Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: Who wins the Backup QB job? Josh Dobbs vs Mason Rudolph

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Interesting on how all the Dobbs slobbering has so quickly changed to sentiments of "trade Dobbs" .

I think the most fickle position of all to be in, is the Steelers backup QB position.
    I distinctly remember a Steeler fan at the bar who wanted the Steelers to put in Dobbs when were down late and playing the Jags...I literally laughed out loud.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I despised the pick from day one.
    I also hated this pick since day one, same thing for Rudolph, but it was not because of the player (especially in the case of Rudolph) but because the steelers did not need a QB right now .... But at the same time, the threat of retirement of Ben Roethlisberger's was one of the reasons why the steelers had drafted his 2 QBs, but I think the only reason why Ben had talked about retiring after the 2016 season was because of Todd Haley .

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Are you sure? Landry was unemployed for months after being cut, he signed with the Jags but was then released after a couple weeks (keep in mind this a team starting Blake Bortles at QB). He then remains unemployed for months until the offseason where the Raiders sign him only to release him after only a few weeks (keep in mind the Raiders as of now are keeping Nathan Peterman on their roster, who may be the worst QB in NFL history).

I doubt any team was willing to trade for Landry
    That’s my point, if We couldn’t get anything for an established backup , how would we get something for a third string unproven. I actually thought Landry would land somewhere, not the worst back up in league for sure.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Impressive!!! Truly. Not many outside of San Diego know how good The Burner was. This post made my day.
    Turnertheburner.com is a real thing ... trust me I have been a fan since Northern Illinois ...wanted the steelers to draft him in the worst kind of way ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    UNI actually. He was stocking shelves at HyVee.
    -Iowegian

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I also hated this pick since day one, same thing for Rudolph, but it was not because of the player (especially in the case of Rudolph) but because the steelers did not need a QB right now .... But at the same time, the threat of retirement of Ben Roethlisberger's was one of the reasons why the steelers had drafted his 2 QBs, but I think the only reason why Ben had talked about retiring after the 2016 season was because of Todd Haley .
    Ben's word is law in the Steelers clubhouse. If he is talking retirement, especially out in the open to the media, then you can't just dismiss it as fluff. Todd Haley or no.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ben's word is law in the Steelers clubhouse. If he is talking retirement, especially out in the open to the media, then you can't just dismiss it as fluff. Todd Haley or no.
    Very few QB would have been able to endure Todd Haley for 6 long years.

It's not the only time a QB forces an organization to do something ... Tom Brady had forced the pats to trade Jimmy Garoppolo 2 years ago..The important thing that happens very rarely something like that and that happened very rarely for Ben a thing like that

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So true, Ben's talking of retirement had to be seriously considered and having a viable #2QB on the roster was made necessary as soon as that discussion was out there.

I didn't like the drafting of Dobbs, because he wasn't ever looking worthy of being anything more than a backup QB, IMO. He didn't look like a starting NFL QB in the Senior Bowl or college. Rudolph at least has the footwork, arm strength, productivity and other intangibles as leadership, 3 seasons at Manning Passing academy, etc....that make him look like he will be able to start games in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

So true, Ben's talking of retirement had to be seriously considered and having a viable #2QB on the roster was made necessary as soon as that discussion was out there.

I didn't like the drafting of Dobbs, because he wasn't ever looking worthy of being anything more than a backup QB, IMO. He didn't look like a starting NFL QB in the Senior Bowl or college. Rudolph at least has the footwork, arm strength, productivity and other intangibles as leadership, 3 seasons at Manning Passing academy, etc....that make him look like he will be able to start games in the NFL.
    which he has ZERO productivity of at the NFL level but you're right he's a 'leader'. Feel like im watching NFL Network with Tomlinson...'he looks like a player' well no shit sherlock lol how about some actual analysis.
    Rudolph is becoming my backup version of Aaron Rodgers being grossly overrated without justification. It's just here say and fluff like this to boost stature into the upper echelon that makes me vomit.

And the Manning thing is fucking hilarious!
    I'm 6'4 230...I bet if I attended his academy it would make me look like I could start in the NFL too LOL!

How about people learn to accept that he's not the guy to take over he's a back up nothing more.

I'd pick Hodges before Rudolph because I can't stand the fictitious hype.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I mean if you are going to put someone on blast for lacking in actual analysis, it might be useful to offer some in your own reply.

But what do I know.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    which he has ZERO productivity of at the NFL level but you're right he's a 'leader'. Feel like im watching NFL Network with Tomlinson...'he looks like a player' well no shit sherlock lol how about some actual analysis.
    Rudolph is becoming my backup version of Aaron Rodgers being grossly overrated without justification. It's just here say and fluff like this to boost stature into the upper echelon that makes me vomit.

I'm 6'4 230...I bet if I attended his academy it would make me look like I could start in the NFL too LOL!

How about people learn to accept that he's not the guy to take over he's a back up nothing more.

