Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Quarterback

– Up and down this group. Yesterday was a rather ugly day across the board. Mason Rudolph has been better than Josh Dobbs. Really to all areas of the field but he’s showing more accuracy on the “easy” throws underneath and his placement/touch deep downfield. Dobbs was a little better yesterday and he can make impressive plays but he’s felt too scattershot with his accuracy to all levels of the field. Devlin Hodges is better than your typical #4 QB but let’s pump the brakes on anything more than that.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/20...tial-thoughts/

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

– Up and down this group. Yesterday was a rather ugly day across the board. Mason Rudolph has been better than Josh Dobbs. Really to all areas of the field but he’s showing more accuracy on the “easy” throws underneath and his placement/touch deep downfield. Dobbs was a little better yesterday and he can make impressive plays but he’s felt too scattershot with his accuracy to all levels of the field. Devlin Hodges is better than your typical #4 QB but let’s pump the brakes on anything more than that.
    When you read between the lines here, it sounds like the author is trying to cover for Dobbs by denigrating the whole group of QB's. An ugly day across the board, but doesn't name any specific examples of Rudolph sucking. If anything Rudolph will win the #2 spot on that alone. Making the "easy" throws is something not even most starters can do in the league.

Sounds like Dobbs has been subpar, while Rudolph has been competent at best.

"Scattershot Quarterback who can make big plays" isn't a recipe for success in the NFL. That sounds like a lot of 7-10 win seasons who hopes of being good, but never reaching that potential. That's a type of quarterback poor franchises like the Browns and Lions fall in love with.

We'll see when the real game action begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    When you read between the lines here, it sounds like the author is trying to cover for Dobbs by denigrating the whole group of QB's. An ugly day across the board, but doesn't name any specific examples of Rudolph sucking. If anything Rudolph will win the #2 spot on that alone. Making the "easy" throws is something not even most starters can do in the league.

Sounds like Dobbs has been subpar, while Rudolph has been competent at best.

"Scattershot Quarterback who can make big plays" isn't a recipe for success in the NFL. That sounds like a lot of 7-10 win seasons who hopes of being good, but never reaching that potential. That's a type of quarterback poor franchises like the Browns and Lions fall in love with.
    Yeah, one of the most important things in the NFL for a QB is to make the good decision and find the receiver who is open.... It's important to be able to make big play (one of reasons why I would never take Alex Smith as my QB) but a QB must be able to also make the right decisions,read the defense well and make the routine throw!

His things are very important for a QB.

The steelers only had 4 practices, but no way, Rudolph will not be our backup QB this year .... It would take a disaster for Rudolph to lose his job.

The practices are important ... Of course, when you're good in practice, not guaranteed you'll be good in the games, but if you're awful in practice, it's almost guaranteed you'll be bad in games. ... Maybe not in pre season but in the games in the regular season if you have to play because of a injury at Ben.

Funny how people pick and choose the reports that fit already set narratives. Dobbs also threw for two TDs, one of them a very nice throw to the TE in the back of the endzone. Rudolph also threw for two TDs. Source: Tunch and Wolf.

EDIT: I'm not saying Dobbs is better. Just that it is funny how things are reported.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

La Canfora Thinks Steelers ‘May Be In A Position’ To Get Trade Compensation For Joshua Dobbs

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on July 30, 2019

Are you looking for a reason to believe that the Pittsburgh Steelers would never in a million years trade Joshua Dobbs? Well then you’re in luck, because I have one for you: Jason La Canfora recently suggested that he believes it’s a possibility. Given his track record, one can assume that Dobbs should be in line for an extension shortly.

La Canfora went on The Fan yesterday speaking with Andrew Fillipponi and Chris Mueller to discuss the Steelers’ training camp so far, and at one point in the conversation, it turned to the quarterback position. “I think they may be in a position where they can get a decent draft pick for Josh Dobbs”, he told his hosts.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/la...-joshua-dobbs/

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

It has to be Rudolph. Dobbs will never be an NFL starter. Rudolph could be the guy for the next decade when Ben retires.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Dobbs had that terrible showing against Oakland and Rudolph is a complete unknown, so just from that I know Rudolph has the edge (I’m guessing in the minds of the coaches). I think it’s his to lose.

It being a crucial year, I wish we had a veteran backup such as a Charlie Batch or dare I say even Landry Jones...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Dobbs had that terrible showing against Oakland and Rudolph is a complete unknown, so just from that I know Rudolph has the edge (I’m guessing in the minds of the coaches). I think it’s his to lose.

It being a crucial year, I wish we had a veteran backup such as a Charlie Batch or dare I say even Landry Jones...
    The Steelers' Super Bowl window closed in 2017. Keeping a guy like Landry who clearly isn't the future would be pointless. The loss of AB makes this even more apparent that this year is strictly playing out the string for the future, which is why I believe fans should keep their expectations on 2019 tempered.

I'll say it right now: This isn't a Super Bowl team. It isn't even a playoff team. It's a team bracing itself for the inevitable transition, and they want it to go as smoothly as possible. Yeah, team chemistry and togetherness and all that, but outside of Ben, this is a team of complete unknowns and unprovens and no real team identity at all.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Rumor: Joshua Dobbs could be a trade chip for Steelers

by Tyler Jordan
    July 29, 2019

https://clutchpoints.com/steelers-ru...or-pittsburgh/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Hodges will have to show well for the Steelers to move on from Dobbs Imo.

