Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Devlin Hodges with a A,Rudolph with a B and Dobbs with a C

for more info....

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/20...p-quarterback/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    If I were Steelers brass right now, I'd be shopping both Dobbs and Rudolph to the Colts. They've suddenly become desperate. I think we could bundle one of them with a fifth round pick and get a third round pick back.
    I'm pretty sure the Steelers would never include Rudolph in any such trade...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

If I were Steelers brass right now, I'd be shopping both Dobbs and Rudolph to the Colts. They've suddenly become desperate. I think we could bundle one of them with a fifth round pick and get a third round pick back.
    My thoughts too. The Steelers should game plan for Dobbs and call the plays he does best then trade him. I think we can get a 5th round pick for him. The Colts will be making a lot of calls. Pull the trigger Mr. Colbert.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not sure the Colts aren’t happy with Brissett and Chad Kelly...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not sure the Colts aren’t happy with Brissett and Chad Kelly...
    Jacoby Brissett was not very good in 2017, but I already saw worse than him ... He is much better than Dobbs and he knows their system that it was not the case in 2017 since the Colts had made a trade to have Brissett at the end of August....Brissett should be better than he was in 2017 too, since the Colts have better coaching staff and better roster.

Maybe the Colts will try to find a better backup than Chad Kelly but it's not the same situation like the Vikings were in 2016 when they made a trade for Sam Bradford for a first round pick at the end of August.

The Colts need to evaluate Brissett this year and find a Qb in the off season if Brissett is not a long term solution.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Colts weont give up diddly squat for Dobbs. Brisket is a better version of Dobbs. And Drunk Kelly is a higher upside lottery ticket.

Dobbs has no NFL game film that shows anything positive. Can't trade a preseason hero for anything.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Kyle Sloter should be a Colt as of right now.

But, instead, he’ll be kept as the third-string QB on yet another team where he’s easily the starter.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Dobbs has no NFL game film that shows anything positive. Can't trade a preseason hero for anything.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For reference if anyone cares to read through it. Here are all trades involving QBs for the last 9 years in the NFL.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c..._by=trans_date

Dobbs for a conditional 7th rounder would be about the best anyone could realistically expect at this point. For that return, I would rather keep Dobbs and put Hodges on the practice squad.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

For reference if anyone cares to read through it. Here are all trades involving QBs for the last 9 years in the NFL.

Dobbs for a conditional 7th rounder would be about the best anyone could realistically expect at this point. For that return, I would rather keep Dobbs and put Hodges on the practice squad.
    Agreed. Not going to get much via trade for a guy with a career stat line of 6 of 12, 43 yards 1 INT.

I cant recall the last time the Steelers kept a QB on the PS, can you? Hodges kind of reminds me of Mike Quinn, Steelers 3rd stringer from the 90's who played in NFL Europe. Looks the part and is a strong armed competitor....but nothing says he will be anything more than a backup at best. Another fan favorite because of his story.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agreed. Not going to get much via trade for a guy with a career stat line of 6 of 12, 43 yards 1 INT.

I cant recall the last time the Steelers kept a QB on the PS, can you? Hodges kind of reminds me of Mike Quinn, Steelers 3rd stringer from the 90's who played in NFL Europe. Looks the part and is a strong armed competitor....but nothing says he will be anything more than a backup at best. Another fan favorite because of his story.
    I can't remember either. But I've been won over by the line of discussion I have heard somewhere that you keep the best 60 or so guys you can. I would think that Hodges is in that group. I have not actually watched him play at all. Maybe if he gets cut he is one of those guys that doesn't get signed. I don't know.

I think I would keep him around but I am kinda weird on how I would put together my 53 man roster and PS if I was ever given an NFL team!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

The Steelers in the 90's also let Neil O' Donnell walk (Should've kept him, XXX be damned), believed that Jim Miller/Mike Tomczak was the answer for a year, thought Kordell Stewart was a quarterback, and even then butchered him to death after 1997 by letting Yancy Thigpen and Chan Gailey walk into the trainwreck he's become known for. They also were willing to not draft Ben R. in 2004.

The Steelers did not respect the Quarterback position for years, so I don't exactly hold their evaluation for QB talent back then in high regard. Times have changed since then. Anyone, especially guys like Hodges should get a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Steelers in the 90's also let Neil O' Donnell walk (Should've kept him, XXX be damned), believed that Jim Miller/Mike Tomczak was the answer for a year, thought Kordell Stewart was a quarterback, and even then butchered him to death after 1997 by letting Yancy Thigpen and Chan Gailey walk into the trainwreck he's become known for. They also were willing to not draft Ben R. in 2004.

