Donte Moncrief was sporting a bushy black beard when he reported to Saint Vincent for training camp six weeks ago. But when he looked around the Pittsburgh Steelers’ wide receivers room, it might have made him feel like a graybeard.

Moncrief is no grizzled vet, but he is by far the Steelers’ oldest and most experienced receiver. Signed to a two-year, $9 million contract in March, Moncrief has played as many NFL seasons (five) as the other four receivers who made the Steelers’ initial 53-man roster combined.

Moncrief turned 26 last month. The next-oldest Steelers receiver is 24. He has almost as many career games played (69) and catches (200) as the rest of the team’s receivers combined (76 and 227, respectively).

“I kind of look at him as my big brother on the field,” rookie Diontae Johnson said. “I look up to him because he’s been successful. He’s been in the league a few years. I am just trying to pick his brain and see how he looks at the game, and whatever information he gives me I try to apply that to my game.”

Aside from a thumb injury that prevented him from practicing for more than a week early in camp, Moncrief consistently has worked as a starting receiver throughout organized team activities, minicamp and the preseason.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ld-production/