The Steelers are serious about their 3 QB's.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The Steelers' Super Bowl window closed in 2017. Keeping a guy like Landry who clearly isn't the future would be pointless. The loss of AB makes this even more apparent that this year is strictly playing out the string for the future, which is why I believe fans should keep their expectations on 2019 tempered.

I'll say it right now: This isn't a Super Bowl team. It isn't even a playoff team. It's a team bracing itself for the inevitable transition, and they want it to go as smoothly as possible. Yeah, team chemistry and togetherness and all that, but outside of Ben, this is a team of complete unknowns and unprovens and no real team identity at all.
    I disagree, I think this team is better than last year, defense wise, and probably offense wise as well.

The steelers play to win every year, nothing has changed for them.

For the Super Bowl window, we never know .... Sometimes the steelers had a great season, even if the expectations were very low before the season (back in 2004, when the steelers were 26th in the power rankings by espn before the season, but they finished 15-1) or other year, the steelers had big expectations but they were a disappointment (as the whole killer B's era) .... So we will just have to focus on the present moment instead of predicting where that the steelers will finish or things like that.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    It has to be Rudolph. Dobbs will never be an NFL starter. Rudolph could be the guy for the next decade when Ben retires.
    WOW!
    There's no way Rudolph is the next guy.
    That guy won't be found UNTIL after Ben is gone and those years will be lean.

Landry Jones was cut after 2017 so I'm not sure what he has to do with this season.
    AB is a joke. Super talented and looked great along side Ben but he wanted his money and he got it now his career will look like Mike Wallace's.

The inevitable transition will be when you know Ben is playing out the last year of his deal. Otherwise as it stands (not saying it can't change) since his play hasn't dropped off they'll be in it to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    WOW!
    And I do not even know if our future QB after Ben is in college right now .... We do not know how much time left for Ben, but this is a topic we've been talking about for at least 5 years .... Many did not think that Roethlisberger was going to play his entire contract that he had back in 2015, but that's the case ... Easier for a QB to have a longer longevity now if the QB stays healthy.His injuries in the 2015 season were more of a fluke and bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    And I do not even know if our future QB after Ben is in college right now .... We do not know how much time left for Ben, but this is a topic we've been talking about for at least 5 years .... Many did not think that Roethlisberger was going to play his entire contract that he had back in 2015, but that's the case ... Easier for a QB to have a longer longevity now if the QB stays healthy.His injuries in the 2015 season were more of a fluke and bad luck.
    i wouldn't go that far saying its been like that for 5 years that's a bit of a stretch.
    Yes 2015 was when Barron went low and he had the MCL sprain and missed 4 games.

Dobbs is awful....For Rudolph,he need to be more aggressive, not always go to the checkdown..He is way too safe,but he is the number 2 QB right now because Dobbs is just awful.

Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger: 35/50 (70%) 406 yards (11.6 YPC) 5 TDs 1 INT
    Mason Rudolph: 35/48 (72.9%), 238 yards (6.8 YPC) 6 TDs 1 INT
    Josh Dobbs: 19/47 (40.4%), 168 yards (8.8 YPC) 2 TDs 4 INTs

Devlin Hodges: 19/26 (73.1%) 158 yards (8.3 YPC) 0 TDs 1 INT

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/20...medium=twitter

Dobbs is awful....For Rudolph,he need to be more aggressive, not always go to the checkdown..He is way too safe,but he is the number 2 QB right now because Dobbs is just awful.

Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger: 35/50 (70%) 406 yards (11.6 YPC) 5 TDs 1 INT
    Mason Rudolph: 35/48 (72.9%), 238 yards (6.8 YPC) 6 TDs 1 INT
    Josh Dobbs: 19/47 (40.4%), 168 yards (8.8 YPC) 2 TDs 4 INTs

Devlin Hodges: 19/26 (73.1%) 158 yards (8.3 YPC) 0 TDs 1 INT

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/20...medium=twitter
    you do realize this is in practice right...and literally proves nothing

you do realize this is in practice right...and literally proves nothing
    Being good in the practices guaranteed nothing, but being bad in the practices for a QB, it is almost certain you will be bad during the games ... Maybe not in the preseason, but during the regular season if you have to play.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They should take whatever they could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They should take whatever they could get.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

WOW!
    Based on what??

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I disagree, I think this team is better than last year, defense wise, and probably offense wise as well.
    Agree with you totally and can't understand the negativity when preseason hasn't even started.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I'm pulling for Mason and, i though he has a pretty strong arm hopefully he will play better.

Reason for Rudolph's progress in question but the results aren't

By JIM WEXELL
    Tue Jul 30 2019

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...rent-134055595

– The one thing Dobbs is doing well is driving the football downfield. Better than Rudolph overall. That does lend itself to more risks, a lower completion rate, though I still believe Rudolph has been better through the first six practices. This battle isn’t over yet. Long ways to go before those decisions need to be made.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/20...diary-day-six/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

– The one thing Dobbs is doing well is driving the football downfield. Better than Rudolph overall. That does lend itself to more risks, a lower completion rate, though I still believe Rudolph has been better through the first six practices. This battle isn’t over yet. Long ways to go before those decisions need to be made.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/20...diary-day-six/
    Down the field throws have always been one of Dobbs strengths. It's the throws in the middle of the field or 10 yards out where he struggles with accuracy.