The Steelers did not respect the Quarterback position for years, so I don't exactly hold their evaluation for QB talent back then in high regard. Times have changed since then. Anyone, especially guys like Hodges should get a shot.
    I do not think steelers could keep Chan Gailey after the 1997 season since he became the HC of the Cowboys.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think Hodges would stick on the practice squad. I think you would be Tree trying for the conditional 7th and if not, cut Dobbs. Is someone really going to rush out to sign Dobbs? I’d risk that before risking Hodges potential on the PS. Maybe I’m just buying into the hype. If Dobbs gets picked up and Ben gets injured, are you really going to have that much of a drop off from Dobbs to a street free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t think Hodges would stick on the practice squad. I think you would be Tree trying for the conditional 7th and if not, cut Dobbs. Is someone really going to rush out to sign Dobbs? I’d risk that before risking Hodges potential on the PS. Maybe I’m just buying into the hype. If Dobbs gets picked up and Ben gets injured, are you really going to have that much of a drop off from Dobbs to a street free agent?
    Yes.

Remember what this team looked like under Vick? There's very few QBs that can walk in off the street and pick up a team's playbook let alone have ability to do things on the field. Although we've been disappointed by Dobbs this year as he took a step back from last year, I'd still take him over anyone off the street.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Collinsworth summed up Dobbs quite well - he'll make a great play here and there due to his athleticism, sandwiched by 2 other "WTF?" plays.

Know who else played like that? Kordell Stewart.

I'll be angry if Rudolph is listed behind Dobbs on the depth chart on opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Collinsworth summed it Dobbs quite well - he'll make a great play here and there due to his athleticism, sandwiched by 2 other "WTF?" plays.

Know who else played like that? Kordell Stewart.

I'll be angry if Rudolph is listed behind Dobbs on the depth chart on opening day.
    Don'y worry..It will not happen!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Rudolph took over the #2 job and ran away with it. As I said in the Gameday thread, his lone mistake all night was a miscommunication with Washington resulting in an INT. It looked like a horrible duck pass, but when you look at it, Rudolph was clearly expecting Washington to break outside. If JW doesn't stop his route. Its another first down. Easily correctable.

If anything, it really sells just how good Mason Rudolph really is.

Dobbs comes in the game and does what he does. An exciting play or two, but in the red zone, he badly misses a swing pass, then overthrows another. Steelers forced to settle for a field goal. These are fundamental and crippling flaws.

Dobbs may have played his last game as a Steeler. He just doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant a spot.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

What the hell, let's trade a fifth-round pick and a guy who we just drafted with a third-round pick, for a straight third-round pick in exchange. Also leaving ourselves dangerously thin at QB.

Art of the deal right there.

CHAMPIONSHIP!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What the hell, let's trade a fifth-round pick and a guy who we just drafted with a third-round pick, for a straight third-round pick in exchange. Also leaving ourselves dangerously thin at QB.

Art of the deal right there.

CHAMPIONSHIP!
    I'm more than happy with our fourth QB as the emergency back up. He has as much experience in regular season as Rudolph and about half a game less than Dobbs. In fact, we're going to probably drop either Dobbs or Rudolph (probably Dobbs) so why not try to get something for him?

Sarcasm only works when it's attached to logic.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'm more than happy with our fourth QB as the emergency back up. He has as much experience in regular season as Rudolph and about half a game less than Dobbs. In fact, we're going to probably drop either Dobbs or Rudolph (probably Dobbs) so why not try to get something for him?

Sarcasm only works when it's attached to logic.

Well, I think Rudolph is worth hanging on to. At least from what I've seen of him, he's got the potential to be a real QB.

I am also not really a fan of dumping a guy after one year, his rookie season ... for lower value than we spent to draft him ... when he's done nothing to cause concern that our hopes were unfounded ... and is also our best player at the position other than a top-tier starter ... and it's totally normal not to get on the field as a rookie QB when the starter is still good ... and his contract is not an issue ... and there's no real urgency to trade him ... and there's an excellent chance he'll fetch a higher trade value in another year or two if we eventually insist on trading him ... and if he does turn out to be any good, we'll have just traded a team in our conference the big missing piece it needed in exchange for peanuts, and he'll be busting our balls for the next 10 or 15 years. I assumed all that was kind of understood, but if everything has to be spelled out, then fine.

The Colts want to offer us a R1 pick or something crazy, then fuck yeah we ought to listen, but otherwise I don't see any point in flipping a draft pick for a loss after one year. Especially a guy who has the potential to be an important player for us. Right now, they lost their quarterback by surprise, boo-hoo Colts. But fuck 'em - it's not our job to bail them out with a juicy offer just because it happens to fit what THEY need. They want to trade for a QB from us (or anyone else), they better get out the lube and be ready to take 10 inches right up the stink tube. I'm not trading anything to them unless they're desperate and they make an offer that says so.

