said all summer that when the subject was about the culture(on other thread) that the talent was also important.I do not want to say that every time the subject is about the importance of culture

    It takes both to win..I know it .... The steelers had both from 2004 to 2010 but they had not both in the Killer B's era

  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,425

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yet I said all summer that when the subject was about the culture(on other thread) that the talent was also important.I do not want to say that every time the subject is about the importance of culture

    It takes both to win..I know it .... The steelers had both from 2004 to 2010 but they had not both in the Killer B's era
    Wasnít aiming at you. Just tired of the cliched and vastly oversimplified narratives in the media. It has been decided that the culture narrative will define the 2019 Steelers. A better narrative might be how a team can lose Bell, AB, Shazier, and 20 million in cap space AND STILL have a darn good roster. That's the foundation of everything else.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wasn’t aiming at you. Just tired of the cliched and vastly oversimplified narratives in the media. It has been decided that the culture narrative will define the 2019 Steelers. A better narrative might be how a team can lose Bell, AB, Shazier, and 20 million in cap space AND STILL have a darn good roster. That's the foundation of everything else.
    I understand your point but some media acted if the steelers have no talent because they lost his players ... They still have talent in this roster ... It's not as if we have no hope!

    And Shazier and Bell did not play a snap with us last year.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    2,212

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Only if that Culture also has Talent. You can have all the want to and try hard in the world but if you aren't good enough, your schemes aren't sound enough, and you are not physically capable of winning individual match-ups play after play -- you will lose games.

    Revolutionary concepts here. The real world isn't a Disney sports movie.
    Oh we got the talent alright. Losing AB hurts the big play ability of the offense, but with that said, it's not lacking in that department. Juju and Conner are pro bowl talents, so is most of our o-line. Ben is a HoF QB. McDonald if he can stay healthy is a solid TE.

    I like what I've seen from Washington and Gentry, they could be ready to contribute this season.

    Defense is on the rise, additions of Barron and Nelson should make them better out of the gate. Edmunds isn't a rookie this year and should take a step forward. Ola looks ready to contribute.

    Boz looks like he's ready to rebound.

    There isn't much not to like about this year's team. I think they will do better than last year. I think this entire squad will have a bright future, for the first time in a while, it looks like we have a really deep roster. Cuts to 53 are going to be challenging for our staff.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Oh we got the talent alright. Losing AB hurts the big play ability of the offense, but with that said, it's not lacking in that department. Juju and Conner are pro bowl talents, so is most of our o-line. Ben is a HoF QB. McDonald if he can stay healthy is a solid TE.

    I like what I've seen from Washington and Gentry, they could be ready to contribute this season.

    Defense is on the rise, additions of Barron and Nelson should make them better out of the gate. Edmunds isn't a rookie this year and should take a step forward. Ola looks ready to contribute.

    Boz looks like he's ready to rebound.

    There isn't much not to like about this year's team. I think they will do better than last year. I think this entire squad will have a bright future, for the first time in a while, it looks like we have a really deep roster. Cuts to 53 are going to be challenging for our staff.
    Yeah the talent is there ... They need to prove that on the field, but the thing I want before each season is to have hope and this is the case again for this team.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,499

    Re: Team first attitude is front and center


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •