Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I know Hodges is playing against 3rd stringers/guys who get cut but he looked good out there. And that one TD throw to Dionte Johnson while under pressure was an NFL caliber throw

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I know Hodges is playing against 3rd stringers/guys who get cut but he looked good out there. And that one TD throw to Dionte Johnson while under pressure was an NFL caliber throw
    And the problem with Dobbs is he is not consistant in the routine throw, as we can see in the tweet in post number 242 of this page

He showed 3 throw (2 yesterday and his bad throw against the raiders last year) and it was bad

It's easy for opposing defense to play against a QB like him when you're prepared since the only thing you need to do is play a soft zone and tackle the catch strategy since Dobbs struggle way too much to make his routine throw...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Devlin Hodges. Where in the flying hell did this guy come from?
    He is the NCAA’s all-time leading passer (yards).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Indeed.

The first knock on him was that he played at a smaller school/against weaker competition. But, so did Khalil Mack... and, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, heck, even Big Ben.

People will disregard what Hodges is doing, because it’s against “back-ups”. But, the kid has “it”. He was the talk of minicamp for a reason.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed.

The first knock on him was that he played at a smaller school/against weaker competition. But, so did Khalil Mack... and, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, heck, even Big Ben.

People will disregard what Hodges is doing, because it’s against “back-ups”. But, the kid has “it”. He was the talk of minicamp for a reason.
    How many people here ever heard of Augustana college in Illinois?

Some guy named Kenny Anderson came from there.

Eastern Illinois - Tony Romo

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed.

I saw another time on twitter that the comparison with Hodges was Tony Romo!

Romo was also an undrafted free agent.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    How many people here ever heard of Augustana college in Illinois?

Some guy named Kenny Anderson came from there.
    Pffft... what did he ever do!?!

Next you’ll try to tell me that some QB from Northern Illinois would be found bagging groceries one year, and then become the league MVP the next year.

Joking aside, the fact that Night Train Lane got drafted out of community college is the all-time “rags to riches” draft story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I saw another time on twitter that the comparison with Hodges was Tony Romo!

Romo was also an undrafted free agent.
    Yep. But, enough about the broadcast booth...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

BR, Rudolph, Hodges.

Trade Dobbs.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Dick "Night Train" Lane - what a story. The bus he rode went past the Rams stadium. He walked in and handed them a scrapbook and asked for a tryout. He originally was trying for a WR position. That is an all-time "rags to riches" story.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    BR, Rudolph, Hodges.

Trade Dobbs.
    For what?...For a Third string TE?

Dobbs has no trade value.

For what?...For a Third string TE?

Dobbs has no trade value.
    If he can catch turn him into a WR, if he can't make him an RB. Never hurts to have someone like that at another position. Wonder if the Steelers have even thought about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    If he can catch turn him into a WR, if he can't make him an RB. Never hurts to have someone like that at another position. Wonder if the Steelers have even thought about that?
    I do not think he's fast enough to play at this position.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed.

Carson Wentz came from the same subdivision and he was the 2nd pick. Louisiana Tech was in Division 2 when Bradshaw was there

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What would Dobbs' trade value be versus his value as a not terrible 3rd QB to the Steelers?

So if he is ONLY good enough to be a trade-bait 3rd QB, then what is that worth on the open market? A 7th rounder? A conditional 5th? Split the difference and say a 6th rounder.

What is more valuable to a team with deep playoff aspirations an extra low round dart throw or a 3rd QB that might actually be able to help a team win a game? I don't actually know. But it isn't like Dobbs is fetching a 3rd or 4th rounder in return.

I guess whether or not the team believes in Hodges and feels that he wouldn't make the PS could change the value judgements...but still a bit too early for all that.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    BR, Rudolph, Hodges.

Trade Dobbs.
    Interesting on how all the Dobbs slobbering has so quickly changed to sentiments of "trade Dobbs" .

I think the most fickle position of all to be in, is the Steelers backup QB position.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Landry’s trade value last year would have been higher than Dobbs right now. I see him on a practice squad somewhere. I only saw Rudolph’s touchdown led drive , so hard to judge with penalties every other play but he looked great on that drive. A few nice scrambles, nice throws in tight windows and dumped ball to rb’s when appropriate. I would say is a Neil O’Donnell type right now. We need to see more obviously

- - - Updated - - -

Landry’s trade value last year would have been higher than Dobbs right now. I see him on a practice squad somewhere. I only saw Rudolph’s touchdown led drive , so hard to judge with penalties every other play but he looked great on that drive. A few nice scrambles, nice throws in tight windows and dumped ball to rb’s when appropriate. I would say is a Neil O’Donnell type right now. We need to see more obviously

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Pffft... what did he ever do!?!

Next you’ll try to tell me that some QB from Northern Illinois would be found bagging groceries one year, and then become the league MVP the next year.
    UNI actually. He was stocking shelves at HyVee.
    -Iowegian
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Interesting on how all the Dobbs slobbering has so quickly changed to sentiments of "trade Dobbs" .

I think the most fickle position of all to be in, is the Steelers backup QB position.
    At least with this fan base... But how hard can it be actually? All you have to do is come into a game cold with little to no practice reps, know the entire playbook backwards and forwards, have the confidence of the entire first string offense, and play QB as well as Ben Roethlisberger. Piece of cake.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Landry’s trade value last year would have been higher than Dobbs right now.
    Are you sure? Landry was unemployed for months after being cut, he signed with the Jags but was then released after a couple weeks (keep in mind this a team starting Blake Bortles at QB). He then remains unemployed for months until the offseason where the Raiders sign him only to release him after only a few weeks (keep in mind the Raiders as of now are keeping Nathan Peterman on their roster, who may be the worst QB in NFL history).

I doubt any team was willing to trade for Landry

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Being able to move the chains and make accurate throws is the job of a backup. My biggest doubt about Dobbs is that he was terrible against a bottom feeding Oakland team last year. He hasn’t done much to change my mind. Rudolph and Hodges seem more capable to help the team win an ‘Oakland’ game this year if called upon.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

with a 45.6 QBR?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    with a 45.6 QBR?

This is the rock bottom for PFF...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    with a 45.6 QBR?
    They must be driving the Dobbs Slobbering bandwagon.

Seriously, even on the eye test he was awful ... His interception and his awful pass on the 3rd down and 5 some play before should be enough to have a negative grade, especially that Dobbs had only 11 pass attempts

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Josh Dobbs hasn't regressed. It's just that the QB competiton is much better than before.

When Dobbs won the #2 spot last season, he was going up against stiffs like Landry Jones and Bart Houston. This is why the Dobbs bandwagon was built in 2017-2018. Now he's going up against a progressing Mason Rudolph and Duck, who as a rookie is even better than both Dobbs and Rudolph's rookie seasons, and just may end up being the Darkhorse heir to Ben no one expected.

Dobbs is good, but he just isn't that good to seperate himself. His foepaws and issues (Accuracy, footwork) are magnified tremendously. Being the only quarterback to toss an interception last night (a horrible one in fact) makes it even worse.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Dobbs needs to put the XFL on speed dial.
    All Defense!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I despised the pick from day one.
    Hater = Realist