Well, it is his second year. He proactively went out and got a QB coach to work on his issues and his progress from last preseason to this preseason is visibly better. Better footwork, very good accuracy, checking down, better fundamentals. He appears to be in command in the huddle and the players work to make plays for him (which speaks to leadership). Obviously he doesn’t have years of NFL experience to grade him on, however based on the above, he looks to be the real deal. What is not to like? Dobbs is more mobile and has decent long ball accuracy, but based on last season and this preseason, is completely inaccurate on the short crossing routes, he also doesn’t set his feet before some of his throws (see int against KC) so he needs to improve his fundamentals (something Rudolph did on his own remember). I wasn’t able to see Hodges play against KC (thanks NFL network) but from the first game, he played well also. If I had to make the cuts today, I would keep Rudolph and Hodges honestly, can’t have those big misses like Dobbs has on the short crossing routes.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post

Somebody piss in your corn flakes this morning?

Have you watched any interviews of Rudolph during the draft process? The interviews at the Senior Bowl with Mike Mayock and Charles Davis?, The pre draft QB session with Steve Mariucci? The 30 minute QB2QB show last year with Russell Wilson and Mason Rudolph? All are some good sources to gain insight into qualities that cannot be found on the stat sheet.

As for the Manning Passing Academy, I think being invited to be a Camp Counselor there is an honor and an opportunity to learn from greats and pass on to the younger generation of QB registrants. The starters at Ole Miss and Tennessee get automatic invites, while guys like Rudolph (who attended 3 seasons in a row) have to be selected. I don't see the reason for hate on guys that are selected multiple times to be part of counselling future college QB's. But have at it.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Checking in @ 3'6" and 550. I agree El.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Checking in @ 3'6" and 550. I agree El.
    Is that in bare feet, or with the Shoes on? Either way, very imposing in a B.J. Raji kind of way.

5'11-3/4", 230 and just sitting around waiting for my invite to camp.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Is that in bare feet, or with the Shoes on? Either way, very imposing in a B.J. Raji kind of way.

5'11-3/4", 230 and just sitting around waiting for my invite to camp.
    That would be "Shoes" on and besides that I have no opinion on Steeler TE position.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'm leaning towards Rudolph right now. Dobbs just hasn't impressed me at all, I just don't think he could win games if Ben went down. The long scoring drive that Rudolph had against KC proved it to me. It seems that the player's are comfortable with him, he checks the whole field, reads the defenses, and looks to handle the plays with confidence. Hodge also seems to deserve some serious looks and snaps as a 3rd. Dobbs just looks like a simple, average QB ( not franchise) to me. Just my opinion. Keep Rudooph as back up and battle out Hodge vs Dobbs for possible 3rd.

That would be "Shoes" on and besides that I have no opinion on Steeler TE position.
    OK, but you do know that the Steelers could have passed on Dobbs and instead selected George Kittle in the 4th round in 2017?

OK, but you do know that the Steelers could have passed on Dobbs and instead selected George Kittle in the 4th round in 2017?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Nice to see you. Must have been vacationing in Nova.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There's no trade market for Dobbs. The same people were saying trade Landry Jones for a 4th lol.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    There's no trade market for Dobbs. The same people were saying trade Landry Jones for a 4th lol.
    Nailed it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Sold.
    me too, I'll take a conditional 7th round draft pick in 2029 for Dobbs...

Randy Fichtner Breaks Down The Rudolph Vs Dobbs Battle

ByAlex Kozora

Mike Tomlin framed it as an ongoing battle.

And Randy Fichtner provided the update.

Speaking with Steelers.com’s Missi Matthews, Fichtner gave his evaluation of Mason Rudolph and Josh Dobbs.

“They’re both different types of quarterbacks,” Fichtner explained. “Josh is very mobile and he’s not afraid to break it down with his legs. He’s made some really big plays for us.”

Dobbs’ mobility is unique for a quarterback and he’s already dazzled when pulling the ball down. His 49 yards rushing on three carries makes him the leader in rushing yards through two games. But Dobbs doesn’t look to exclusively run either. He’s shown the ability to hang in the pocket and run only when he has to, not at the first sign of trouble.

Fichtner then discussed Rudolph’s progression in that critical Year One to Year Two jump.

“Mason’s done a nice job improving on pocket passing, pocket movement, delivery of the football and making better decisions. I told him in the beginning protecting the ball will be as important as anything.”

Nowhere was Rudolph’s pocket presence more evident than this 3rd down completion to Xavier Grimble Saturday night. The slide to his left to avoid the blitzing DB, buying enough time to get the ball out.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/ra...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The coaches see the that the quarterback competition is heated and want to start pushing them more. Rudolph and Hodges are red-hot, and Dobbs is trying, but is so far unable to keep up.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

The coaches see the that the quarterback competition is heated and want to start pushing them more. Rudolph and Hodges are red-hot, and Dobbs is trying, but is so far unable to keep up.
    Rudolph has been playing great but just have a feeling that Hodges maybe the best of the bunch.