Dobbs can go get fucked. He's useless to us, and his ceiling turned out to be lower than we hoped, and we've now had plenty of good hard looks to establish that. I hope we can trade him for a garbage can. I don't think we'll even get that for him, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don’t know why anyone is worried about losing Hodges like he’s anything special. We keep Rudolph as our #2 and Dobbs as our #3... unless someone is willing to trade something for Dobbs, but odds are against it.

If Hodges never plays a down for the Steelers that’s a good thing. You people are really worried about losing him? The plan was always 99.99% that we’d lose him. And rightly so. He’s a nice story. I wish him well. But we’ll never be kicking ourselves if he ends up the #3 QB somewhere else. He’s not the second coming of Drew Brees.

I think we might be arguing too much about the 3rd and 4th QB job. There are a few questions that could help us sort of predict what the team might do:

1. Is Rudolph the #2 and still the developmental successor to Ben R? I think the answer is "Yes" -- so Rudolph isn't going anywhere.
    2. Is Dobbs on par or better than the #3 Qbs from this list (https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthchar...hchartpos/QB)? I would say "Yes".
    3. Is Hodges better than 50% of teh #3 QBs on the same list? I would say "Maybe".

Since only about half the league keeps 3 Qbs, is there really a big risk factor pushing Hodges through waivers to the PS? I would guess not. It is really hard to get reps for 2 QBs, let alone 3 or 4 in regular season practices. In fact, that may even be a reason for the Steelers to consider not keeping Hodges, what is he going to do all year? An additional factor in favor of keeping Dobbs as the #3 is that he can give you a solid "scout team" stand-in for the style of play from the Seahawks, Colts, Ravens, and Bills. Not sure if that is important, but in a close call (assuming the team sees it that way) between Dobbs and Hodges, then that could swing it.

Long story short, the more I think about it, the more I think that they try and get Hodges on the PS and Dobbs gets to stick on the 53 as the #3.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think we might be arguing too much about the 3rd and 4th QB job. There are a few questions that could help us sort of predict what the team might do:

1. Is Rudolph the #2 and still the developmental successor to Ben R? I think the answer is "Yes" -- so Rudolph isn't going anywhere.
    2. Is Dobbs on par or better than the #3 Qbs from this list (https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthchar...hchartpos/QB)? I would say "Yes".
    3. Is Hodges better than 50% of teh #3 QBs on the same list? I would say "Maybe".

Since only about half the league keeps 3 Qbs, is there really a big risk factor pushing Hodges through waivers to the PS? I would guess not. It is really hard to get reps for 2 QBs, let alone 3 or 4 in regular season practices. In fact, that may even be a reason for the Steelers to consider not keeping Hodges, what is he going to do all year? An additional factor in favor of keeping Dobbs as the #3 is that he can give you a solid "scout team" stand-in for the style of play from the Seahawks, Colts, Ravens, and Bills. Not sure if that is important, but in a close call (assuming the team sees it that way) between Dobbs and Hodges, then that could swing it.

Long story short, the more I think about it, the more I think that they try and get Hodges on the PS and Dobbs gets to stick on the 53 as the #3.
    Yes to all of this. I don’t understand the controversy. The only value there is in Hodges is IF we could possibly trade Dobbs for something that actually helps us... in which case Hodges could be our #3.

But this is a long shot and not really worth worrying about. So right now our depth chart should be Ben, then Rudolph, and Dobbs as the #3 (and as you say, a valuable scout team QB for certain opponents).

We don’t even have any real reason to hold onto Hodges on the PS. We don’t need him and we’ll never actually use him.

If anything we should be ROOTING for him to get picked up by some other team for his sake.

I think we might be arguing too much about the 3rd and 4th QB job. .
    Nailed it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mason Rudolph doesn’t read anything into being second QB on Sunday night

Posted by Josh Alper on August 26, 2019

The Steelers have been holding a competition for their backup quarterback job this summer and Sunday night’s game against the Titans was the latest data point to take into consideration.

Mason Rudolph followed Ben Roethlisberger into the game and threw a 41-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver James Washington on his second snap. He threw an interception later in the first half and then gave way to Josh Dobbs for the second half of the game. After the game, Rudolph said the order wasn’t a sign of how the competition is playing out.

“We switch it up every week, so I don’t read anything into it,” Rudolph said, via Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com. “When I am out there, I want to produce and do well and that’s the stuff I read into.”

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-sunday-night/

Between the Colts and the steelers,who said yes,who said no?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Between the Colts and the steelers,who said yes,who said no?

no, but I would trade them Dobbs and a case of Iron City for Doyle...